Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

This is a pretty cool water spam core that I've been using. The idea is that you can use one to wear down the counter of the other and the sweep. Basically, it works to overwhelm the opposition by stacking threats and using their combined might they can topple over something that would normally hard counter 1, but not both at a time. Alternatively Sharpedo and/or Samurott can be made specially attacking for a variation of the core. I would say this core is pretty comparable to Feraligtr and Mega-Sharpedo in UU. (Just copied my post from the np thread regarding cool strategies regarding drops)

Core 2:

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Trick/Ice Punch
- Baton Pass
- Zen Headbutt

Basically the same core as Doom+Medicham except Absol is a far more powerful pursuit trapper compared to Houndoom. Absol traps bulky psychic types that trouble Medicham and Medicham can give Absol a free switch by baton passing out of the threatening psychic type. The 4th move is variable on Absol with Superpower being my personal favorite. Iron tail can be used for fairies which all stop Medicham and there are a lot of other coverage moves which Absol can choose from. Blackglasses can be run if the LO recoil is annoying.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
+

NastyPass Togetic + Sharpedo

This is a really cool core that I've been using as of lately after being inspired by a guy on PS, and it's actually pretty effective. Togetic is actually a really cool partner for Sharpedo as it takes on the Fighting types that threaten it, and can also Pass Nasty Plots to Sharpedo, and nothing's scarier than a +2 Sharpedo. ( Literally it's GG unless you have a Poliwrath sitting in the back) NastyPass Togetic also gets a lot of oppurtunities to set up and Pass due to it's insane bulk and the switches it causes. It also is slow, so it can get Sharpedo in safely. It also has a decent offensive presence with +2, as +2 Dazzling Gleams hits most neutal targets decently hard, or if you go for Fire Blast, you can lure in Steel types, set up as they switch in, and roast them. Surf is also possible on Sharpedo because it's pretty strong with +2, although the extra power of Hydro Pump is usually more worth it. Good partners to go with this team are a check to Electric types, as it's the only type that hits both members of the core super effectively, so things like Flygon and Rhyperior are good partners. Other recipients of NastyPass are good partners as well, as Togetic wants as much use as possible, so things like Flygon and Houndoom are also nice partners. Overall, this is a really fun core that is also pretty effective, and I hope you like it!

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam / Fire Blast

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam

Someone can delete this post if they want to since i'm not posting a core, but i've actually used that core a lot on the ladder (with a zebstrika before mane was dropped xD) and its extremely effective at getting cheap wins as long as you can handle priority. I actually really love to use yawn on togetic because it means you can pass against roar lix and it disrupts momentum quite randomly making passing much easier, but roar lix is much less common now and you might not want a togetic with 0 damanging atks xD

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Got a couple of neat cores I've liked recently

+

Choice Band Scrafty + Fletchinder

This is a pretty fun offensive core that can give a lot of teams trouble. With Aerodactyl and LO Accelgor rising in popularity, I feel Choice Band is Scrafty's best set. It has very powerful STAB moves and Iron Head to hit Fairy-types if needed. That being said, Scrafty only really needs to take out Diancie as other Fairy-types are generally easy setup bait for Fletchinder. Scrafty falters against offensive teams where its low Speed can be easily exploited, but Fletchinder excels against these teams. Because Rock- and Steel-types are commonly used to check Fletchinder, it can be quite easy to lure them out, hit them on the switch with Will-O-Wisp, and then go to Scrafty to take whatever attack they're wanting to use for the most part. While Fletchinder falters against more defensive teams, Scrafty can aid it in weakening those bulky threats it just has a hard time with.
Scrafty (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Drain Punch

Fletchinder (F)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 248 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

