[OU] 5th Generation Team

Another generation has passed us by and now its a new ball game! I want to start off with a bang with a new team. This team I plan to use with Pokemon Online but at the same time wish to create for Wifi as well. So please help this team be the best!

First Look of Team:

INFERNAPE | FERROTHORN | VAPOREON | EXCADRILL | TYRANITAR | HAXORUS

Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive (+Spd -SpDef)
Trait: Blaze
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat

When starting this team, I wanted to included my favorite Pokemon from 4th generation. Poor Infernape will be outclassed but Blaziken once Speedboost is out. So first off I wanted entry hazard so why not a use Infernape as a "Lead". This set almost always guarantee I will get Stealth Rock and at the same time do some damage with Fake Out. If I'm lucky and Infernape manages to hang on with Focus Sash, I have a chance to O.K. most Pokemon with Blazed Fire Blast. If I'm LOL lucky and don't get hit at all, Infernape can do some damage with Close Combat or switch out do be used later.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef
Sassy (+SpDef -Spe)
Trait: Iron Barbs
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

I wanted more entry hazards so for my next Pokemon shall be Ferrothorn! I have fallen in love with this thing. This thing can take a lot of hits and wall a few Pokemon. Support my team by slowing down some threats with Thunder Wave or force switches with Leech See. Ferrothorn is the perfect Pokemon to setup layers of Spikes.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
Bold (+Def -Atk)
Trait: Water Absorb
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Roar

Now that I have my entry hazards, I wanted another Pokemon with a lot of bulk to annoy my opponent and at the same time also support my team. So why not Vaporeon, she can heal my team with the new wish and her huge HP from opposing entry hazards and other damages. Scald is a great new attack introduced in the 5th generation that does nice damage that also has a chance to burn and help her wall some more. Another use for Vaporeon is to come in and Roar away my opponents Pokemon before they power themselves any further.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk)
Trait: Sand Rush
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sword Dance
- Rapid Spin

The star of the team and another one of my favorites from 5th generation. He tries comes in when everything is set up for him. I try to send him in if I predict an incoming Earthquake. With Air Balloon, I am to Sword Dance and proceed to sweep my opponents poor team. He also supports my team by blowing away my opponents entry hazards.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpAtk / 76 SpDef
Sassy (+SpDef -Spe)
Trait: Sand Stream
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Well if you haveExcadrill on your team, you must be dumb to not include good ol' Tyranitar! Obviously his main role is to start a sand storm. I wanted my team to have a lot of bulk, so his Tyranitar is a MixTar. Crunch is for a reliable physical STAB to hit Ghosts and Psychics. Ice Beam is for dealing against ground or dragon types while Superpower hits opposing Tyranitar or other switch-ins. With Fire Blast hits Steels who can easily take MixTar's other moves.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe -SpAtk)
Trait: Mold Breaker
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Outrage

Finally, the final Pokemon for my team must be a revenge killer and I think Haxorus makes a awesome one! With a monstrous base 147 attack stat being further boosted by Choice Band, he can tear through a lot of Pokemon. Mold Breaker allows Haxorus to use Earthquake on all opposing Pokemon, while Dragon Claw is there for when I don't think Outrage is needed due to its risks.

Closing Thought:
First look at this team there is a glaring fighting weakness. I have managed a few wins but with fighting move running a mock in 5th generation. This team needs some improvements. I will hate to replace some of my Pokemon but if I must I will. So please help my team!

I might say lose vaporeon and add Reuniclus. You gain a fighting resistance and Reuniclus can be manipulated in many different ways.

Defensive Calm Mind
Reuniclus w/ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold
EVs: 252 HP; 252 Def; 4 SpAtk
Calm Mind
Recover
Psychic
Thunder

Id go with this one personally

I second the reuniclus change and I would get rid of rapid spin, because x-scissors is more useful I think because none of your team really needs spin support.

There isn't too much I can say about this team considering that I am still learning about all the changes in 5th gen and am still making a team of my own, but one thing that you might want to consider doing is changing your lead. I assume you will want to get Tyranitar out early to start up a sandstorm and as soon as the sandstorm begins, your 1HP Infernape is a dead man walking. Perhaps you could try something that would benefit from the sandstorm if it came in later like maybe a Swampert.

