Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Team 2 by Waffleztastegood has won this delayed round! (Sorry guys, I will have this updated more often, pinky promise). It will added to the hall of fame at some point in time fr fr.

Lets just go move to the next round...

Round 19
/
/

Unranked

For the following round we are going to use the unranked pokemon card. ORAS is kind of a solved meta (or not?) in terms of whats usable. Think you can give us a new and funny surprise of something that can just work but isnt ranked? Now is the time! The challenge this round is building with a team with an unranked mon. Please refer to the following VR Thread which is the most updated: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-viability-rankings.3623399/

This round will last until Sunday 30th and 11:59 PM GMT -5. Best of lucks to everyone

Cheers!

Lucario webs : https://pokepast.es/3b699fec083797b4
:sm/shuckle: :sm/cofagrigus: :sm/bisharp: :sm/lucario: :sm/crawdaunt: :sm/gardevoir-mega:

I checked the vr and saw no Lucario so i decided to build a team based around Lucario. Lucario is lowkey hard to wall after sword dance, the combination of close combat/iron tail/crunch. It also have extreme speed which can be useful to revenge kill annoying moth after quiver dance or any dragon dance user such as Dragonite. Lucario also have justified ability that can be useful if you switch into knock off from Weavile and Bisharp. Lucario also have 90 base speed which make it faster than best mon in the tier (Excadrill).

Teambuilding process :
I want to make Lucario hard to wall so I figured webs might be the best option because i can afford to not use extreme speed. So I picked Shuckle as second member of the team. I picked Cofagrigus as third member of the team because it is a ghost type which mean it can spinblock Excadrill. I picked Bisharp as fourth member because defiant can be useful if opponent have defog and Bisharp appreciate webs as well. I picked Crawdaunt as fifth member because it can be useful to revenge kill Volcarona and it appreciate webs. The last member of the team must be a wallbreaker that benefit from webs. There are many option such as Medicham, Heracross and Scizor but I picked Mega Gardevoir as last mon because it is underrated mega and hard to switch into especially under webs.

Viable changes that you can make
1) Mega Scizor/Mega Medicham/Mega Heracross over Mega Gardevoir because they are also strong wallbreaker especially under webs.
2) Lum berry/Life orb on bisharp and crawdaunt because it more reliable compared to quick claw.
3) Extreme speed over crunch on Lucario because it helps against tornadus but worse against Slowbro,Cofagrigus,Reuniclus and Latias.

Scarf Shaymin Balance : https://pokepast.es/8f214e6e120c2881
:shaymin: :talonflame: :metagross: :clefable: :excadrill: :rotom-wash:

There was no Shaymin in the vr rankings so I thought I would use it. On this team I use scarf shaymin , sometimes its stab Seed Flare can be very spammable and with the Choice Scarf you can find yourself in a good position spamming that , granted you hit. And obviously with a great support move in healing wish it can be quite useful. I use Hidden Power Rock because we dont give free turns to Volcarona out here , also hits annoying mons such as Talonflame or Tornadus for supper effective damage . (You can probabbly just replace it with HP Rock Serperior and you'd have a better team)

The mega of my choice is Mega Metagross , in my opinion one of the best megas in the tier , its crazy strong , crazy fast and all around a power house.Its almost impossible to switch in to if Stealth Rocks are up which Clefable can get up very easily.I use Thunder Punch on this set because I want to abuse the Skarm switch in as much as I can , especially if it gets the Meteor Mash boost. Earthquake is there as a move that can OHKO Heatran and a stronger attack to use versus Volcanion which is one of the best answers to this Pokemon.Sometimes you are fine even taking a burn with this because of Healing Wish support so you arent scared out immediately by pokemon like Cofagrigus , Slowbro or if you are really desperate to get damage , even Rotom-Wash.
I use support Talonflame because it covers my Volcarona weakness , Mold Breaker Excdrill weakness and can come in clutch with strong acrobatics when needed.I really love this mon and I will use it as much as I can.
Excadrill , Rotom-Wash and Clefable make a very good core together , very powerful support moves between these 3 like Will O Wisp , Knock Off , Rapid Spin , Toxic and Stealth Rock which all make a lot of progress making it easier for the MMeta and Scarf Shaymin to do their jobs.Their sets dont really need any explaining.

Shout out to Seasons for helping me out on this.

Hope you all enjoy.

PhrogC

formerly BustedBeedrill
:sm/celebi: :sm/cobalion: :sm/slowbro-mega: :sm/heatran: :sm/thundurus: :sm/gastrodon:

Celebi bulky offense
https://pokepast.es/c454bf54c5e91008

Hi guys, hope you're all having a wonderful day. Today I bring this team with Celebi, a very cool mon.

