Other OU CCAT (Round 6 Nominations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks to Doughboy for most of the OP
taken over from boltsandbombers
Approved by AM

Hello friends! Welcome to the ORAS OU Community Create a Team. In this project, we will be working to nominate Pokemon sets that work well together and form a cohesive team as the final product.

STEPS:

1. In round 1, users will submit the focus pokemon of the team. The majority of the time the pokemon is a sweeper, however any type of pokemon can become the focus pokemon for the team. Remember that while the focus pokemon should be successful the majority of the time, it should also be interesting enough to sustain interest in the CCAT. The CCAT is also a learning experience, so don't be afraid to go a little outside of the box and explore. At the end of the round 1, there will be a vote on the submitted pokemon sets by users. The round will last a few days or until there are a decent number of pokemon in the poll. The pokemon that wins the majority of the votes will be the focus pokemon
  2. At the beginning of each new round, users will submit a pokemon set to compliment the focus Pokemon. The pokemon set should aim to contribute to the function of the focus pokemon (the pokemon chosen in round 1) and prevent the team as a whole from being threatened by the majority of the metagame. Again, the sets submitted by users will be subject to vote and whichever pokemon garners the most votes wins.
  3. After step 2 has been repeated for all the Pokemon in the team, we will have our semi-final team. We will then test drive the team on the ladder and look for ways to fine tune it.
So let's try this again and build the best team we can, while being interesting at the same time! Try not to have a submission be your only contribution for the CCAT. Discussion is important too for convincing / guiding users on the direction the team should take, the flaws of other submitted sets, and the threats that are found in the metagame now.

Be sure to include the full set of the pokemon, like how it would appear in PS importable. This is useful because different EVs, movesets, nature can affect the dynamic of the rest of the team and it makes it easier to create an importable that everyone can use.

You may now start your nominations, and be sure to explain your nomination.

Our team so far:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
- Recover

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Electric

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Last edited:
I nominate Swords Dance Lucario. Lucario has taken a hit in its effectiveness with the generation shift but is still a great cleaner with Extremespeed. Slower mons are hit with a +2 Close Combat, and best of all, Lucario's final move can be tailored to the team, with Bullet Punch, Ice Punch, Iron Tail, and Crunch all being options. Lucario is incredibly underrated and I think it would be interesting to build around.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch/Crunch/Iron Tail/Ice Punch

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
- Recover

I think Reuniclus a great Pokemon for the community to build around. First, its success isn't limited against only one team archetype, as it's able to wall a lot of common offensive Pokemon, including Mega Lopunny, Timid Altaria, Mega Diancie, Landorus-T, Air Balloon Excadrill, and Mega Venusaur, as well act act as a switch in to many stall Pokemon, including Ferrothorn, Mega Altaria, Heatran, Magic Guard Clefable, Hippowdon, and Chansey. Second, it doesn't only fit on one team archetype. To elaborate, by virtue of both its offensive and defensive abilities, it can fit on stall teams, bulky offensive teams, and balanced teams, so it will only really restrict us from using an all-out HO team. Third, it's a unique and refreshing Pokemon, and I believe that in the early stages uniqueness should be prioritized over genericness (mind you, generic mons are still effective; they're standard for a reason!). In my opinion it's wise to choose a win condition early on, and I think Reuniclus is a good candidate.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'll try to join in more seeing as how I didn't really get involved with the other thread as much from joining too late. I think people are gonna over think on how to establish a win condition when the focus I feel should really be more about a concept. I mean yeah sure this is usually the win condition more or less but it can also be the design of the team and how it functions, such as hazard stacking balance or w/e. Also for the love of whoever can we not build around something boring as hell. The two posts above me by Forumbeta and Aragorn are perfect examples of cool stuff we can use. Rather have more options and more freedom to be creative though. Make it somewhat of a challenge at least.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

if we're gonna make a team, why not go anti-meta? kyubes is a beast rn because balance has basically nothing for this thing's powerful attacks. LO 3 attacks + roost is incredibly effective as kyubes has very few safe switch ins, and even then, nothing likes taking an ice beam to the face. add on the fact that its only true counters are fairies and steels, it shoudn't be too difficult to build around kyubes given that it pairs really well with a multitude of pokemon. the most obvious one is heatran because aside from fighters, it takes on everything kyubes can't. another great thing about kyubes is that it fits on hyper offense, bulky offense, balance, and even certain semi-stall teams, which means that the direction in which we build can go in any which way we desire. another thing is that starting off with a wallbreaker allows us to choose a win condition based off of what kyubes beats, rather than choosing something that has to beat whatever [insert mon here] struggles with.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