Threats
  1. Sand Sweepers; SD Excadrill, Terrakion & Landorus
  2. Calm Mind / Swords Dance Virizion
  3. Calm Mind Reuniclus
  4. Bulk Up Conkeldurr
  5. Lack of resistance to Fighting- type attacks

Hey Vash1306, nice team, a couple of issues that need patching up however.

First off, it seems that Sand sweepers will be quite troublesome to face for your team, especially since you're the one providing the Sandstorm. Excadrill can come in on Haxorus's Earthquake or Dragon Claw, set-up a Swords Dance, and prepare to sweep your team with +2 Earthquake and Rock Slide, OHKOing all of them. You may think that you might be able to revenge kill with your own Excadrill, but since most Excadrill run a Jolly nature, you will be outsped and get your balloon popped first so the opposing mole can KO with Earthquake. Terrakion is equally threatening as Excadrill, Balloon variants setting up Swords Dance on Haxorus's and Excadrill's Earthquake, or gaining a Justified boost on Tyranitar's Crunch. After this, Terrakion will proceed to OHKO every member with +2 Stone Edge and Close Combat. Excadrill is the only member that outspeeds him, but with Terrakion holding a Balloon, Excadrill will only be able to pop it while falling to Close Combat. Landorus can switch in on Haxorus's Earthquake or Brick Break, or Excadrill's Earthquake, set-up Swords Dance and proceed to wreck havoc with +2 Sand Force boosted Earthquake / Stone Edge. Again, the only Pokemon being able to outspeed it is Excadrill, who won't do enough damage with Rock Slide while falling to the combination of boosted Stone Edge + Earthquake (unless its Balloon has already been popped).

Next is Virizion. Whether it's a Calm Mind variant or a Swords Dance variant, Virizion will be able to come in on Vaporeon and Excadrill, both of which have their attacks resisted, and are forced out due to the threat of Giga Drain / Leaf Blade and Focus Blast / Close Combat. Virizion can use this opportunity to set-up a Calm Mind or Swords Dance, and be able to dismantle your team with +2 Giga Drain / Focus Blast or +2 Leaf Blade / Close Combat. It also outspeeds the majority of your team, bar Excadrill, who can't do much to it.

Calm Mind Reuniclus can find opportunities to acquire Calm Mind boosts on Nattorei, who can't do much to Reuniclus other than doing pitiful damage with Power Whip or paralyzing with Thunder Wave, Reuniclus doesn't care about speed anyway. It can also set-up on Haxorus's Brick Break. After a Calm Mind it can take any attack you throw at it, and KO back with boosted Psychic or Focus Blast. The main physical attackers on your team do good amounts of damage to it but not enough. For example Tyranitar manages to do about 40% with Crunch, while getting KOed by Focus Blast.

Finally, there's Bulk Up Conkeldurr who can come in on Tyranitar and use it as a chance to set-up Bulk Up boosts to wreck your team. Your best move against Conkeldurr will be Fire Blast, which will do 36% at most, and you won't be staying in on Conkeldurr anyway, due to the threat of Drain Punch and Mach Punch. After a Bulk Up boost it can threaten your entire team with boosted Drain Punch alone, which none of your Pokemon resist. In fact, it seems you have no resistant to Fighting- type attacks, which can be very troublesome in a metagame infested with Fighting- types. Things like Swords Dance Blaziken will be able to launch Hi Jump Kick without worry, and Choice Band Terrakion will enjoy abusing unresisted Close Combat.

Solutions:

