OU: Black-Swift

Okay, i picked the game back up and created a new team.
It's still a rough draft, but i like you guys to help me out and maybe fixing some flaws. The main idea is to Cripple virtually every lead in the game by outspeeding them, tricking the opponent and maintaining the advantage.

Team upon a glance.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Naive: 252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 Attack
Trick
Psychic
Explosion
Stealth Rock

My most practical lead i have used so far. Trick to shut down stall leads, and cripple suicide leads. Stealth Rock if you get the chance, or just STAB psychic away. Explosion to say farewell with a bang. I usually switch him out after i've Tricked and Stealth Rock'd to use him again in late game as a sweeper, or lay down Stealth Rocks again, since i don't got a spin blocker.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid: 252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 HP
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt

Standart LOmie, nothing much to say here. It has good synergy with both Breloom and Heatran. Natural Cure gives me the upperhand to switch in Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin all entry hazards away. Boltbeam is just perfect coverage and STAB Hydro Pump over Surf for the extra damage, i don't really care for accuracy on this move.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Naive: 252 Special Attack / 192 Speed / 64 Attack
Fire Blast
Nasty Plot
Grass Knot
Close Combat

Standart Plotape. Plot on the switch and sweep away with STAB Fire Blast or Close Combat. Grass Knot for Bulky Water opponents. It's my only set up sweeper, and he's doing a fine job at it. It's a very good wall breaker and can demolish Stall teams since Azelf usually crippled at least the lead, Infernape just gets the job done.

@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Spore
Facade
Seed Bomb
Superpower

No Substitute, so i could go all out to annoying opponents. Usually i switch in on a move which was ment for Heatran or Starmie and cripple them with Spore or revenge with another move. He's overall well known, so further explanation isn't needed.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Naive: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Attack
Explosion
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse

My revenge killer. I used Dragon Pulse over Hidden Power Grass since i didn't got the good IV's on my original game, but in shoddy i obviously use Hidden Power Grass for Bulky Water and Ground opponents that would otherwise just OHKO. Dragon Pulse does work fine, since i can revenge/OHKO dragons a lot easier which this team has it's issues with.

@ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant: 252 Attack / 248 HP / 8 Speed
U-Turn
Pursuit
Superpower
Bullet Punch

He's just a beast. Most used OU Poké and fits the team perfectly, as he does in most offensive builds. Only use him for late game sweeps, when i scouted the team and know there aren't any Magnezone waiting to revenge kill him.

Okay, give me your thoughts and suggestions about the team.

Thanks,

Jiaolong.

I would run Fire Blast over Psychic on Azelf. It's more useful on the majority of leads.

I would either run a defensive Starmie, or drop Rapid Spin. As a spinner, it is incredibly easy to wear down your Starmie because you don't have any Recovery, so every time you switch in you lose health to all three entry hazards, and not only that you take 10% damage from Rapid Spin, which is a terrible tradeoff. If you really want a Spinner, run the defensive spread with Leftovers/Recover. If you want it to kill particular things, then lose Rapid Spin. None of your team hate Toxic Spikes or Stealth Rock anyway.

I prefer MixApe to NPApe, replacing NP with HP [Ice], personally. The rest is fine, although you might want to change Scizor's EV spread to the specially bulky one, to take Surfs and weak HP Fires when switching into Celebi or Latias.

Team Suggestions

Hi this is Young Money. I kinda see what you are trying to do with this fast offensive teams, although this team can be improved drastically IMO.
*Sorry its late, my spelling sint perfect lol*
First I would like to say that your team has really good synergy to support it, you are obviously familiar with team synergy. But im afraid that alone wont give you a solid team in the OU environment. My First suggestion is to change whats goin on wish Azelf. Azelf is an extremely good lead for offensive teams but I think It would preform better with a diffrent set. The reason being, with a team so fast paced like yours Stealthrocks is really important and you will end up wanting to put those up first turn. The scarf will reduce your chances at getting rocks up due to the lack of focus sash. The set you are running now can put you at a "Set up rocks and die, or hit him hard and die ' situation alot of the time. Say for expample Azelf is put up againts a Fortress. You are lacking Fireblast so your only options are Trick and Rocks, each with there own consuquesnces.

I know you have probably seen this set alot but I HIGHLY recomend this over your current set.

Azelf
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Stealth Rock
~ Psychic
~ Explosion
~ Taunt / Fire Blast (I would use Fireblast, simply because there is nothing on your team I see that would hate rocks, limiting Taunts usefullness)
Naive/FocusSash

With this set you can move freely, Set up rocks and live to hit extreamly hard the next turn.

