Resource OU Checks Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Skarmory should be a GSI for Breloom

252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Focus Punch is a solid final moveslot on offensive sets. Also Spore puts Skarm to sleep leaving it pretty vulnerable since it's neutral to Fighting STAB whereas some of the other GSIs like Altaria can still tank those attacks really easily

Edit: also

252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 174-205 (52.2 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 139-165 (41.7 - 49.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And that's Jolly Nature

Last edited:
Mixed Def Alomomola (0/252+/252) makes a good SSI to Tornadus-t:
252 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 199-235 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It beats the AV set, and regenerator lets it repeatedly switch into u-turn without getting worn down.

(Mola can also do work against the lo set, under special conditions: Torn can't pressure it with hurricane anymore once it's burned or toxic'ed on rocks. (It loses a lot of health if it stays in instead of pressing u-turn. Mola gets 2hko'ed by a hurricane and has to switch out if it hits, but its hp on average will go up switching into lo Torn, due to Regenerator + Lefties + Protect and Hurricane missing. It's the way I usually deal with Torn, and the only times it didn't work was against rain teams.)

--

Also, should Porygon2 be a GSI to Heatran?
It can dodge Lava Plume, but not Toxic; and I didn't think spdef Tran took enough from its electric / normal / Ice coverage to lose the matchup.

HP Ground seems nieche, not sure if I'd even consider it.
0 SpA Porygon2 Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 136-160 (35.3 - 41.5%) -- 65.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(offensive P2 still fails to 2hko unless it's holding a life orb, and if Tran has protect toxic starts to tick a lot faster.)

The regular set (with Trace) works as an SSI for Trans that lack Toxic.

--

Edit: Alomomola is an SSI to Keldeo (specs).

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 167-197 (35.4 - 41.8%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 172-204 (36.5 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
(28.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and burn damage)

--

bludz: I agree with moving Skarm to SSI, since you have to win a prediction to get the spore consumed onto another of your mons. (This is pretty close to a sacc in most cases, even if it works. But meh, skarm technically switches in even though it requires an almost-sacc).

And it seems Dragalge has to be physically defensive and requires the same prediction / sleep fodder as Skarm.

Edit2: Maybe Wobbuffet should be removed, now that it can't use shadow tag. Everyone knows that it can't really do anything if you switch, so it's even less useful now. [Even though it still forces a switch and works as a check, it's just really unviable.]

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
This thread is really helpful. While looking through, I became a little confused about the way some Pokemon are determined as GSI/SSI/NSI, but here are a few thoughts I had:

Mega Ampharos as a GSI for Mega Scizor seems shaky. Offensive M-Sciz is faster and does 90 - 106% with +2 Bug Bite to SpD M-Amphy, while KOing Agility variants. With the analysis spread for bulky SD M-Sciz, Agility M-Amphy loses coming in on SD, since Bug Bite/Superpower followed by BP kills. In the process, M-Sciz takes 46.6 - 55.1% from a Modest Thunderbolt, which can be healed later. SpD M-Amphy is also set up fodder for bulky M-Sciz. The only scenario I can see M-Amphy switching in and winning is when coming in on a bulky SD variants with Knock Off, which I don't think is as common as other coverage options. In this situation, Agility M-Amphy will be faster and have a good chance to 2HKO with Thunderbolt if using Modest, while surviving any combination of hits. However, I wouldn't say that this makes M-Amphy a GSI, so maybe that could be edited if others agree.

On the topic of M-Scizor, is there a reason it's listed as a SSI to Mamoswine, while regular Scizor is listed as a GSI to it? M-Scizor should be a GSI if regular Scizor is too. Its superior bulk lets it take LO EQ much better than its regular form. It can be invested heavily in physical defense to avoid a 2HKO from even Adamant LO EQ, and Roost off the damage. Regular Sciz can't do this as comfortably, and is hit for a 2HKO even with max defense and Impish, unlike its mega form. The only argument I can think of for regular Sciz being a GSI over its mega form is being able to switch in on EQ with its CB set and KO back with BP, whereas max attack M-Sciz can't do the same and KO in return. However, that seems like a weird reason, and don't think it justifies M-Sciz only being an SSI.

Rotom-W as a GSI to Bisharp is a little misleading. I know it can come in on a predicted Sucker or Iron Head, but if it switches in on SD, it's dead to Knock Off. Speedy Rotom-W with Bold can take a Knock Off and proceed to burn and win between Pain Split + Hydro Pump, but those variants aren't very common and some Bisharp use Lum Berry, making this situational at best. As such, I think Rotom-W would fit better under the SSI category in this case.

Hippowdon as a GSI for Mega Houndoom is a bit questionable, no? Fire Blast has a 91.8% chance to 2HKO the standard mixed spread, doing 51.4 - 60.7%. If doggy NPs on the switch, that's a clean kill. SpD Hippo switches in more reliably, but these variants aren't too common and is unlisted as a main set on the analysis. Even with a SpD spread, though, you can argue that Mega Houndoom can burn Hippo on the switch, NP on the EQ, and win. While very uncommon, there's also Sunny Day sets capable of blasting through even SpD Hippo with a Solar Power boosted FB. I think SSI would be more accurate here.

I am slightly unsure about this one, but regular Gyarados as a GSI to Manaphy seems arguable. RestTalk variants can come in and phaze, but is that doing anything other than delaying Manaphy's second attempt at sweeping? On the initial switch, you will have to take a boosted Energy Ball. If you factor in SR, Gyara will be taking 60+ damage. If you can't find the opportunity to Rest before Manaphy comes in again, you are likely dying. If you do find the chance to Rest before Manaphy comes back in, you have to rely on good Sleep Talk rolls to phaze, which is unreliable. In 1v1 situations, RestTalk Gyara can't beat any variant of Manaphy either because it doesn't do enough damage with its attacks. Further, the more common DD variants can't switch in on Tail Glow sets and win, because Manaphy takes +1 Bounce and 2HKOs back. Gyara also has to be wary of Scald burns. I can understand the reasoning behind Gyara in GSI, but it's a poor answer overall.

