[ORAS] Whimsicott [QC 2/2] [GP 0/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Whimsicott's Prankster, along with the combination of Leech Seed, Substitute, and Protect, allows it to outstall most non-Grass or Magic Bounce offensive Pokemon as long as it can survive one attack, regardless of if they naturally outspeed it. This can be useful against Pokemon like Kyurem-Black and Manaphy. Whimsicott can also take on Fire- and Steel-types like Mega Charizard X and Mega Mawile when running Occa Berry or Babiri Berry, as this allows it to take a super effective attack that would usually OHKO it and affect them with Leech Seed. Whimsicott's Grass-Fairy typing is good defensively due to the amount of typings it resists and its immunity to Dragon-types, making it a premier pick against Pokemon like Dragonite and Latios. Its Grass-Fairy typing also makes it 4x weak to Poison-type moves, though, meaning Pokemon like Sawk, Garchomp and Landorus can easily OHKO it by running Poison Jab or Sludge Wave as a coverage move. Whimsicott suffers against sound move users like Porygon-Z and Meloetta, because both Uproar and Hyper Voice go through Substitute. Whimsicott also cannot do anything to opposing Grass-types like Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, as they are immune to Leech Seed and can easily take care of it with their STAB attacks.

[SET]
name: Babiri
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Protect
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Taunt
item: Babiri Berry
ability: Prankster
nature: Bold
evs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Leech Seed allows Whimsicott to get HP back after using Substitute and can effectively stall out the opposing Pokemon's HP. Substitute makes Whimsicott able to avoid Toxic from Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos and Porygon2 and stall out HP after using Leech Seed. Protect is useful after using Substitute to make Whimsicott able to keep itself healthy while stalling the opposing Pokemon. Taunt is useful against Pokemon with recovery moves like Registeel and Kee Berry Mew, and other Taunt users, such as Mega Gyarados and Deoxys-S.

Set Details
========

24 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature allow Whimsicott to take a large amount of non-Super Effective hits from strong Pokemon in the metagame, such as Giga Impact from Adamant Mega Lopunny, Fire Punch from Choice Band Dragonite. It also allows Whimsicott to tank a Play Rough from Mega Mawile. Running a lower amount of HP and a higher amount of Defense and Special Defense EVs allows Whimsicott to heal more HP from Leech Seed. 232 EVs in Special Defense allow Whimsicott to tank an uninvested Ice Beam from Kyurem-Black and Air Slash from Choice Scarf Togekiss. Babiri Berry allows Whimsicott to tank hits it otherwise wouldn't, like Iron Head from Mega Mawile and Flash Cannon from Magnezone.

Usage Tips
========

Send Whimsicott out against Steel-types like Mawile, Magnezone, and Empoleon, as Whimsicott can use Leech Seed first, tank a hit with its Berry, and stall out the foe with Substitute and Protect. Be wary of Pokemon like Mega Aggron and Mega Mawile, as they can sometimes run Taunt and beat you that way. While you do tank a Meteor Mash from Mega Metagross thanks to its Babiri Berry, Metagross can still use Bullet Punch to outspeed your Prankster and kill you after Leech Seed. Against Choice item and stall users like Jirachi, Togekiss and Kee Berry Mew it is best to use Protect first to scout if they have Trick. If they do have Trick, use Substitute or Taunt to prevent this; otherwise, use Leech Seed and proceed to stall as usual. For Kee Berry Mew, it is best to Taunt after using Protect and then use Leech Seed and the combination of Protect + Substitute to stall it out of HP. Whimsicott has trouble with moves that go through Substitute such as Hyper Voice from Mega Gardevoir, Uproar from Porygon-Z, and Bug Buzz from Volcarona and Genesect, so do not send it out against these Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Strong Fire types like Victini, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcarona can help with Grass-types like Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Serperior. In return, Whimsicott can take on bulky offensive threats, like Mega Gyarados, Kyurem-Black, and Dragonite for them. Water- and Dragon-types such as Azumarill, Manaphy, Haxorus and Garchomp make good partners for Whimsicott to take on troubling Fire-types like Mega Charizard, Victini, and Heatran. In return, Whimsicott can take on offensive and defensive threats like Mega Ampharos, Magnezone and Mega Gyarados for them. Pokemon like Meloetta, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria and Porygon-Z give Whimsicott trouble because of Hyper Voice and Uproar going though Substitute, so Pokemon that can take care of these like Mega Aggron, Mega Metagross, and Mega Mawile are good to pair with it. In return, Whimsicott can potentially take Ground-type Pokemon like Donphan and Garchomp that typically bother them.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Occa Berry can be used as an item in combination with 240 HP / 100 Def / 168 SpD and a Calm Nature to beat Pokemon like Heatran, Mega Charizard X, Volcanion and Mega Camerupt, which would otherwise KO it. Kebia Berry and Yache Berry allow Whimsicott to tank coverage Poison-type moves such as Gunk Shot from Donphan and Poison Jab from Sawk, and Ice-type moves like Ice Beam from Choice Specs Kyurem-Black and Choice Specs Latios Whimsicott can run a combination of Sitrus Berry and Cotton Guard, giving up Taunt for a very good match-up against physical attackers it wouldn't normally beat, such as Mega Metagross and Choice Scarf Garchomp

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon like Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie cannot be hit by Leech Seed due to their ability and can simply kill it back by attacking.