+

Choice Band Scrafty + Tank Venusaur

Going off of the same team I use Fletchinder + Scrafty actually. This is a really good pivot duo for balance teams due to the offensive presence they possess and key threats they can switch into. Choice Band Scrafty can switch into most resisted hits, especially from the physical side, and threaten with powerful STABs in High Jump Kick and Knock Off. It's able to switch into key threats, like Tyrantrum, non-Aerial Ace Aerodactyl, and predicted Dark Pulses or Ice Beams from Sharpedo. Meanwhile, Venusaur can switch into just about every bulky Water in the tier as well as Virizion. Just be sure to scout for ZHB before staying in. From there, it can keep itself healthy with Giga Drain or Synthesis or use Sludge Bomb to threaten Poison to bulky Pokemon it can't immediately deal with. You'll obviously want an answer to Fletchinder to accompany this core, such as Diancie, since it beats both members pretty easily.
Scrafty (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Drain Punch

Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

+

Mega Camerupt + Sharpedo

So, this is a relatively standard breaker+cleaner core I've been using on the ladder to pretty solid effect. Mega Camerupt not only sets up rocks for Sharpedo but can also waste the bulky grass types like Tangrowth and Amoongus that love to take on Sharpedo. Many of the pokemon Mega Camerupt can't beat, like jellicent and AV slowking, are KOed by Sharpedo. Good teammates for this core include spikers like Garbodor, Qwilfish, and Accelgor as well as Momentum grabbers like AV eelectross. This core does have its weaknesses in stuff like LO Mach Punch + HJK hitmonlee, but still manages to be used solidly in the metagame.

Maxie (Camerupt) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Archie (Sharpedo) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt

SD Virizion + Utility Rotom

Hi, i'm really surprised that his core has not been posted because this core is very used atm.

This core is really effective, Virizion and Rotom complement each other on the offensive and defensive plan : Rotom can switch on Fletchinder and Scarf Durant(it can burn this one) which are threatening for Virizion, it also puts great pressure on bulky grass like Amoonguss, Tangrowth, Vileplume or even Roselia, and he can easily spinblock Blastoise to keep pressure easily thanks to the rocks on Fletchinder, in return Virizion serves as a pretty good darks type checks

Teammate that can check big special attackers like Specs Meloetta, LO Flygon, Mega Camerupt would be good

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 4 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Support Uxie + CB Aggron + AV Hariyama

Decided to try my hand at the suspect test and have had some success with this nice core. Basic premise is to twave shit with uxie then kill things with aggron and yama. If you ingore the fact that sharpedo is broken and can destroy this when yama is low hp, it is an ok core. Aggron takes most neutral physical hits, bird hits, kills fairies and can deal with psychic types to an extent, whilst yama is a nice special tank, breaks down steel types, dark types, and ice and fire types, particularly stuff like houndoom and mega abomasnow. Uxie is there of course to spread twave and to take fighting and ground moves. It deals with most fighting mons quite well and getting up rocks is helpful for racking up chip damage to secure KOs with BP yama. This core is one that deals with a lot of stuff in general, not just specific mons.

It struggles against a bunch of things admittedly, usually strong water types, but hard hitting psychic types like meloetta and sigilyph are especially bad as aggron will go down to their hits with enough persistence and uxie cant really do anything to them. Also, if it can ohko both aggron and yama, odds are uxie cant do anything to it, so compensate accordingly

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 216 Atk / 184 Def / 104 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Seeing as I'm going to be too busy to ladder for reqs, I thought I'd instead propose a couple cores that I've been finding particularly effective:

Specially Defensive Drapion + Utility Jellicent
Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit/Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Posion Jab

