Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
Hi all,

For cartridge play with friends/randoms, I'm facing a choice between Hidden Power Fire and Knock Off on a defensive Venusaur set:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
(EVs/nature undecided, leaning towards bold/def)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Fire/Knock Off

The only other Fire coverage on my team is Rotom/Overheat, whereas Dark has Mega Blastoise (Dark Pulse) and Heracross with Knock Off as well. Initially, HP Fire was used to combat other grass types and now with Sleep powder/LS mechanics, I need a surefire move to make sure I can challenge these guys.

Ignoring the difficulty in getting perfect IVs for HP Fire, my concern is being walled by Ferrothorn (Limited ways to deal with it on the rest of my team) Amoongus, or even Breloom. Knock Off's utility and generally neutral coverage is extremely useful, however, which could at least cripple attempts to stall out my own staller. Thoughts?
Idk, regular Venu is p bad, loses all its bulk & thick fat. The only reason to use it would be on some gimmicky sun team thing. HP Fire isn't even that hard to get in-game.

HP Fire should only need to be used if your team struggles vs. Scizor or Ferrothorn, no? Because to other grass-types Sludge Wave always does more (STAB Boost). I think it's dependent on how good team support is for you to decide your moveset. For Example, I don't think Rotom-H would be a good consistent switch-in to Ferrothorn. If it were my team I would do Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, HP Fire, Synthesis. I would have something like LO Keldeo that takes care of steel types like Heatran. Also why is Venusaur not mega, is it a sun sweeper.
Regular defensive Venusaur, despite having two more weaknesses and worse defenses, has served me pretty well as a Subseed/stall mon. (I know Amoongus exists, but it doesn't have Leech Seed) I know this build is worse in this meta, but perhaps I should have added casual cartridge play. I just want to know what's most effective; based on your post I think that I have enough on the rest of my team to deal with particular guys that give Venusaur trouble, and will just stick with Knock Off.

Idk, regular Venu is p bad, loses all its bulk & thick fat. The only reason to use it would be on some gimmicky sun team thing. HP Fire isn't even that hard to get in-game.
I'm not running Sun, so I think I've found my answer for sure. HP Fire just isn't strong enough to cut it anymore.

Thanks to you both!

Alright so I SR my game with the event Jirachi and I got one with its IVs being 31/31/31/X/31/31 and naturally I was psyched! But it has a Lax nature which is kinda awkward and it has a meh Special Attack IV. Any suggestions? Should I keep this one or SR for a different one?

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Good partners for Toxicroak? I've been interested in using it for a while now cuz being a Scald switchin and Keldeo hard check is awesome, especially with Sucker Punch to beat stuff like the Lati's.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good partners for Toxicroak? I've been interested in using it for a while now cuz being a Scald switchin and Keldeo hard check is awesome, especially with Sucker Punch to beat stuff like the Lati's.
For starters, toxicroak is an extremely shaky check to keldeo in general and the biggest appeal for toxicroak is being a really nice azumarill check for offense (particularly belly drum) so dont use toxicroak as your sole keldeo or water check.

Toxicroak has a lot of trouble getting past bulky psychic and ground types in general so stuff that can damage or take advantage of them is recommended. Stuff like weavile or mamoswine come to mind for the ground types (weavile has the added bonus of nailing psychics as well).

Mega Gyarados pairs well with Toxicroak as it can break past Psychics and Grounds that trouble Toxicroak. Toxicroak helps to get rid of Azumarill, Chesnaught and Tangrowth which it dislikes.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
Alright so I SR my game with the event Jirachi and I got one with its IVs being 31/31/31/X/31/31 and naturally I was psyched! But it has a Lax nature which is kinda awkward and it has a meh Special Attack IV. Any suggestions? Should I keep this one or SR for a different one?
Toss asap

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It depends. Do you mind spending a couple more hours SRing for a jolly/calm one? If yes toss. If no, either take a break and then toss or keep it and just use it in casual play. SRing is tiring and mundane, so it is just down to initiative and purpose.

I have another couple to reset for, but is there any use for a Modest Jirachi (just resetted to a 31/19/31/31/29/31)?
No. You could try and innovate I guess, but aside from that Jolly / Careful is what you should aim for to get the most out of it.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have another couple to reset for, but is there any use for a Modest Jirachi (just resetted to a 31/19/31/31/29/31)?
i disagree with the above sentiments, ebelt lurerachi can run any combination of doom desire,psychic,hp ground,tbolt, special grass coverage (i forget what it gets), and maybe future sight and it's pretty fun to use. Although u wanna go jolly for scarf and careful for spd rachi.

Not sure what would be the appropriate forum, but this is a one time question either way. On Pokemon Yellow 3DS, is there any way to get a second thunderbolt tm besides the one from Vermillion City gym? Need it for chansey. Thanks for any help

Actually are there any reasons to use Hoopa-C over Gengar apart from that 150 SpA? Gengar has a much higher Speed and has Taunt, Wisp, Icy Wind, D Bond, Dazzling Gleam (screw Sableye), etc. on the last slot. As in they both wreck Balance and passive teams but Gengar still threatens Offense with that high Speed.

As in any examples where Hoopa-C is better? Except Spinblocking against Starmie and maybe checking Lati@s, I mean.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually are there any reasons to use Hoopa-C over Gengar apart from that 150 SpA? Gengar has a much higher Speed and has Taunt, Wisp, Icy Wind, D Bond, Dazzling Gleam (screw Sableye), etc. on the last slot. As in they both wreck Balance and passive teams but Gengar still threatens Offense with that high Speed.

As in any examples where Hoopa-C is better? Except Spinblocking against Starmie and maybe checking Lati@s, I mean.
Hoopa-C can set up vs stall with np, has psyshock as coverage to hit special walls and fat poisons, and has a useful typing vs fat teams in general.

Im trying to make a sand team around mega chomp. What are a few good core that are non sand that complement mchomp/ttar/exa
Well they'd really appreciate something that can handle Keldeo such as Amoongus or Tangrowth. The latter of which is when you'd like more offensive presence. Hazard Removal could be a goal you'd like so Latios or Starmie would be appropriate teammates to consider. Lastly, a definite Stallbreaker that isn't affected by burns, such as Manaphy (who also brings a rain aspect for dual weather) or a more balanced route with something like Clefable, who'd be a great teammate to handle Latios.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.

Idk, maybe gimmicky TR+NP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)