Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Can somebody direct me to the old OU greninja analyses? If not can somebody post what sort of spread, nature, item and moveset greninja used when it was last OU?

Thanks a bunch.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Ashib above analysis is from XY Greninja, ORAS Greninja used LO with 40 Atk, 216 SpA, 252 Spe (sometimes 240 Atk 16 SpA on Gunk + Low Kick sets). Gunk Shot and Ice Beam were the most commonly used moves, other two moves usually were a choice between Low Kick, Hydro Pump, HP Fire and Dark Pulse, but there are other alternatives such as Extrasensory, Grass Knot and Spikes.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hp ice / fire lando-t is the future pls. legit tho. with the metagame being so glued together by lando-t , if you have something viable enough to deal with the more physically oriented flyers like mpins and talon, then hp ice lando-t can help increase the chance of winning since a lot of games come down to who can knock out the opposing lando-t first since it has so much role compression into one mon but lacks the viable recovery.

tldr - hp ice lando-t is the future.

zbr I remember I used to run HP ice Lando-t back in early XY all the time to catch scarf Landos that tried to switch in.

0- SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 196-232 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm not sure what kind of spread Lando-t would run with HP Ice (I think i used to run Naive w/LO, but that was a long time ago and a different meta). It's pretty cool the 2HKO is guaranteed with no investment and jolly/adamant nature since HP Ice is used pretty much exclusively for other Landos, so outside of a moveslot you aren't sacrificing any of his defensive/offensive potential.

I'm a little more iffy on HP fire though, it requires actual investment (Naive nature, Life Orb) to 2HKO regular targets of the move like Ferrothorn or Mega Scizor, but I guess you hit more targets than HP Ice.

4 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 177-213 (50.2 - 60.5%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Earth Plate Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 144-169 (40.9 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 198-234 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Earth Plate Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 144-169 (41.9 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit: Forgot Gliscor
0- SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 152-180 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
4 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 218-260 (61.9 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Keep in mind HP Ice also hits SD Garchomp for respectable damage, and it can put a dent in gliscor if need be, although Gliscor can roost of the damage if it's at decent HP.

0- SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 188-224 (52.6 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 152-180 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal (ph+roost makes this v hard to KO without a ton of prior damage)

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
What's a good special wall in the OU tier? I always find myself lacking coverage on the special side
if what you really want is a special wall the best one there is is chansey. If youre using a more offensive team that cant afford the momentum black hole chansey adds to your team you can go for something like clefable which blanket checks a ton of special attackers with its decent bulk + cm. There are other options ofc but these are probably the biggest two.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just something to keep in mind but a lot of players have the concept of "physical attacker + special attacker + physical wall + special wall" and this kind of mentality can lead to some team builds that really aren't conducive to battle flow. I'm not saying you were necessarily taking that mentality but for the most part if you need a certain something for your team it's not necessarily a "special wall" but maybe needs to consolidate certain threat coverage such as Latios and Gardevoir or something along those lines. So yeah I would try to consider which pokemon are threats to your specific team rather than thinking that you're weak to special attacks in a general spectrum since that kind of thinking can get you in trouble. I recognize that post may just be looking for a general idea or starting points and maybe you don't have a build in mind but I just wanted to leave this here in case it might be helpful to anyone when considering how to go about building

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
What's a good special wall in the OU tier? I always find myself lacking coverage on the special side
Ah...it actually depends on the playstyle you want. For checking all the special attackers obviously there is chansey but if you are using an offensive or even semi-offensive team chansey is just a big fat momentum drain. So its much better to look into what threatens your team most, for eg. if you are threatened by char-y the most, you can use latis as they do excellently against it 1v1. But again if you are weak to mega gard or diancie, latis won't be able to help you, but then you'll need someone like spdef jirachi or bulky mega zor.

Just a simple quest. Thundurus-Therian has any viability in Over Used? If so, How should use it Properly and what teammates i can choose to make his potential reach the Maximum.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Just a simple quest. Thundurus-Therian has any viability in Over Used? If so, How should use it Properly and what teammates i can choose to make his potential reach the Maximum.
Tbh I don't think thundurus-t has any viability over normal thundy, though his special attack stat is powerful but still due to having to rely on hidden powers though it is supposed to be a "wallbreaker" kind of diminishes its utility. Plus volt absorb is no where near as good an ability like prankster, thats the biggest plus for normal thundy, that its able to force out stuff like latias which should be able to wall it using a prankster t-wave. Though ironically it kind of beats normal thundy as t-bolt koes after life orb damage.
Also its speed tier leaves it slower that keldeo or base 110s which is just bad.
But, if you still want to use it