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Hex

This core is similar in function to the Drapion/Rotom core posted a bit earlier, but this acts as an alternative for teams that need a Spinblocker with more reliable recovery at the cost of a nifty ground resist. The premise is simple: Drapion sets up toxic spikes and Jellicent uses this to abuse hex and spinblock. Additionally, Drapion is excellent for pursuit trapping Hoopa and Meloetta sets that see Jellicent as something to exploit due to pursuit coverage. For teams with grounded poisons, Drapion is often a pretty decent switch in and can hassle with knock off. Pursuit in my eyes is preferable to taunt on Drapion right now due to it's ability to shutdown hoopa and possibly meloetta, although in certain situations taunt could be a strong option too. The core definitely has some downsides - Abomasnow, Sharpedo, and Houndoom come to mind as particularly noticeable ones. I see Diancie as a good partner, as is Meloetta if you have a stable way to deal with special dark types. Despite being somewhat weak to the two suspects in the tier, I do think this core is applicable with proper support given that many balance teams are opting to rely on Blastoise as a means of removing hazards. It also might get better after the suspect if some of the threats are banned, although it's impossible to predict so I wouldn't rely on it.

Bulk Up Gurdurr + Nasty Plot Houndoom (or Pursuit Trapper Houndoom, either works)
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch/Hidden Power Grass

I admit to being less familiar with this core than with the aforementioned two, but I've used it a bit and seen it in use enough to know it's efficacy.

Gurdurr oftentimes thrives against balance teams in that it forces the opponent to make concessions given that it benefits from status in terms of attack power, has Knock Off, and can set up to become a rather strong attacker.Against teams that rely on status to take out fighting type threats (not uncommon given the coverage of Knock Off and Fighting stab being so effective at weakening a wide margin of Pokemon), Gurdurr thrives most. So it's not uncommon for such a team to have to make a concession, such as letting a member of the core be either whittled if they have no recovery, causing a Pokemon with recovery lose an item due to Knock Off, switching in a neutral Pokemon such as Seismitoad or Diancie that can win/significantly weaken 1 on 1 but don't appreciate the damage from a Bulk Up boosted Drain Punch, etc.

Some Pokemon like Amoonguss and Venasaur are decent switch ins, but a double to Houndoom at the right time often leaves teams scrambling to get out their best Houndoom switch-ins and possibly taking significant damage. Houndoom also thrives against psychics that bother Gurdurr and can run the pursuit trapper set to potentially get rid of them.This core does require that some form of overall structure is provided by the team, as these Pokemon lack strong defensive synergy and greatly detest chip damage (not to mention they aren't exactly the bulkiest Pokemon). Similarly, a strong plan for removing hazards is a must, as both Pokemon lack leftovers or healing support and all damage is permanent (well, Gurdurr has Drain Punch, but it's difficult to rely on).

That's all for now. Sorry for the extremely long post, I can break this up into smaller sections if it's necessary. Perhaps these cores are intrinsically flawed or no more effective than any other pair of Pokemon, they certainly aren't as iron tight as others mentioned above. That being said, I am convinced that they at least work towards a common goal which is helpful during the building process.

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores

Tank Mega-Steelix w/Rest + Specially Defensive Diancie

This core combines two of the premier walls in RU in a way such that they are compatible with each other. Mega Steelix often has the downside of being slowly whittled over the course of a game - indeed, one of the premier offensive strategies in RU is the 'whittle the steel then break through with Tyrantrum/Durant/Mega-Glalie etc.'. Being able to squeeze the most out of the Steelix by being able to forgo Stealth Rock for Rest is a very cool option, as it allows Steelix to have a more general utility throughout the game (punishing switch-ins, maintaining momentum, etc.). Here Diancie can Heal bell the sleeping Mega-Steelix, set up rocks, or attack with it's reasonably strong STABs. An alternative is to keep rocks on the Mega-Steelix and give Diancie more room to breath, which in some ways hinders the efficacy of the Steelix but makes it easier to Heal Bell with the Diancie. Both are valid options, and I slightly prefer the former but it's a matter of opinion.

In terms of defensive synergy, Mega Steelix takes a lot of the non-fighting physical steel type Pokemon and Diancie can take special fire types (and, in very sharp pinch, can sacrifice itself to take fighting types due to amazing bulk around the board, although probably not on the switch in...). The defensive synergy is by no means perfect, but it's not exactly the function of the core. This core works towards a general goal of providing support for one another in terms of each accomplishing their goal in supporting the team rather than being 'unbreakable'.

