Oricorio VGC Team

Hello! Just for some info before I get to the team, I've been pretty casually playing VGC since gen 8, but with the new generation I wanna start getting serious. I'm still pretty bad though, so I've been searching everywhere trying to find some helpful information or guides, and have been reading a lot from VGCguide. Any advice for general improvement would also be helpful if you have any!

Beginning with Oricorio, I started here for a few reasons. Oricorio is one of my favorite pokemon for one, but I found something interesting with the way revelation dance is coded. With tera, the type of revelation dance actually changed, so tera blast is entirely unnecessary. With lilligant and torkoal being pretty good right now, and lilligant having access to quiver dance I thought this might be able to work. After running some calculations (which I don't entirely remember), a +1 magnet revelation dance actually hits quite hard, enough to 2HKO fluttermane and I can also tank a shadow ball from a booster energy modest fluttermane. As well as that, the +1 special defense allows me to tank a freeze dry from iron bundle, and can hit it back for the OHKO. I had to decide between helping hand, tailwind, and taunt, but I decided on tailwind for the extra speed control. Tera Fairy allows me to win against roaring moon and get the surprise factor on chien pao. It also opens up a lot more offensive options, such as hitting things like iron hands extremely hard.

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Magnet
Ability: Dancer
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Revelation Dance
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Tailwind

Lillligant is next, this is going to be a pretty short description along with torkoal as I feel what they do is pretty self explanatory. After you pairs with torkoal to hit insanely powerful eruptions, with leaf storm to give it some offensive power. Quiver dance helps to boost oricorio, and I just love protect on everything. Additionally, I think lilligant synergizes quite well with the rest of my team (except maybe scream tail)

Lilligant (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
- After You

The standard torkoal set. Synergizes quite well with everyone (except oricorio). Torkoal hitting powerful eruptions is a priority on this team, with scream tail's trick room support, lilligant's after you, and indeedee's follow me. Nothing much to say about this thing, it's just a standard torkoal.

Torkoal @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Earth Power

I added scream tail next for trick room support, as well as to boost my resistance against physical attackers which oricorio and lilligant are quite weak to (although lilligant's survivability isn't a priority). Psychic Fangs allows it to break through screens, however this moveset makes this thing extremely passive and doesn't put any pressure on the enemy team, which I'm kind of worried about. Trick room is my other form of speed control to assist torkoal, as well as to create mindgames with other trick room teams. Helping hand was my final slot instead of protect since this thing is extremely bulky, and can support oricorio, torkoal, and literally everyone with the helping hand boost. The EVs are relatively simple actually, I just wanted the protosynthesis to boost it's special defense while having high enough bulk everywhere else. The Figy berry just gives me some extra sustain, as barely anything threatens to OHKO this thing.

Scream Tail @ Figy Berry
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 244 HP / 244 Def / 20 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Psychic Fangs
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Next is Indeedee, who I thought paired nicely with everyone else. Follow me support is insane for protecting torkoal and oricorio, and allows scream tail to get a trick room off. It's psychic terrain can deal with priority which can threaten torkoal's max power eruption, and helping hand allows it to boost anyone on the team. I considered running psyshock instead of psychic, but then I had nothing to really hit iron hands besides oricorio, so I stuck with psychic. The psychic seed gives me some more special bulk since I have a sash on lilligant, and the EV spread is fairly simple and allows it to survive quite a few physical attackers with a bold nature.

Indeedee-F (F) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Protect
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me

Finally I added Iron Hands for it's insane power and bulk, as well as working nicely with scream tail's trick room. Fake out can be shutdown by my own indeedee, but I couldn't think of a better move and I'm running AV so I didn't wanna add protect. Other than that it's the standard Iron Hands set, except I gave it an assault vest to help with it's devastatingly low special defense. Overall I think it finishes my team quite nicely, and I couldn't find a stronger 6th pokemon that would work better.

Iron Hands @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wild Charge
- Drain Punch

I'd like to not completely rework the entire team if possible, but I'm able to make some replacements or adjustments if needed. This team was incredibly fun to create and I'd love to hear the thoughts of players better than me. Thanks!

Iron hands has a great movepool, for instance the elemental punches, and play rough. I'm not sure I'd run Fake out and Two Fighting STABs.

Do you have fairy tera Oricorio on cart? I have lots of shards so can maybe help.

Update: paradox mons are banned, so i'm going to have to bring this team back to the workshop for a bit. If anyone has any suggestions to replace scream tail and iron hands, please let me know!

And here is the new team! I haven't run many calcs or test runs with this, but in theory this should perform similarly to the team I had before

Oricorio (NO CHANGES)

Lilligant (NO CHANGES)

Torkoal (NO CHANGES)

Farigiraf @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Armor Tail
EVs: 244 HP / 244 SpA / 20 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Hyper Voice
- Dazzling Gleam

Replacing scream tail, and kicking indeedee out of the team is Farigiraf, which I'll be honest I didn't even know armor tail existed until I was looking at what could replace scream tail. After noticing that, Indeedee was removed and I began work on farigiraf. Starting with safety goggles, which are here as I don't have any real counterplay to spore, so I'm running that over mental herb as I still have rage powder support from volcarona. I'm running a more offensive build to take advantage of farigiraf's good special attack, with trick room and helping hand to mimic what I had from scream tail. Not running reflect makes this team a bit less defensive, but I'm willing to try it out. The EV spread has 20 special defense to avoid an OHKO from hydreigon, who I'm expecting to make a big return after Fluttermane is gone.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Protect
- Rage Powder

I was originally running an Oricorio Volcarona core, but It didn't perform very well on it's own, so I switched to oricorio lilligant torkoal. But with the paradox mons gone, and Indeedee replaced by farigiraf, I felt like i needed redirection. Enter volcarona. Quiver dance and fiery dance pair nicely with oricorio, the low speed investment is mended by oricorio's tailwind, rage powder covers farigiraf and torkoal. The evs have 244 in hp to leave me on an odd number, with the rest in special attack and the extras added to my defenses and speed. Leftovers is more of a "I have no idea what item to run" item, so It could definetely use some improvements.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Protect

The most obvious replacement, Iron hands was replaced by his slightly less cool counterpart, Hariyama. Tera Steel bullet punch can hit fairies like sylveon (who I also expect to be great now) extremely hard with a guts boost and maximum investment. The burn also makes me immune to spore, which gives me more defensive power against amoongus, as hariyama is walled by it pretty badly. I'm running brick break over close combat to fight against screens from things like grimmsnarl, with a pretty standard EV set.

Overall, I actually think this team has a lot of depth. It gives me a lot of options, like Farigiraf who can pair with pretty much anyone, I have lilligant torkoal duo, a trick room mode, and superboosting oricorio for many variations of strategy, let me know what you think!

Modest Volcnw/ SpD EVs capitalizes on base stat better than calm and max SpA. Though with one attack only maybe yy can go full SpD? Or thereabouts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)