SM OU OU balance

Introduction

I haven’t really gotten into OU since late gen 4, and mostly play mixed tiers. But lately, I just wanted to build an OU squad, and I wanted to nase it on 3 of my favorite Pokemon - Serperior, Charizard, and Keldeo. Since 3 of my favorites happen to be OU and form a solid Grass/Water/Fire core out the gate, I thought I’d set out on my adventure.

Teambuilding Process

**Why did you choose this pokemon?**

undefined

The Team

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
I’ll start with Charizard, even though he was actually the 3rd I put on the team. See, I wanted to originally build a Zard Y team, but he didn’t seem to have any synergy with the other 2. Too many special attackers, and they don’t really care about the sun at all. So, I went for a pretty standard DDance Zard X instead. Hits hard to wallbreak early, can sweep later on. I went for EQ instead of Dragon Claw because I like being able to hit certain threats hard if needed (Tyranitar, Heatran, etc.). We all know Charizard X is a solid team option - he does his job and does it well, though I find myself relying on him too much, as we’ll see later.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
My little Ponymon hits hard with great neutral coverage. I chose HP Fire for Scizor, Ferro and Bulu who like swapping in on me, Icy Wind is usually better for the speed drop than actually hurting Landorus or other X4 weak Pokemon, I have found. And then of course Hydro Pump is just damn strong and Secret Sword is another STAB option that helps break Chansey down. The Choice Specs is not really for anything specific that I know of, just to generally help me hit harder. I sometimes regret it, because the Scarf might be better, or something else entirely that allows me to swap moves. Works mostly well with Zard, who doesn’t really enjoy Rock, Ground or Water too much, They do share a dislike for Fairy Pokemon, which is unfortunate, and will be a worsening theme.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Defog
Rounding out my Grass/Water/Fire core, Serperior is the typical bulky grass set. I am mono attacking, though I have swapped in various HPs and Dragon Pulse as well. Overall, Serperior doesn’t really want to attack anything it can’t Leech Seed or Leaf Storm, anyway, so I thought the utility of Defog might be useful. It has at times, but overall, not sold.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
With the fire/grass/water core done, I was curious about adding a steel/dragon/fairy core too. Skarmory gave me a Steel type that doesn’t have a ground weakness so he can wall things Charizard can’t. Stealth Rocks are my only hazards on the team. Defog is not needed since Serperior has it, but Toxic/Whirlwind don’t really seem to have a place on this tea when I tried them out. Skarmory is another typical set, and I enjoy the chip damage that comes with rocky helmet over leftovers, given how great Roost is for recovering. I was also curious about Drill Peck over Brave Bird? I know the power drop is massive, but recoil sucks in general, and all the more for a tank. Thoughts?

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
Tapu Koko filled this slot originally. I liked the Fairy addition, and a speedy VoltTurn option with high power. Was also my Z Move user (just on Thunderbolt). He just wasn’t gelling with the team though. Nothing he was doing really seemed to be good enough, and and the Scarf Healing Wish always seemed like a set that was up my alley. With 2hard hitting STAB moves and 2 support moves in Trick and Healing Wish, Latias has been highly successful in both helping her team and hurting the enemies. Her natural bulk is sufficient enough to take plenty of hits and come back swinging until it is time to kill herself and heal up another Pokemon (seems to usually be Zard) for a late game sweep.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
Tyranitar is last. He too replaced something else (Hoopa U) that wasn’t helping the team much. The Rock and Dark attacks are very useful for my team, and the Lum/DDance has taken many teams by surprise so far. A nice working class physical attacker to compliment Charizard, solid EdgeQuake combo, and the Pursuit is always welcome. He does struggle with some common threats though, with that speed tier, and the bulk is set up to be only the natural bulk, so he is not truly fulfilling any role beyond just being, yet another, solid OU contributor.

Conclusion

In conclusion, my team is solid. I’m winning games. It doesn’t have great synergy overall, but is getting by because of the strong sets and me being a decent battler overall. But I know I could improve vastly. I am struggling specifically with Mega Alakazam, Gliscor, Tornadus, and mostly Mega Diancie, and generally to Fairy type moves (2 Dragons, a Dark and a Fighting type). When I manage poorly and Zard dies early, my team suffers from low physical damage, and I can be walled by Chansey or Celeseteela/Skarmory. My speed is only passable, as is my bulk and power. It’s not a true “balance” team, but I labeled it so because I don’t stand out anywhere (as building from favorite Pokemon instead of a strategy tends to do, it seems lol). Anyway, TTar, Latias and Skarmory are doing well, but I am not married to any of them, while Serperior, Keldeo and Zard X are also doing well and could use some fine tuning on sets and items to better handle some of my biggest counters. Thanks for reading, and I appreciate all feedback!