This core has seen iterations with Aromatisse or Togetic over the Diancie, but the ability to not be screwed over by Houndoom and to have the a great switch in to Fletchinder is a reasonable trade-off. A notable alternative is to run Curse Rest Sleep Talk Heavy Slam Mega-Steelix, which for the first time in months seems to be a dangerous and valid alternative to regular Mega-Steelix. Still, the listed set seems to have more general utility. Worth noting is that this team struggles with Abomasnow and Sharpedo (An unfortunate trend in the cores I construct), so make sure that supporting Pokemon can path up this weakness.
I can't say I'm a fan of this core. For a tier where role compression is so vital, I think there's too much overlap. Sharing weaknesses to ground and water types is tough, especially since bulky water types are super common switch ins against both. Other fairies work as better Mega Lix partners to take on fighting types. Bronzong is a better Diancie partner since it lacks those weaknesses, though it can't do much against water types other than Toxic them. If I were to run this core, I'd go for the Calm Mind Diancie set. This way there's less overlap between their roles. The Rest strategy is kind of neat, but I'd rather do that with fairies that can recover health.

I can't say I'm a fan of this core. For a tier where role compression is so vital, I think there's too much overlap. Sharing weaknesses to ground and water types is tough, especially since bulky water types are super common switch ins against both. Other fairies work as better Mega Lix partners to take on fighting types. Bronzong is a better Diancie partner since it lacks those weaknesses, though it can't do much against water types other than Toxic them. If I were to run this core, I'd go for the Calm Mind Diancie set. This way there's less overlap between their roles. The Rest strategy is kind of neat, but I'd rather do that with fairies that can recover health.
I understand your argument that Mega-Steelix and Diancie occupy similar niches insofar as the 'bulky thing you switch in and seat up stealth rock/ counter the specific threat', as well as that they both have similar checks and counters in bulky waters and ground types. Ultimately, the defensive synergy is not excellent, which is something I agree with completely. However, whilst these weaknesses are exploitable I do think that they still comprise an effective core in that, depending on which you designate the 'stealth rock' user, the function of one enhances the capability of the other. Added with the fact that while they share the same counters they do not counter the same thing, having both in unison may not provide the team with defensive structure ala a classical core like, say, amoonguss/alomomola in which they complement each other's weak types but they still enhance each others function towards the goal of embettering the mega-steelix's utility to resist a certain team archetype bent on breaking it. Your argument about the focus of role compression I concede towards, however. Perhaps in a metagame with a myriad of threats, the ability to enhance mega-steelix's function as well as having the same degree of functionality for Diancie can't be accessibly built without building a specific kind of team (ie: it could work, but if it requires 4 out of 6 of the same members for every team to work it's not much of a core to build around, is it?).

As such, I have deleted the core from the prior post - I don't want new players to see the core and get the wrong idea of what makes a good core :). That being said, I wanted to defend my logic, because your argument for why it is a weak core and my points for why it is a decent core can coexist (if you can decode the logic in my writing, I'm terrible at writing things clearly). That being said, for a public resource it probably isn't of much utility, hence the deletion. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post, and I will synthesize your points going forward such that I will be able to post things of greater utility in the future :).

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

This is a sticky web core that stacks two wallbreakers that pressure a lot of the tiers more offensive mons and destroys the defensive mons. Mega Glalie helps to alleviate some of Sawk switch ins like Golbat, Togetic, Amoonguss and Venusaur and Sawk can apply a lot of pressure to steal types. This core does struggle with Choice Scarf Delphox but other than that I this most notably my favorite (and the best that I have found) core for Sticky Web as it is really easy to just slap on to Sticky Web teams. Another note Glalie can run Earthquake over Explosion but being able to get out and carry momentum is really nice for Sticky Web.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Explosion

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Zen Headbutt

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

Last edited:

CB Granbull + (Nasty Plot) Houndoom

Choice Band Granbull and Nasty Plot Houndoom have a good amount of wallbreaking power on their own, but they also work together fairly well. Houdoom can just burn down the switch-ins for Granbull (Bronzong, Steelix, Amoonguss, Venusaur etc.). Once that is done Granbull can proceed to punch holes in your opponents team, while also removing Houndoom switch-ins like Poliwrath, Hariyama and Flygon.
This core likes some form of speed control as both of them have a mid to low speed tier. Also Cleaner like Sneasel or Jolteon enjoy having these two on their side, as they can finish of the game once Granbull and Houndoom did their work.