Team presentation:
1. Celebi has an amazing movepool and interesting typing, so while it has been the first mon to be added, its moveset and EVs were some of the last to be decided so they suit well the rest of the team. I opted with a recover nasty plot set with leaf storm and hp fire, which is meant to lure Skarmory and Ferrothorn in, two hazard setters that can be annoying to this team since it has no removal. It is EVd to outrun neutral 100s (mainly for Manaphy and Adamant MMedicham) while still retaining neat bulk to switch into scalds, Rotom, Keldeo... which helps MSlowbro and Gastrodon stay healthy to better check more hardcore offensive threats. The colbur berry is to get away from Weavile once and lure Tyranitar so it can smack it with leaf storm for MSlowbro. Celebi's niche over Serperior in this specific slot is its better instant power, status absorbing and focus blast resistance.
2. Cobalion is there as a fantastic partner for Celebi and MSlowbro, it mainly takes care of Bisharp and Weavile, finishes off weakened Clefables, resists u turns and gives pivoting to this team's slower members. It is kinda revenge kill/read dependent however, but with some flashy plays and rocks up you can check some of the most obnoxious mons in the tier like the MCharizards, Excadrill, MGardevoir, MDiancie if at full health (very situational but good to know), Manaphy (you volt switch into Celebi or Thundy) and Weavile (so Celebi doesnt need to eat colbur for Cobalion to come in).
3. MSlowbro is there because it's so zased, but aside from that, it also checks a ton of physical threats and some special ones that Gastrodon may not be able to handle alone, as well as acting as a win condition. Every member of the team supports MSlowbro in their own way by relieving defensive pressure from it and wearing/taking down checks.
4. Heatran is there to do Heatran stuff and chip mons with hazards, trapping and status. It's the main bulky steel and it checks non hp ground moth. It's EVd to outspeed defensive Lando to taunt it (since this team has no removal) or just finish it down, while still keeping nice bulk.
5. Thundy is there to be a pain in the ahh
6. Gastrodon is there because it rounds up the defensive backbone of this team well, provides a volt immunity, and mirror coat is hype.

Here it is! Hope you like it and make some sick reads :sphearical:

https://pokepast.es/70faff684e901e68
Porygon-Z hazard stack balance

Team analysis:
Porygon-Z is the star of this team a incredibly strong hitter with adaptability and choice specs you can get some crazy damage vs even resisted hits
trick and nasty plot to blast through super bulky teams you can run trick+agility to try and beat faster more offensive team though
Rotom-W is next since I want good switch into most steel types as well as being able to bring in porygon-z and it can burn things like ferrothorn which might give Porygon-z a hard time
Cofag is here for its spin blocking excadrill as well as being able too lay down tspikes as well as serve as a good mega lopunny check
Ferrothorn is next for a good manaphy check and being able to lay down spikes can take on non hammer arm mega metagross and to lay off some pressurefor cofag
Mega Diancie for a strong fast wallbreaker that can also take advantage of the hazards being layen down
Garchomp for a volcarona check as well as an extra buffer against strong physical attacker especially bisharp

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We have a good couple of things, ty all! Lets get the voting started! To make sure the teams are good for the criteria the unranked mon will be labelled alongside the number of the team.

Team 1 (Archeops)

Team 2 (Lucario)

Team 3 (Shaymin)

Team 4 (Celebi)

Team 5 (Porygon-Z)

Voting should last until Wednesday 9th at 11:59 PM GMT -5. May be the best one win!

Cheers!

MrAldo

Hey
REVIVAL!

We are back on the hiatus(?) in this thread. Lets see if we can make it work and have more consistency, this time has been used to gather for future rounds. Team 5 by Waffleztastegood has won this round with P-Z Balance, congrats once more. I definitely need to update the HoF, I swear... For now lets try something funky with this round.

Round 20
/
/

All these 3 have 1 thing in common and it is the Snow Warning ability. The challenge for this round consists of making use of Snow Warning on a team. No cleaner in this gen yet for powerful accurate blizzards and breaking sashes on pretty much everything bar ice types has some merit. Id expect all to use Mega Abomasnow but if you use Aurorus or Regula Abomasnow I am not gonna hold you!

This round will last (or SHOULD last) until Sunday 17th 11:59 PM GMT -5. Have fun!