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

This is the best set, with modest + life orb providing good enough power and agility patching up that speed, you can try hp flying over hp ice to 2Hko mega venusaur or try to fit knock off somewhere for chansey switch in.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As someone with a fair amount of experience with using it, I can say that Thundy-T is kinda iffy. That said it works if you need the role compression courtesy of Volt Absorb and slightly higher firepower on it's double dance/NP sets. If you want to use it a good starting point is this set:

Thundurus-Therian @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Agility / Focus Blast / Grass Knot

You can mess around with the item or coverage to suit the needs of your team if you want (although I'm personally not that keen on non-BoltBeam as it is really helpful for beating a lot of stuff (which is conducive to cleaning)+Lando-T and Garchomp are fucking everywhere). I've also seen SubSalac used before, although personally I think that regular Thundy does this better despite it's slightly lower firepower 'cause of Prankster. Timid isn't mandatory without Agility as it doesn't outpace jolly Garchomp anyway and a lot of base 100s either get scared out by it or run neutral natures anyway, although it can be nice if ur team is desparately weak to positive base 100s.

I want to make an offensive team based around Zard X, with a wallbreaker or two, hazard control, pivots, possibly priority and importantly, Healing Wish. What would be some good mons for these jobs?

Contrary to what Martin suggested above Thundy-T should almost always be Agility + 3 attacks. It's notable because it gets some KOes that LO Thundy-I misses, and the higher SpA works better with Agility.

Azumarill, Thundurus and Latias all compliment Char X quite nicely (although I think Latios foes the job better and I don't think HW is that essential for CharX). Azu can deal with things like TTar and Lando-T, while Thundurus takes on the Fat waters like Slowbro and Latios/as provides hazard control. I wouldn't consider pivots that important tbh though

I'll also like to add in HeraChris post some Hazard Removal. Excadrill is a meh hazard setter and spinner but can weaken many of Zard X's checks. Starmie a water mon who his also a great spinner. Healing Wish is mostly niche but pokes that learn Healing wish and are viable are Jirachi, Celebi, Lopunny (though I wouldn't recommend it), Clefable (Clefairy learns it by lvl up so I suppose Clefable has it), Gardevoir, Latias, and Mespirit.

Looking for team advice
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

This team has been working pretty well for me, but I want some suggestions on how I can better handle Keldeo. Right now my strategy for it is to lure it out with Garchomp and hit it with EQ, which should get it in +1 Crunch range, but I realized that won't work in most games because Keldeo will have other teammates that can handle Garchomp better. I'm also looking at fixing the Electric-type weakness - possibly swapping out chomp for another ground? Tangrowth is a problem too but no team is perfect. Chomp and talon are the only members I'd be willing to swap out. Any help would be appreciated!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looking for team advice
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

This team has been working pretty well for me, but I want some suggestions on how I can better handle Keldeo. Right now my strategy for it is to lure it out with Garchomp and hit it with EQ, which should get it in +1 Crunch range, but I realized that won't work in most games because Keldeo will have other teammates that can handle Garchomp better. I'm also looking at fixing the Electric-type weakness - possibly swapping out chomp for another ground? Tangrowth is a problem too but no team is perfect. Chomp and talon are the only members I'd be willing to swap out. Any help would be appreciated!
One thing to consider would be to run Bounce>Sub on Gyarados with a small amount of bulk investment. Delaying mega evolution doesn't really have many drawbacks, and being able to switch in on non-HP Elec Keld depending on prior damage (252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 146-172 (44.1 - 51.9%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO) while also beating Amoonguss, Tangrowth and MVenu is nice just as a general practice. It's not a completely reliable answer 'cause Scald but it's better than having no switch-in at all.

That said I think your strategy for handling it is extremely inefficient, considering that you have both Talonflame and Latios in the back who both outpace Specs variants (Talon comes in on a faint or predicted Secret Sword/Focus Blast/Icy Wind, Latios can take any one hit and retalliate barring a speed drop from Icy Wind) and can dent it with Acro and Psyshock respectively. If you are desparate to floor strategies surrounding it (i.e. Keld+BandTar) you could run Surf>Roost, but I wouldn't advise it as a locked Tyranitar is setup bait for Mega Gyarados and you can double out until Keld is in range anyway and can create 50:50s with it, which the ability to Roost up is nice for. Alternatively you could run a bulky Latias variant (the set listed below takes 2 Icy Winds before rocks barring 2 max rolls and KOs back (Shock KOs after rocks too but it's disappointingly weak a lot of the time)). This gives you a reasonably consistent switch-in to Keldeo rather than relying on constant RKing, which the team lacks atm, at the cost of immediate firepower--which is definitely something you should take into account before deciding whether or not to make the change. You could also consider a bulkier Azumarill variant so that you can use it to switch into Keld in a pinch. Experiment a little and see what works and what doesn't is all I can say here.