Granbull @ Choice Band
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot / HP Grass
- Sucker Punch

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Vivillon + Flygon

Vivillon is a really underrated sweeper in the current metagame, as it's combination of Compound Eyes Sleep Powder + Hurricane and a boosting move in Quiver Dance make Vivillon a deadly sweeper, but it is held back by a few things, such as it's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock and weakness to types like Fire and Rock. Flygon is a natural partner for Vivillon, as it resists Fire and Rock, and provides Defog support for Vivillon, and can also wallbreak the opposing team to make Vivillon's sweep much easier to accomplish. A Pokemon that resists Ice, such as Bronzong, is appreciated as both members of the core are weak to Ice-type moves. A bulky Pokemon to add a backbone to the core, like Gurdurr and Aromatisse, are also appreciated as the core can't take way too many hits, especially Vivillon. Overall, this is a really core, and I hope you like it!

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Defog

I'll just carry over my old post from the old thread since the core still is basically the same and functions the same. The EVs may be a little outdated the post was originally from late of last year, if so just tell me what to update them accordingly.

Balanced Core:

Everyone is familiar with the common Abomasnow + Mega Steelix core. One of the main flaws that this core had was the ability to get Stealth Rock and keep them there with a threat of Abomasnow on Flygon preventing the Defog but it was unable to keep hazards off its own side of the field. With the drop of Blastoise earlier handled this issue pretty easily while also being a nice check to a lot of the fire types in the tier such as Emboar Typhlosion (LOL) and Delphox. Blastoise can guarantee a Rapid Spin due to Foresight and is now one of the premier hazard removal Pokemon in the tier. (HIDE YO DEFOG FLYGONS)

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 132 Atk / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh / Foresight / Roar / Dragon Tail / Protect

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
This thread needs a major bump :/

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Typical core you'll see on Fat Balance. Venusaur is a powerful wallbreaker and likes Mega Steelix to take on Flecthinder, provide Stealth Rock, and deal with Registeel and other Posion-types. All of which trouble Venusaur. In return Venusaur breaks Water-types. Mola acts as glue to this core tackling Fire-types which both members hate and giving off bulky Wishes which both members appreciate a lot.

edit:

Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw

Mawile and Tyrantrum are great partners together. The main reason this works is because Mawile lures in Fire-types which is can then Baton Pass out into Tyrantrum. Tyrantrum also likes not having to stress about Sucker Punch or Knock Off thanks to Mawile eating it up. Mawile can also supply a free Swords Dance to Tyrantrum making it a lot more likely to nuke stuff late game.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
This thread needs WAY more love

Gourgeist-XL + Diancie Defensive Core

Gourgeist-XL (or Super) is a mon that's been getting a bit of attention lately due to being one of the best counters to SD Virizion in the tier, as well as checking many other physical threats with it's great physical bulk and support movepool with choices like Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed. However, Gourgeist-XL is vulnerable to common types like Flying, Fire, and Dark, all types that Diancie resists, making it a great partner for Gourgeist. Not only does Diancie resist most of Gourgeist's weaknesses, it provides Stealth Rock to support the team, and functions as a cleric with Heal Bell, which is useful since Gourgeist-XL hates Toxic or burns. Gourgeist in return checks Fighting, Water, and Ground-types for Diancie, making them almost perfect partners defensively, as they can help wear down teams efficently via hazards, status, and Leech Seed from Gourgeist. Good partners to this core include Mega Steelix checks like Weezing, as while Gourgeist already checks it and can burn it and wear it down, it hates taking Toxics and Diancie can't Heal Bell in front of MegaLix. WishPassers such as Alomomola help give the core more longetivity in a match as well. Overall a very cool defensive core that should get more recognition.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb / Foul Play / Rock Slide