Next thing I noticed was that your entire team is mad weak to DDGyarados and DDmence. The most important aspect in building OU teams is making sure you have an awnser to threats such as Gyarados,Salamence,Heatran and Scizor. All whom can sweep team easy if the opponent isnt prepared for. So Lets see how well your team can take a +1 Gyarados and a +1 Salamence, shall we?

Starmie- The standard Gyarados set runs an offensive set with LO that can easily outspeed and KO with Bounce or Stone-E. Salamence is on the same hand and can KO with Outrage. (None of your team can really take a +1 outrage except for Heatran who will still take hefty damage)
Breloom-Gyarados and Salamence will outspeed and KO with Icefang and Fireblast respectively
Infernape- Doesnt have a chance
Heatran- Salamence will outspeed this Scarftran and KO with quake. You will also be forced to Explode on the Gyarados
Scizor- CB scizor can deal about 60% damage to Salamence which is why I say SR is so important, hopefully it has taken some prior damage and you will be able to revenge kill the mence (Expecially if it is locked into OUtrage). However, Gyarados will walk all over this set.

Yup you definatly have a big problem here. Lets try to fix that. ScarfHeatran and BandScizor are good partners but being locked into one move can be bad. Expecially seeing that that both attract the same beast which is Gyarados. Now, if you want to keep them both it is IMPORTANT that you have an awnser to Gyarados should it come in on one of the two resisted moves and DD. Looking at your team and I really suggest a Rotom-H. Most specifically the scarfed set.

Rotom-H
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Overheat
~ Shadow Ball
~ Trick
Timid/ChoiceScarf

Having this Rotom-H placed in your team, it will give you a really good counter to Gyarados. If it gets sent out againts a pokemon that will be forced to switch *Cough SCIZOR Cough*, simply send out this Rotom as the Gyarados DDs, then bolt for the KO or watch them flee. (Again, which is why SR is Important on these kind of teams.) Also, Dont not wait for the Gyarados to DD before sending out Rotom! This cannot be stressed enough! Because if it gets a second dance up on the switch its pretty much game. Timid is used over modest to outspeed +1 Jollygyarados as Jolly Orbed Gyara will KO this Rotom on average. (234 - 276HP) (97.10% - 114.52%). Overheat checks Scizor and Lucario, completely shutting down there sweep. Shadowball is here for coverage and to also hit pokemon like Swamper and Cresselia for some Damage. Rotom will also give you a way to Hit a DD Kingdra, which is really threatening to your team. Tricking a Scarf over onto a Blissey is going to give you that really Satisfying feeling...trust me

Ok, so now we have Rotom which covers your Gyarados weakness. Also giving you a check to Scizor and Lucario. ScarfHeatran is good but now it is not realy needed since Rotom revenge kills most of the same pokemon. (Wait, we did not completely throw away Heatran. just the Scarf!). Scizor and Rotom really work good together, Scizor can take on Latias and Revenge kill and Tyranitar taking advantage of Rotom being locked into one of his moves. And Rotom can KO those Gyarados that like to come out and dance out of enjoyment. But these two pokemon both share one dreaded counter...Heatran. Heatran can be a real pain but fortunately it is fairly easy to counter. We are not going to add in blissey because that would just wreck to momentum of the fast paced team. But since both Scizor can Rotom attracts Fireblast, a good water pokemon that can come in, Outspeed and threaten it. LO Starmie was on your originall team and I also see that it works good at countering Heatran. It wont mind Fireblast much and can outspeed easily while KOing Heatran with Surf/Hydropump. She will also shrug off any of his other attacks with recover provided it isnt HPelec/grass. Keep the LOStarmie on the team but the only change I would make is using Recover over Rapid spin for the reason stated above. Starmie will be taking alot of damage (SR,SS,LO), it will all add up. Since Starmie is important to countering Heatran you will want to keep your HP up while at the same time inflicting some major damage. Also, your team doesnt have any pokemon that would take major damage from Rocks.

Hmm, Breloom. I am really liking what you are doing with it. Facade/Superpower/Seedbomb offers insane coverage and Spore just adds in more fun. Keep this Breloom. It can take on Bulkywaters quite nicely and also makes a reliable Blissey Counter. (Rotom and Starmie will Hate Blissey). Now make sure when you are using this set, know that you will attract alot of Gyarados, Celebi and Zapdos. Gyarados is already checked off by Rotom so how should we deal with Celebi and Zapdos? Now is a good time to bring back that Heatran eh? Scarf Heatran obviously isnt needed anymore so the set I would highly recommend is the LO set. Heatran will KO Zapdos/Celebi/Jirachi easy. This will fill in most of the gaps that are left in your team(For Example Rotom-A would be a real problem for you) , and also maintain a fast game that you were currently using.