**Grass types**: Pokemon like Mega Venusaur or Ferrothorn are immune to Leech Seed and can KO Whimsicott with their STAB attacks.

**Strong super effective attacks**: Pokemon like Mega Charizard X, Choice Specs Kyurem-Black and Mega Gengar can hit and OHKO a Whimsicott that isn't holding the appropriate berry. Additionally, Choice Band Victini can OHKO Whimsicott even when its holding an Occa Berry.

**Poison type coverage**: Garchomp, Sawk, Landorus and Volcanion can OHKO Whimsicott with either Poison Jab or Sludge Wave. These Pokemon still need to be wary of potential Kebia Berry sets.

**Sound moves**: Hyper Voice from Mega Altaria and Mega Gardevoir or Bug Buzz from Volcarona and Genesect can bypass Whimsicott's Substitute thus rendering it vulnerable.

**Priority**: Pokemon like Mega Metagross and Mega Lucario can use Bullet Punch after taking rid of Whimsicott's Babiri Berry to OHKO it, given that they are faster than it.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[stableprince569, 455774]]
- Quality checked by: [[LittleRunnerXC, 289008], [DEG, 234355]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
[OVERVIEW]
Your words
My thoughts on your words
Calcs

• Whimsicott's Prankster, along with the combination of Leech Seed, Substitute, and Protect, allows it to outstall most non-Grass or Magic Bounce offensive Pokemon as long as it can survive one attack, regardless of if they naturally outspeed it.
  • This can be useful against Pokemon like Kyurem-Black and Manaphy. Whimsicott can also take on Fire- and Steel-types like Mega Charizard X and Mega Mawile when running Occa Berry or Babiri Berry, as this allows it to take a super effective attack that would usually OHKO it and affect them with Leech Seed.
  • Whimsicott's Grass-Fairy typing makes it 4x weak to Poison-type moves, meaning Pokemon like Sawk and Garchomp can easily OHKO it by running Poison Jab as a coverage move. I think you should add more poison type coverage, as its not just poison jab. Sludge Wave on Landorus and Sludge Bomb on Volcanion almost exclusively for Whimsicott is nuts
  • Whimsicott suffers against sound move users like Porygon-Z I think Genesect is more notable here, Meloetta already covers the HyperVoice/Uproar vibe and Meloetta, because both Uproar and Hyper Voice go through Substitute.
  • Whimsicott also cannot do anything to opposing Grass-types like Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, as they are immune to Leech Seed and can easily take care of it with their STAB attacks.

[SET]
name: Babiri
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Protect
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Taunt
item: Babiri Berry
ability: Prankster
nature: Bold
evs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Leech Seed allows Whimsicott to get HP back after using Substitute and can effectively stall out the opposing Pokemon's HP.
  • Substitute makes Whimsicott able to avoid Toxic from Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos and Porygon2 and stall out HP after using Leech Seed.
  • Protect is useful after using Substitute to make Whimsicott able to keep itself healthy while stalling the opposing Pokemon.
  • Taunt is useful against Pokemon with recovery moves like Registeel and Kee Berry Mew, and other Taunt users, such as Mega Gyarados and Deoxys-S.

Set Details
========

• 24 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature allow Whimsicott to take a large amount of non-Super Effective hits from strong Pokemon in the metagame, such as Giga Impact from Adamant Mega Lopunny I mean yeah you totally live this without the investment, heres a WAY more notable calc with that EV Spread, do you know what specifically the defense was for? 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 24 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 222-262 (83.1 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and Fire Punch from Choice Band Dragonite. Banded Dragonite clicks Extremespeed and wins anyway, not notable.
  • Running a lower amount of HP and a higher amount of Defense and Special Defense EVs allows Whimsicott to heal more HP from Leech Seed.
  • 232 EVs in Special Defense allow Whimsicott to tank an uninvested Ice Beam from Kyurem-Black and Air Slash from Choice Scarf Togekiss.
  • Babiri Berry allows Whimsicott to tank hits it otherwise wouldn't, like Iron Head from Mega Mawile and Flash Cannon from Magnezone. I think you shuld meention this first, and mention things like Flash Cannon from heatran, Heavy Slam from Aggron-Mega, etc.