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey Kevbot034 those certainly are some pretty cool Pokemon you've decided to build around. There are some changes I'd make to this team, however. This is actually more of a bulky offence team.
Charizard should, in my opinion, be Jolly nature. This is because at neutral it is outsped by Kyurem-Black and Tapu Lele which threaten it very much.
With Serperior, I'd go with this set:
Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
I don't think Defog is necessary on Serperior, and Glare is too good not to pass up. The EVs ensure that Rotom cannot break its sub (according to Smogon). Substitute and Leech Seed allow it to weaken Heatran, which is always nice. Even though you are not Heatran weak, it is always nice having multiple ways for dealing with S Rank Pokemon.
With Keldeo, I think you can afford to use HP Poison over HP Fire. Scizor and Ferro don't appreciate Specs Keld's attacks, and Bulu gets bopped by a HP Poison with Choice Specs. Removing Tapu Bulu can be really good for Charizard as it allows your Earthquakes to hit harder once Terrain is permanently gone.
I would also change the Tyranitar set to this
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
This allows for a stronger pursuit, and I don't think that Lum DD Tyranitar is that great because in this gen it is not fast enough to run through teams at +1 and the initial power gained from the Choice Band along with the trapping ability is too good not to have.
I would also change Skarmory for Ferrothorn with this set:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
This means you have a Greninja switch in (Keldeo not being scarfed means it's not the best at this role). Stealth Rocks because we're replacing Skarmory, Leech Seed to get valuable chip and allow for greater longevity and Dual Stab to hit Greninja, Tornadus (on the switch) along with just hitting hard in general.
Finally, I'd change the scarfer to Landorus. Here is a set I would use:
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 52 HP / 132 Atk / 116 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog
I have gone with Stone Edge over HP Ice because Pinsir looks to be more threatening than Zygarde, but you an always change this if you feel otherwise.

I hope you like the changes. Here is the importable:
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Poison]

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Glare

Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me!

Hey Kevbot034 those certainly are some pretty cool Pokemon you've decided to build around. There are some changes I'd make to this team, however. This is actually more of a bulky offence team.
Charizard should, in my opinion, be Jolly nature. This is because at neutral it is outsped by Kyurem-Black and Tapu Lele which threaten it very much.
Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
I don't think Defog is necessary on Serperior, and Glare is too good not to pass up. The EVs ensure that Rotom cannot break its sub (according to Smogon). Substitute and Leech Seed allow it to weaken Heatran, which is always nice. Even though you are not Heatran weak, it is always nice having multiple ways for dealing with S Rank Pokemon.
With Keldeo, I think you can afford to use HP Poison over HP Fire. Scizor and Ferro don't appreciate Specs Keld's attacks, and Bulu gets bopped by a HP Poison with Choice Specs. Removing Tapu Bulu can be really good for Charizard as it allows your Earthquakes to hit harder once Terrain is permanently gone.
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
This allows for a stronger pursuit, and I don't think that Lum DD Tyranitar is that great because in this gen it is not fast enough to run through teams at +1 and the initial power gained from the Choice Band along with the trapping ability is too good not to have.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
This means you have a Greninja switch in (Keldeo not being scarfed means it's not the best at this role). Stealth Rocks because we're replacing Skarmory, Leech Seed to get valuable chip and allow for greater longevity and Dual Stab to hit Greninja, Tornadus (on the switch) along with just hitting hard in general.
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog
I have gone with Stone Edge over HP Ice because Pinsir looks to be more threatening than Zygarde, but you an always change this if you feel otherwise.

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Poison]

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Glare

Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog
Thanks, this looks great! I actually thought my Charizard was Jolly haha. And idk why I never thought of Glare for Serperior. I’ll try these changes out. Ferrothorn is such an obvious counter to Diancie, idk why I didn’t think of that.
Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Poison]

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Glare

Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog
Actually (sorry for double post) but would Supersonic Skystrike Lando be a good fit on this squad? I still lack a Z move, which isn’t a huge deal, but they are fun

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Thanks, this looks great! I actually thought my Charizard was Jolly haha. And idk why I never thought of Glare for Serperior. I’ll try these changes out. Ferrothorn is such an obvious counter to Diancie, idk why I didn’t think of that.

Actually (sorry for double post) but would Supersonic Skystrike Lando be a good fit on this squad? I still lack a Z move, which isn’t a huge deal, but they are fun
I went with scarf because otherwise the team is incredibly slow. The Z move is also not too necessary as you have some very heavy hitters on your team.

Last edited:
I went with scarf because otherwise the team is incredibly slow. The Z move is also not too necessary as you have some very heavy hitters on your team.
Speed is a bit of an issue. They are all performing really well, but Lele, Mega Alakazam and Gliscor are my biggest threats now. Neutralized some of the old threats with your help! And the Glare on Serperior is huge. Probably the best thing so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)