Heatran
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ Explosion
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
LifeOrb/Naive

I shouldnt have to explain this set but Fireblast and EarthPower for Coverage. The next slot os HP elec or Grass. Specifially for getting surprise kills on Gyarados or Swampert respectively. On this team I would personally use HP Grass because its less risky (you wont be able to surptise gyara if it has one DD up would you?) and you will always outspeed Swampert. Explosion is here as your last ditch move, it is a very fast pokemon so when you are at low health you might be able to execute an explosion on an unexpecting pokemon like Blissey. Heatran has no recovery here so if you dont like the idea of the LO damage you will be taking constently, you can use an Expertbelt alternately to using a Lifeorb. The power drop is from x1.3 to 1.1 I think but the main benefit is the ability to bluff a scarf. Wont if be Nice to watch a Lucario die to Fireblast thinking you were locked into HP? Or a Rotom-A die thinking you were locked into Earthpower? The LO vs EB choice is completly up to you. Both are really good options.

Ok so now we have Azelf/Rotom-H/Scizor/Heatran/Breloom/Starmie

You probably noticed that we lost Infernape in the revising process but I personally think this team can do without it. Try that team out and see if it works out for you. Also remember that there are no "Perfect" teams, to win you need a combination of a well built team and knowledge of that team. Meaning you cant just lose a battle and decide your team sucks. You need to get used to the team and learn how it works to be succsessfull. I hope you learned a bit more on building OU teams. GL with your battles.

*PS* This was my first time rating a Team on smogon, I havent been in any workshops (I have just joined a few days ago) so If I can get some feedback or some things that I can do better via PM , I would really appreciate that. Thanks and I am looking forward to rating other teams soon.

I already tested that specific Azelf lead you suggested, but this set works better for me late game. I could test Fire Blast over Psychic for a while though.
And yeah, i thought about adding Rotom-H, but ingame i can't get one atm :P i'll test this on shoddy, thanks. I can also use this guy really hard, since it's a good Spin Blocker which makes it easier for me to kill Mence/Gyara.
The Heatran you suggested states i should use Hidden Power - Grass, but i already posted i don't have the right HP ingame, i currently am using HPG on shoddy for a while now though.

I was also thinking about adding Scarfrachi as a revenge killer on many, many threats, and possibly replacing Breloom for it.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP
IceP / FireP / ThunderP / IronH

This set is a insane revenge killer with it's 492 Speed. After SR most of the opponents are within OHKO Range that Jirachi can almost everytime OHKO + the backup from Serene Grace. I think this set would contribute more to the team's consistancy then Breloom would do, since it's a more situational choice.

Azelf Starmie Rotom-H Jirachi Heatran Scizor

In any case, i would like to thank you all for helping me out here, i'll get testing right away =P

ScarfJirachi is definitely an answer to Gyarados, although I feel that it is less so for Mence as all it can do is force a speed tie. If that doesn't work for you, than you can change your Starmie to a Modest Scarf Set.

Starmie@Choice Scarf
Modest; 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Trick
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Surf / Hydro Pump

It checks both Mence and Gyara and outspeeds ScarfLatias and ScarfGar, not to mention ScarfGon, while Modest helps make up for the power loss caused by replacing LO with Scarf. Pursuiters must be careful switching in, as they are 2HKOd by Hydro Pump. Blissey or another wall can be easily Tricked.

Which means you could remove your Heatran's Scarf and use another set.

From what I see, there is one too many Choice pokemon on this team. Using a Subtran could be beneficial:

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

I already tested that specific Azelf lead you suggested, but this set works better for me late game. I could test Fire Blast over Psychic for a while though.
And yeah, i thought about adding Rotom-H, but ingame i can't get one atm :P i'll test this on shoddy, thanks. I can also use this guy really hard, since it's a good Spin Blocker which makes it easier for me to kill Mence/Gyara.
The Heatran you suggested states i should use Hidden Power - Grass, but i already posted i don't have the right HP ingame, i currently am using HPG on shoddy for a while now though.

I was also thinking about adding Scarfrachi as a revenge killer on many, many threats, and possibly replacing Breloom for it.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP
IceP / FireP / ThunderP / IronH

This set is a insane revenge killer with it's 492 Speed. After SR most of the opponents are within OHKO Range that Jirachi can almost everytime OHKO + the backup from Serene Grace. I think this set would contribute more to the team's consistancy then Breloom would do, since it's a more situational choice.

Azelf Starmie Rotom-H Jirachi Heatran Scizor

In any case, i would like to thank you all for helping me out here, i'll get testing right away =P
Scarf Jirachi is a good and reliable check to Salamence/Gyarados/Scizor/Gyarados but this EV spread I would use is Jolly/80HP/252attack/176speed. This will let you outpace all Adament Mences after a DD. However, Iceppunch isnt needed(Ironhead is a 2hko and the 60% chance of a OHKO due to flinch. Use that slot to utilize Trick or U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)