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Dual Spikes Garbodor + Rocks Bronzong + Rapid Spin Toise

eh, sorry for all the slashes but this is what is now considered the base per-say for spikes balance in the current meta and i found myself returning to this core again and again in several variations on several teams (my taunt roost aero balance, 2 versions of my malamar balance, etc). the interactions of zong + garb + toise are quite cool, specifically in terms of maintaining and keeping hazards off the field while retaining good defensive synergy. usually with this core, you would add a psychic check (usually tomb), a wincon (virizion, taunt roost aero, malamar), and some speed control (scarf boar). generally, you will almost never run foresight on toise on this core because you usually won't have the space for heal bell yet it may happen, so i slashed it just for clarity's sake.
stain of mind (Garbodor) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 240 HP / 220 Def / 48 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes / Haze
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Gunk Shot

scrum (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Psywave / Earthquake

overt enemy (Blastoise) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD OR 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Bold Nature / Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Refresh / Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

FatOnTheInside (Uxie) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Stealth Rock

YoursTruly (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Focus Blast

Alright, so this core is basically centered around Uxie being a solid hazard setter, and, more importantly, momentum generator for Exploud to come and destroy things. Uxie also acts as a fightingi-type check for Exploud, which is useful because many teams that use Exploud are a little weak to fighting types, and almost all of them are able to easily revenge kill Exploud. Basically, Uxie can set up hazards for Exploud and then proceed to U-turn out on anything faster than it and let Exploud in to rip apart the opposing team. While I chose thunder wave to disrupt faster teams and provide a way for Exploud to beat faster mons, Yawn can be used as a way to get nearly guarunteed momentum for Exploud. It's a really cool core I've been using alongside Sweepers like Omastar and Virizion.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Something beautiful

+

Manectric @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Flygon @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Really scary core for bulky teams to face with the characteristic of being a pretty strong volt turn core. Life Orb Manectric is a really scary mon to face thanks to its great coverage and being quite hard to stomach constant volt switches from it but it has problem getting past other ground types and spdef mons like diancie and the somewhat obscure audino. Banded flygon comes to the rescue in order to basically destroy or weaken ground types like rhyperior or seismitoad to the point they cant even check manectric and destroy mons like diancie. Manectric also helps flygon beat mons like phys def alomomola that aim to check it.

Specially Defensive Registeel + Rocky Helmet Druddigon (Defensive)

Registeel + Druddigon is a really capable defensive core, Registeel can win one-on-one with the majority of Special Attackers while Druddigon heavily punishes certain physical attackers. Registeel can soak up Fairy an Ice hits for Druddigon and Druddigon can soak up Fire and punish Fighting hits in return. Not to mention that Druddigon can free up some slots like T-Wave for Registeel and Registeel can set rocks, freeing a spot for Druddigon.

Scald Alomomola + Specially Defensive Diancie (Defensive)

Alomomola + Diancie is a very solid defensive core (surprised nobody posted this yet tbh) and while it's not the most obvious, both members pair well together. Alomomola can take physical hits as well as Steel and Ground moves and Regenerator off damage. Alomomola can also attempt to Scald burn threats such as Escavalier and Rhyperior that threaten Diancie. Diancie can absorb special hits and Electric attacks for Alomomola in return and offers Heal Bell support to heal Toxic from Alomomola. Stuff like Venusaur and Magneton threaten this core massively but it is still very solid.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
-----------------------------------------
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic / Knock Off

Diancie @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm

Last edited:
I HAVE A FUCKING CORE BITCHES

082.gif
+
123.gif
+
330.gif

I 6-0'd Kableye with this core if that means anything (s/o Brick Break banded Scyther)

So I like VoltTurn. It's gotten a lot better with MLix leaving, as the premier switch-in to stuff like VoltTurn has been kicked out of the tier, and it's now free to wreak havoc once more. I like this core because of its customizability, its versatility, and its defensive and offensive synergy. So let me explain this core.