if we're building an offensive team, i feel as if alakazam is an interesting choice. offenses 2 worst matchups are mega lop and rain. mega alakazam beats both of them, on top of beating other offense teams pretty well. energy ball is the odd move out, but its the best way for zam to beat rain. psychic is a strong stab, and shadow ball prevents metagross from taking advantage of it. focus blast lets it beat excadrill, the other big weather sweeper. i feel that if we do use mega zam, we should take a hyper offensive route. but yeah, mega zam is super antimeta :]

edit: hohohoho @ below

Alakazam @ Alakazite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute / Hidden Power Fire

Mega Zam is an underrated force in OU, and would provide several things to this team. First, it would provide a capable, fast revenge killer that can stop a lot of rampaging sweepers and speedsters. Second, it has the raw power at 175 Special Attack to pressure defensive builds with the help of a wallbreaker, as well as clean against offensive teams. It can also serve as a check to weather teams due to Trace. The other bonus to Mega Zam is that the last slot leaves a lot of room for flexibility. I listed two good options in Sub and HP Fire, but there are several more that can fit in there depending on what shape the rest of the team takes.

I understand some people mentioned in the last thread that starting with a Mega is not the best idea and usually that's true, but I would rather have this team showcase an underrated Mega that is still good in OU, like Zam or Aerodactyl.

Edit: Ninja'd by literally ten seconds.

Nominating Mega Houndoom

blessthefall (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Anybody who knows me knew this was coming. Not only is Mega Houndoom an extremely under-rated Pokémon in the current meta game, it's extremely powerful. Houndoom eats nearly every form of stall for breakfast and has absolutely no problem setting up on the majority of it. It also sets up on Mega Sableye freely, a top tier threat and the face of stall. Not to mention, Houndoom has a fantastic Speed tier of 115, allowing it to outspeed threats such as Genger, Latios and Mega Metagross. After a Nasty Plot, Mega Houndoom becomes, literally, the harbinger of death, with very few Pokémon switching in freely. Sadly, Houndoom does have a few common checks and a weakness to Stealth Rock, but this can be easily alleviated with team support.
Why not make a team with under-rated Pokémon?

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nominating stallbreaker Togekiss :^]

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell / Fire Blast / smth

Togekiss is a really underrated stallbreaker with its unique typing and respectable bulk combined with a diverse movepool to back it up. This can be a terror for bulkier teams as anything that is outsped will probably just get flinched to death, and faster mons fall to the dirty paraflinch combination of Thunder Wave + Air Slash. The other moves are kinda self explanatory, Heal Bell to stallbreak better, and Fire Blast is for bulky Steels like ferro and scizor. This spread avoids the 2HKO from Jolly Mega Lopunny's Return and LO Latios's Psyshock disregarding rocks, while outspeeding Jolly Bisharp. I feel while it may not require extensive team support to build around, Togekiss can act as a solid win condition. Also you dont need skill you just flinch everything amirite

Nominating Diggersby ;]]]]]]

Diggersby @ Focus Sash/ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance / Fire Punch

Diggersby is a powerhouse and very effective stall breaker in the current meta. With access to Fire Punch and Swords Dance it can also make it a very effective sweeper versus more balance teams and Hyper Offense. Being able to 2HKO almost the whole meta is actually quite scary and is deserves to be used more than it is right now imo. Return is a very powerful move that gets a STAB boost and the fact that it's normal type means a resistance is non-existent. Bulky steel types are destroyed by Fire Punch and Earthquake is just another powerful STAB it gets access to. Finally, Quick Attack for cleaning up and a priority that just hits extremely hard after the STAB, Huge Power and possible Swords Dance boosts. After weakening opposing mons with teammates, Diggersby is a very effective mid/late game sweeper and viable stall breaker.