Usage Tips
========

• Send Whimsicott out against Steel-types like non-Taunt Mega Mawile, Magnezone, and Empoleon, as Whimsicott can use Leech Seed first, tank a hit with its Berry, and stall out the foe with Substitute and Protect.
  • While you do tank a Meteor Mash from Mega Metagross thanks to its Babiri Berry, Metagross can still use Bullet Punch to outspeed your Prankster and kill you after Leech Seed.
  • Against Choice item and stall users like Jirachi, Togekiss and Kee Berry Mew it is best to use Protect first to scout if they have Trick.
  • If they do have Trick, use Substitute or Taunt to prevent this; otherwise, use Leech Seed and proceed to stall as usual.
  • For Kee Berry Mew, it is best to Taunt turn one and then use Leech Seed and the combination of Protect + Substitute to stall it out of HP.
  • Against Landorus-T and Archeops Actually, Archeops can click Head Smash and win in theory, you are taken down to 1% HP stalling out the 8 head smashes with sub protect, but then die to struggle before you can leech seed. Also, I think this just isn't a useful sentence anyway, so just take this part out. As you can still leech t1, and then sub on the second turn fly..., it is best to use Substitute first to take advantage of Fly's two-turn usage before using Leech Seed to stall them.
  • Whimsicott has trouble with moves that go through Substitute such as Hyper Voice from Mega Gardevoir, Uproar from Porygon-Z, and Bug Buzz from Volcarona, so do not send it out against these Pokemon.
  • Even with Babiri Berry, Whimsicott should avoid facing Steel-types such as Choice Specs Genesect because it fails to survive a Flash Cannon from it. Not notable when Bug Buzz exists, Maybe mention this with Metagross for Steel Types that can still win, such as Aegislash with shadowsneak(I think?), and Scizor-Mega with Bullet Punch.

Team Options
========

• Strong wallbreakers with like Meloetta, Victini, Mega Charizard Y, and Porygon-Z can help with Grass-types like Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Serperior Honestly maybe just mention Fire Types? Seeing that you only mentioned grass types. In return, Whimsicott can take on bulky offensive threats, like Mega Gyarados, Kyurem-Black, and Magnezone for them.
  • Water- and Dragon-types such as Azumarill, Manaphy, Haxorus and Garchomp make good partners for Whimsicott to take on troubling Fire-types like Mega Charizard, Mega Blaziken, and Heatran. In return, Whimsicott can take on offensive and defensive threats like Mega Ampharos and Mega Gyarados for them.
  • Pokemon like Meloetta, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria give Whimsicott trouble because of Hyper Voice and Uproar going though Substitute, so Pokemon that can take care of these like Mega Aggron, Mega Metagross, and Mega Mawile are good to pair with it. In return, Whimsicott can potentially take Steel-type Pokemon like Magnezone, and Mega Mawile that typically bother them. How is mega mawile annoying to the steel types you just mentioned. Also overall I think Water+Dragon is kind of awkward, and that you need another "archetype" partner, like sound move pokemon is a very good addition, not just type matchups. I think mentioning a Pokemon that can take on common Priority users, such as Bullet punch metagross, espeed dnite, quick attack pinsir, brave bird talonflame, etc would be nice. Feels like you wrote this really quick

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Occa Berry can be used as an item to beat Pokemon like Mega Charizard X, Volcanion and Mega Camerupt, which would otherwise KO it. Add a spread, this is a very very notable set, and is one of the reasons Whimsicott is so good, whether its Babiri or Occa Berry
  • Kebia Berry I think mentioning Kebia Berry by itself is worthwhile, its a very good set. Because many teams just slap on Poison coverage to beat Whimsicott, and make sure to mention however that a big flaw is the poison chance from moves like Poison Jab make it less reliableand Yache Berry allow Whimsicott to tank coverage Poison-type moves such as Gunk Shot from Donphan and Poison Jab from Sawk, and Ice-type moves like Ice Beam from Choice Specs Kyurem-Black and Choice Specs Latios
  • Whimsicott can run a combination of Sitrus Berry and Cotton Guard, giving up Taunt for a very good match-up against physical attackers it wouldn't normally beat, such as Mega Metagross and Choice Scarf Garchomp Again I wanna see a spread my dude, show me you did research on what it can beat and why it needs certain EV's.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon like Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie cannot be hit by Leech Seed due to their ability and can simply kill it back by attacking.

**Grass types**: Pokemon like Mega Venusaur or Ferrothorn are immune to Leech Seed and can KO Whimsicott with their STAB attacks.

**Strong super effective attacks**: Pokemon like Victini and Genesect Again move to the sound section, think of something else. can OHKO Whimsicott through its Berry due to their extremely strong STABs

**Poison type coverage**: Garchomp, Sawk and Landorus can OHKO Whimsicott with either Poison Jab or Sludge Wave

**Sound moves**: Hyper Voice from Mega Altaria and Mega Gardevoir or Bug Buzz from Volcarona can bypass Whimsicott's Substitute thus rendering it vulnerable.