These mons carry very noticable defensive synergy, as where Magneton and Scyther fail against Steel-types, Flygon picks up the slack and KO's them quickly with STAB ground-type attacks. Flygon also severely weakens ground-types, such as Seismitoad and Rhyperior. Magneton beats fairy-types, and Scyther eats fighting-types alive. This is pretty much the offensive synergy and the defensive synergy. Really capable in both.

Now, the sets are really cool. If your team is lacking in speed, slap a scarf on scyther or Magneton (don;t really reccommend putting it on Flygon, though). Do you need a sturdier defogger? Run bulky flygon. This core can run a multitude of sets to great effect.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Modest/Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Grass

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Grass

There may even be a few more I'm missing here.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off/Brick Break
- Quick Attack/Pursuit

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off/Brick Break
- Pursuit

Flygon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Fire Blast

This is pretty much it. You could run Bandgon and then run other HC like lee, which works fine, and if you want to do that, you could potentially use a banded or bulky set here. Hell, scarf might work, too. Just make sure you don't buckle to crap like Regi and Don(g)zong.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold / Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic / Knock Off

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Protect / Thunder Wave

This is the famous Alomomola + Registeel core that has been seeing a boom in popularity on stall and balance teams alike since the ban of Mega Steelix, and even before MegaLix was banned this core was seeing some usage. So, Alomomola and Registeel synergize very well with each other, as Alomomola checks many of the things that Registeel can't beat, such as Fire- and Ground-types like Emboar. Alomomola can also pass it's huge Wishes to Registeel, which helps patch up Registeel's problem with it's lack of reliable recovery. In return, Registeel not only helps spread status with Toxic and set up Stealth Rock for Alomomola, it also helps beat many special attackers that can trouble Alomomola, such as Venusaur, Exploud, and Choice Specs Meloetta. (This does require some prediction with Exploud and Melo however as Fire Blast or Focus Blast can 2HKO Registeel; Protecting with Mola to scout out their moves can help with this.) Registeel can even use Thunder Wave over Protect to cripple faster attackers like Choice Scarf Emboar that could switch into it, or it could use Protect to help Toxic stall with Mola, which can free up Mola's fourth moveslot for Knock Off, which helps against this core's matchup against numerous threats like SubCM Meloetta and Hoopa. With Alomomola's Regenerator ability allowing it to stay alive and pass Wishes to Registeel effectively, this core can be a major pain to take out, but it does have some threats that can hurt it. In particular, Fighting-type wallbreakers such as Choice Band Sawk and Life Orb Medicham can cause major problems to this core as CB Close Combat from Sawk 2HKOs Alomomola easily, and Thunder Punch variants of LO Cham can avoid Protect shenanigans from Mola as they can mess with High Jump Kick and Adamant LO Cham can 2HKO Mola with Thunder Punch even without Rocks, and both of them beat Registeel pretty easily, of course. Trick variants of Choice Specs or Choice Scarf Rotom-Mow are also rather troublesome as they can cripple Registeel, otherwise a decent switch-in to them, with Trick, and can then wear it down with Volt Switch, while also switching into Alomomola rather nicely. Therefore, Pokemon that can deal with these threats, like Aromatisse and Granbull to deal with the Fighting-types or Grass-types like Venusaur to deal with Rotom-Mow can partner up well with this core. Clerics like Aromatisse and other Fairy-types also help with Alomomola's vulnerability to Toxic and Toxic Spikes and Registeel potentially getting crippled by Scald burns. Overall, this is a very good defensive core that can take on a number of threats in the current metagame with proper team support to take out the threats to this core.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)