Nominating Expert Belt Jirachi

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Mild Nature
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Iron Head
- Moonblast/Thunderbolt

This is a pretty antimeta set that was brought to my attention by -Gizmo- a few weeks ago. Thanks to Jirachi's typically defensive use in ORAS, Expert Belt Jirachi can catch many opponents off guard. It's able to lure in and damage many of Jirachi's typical switch ins, dealing damage that paves the way for a sweep later in the game. Based on the moveset, Jirachi is able to lure in and kill some combination of Landorus-T, Gliscor, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Heatran, Bisharp, Mega Sableye, and Mega Slowbro, not to mention it's regular usage of bullying Fairies and slower targets with Serene Grace boosted Iron Heads.

A lot of the above suggestions are win conditions, and heavily dictates how the team is built. However, Jirachi's flexibility of targets allows us to come back and change it's set, EV spread, and the like as the team is fleshed out, which leaves us open to quite a few things. Moreover, building around a support mon is a very different way of teambuilding, so I think it could be an interesting experience.

Okay, this one is interseting.
Slowbro@Slowbronite
Calm nature
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP 252 SpD 4 Def
-Toxic
-Block
-Slack off
-Foul Play
Yeah. I know. Interesting set. But it works. The Evs to increase bulk on all fronts. Max HP and SpD to make it a universal tank, and Foul Play to hit those who think they can hurt Slowbro with their high attack. Block+Toxic outstalls thoset setups. Slack Off for more health. I know, its unconventional, but it has gotten me through many battles.

You can also replace Slowbronite with leftovers to free up a slot.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
I got one. Time for non-mainstream.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Agility
- Roost

While most Altarias are Dragon Dance variants based on sweeping, this set is aimed towards wall-breaking & cleaning up late game. I saw this on an RMT that my good friend bludz made a few weeks ago. Hyper Voice is an absolutely ridiculously high powered STAB move, being able to 2HKO most physical walls coming in on it, expecting a physical DD set, & Fire Blast for the obvious Ferrothorn / Scizor / Pretty much any Steel type that's not Heatran. Agility allows Altaria Mega to outrun a good chunk of the meta & be able to OHKO faster, more frailer Pokemon. Finally Roost is obviously there to maintain longevity & prevent residual damage from wearing it down, thus hindering it from cleaning up late game.

I think a semistall team build around sand rush excadrill would be really cool. Sand is pretty powerfull rn, excadrill is kind of a pokemon that needs certain mons weaknened since it almost never can take a hit, if excadrill can't ohko it gets ohko'd. thats why i think semistall team thats just perfect for weakening no recovery mons like landorus-t. I'll link the set as soon as i get on my PC.

All right, this CCAT I've actually put thought into this nomination unlike last time. :D

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Roost

Honchkrow is a deadly, efficient late-game sweeper in UU and I believe, with the right support to cover his couple of glaring flaws he can be a force in the OU metagame and a cool starting point for our team. Honchkrow suffers from a few flaws which limit his effecitveness;his frailty and his over-reliance on sucker punch are the first that spring to mind. All in all, Honchkrow will be an unique first pokemon that is fun to use and even funner to build around.

Also Honchkrow isn't a mega which frees up teambuilding a ton.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Cloyster @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Naughty / Jolly / Adamant Nature (+Speed natures outspeed Scarf Keldeo at +2 but +Attack ones hit stuff like Rotom much harder)
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Natural Gift
- Hydro Pump / Ice Shard

Wanted to suggest something completely out-there so here you go. Cloyster is one of those Pokemon which can work in OU but need a huge amount of support in order to do so. This particular set acts both as a sweeper and as a Keldeo lure, and is very effective at the latter. It also breaks past other Water types like Azumarill, Gyarados, slightly weakened Rotom-W, Alomomola if you can avoid getting burnt by Scald, Quagsire, all of which are commonly used as checks to Cloyster. Liechi Berry also has the neat side-effect of raising Cloyser's Attack if it gets under 25% HP. So I think this could be pretty fun set to build around, both as a win condition and as a lure enabling other Pokemon like Bisharp and Crawdaunt to roam free.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Gyarados is an excellent win condition at the moment because it finds a switch in against many common threats such as Keldeo, Volcarona and Ferrothorn and set up a substitute or DD against the switch in. While it needs some support, it isn´t very difficult to give Gyarados the right support and at the same time it is a nice switch in to many pokemon because of its typing and intimidate, which makes him a good supprt to other teammembers. With 184 spe you outspeed 216+ Tornadus-T at +1, while the other EVs are put in attack and HP.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I would like to nominate double dance thundurus-t for the first slot. It can be an effective cleaner against offense teams with its high base spatk and an agility boost, or it can be a great wallbreaker after a nasty plot. However it doesn't get great coverage with only 2 moves, so it would definitely require a lot of team support. Anyway, other pros would include a nice immunity to electric attacks, including the ever annoying t-wave. It's also a great check for the many bulky waters that live in ou right now, and with a bit of support, I feel it can be an effective cleaner or wallbreaker for the team. Also, takes up no mega slot, so that's always nice.