:sm/abomasnow-mega: :sm/heatran: :sm/landorus-therian: :sm/manaphy: :sm/hydreigon: :sm/clefable:
team : https://pokepast.es/6f2f5aad532b3b4e

So this week, i'm gonna build around Mega Abomasnow aka the most viable mega in ORAS OU. Here is the team building process: I considered 2 sets for Abomasnow, set 1 is sword dance, ice shard, wood hammer, and earthquake. The second set is blizzard, giga drain, focus blast, and filler. I ended up using the second set most because it doesn't get walled by Skarmory and is strong against balance teams. I'm using enough speed evs to outspeed a standard Clefable. The first teammate is Heatran who is a very good partner for Mega Abomasnow because of the fire type immunity and being able to help against Volcarona that lacks hidden power ground while helping Mega Abomasnow beat balance teams with a taunt set. The second teammate is Landorus because I want a rock setter that can beat Excadrill and provide an earthquake immunity. The third teammate is Manaphy because I want my team to focus on special attackers since the state of oras right now has too many physical attackers and I wanted to take advantage of that. The fourth teammate is scarf Hydreigon because the team still doesn't have speed control and it can be quite a nice wincon since the entire team is around special attackers. The fifth teammate is clefable because I feel the team is quite weak to Mega Alakazam and Clefable while also providing healing wish.
Replay :
1) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1941447983-unp4ypdurjigjrtvbp50im9m8j6buybpw
2) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1941440917-kstditnxifq4zaj1jjypot15orv1w71pw
3) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6ou-1941058657-397rfcvkq8nyolxnkdkv5gwmbmqnp58pw (showcasing abomasnow set)
Tech :
1) head smash on hydreigon for volcarona
2) hp grass on heatran for quagsire, gastrodon and seismitoad
Threat :
1) Metagross

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
:abomasnow-mega: :Kyurem: :keldeo: :Clefable: :Heatran: :Tornadus-therian:

I’ll do a full writeup tomorrow. The base idea of the team is to spam strong Blizzards from Kyurem, while Keldeo cleans and smashes Fire- and Steel-types. Heatran provides a secondary Fire and Steel neutrality, while breaking stall with its set. Life Orb Clefable does some good damage, while still having good defensive attributes and reliable recovery. Torn-T gives this team some much needed momentum and longevity. Mega Abomasnow sets hail - the set OHKOs Heatran and spreads Toxic dmage.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/4668832331329e96
Built the team around abomasnow and trying to make hail last as long as possible.
The second team mate is mega slowbro since it can take on many fire, steels and fighting that are problem to ice types
Raikou so I can have something that can abuse hail with 100bp ice move
Kyurem for a secondary hail abuser with unmissable blizzards and just a cleanear overall
Excadrill for spin and rock support
Talonflame to beat volcarona and 1v1 most tran thanks to taunt+sd

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/2e7339cc5bb98a09
Built the team around abomasnow and trying to make hail last as long as possible.
The second team mate is mega slowbro since it can take on many fire, steels and fighting that are problem to ice types
Raikou so I can have something that can abuse hail with 100bp ice move
Kyurem for a secondary hail abuser with unmissable blizzards and just a cleanear overall
Excadrill for spin and rock support
Talonflame to beat volcarona and 1v1 most tran thanks to taunt+sd
Raikou need to be shiny and rash nature to use weather ball because it's an event move

Attachments

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
:sv/abomasnow-mega::sv/slowbro::sv/crobat::sv/heatran::sv/ferrothorn::sv/gengar:
this is using abomasnow as a slow breaker, with support such as rkiller heatran, defensive walls such as slowbro and ferrothorn, a faster sweeper (gengar), and hazard removal in the form of crobat. using this team requires abomasnow and gengar to sweep the team, so not playing offensive immediately with defensive pokemon will help the team usage

team: https://pokepast.es/777a2e2b717237f9

Using this team based around Scarf Aurorus. Jellicent covers off 2 of ORAS's biggest threats (and 2 big threats to this team) in Metagross-Mega and Keldeo. AV Tyranitar is used to have a fighting chance against Mega-Charizard-Y, to live a Focus Blast with the Sand up a-la Gen 7. Thundurus is around to get some Speed control, passing around Paralysis. Excadrill is there to get rocks up and to be a bulky annoyance to most mons. Bulky SD Scizor with Superpower is there to blitz Ferrothorn, who sits on this team otherwise. And lastly, Scarf Aurorus was one of my favorite sets from NU, so I brought it cuz why the hell not

MrAldo

Hey
Hooray, I remember to update this a little more promptly! We are still working on it. Lets vote shall we:

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3

Team 4

Team 5

Voting round will last until Friday 22nd at 11:59 PM GMT -5. May the best one win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)