• Solution A: Physically Defensive Quagsire over Vaporeon
Vaporeon has its uses, however it's not doing much for your team outside of passing wishes, and the amount of threats it can take on reliably in this metagame is limited. Quagsire on the other hand covers pretty much all of your weaknesses, such as taking on all of the aforementioned sand sweepers. Excadrill's Swords Dance boost is cancelled when its against Quagsire, so it won't be KOing you any time soon, while you can destroy it with Scald, or Earthquake if it is not carrying a Balloon. Same thing with Terrakion and Landorus, both sweepers' Swords Dance boosts are cancelled thanks to Quagsire's Unaware ability, and both get hurt by a Super Effective Scald. Since Terrakion's Special Defense gets boosted in the Sandstorm, Scald might not always KO, but after Defense drops (Since Terrakion can at most use Close Combat on Quagsire) it will be doing plenty and pop Terrakion's Balloon, allowing you to KO with Earthquake. Quagsire functions similarly to Vaporeon, only thing being having better Physical bulk and being able to handle a myriad of Physical threats. Quagsire also makes good use of the hazards set-up by Nattorei with Yawn, and cause the opponent to take residual damage with Yawn pHazing, so its easier for Haxorus and Excadrill to clean up easier. Quagsire also pairs well with Nattorei as a support core for the team, due to both of them covering each other's major weaknesses. Nattorei takes on Quagsire's sole Grass- weakness, while Quagsire can take on Fire- type attacks without worry.
  • Solution B: Alternative Tyranitar set
Tyranitar is an important member to the team, and I don't want you to replace him. Instead just alter his set a little bit to take on Calm Mind Reuniclus better. Give Tyranitar 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SAtk with a Brave Nature and Stealth Rock over Ice Beam or Fire Blast with a Chople Berry. This will enable Tyranitar to function as a great starter for your matches, and be a great check to Calm Mind Reuniclus. Since the word "lead" has lost its definition in this metagame, I don't think Infernape has much use. In fact, if Infernape starts off at a disadvantage and goes down you'll be 6-5 already. Besides, the opponent will already prepare for Infernape once he sees it on Team Preview. Tyranitar can start of the match with its formidable bulk and the ability to function as a great weather changer and trapper (if you're willing to use Pursuit) mid game. Tyranitar can take on Reuniclus by outspeeding it the first turn and landing at least 50% with Crunch, and surviving the Focus Blast (if it hits..) thanks to the Chople Berry. After this, Tyranitar can land the 2HKO with a final blow with Crunch. Everything else is pretty much the same as how your current Tyranitar is functioning
  • Solution C: Choice Specs Latios over Infernape
Since Infernape will be replaced with Tyranitar as the prime starter for your matches, Infernape's role becomes redundant and makes it dead weight on the team. Replacing Infernape with Latios gives you a formidable powerhouse capable of abusing the hazards to their fullest, as well as a great Virizion and Conkeldurr check, in addition to a Fighting- type resist. Calm Mind Virizion and Swords Dance Virizion are outsped and KOed by Psycho Shock. Whereas Bulk Up Conkedlurr is revenged by Draco Meteor which will always OHKO (doing 103% minimum). The Fighting- type resist is particularly important, as you have 3 members weak to Fighting- type moves and no resistances. Still, be careful of Fighting- type attacks, since 1 resistance opposed to 3 weaks might not be enough, but it does alleviate the issue. Latios and Doryuuzu pair pretty well together, the former destroying enemy Gliscor and Skarmory, while the latter scaring off Tyranitar.

Optional Changes:

Definitely change Excadrill's nature to Jolly, and give X-Scissor a go over Rapid Spin, revenging Lati@s is important for you, since you can't trap them with Tyranitar only carrying Crunch.

Movesets:

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic / Yawn
---

Tyranitar (F) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sandstream
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SAtk
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Superpower / Pursuit
---

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psycho Shock
- Hidden Power Fire
---

So to summarize:
  • Quagsire > Vaporeon
  • Alternative Tyranitar set
  • Choice Specs Latios > Infernape

GL

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I reccomend Adamant Choice scarf Haxorus as your revenge killer. 97 base speed is extremely unfortunate, and while you will be hitting hard with CB you will get outsped by every other dragon and killed. However, a jolly Choice Scarf doesn't outspeed anything notable, so adamant is for extra power. I speak of this from testing out myself, trying to make use of 147 base attack, and the extra speed benefits you much more, especially as a revenge killer. Also on that note, swap Dragon Claw for Double Chop. Double chop lets you hit though sub should you ever need to. Since you will only be using that move out of risk and never trying to KO anything with it, double chop with it's extra merits over claw should be used. But this is only based on my experience, so be sure to test which you like better.

Summary: scarf, not band Haxorus. Try double chop instead of dragon claw

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)