Salamence @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Rush / Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake

I nominate petaya berry mence, which was created by xtra$hine. Basically, petaya mence gives you a base 100 poison type attack, which can kill fat fairies like azu and clef at +1. For dragon stab, you can use dragon rush, dragon claw, or outrage. Earthquake is used to hit pesky steels like mag and tran. Sadly, you have to use intimidate to be able to use natural gift. However, intimidate isn't that bad, it lets you set up on a lot of physical attackers. We could use another sweeper than is hindered by fairies (like mega gyarados or something) in combination with mence, since mence oftentimes lures these mons.

+1 252+ Atk Petaya Berry Salamence Natural Gift (100 BP Poison) vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 444-524 (110.7 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Petaya Berry Salamence Natural Gift (100 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 392-462 (99.4 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

hehe rekt scrubs

Last edited:

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hi Smogon Community, I'm a new player, nay, an old player with a new account.
I started playing ORAS some months ago and I saw how Landorus is one of the best stallbreaker of this metagame, a metagame very focused on balanced teams.
This pokemon destroy all of the meta with Sheer Force + Life Orb coupled with his coverage and a discreet speed.
Sludge Wave is obviusly for fairy, mostly Clefable and Mega-Altaria. Earth Power is the STAB wich beat anything, Focus Blast is for Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, Hidden Power [Ice] is for te dragons, like Dragonite, Garchomp...
I always been limited to watching Smogon Tours, and I never play it; but in the ORAS week I see too much Landorus-I, the team impressed me is the fantastic Bloo Balanced, with Landorus + Mega-Venusaur + Starmie + Skarmory + Heatran , because the only things can revenge kill Landorus are: Starmie, Rotom-W, Latwins, Mega-Metagross, Keldeo and all of this pokemon are stopped by M-Venu+Skarm+Starmie+Heatran, and this, allow Landorus to spam some big attack.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang / filler
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail / filler

Nominating this monstrosity of a 'mon. After some test laddering with it on an alt, I was like, "yo, this thing is really good o.O" It has bomb coverage, blistering speed, and good power factoring in the Tough Claws boost. In addition to all of that, M-Aero has beautiful match-up vs Offense and can threaten Balance teams. I guess it can clean up weakened stall teams? Anyways, I would love to see the community build around this mon. Yeah n_n

Nominating SubPunch Breloom

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb

Breloom has a very cool move called Spore , which forces a lot of switchouts, this can be exploited with Substitute and Focus Punch to gain momentum or kill something. While the technical set is a bit stronger, the SP is much harder to revenge kill and it can sweep unprepared teams. In addition , this set suits on many playstyles like Balance, Bulky Offense, Sand and Rain Offense, etc.

Ok, seeing as how we already have a bunch of nominations, I'd like to kick this off and start voting!

Round 1 nominations:

SD Lucario
CM Reuniclus
3 Attack + Roost Kyurem-Black
Mega Alakazam
NP Mega Houndoom
Stallbreaker Togekiss
SD Diggersby
Expert Belt Jirachi
Mega Slowbro
Agility Mega Altaria
Sand Rush Excadrill
Honchkrow
Natural Gift Cloyster
SubDD Gyarados
Double Dancer Thundurus-Therian
DD Petaya Berry Salamence
All-Out Attacker Landorus-I
Mega Aerodactyl
SubPunch Breloom

You are allowed to vote for up to 3 sets, (you don't have to, the maximum is 3) make sure you bold your vote!
Also, please don't vote for your own sets.

edit: voting will last 3-5 days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)