Last thing to say is that a Magnezone that can't trap SDTurn Mega Scizor is not a good Magnezone imo, so I suggest bumping the speed up to 128 or more to outpace uninvested Mega Scizor to fire off an attack before it can escape you with U-turn.

Kinda subjective, but then again rating is subjective so yeah. If anyone else has feedback please give it.

I am building a team I want to try (first attempt at teambuilding and I did quite a bit of studying) but I don't want to do anything dumb with EVs since I've put a lot of time into breeding these Pokemon. So for context, my team is based on a Charizard X and CB Azumarill core with LO & hex gengar as the special attack/stallbreak support. I am thinking the other three will be Klefki @ air balloon?, Spin/def Starmie, and SR Clefable @ leftovers.

I won't get into the specifics for my entire team, but basically I want Klefki to be a prankster headache and my clefable to be a hazard-setting tank. (Both of these should spread status and make my gengar's hex wreck walls). So, I would lead with either klefki (who has air balloon and can lay spikes, spread status) or clefable (who has rocks and can take a couple hits, especially as lead)

I am wondering who fits as a lead best considering the rest of my team. I like the idea of ice beam on clefable to OHKO opposing garchomp and landorus T hopefully. Klefki would presumably be safe from these with air balloon (or i could use magnet rise, but I would rather take toxic for all the ground leads). So basically I am wondering which makes the better lead and what their respective sets should be in either case. Also, if you see any glaring weaknesses in my team, I appreciate all advice! I am not asking you to review my entire team, though. Thanks in advance!

Also, quick question: Can opponent tell if pokemon is holding air balloon? Would it be better to use the berry protecting from ground type attacks if they can? Thanks

Last edited:
I am building a team I want to try (first attempt at teambuilding and I did quite a bit of studying) but I don't want to do anything dumb with EVs since I've put a lot of time into breeding these Pokemon. So for context, my team is based on a Charizard X and CB Azumarill core with LO & hex gengar as the special attack/stallbreak support. I am thinking the other three will be Klefki @ air balloon?, Spin/def Starmie, and SR Clefable @ leftovers.

I won't get into the specifics for my entire team, but basically I want Klefki to be a prankster headache and my clefable to be a hazard-setting tank. (Both of these should spread status and make my gengar's hex wreck walls). So, I would lead with either klefki (who has air balloon and can lay spikes, spread status) or clefable (who has rocks and can take a couple hits, especially as lead)

I am wondering who fits as a lead best considering the rest of my team. I like the idea of ice beam on clefable to OHKO opposing garchomp and landorus T hopefully. Klefki would presumably be safe from these with air balloon (or i could use magnet rise, but I would rather take toxic for all the ground leads). So basically I am wondering which makes the better lead and what their respective sets should be in either case. Also, if you see any glaring weaknesses in my team, I appreciate all advice! I am not asking you to review my entire team, though. Thanks in advance!

Also, quick question: Can opponent tell if pokemon is holding air balloon? Would it be better to use the berry protecting from ground type attacks if they can? Thanks
You don't need a dedicated lead unless you're playing Hyper Offence (still not necessary) which you are not so don't concern yourself with that. The opponent can see if you are holding an air balloon, however Klefki really likes leftovers and it can run Magnet Rise which is a great alternative.

Ill just answer what i can answer before i pass out. Yes the opponent can see the Air Balloon, and yes Shuca Berry is a viable option over it for two reasons. It wont pop after a random u-turn, and the opponent doesnt see it coming.

And yes, magnet rise klefki is ass, shuca or balloon is better choices even though it cuts your longevity by a ton. Tbf i think you should get a ground resist/immunity which is reliable (gengar is not) onto your squad and just use klefki with lefties and no magnet rise. Ye lando will abuse you hard, but who cares. Toxic him on the switch or somethin. Its overused to hell and back but get your hands on a lando-t at the very least. Makes it so that any variation of excadrill doesnt 6-0 you (azu can revenge only as it can ko but will struggle with switch-ins)

Also hexgar prefers lefties, as statusboosted hexes hits as hard as life orb shadowball (roundabout)but with lefties it can do a better job at stallbreaking with subs will o and taunt more relia ly i guess.

And ye, leads are something for hyper offense only (or 4th gen squads), instead youll pick your lead based on the opposing squad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)