Lets add priority moves in here, I'll let you write it of course

Impliment these, feel free to disagree or discuss, and Ill look over it again!

Reactions: pqs
Alright, looking at it I can see a lot of stuff I think is wrong, so I'll try to discuss
I think you should add more poison type coverage, as its not just poison jab. Sludge Wave on Landorus and Sludge Bomb Wave on Volcanion almost exclusively for Whimsicott is nuts
both are C+ and I mention them later in checks and counters, but ig I could add them there
I mean yeah you totally live this without the investment
252+ Atk Lopunny-Mega Giga Impact vs. 24 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 223-264 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
ok I guess I'm lying then zzzz. although I can still add the mMawile example so ty for that
Banded Dragonite clicks Extremespeed and wins anyway, not notable.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen61v1-1135133313 man.
Flash Cannon from heatran, Heavy Slam from Aggron-Mega
Heatran can just Overheat and mAggron runs Taunt. Both are 50/50s and I generally tried to avoid using 50/50 match-ups as examples.
Maybe mention this with Metagross for Steel Types that can still win, such as Aegislash with shadowsneak(I think?), and Scizor-Mega with Bullet Punch.
Prankster adds +1 priority to your moves, and so do Bullet Punch/Shadow Sneak, for aegi/scizor to outspeed you they either need to be faster (they aren't) or have +2 priority (they don't). mMetagross is faster than uninvested Whimsicott usually, which is the reason mMeta wins the MU.
Add a spread, this is a very very notable set, and is one of the reasons Whimsicott is so good, whether its Babiri or Occa Berry
it's literally the same spread, should I mention it?
Lets add priority moves in here, I'll let you write it of course
the only priority users that outspeed whimsi are Talonflame (which straight OHKOs with brave bird), mPinsir (click return 4head) which belong in the super effective section, and mmetagross (I don't feel like making a whole section for one mon).

Everything else I didn't mention I think I can adjust, even though I don't 100% agree with everything. Let me know

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Alright, looking at it I can see a lot of stuff I think is wrong, so I'll try to discuss

both are C+ and I mention them later in checks and counters, but ig I could add them there

Yes mention them

252+ Atk Lopunny-Mega Giga Impact vs. 24 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 223-264 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
ok I guess I'm lying then zzzz. although I can still add the mMawile example so ty for that

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen61v1-1135133313 man.

This was me assuming on my part, forgive me

Heatran can just Overheat and mAggron runs Taunt. Both are 50/50s and I generally tried to avoid using 50/50 match-ups as examples.

Well I figure you should add it because it at least gives you the chance TO win, which is notable in itself

Prankster adds +1 priority to your moves, and so do Bullet Punch/Shadow Sneak, for aegi/scizor to outspeed you they either need to be faster (they aren't) or have +2 priority (they don't). mMetagross is faster than uninvested Whimsicott usually, which is the reason mMeta wins the MU.

LOL IM DUMB

it's literally the same spread, should I mention it?

Hmmm, see if you can find a better spread, I get that its just spdef for kyurem+dump into defense, but see if you can find something better!

the only priority users that outspeed whimsi are Talonflame (which straight OHKOs with brave bird), mPinsir (click return 4head) which belong in the super effective section, and mmetagross (I don't feel like making a whole section for one mon).

This is fair

Everything else I didn't mention I think I can adjust, even though I don't 100% agree with everything. Let me know

Hello!

Overview:
+Guess you can mention positive stuff about the Fairy/Grass typing + Resist berry. It resists popular types in the metagame notably fighting / water and can pick another resist with a berry. Guess you can put it as point #2 when you transition to resist berries talk.
+Mention that it doesn't have amazing defenses probably before mentioning the grass/fairy negatively.

Usage tips:
-Don't mention non taunt maw-mega cause u don't even know if its taunt on team preview, can prob be worded as "you have to be wary for Taunt on mawile"
-First you said against Mew use protect then u said taunt turn 1 against Mew kekw

Team Options:
+Mention Dnite over Magnezone cause Magnezone isn't a problem to the fire-types u mentioned bar zard y ig

+Dragonite>Haxorus even Latios/Latias are better than Haxorus here.
-Ah yes. Mega Blaziken the BANNED ORAS threat. Mention Victini instead.
+Here you can mention Magnezone since it troubles water-type Pokemon.

+Mention PZ as sound user.
+Steel-types are good mentions but it just goes downhill from there. Zone and Maw have iffy matchups against Aggron and Metagross.

Checks and Counters:
+Mention in the end of Poison coverage that they have to be wary of Kebia berry.

hmu on discord when done i'll go over it once again and give qc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)