There's some other placements I found odd, but am hesitant to mention until I think about them more :s

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
There are a few debatable changes that could be made because in some situations the compendium uses a double standard. The same discussion was in this thread a few pages ago and the consensus was that a GSI should be able to switch in against all the sets on the analysis and the most common moves in the usage list, whether or not it is listed in the smogon dex. This is not even always the case because (example) Tank-Fable beats some of its GSI's: Heatran, MBro, Tentacruel, Empoleon, MAggron, Nidoking and Hoopa-C.
The set for the GSI / SSI / NSI is pretty customable. It doesn't really matter if a coverage move doesn't show up in the smogon dex or high in the usage stats; if it is a viable coverage move (read: if it's in the Other Options in the smogon dex), it should be considered for its placement as GSI/SSI/NSI. Because of this Low Kick Bisharp is a counter to Bisharp. Low Kick doesn't show up high in the usage stats and neither does it appear in a main set on the analysis. However, Low Kick is in the section Other Options so it is listed as viable (just not used enough / not good enough to warrant a place in a main set)
Agreeing with most of Infernal's suggestions except MScizor should be a GSI to Mamoswine because Offensive SD OHKO's with BP after LO recoil. It's not really a weird reason that regular Scizor is a GSI too because the same is the case with Thundurus being a GSI to MPinsir: it can take one hit, outspeed and OHKO in return. Also I've never actually seen a Gyarados countering a Manaphy, so SSI sounds okay to me. Hippowdon should go SSI for MDoom because even SpD (which should be considered because it's in OO) loses to Wisp NP. SunnyBeam is bad btw.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Shaymin is currently ranked C- (higher than other mons listed as checks such as crobat, weezing, and pangoro), and with its defensive utility it probably should be listed as a switch-in to some mons. I'm kinda iffy on the specifics (for example, is it an SSI or an NSI to Omastar if it can switch into anything other than an Ice Beam in the rain), but the below mons (and probably more) are mons it can check well. This is going on the Seed Flare / EP / HP Fire / Rest | Synthesis set.

GSI to: Mega Slowbro, Suicune

GSI or SSI to: Gliscor (knock off on the switch is annoying; loses if its LO gets knocked off and it doesn't get any seed flare spD drops), Landorus-T (u-turn's annoying)

SSI to: Manaphy (really set dependent: Wins if no Ice Beam), Omastar (can't switch in on Ice Beam in the rain), Mega Swampert (can't switch into an Ice Punch in the Rain), Breloom (LO Superpower + Mach Punch Kills), Raikou (loses to CM; specs HP-Ice on switch)

SSI or NSI to: Garchomp (loses to SD sets), Feraligatr (loses to Ice Punch, which is a secondary slash), Mega Gyarados (shaymin can take any +1 attack from full), Starmie (loses if it switches into an Ice Beam or psychic)

NSI to: Azumarill, Crawdaunt, Mega Diancie, Diggersby, Excadrill, Kingdra, Magnezone, Toxicroak, Scizor, Keldeo

Add :

1) Terrakion as NSI for
Hoopa-U (Outspeeds and OHKOes with Close Combat)

2) Lucario as NSI for
i) Heatran (Outspeeds and OHKOes with Close Combat)
ii) Magnezone (Can take a Scarf Thunderbolt and OHKO back with Close Combat. Also, outspeeds if Specs)
iii) Weavile (Takes very little from Ice Shard while Bullet Punch KOes after Rocks or one round of LO recoil)
iv) Togekiss (Outspeeds and OHKOes with Iron Tail)

3) Lucario as SSI for
i) Tyranitar (Resists dual STABs, outspeeds and OHKO any variant except Scarf with Close Combat.)
ii) Tyranitar-M (Resists dual STABs, outspeeds and OHKO with Close Combat)

Remove

1) Terrakion as NSI for
Toxicroak (It should be the other way around imo as Toxicroak survives a Close Combat and KO back with Drain Punch; unless you run Zen Headbutt Terrakion for some reason)

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Played a bit with Roserade and Jellicent (C- and D) and both check some common stuff so it would be nice if these could be added

Roserade (LO Sludge Bomb + Leaf Storm)
GSI: Suicune
SSI: Azu, Breloom, Clef, Sylveon
NSI: Mega Alt, Crawdaunt, Keldeo, Mega Sceptile, Togekiss

Jellicent (Both PDef and SpDef)
GSI: Keldeo, Omastar, Mega Slowbro, Suicune, Toxicroak
SSI: Mega Aero, Mega Beedrill, Clef, Feraligatr, Heatran, Kingdra, Latias, Lucario, Scizor, Scolipede, Starmie
NSI: Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, Mega Scizor

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
+1 Shadow Ball 2HKOs 100% of the time, +2 has a chance to OHKO unless you have bulk, and you can't even kill it because Seed Bomb does 35%, tops. It only switches in to the utility set after Poison Heal activates.

Last edited:
Yeah that's true if you absolutely no bulk. So then just run bulk. Max sp.d with bulk up beats calm mind Sableye. Also few other suggestion
1)Crawdaunt should be added as an SSI to Bisharp and Weavile(Can take 2 hits and KO back with crabhammer)
2)Toxicroak as a SSI to mega Venusuar(Can 2hko venusaur with gunk shot while venusaur fails to do so with any of its moves except for EQ)
3)Reuniclus added as GSI to lopunny, Venusuar, Manetric, and Magnezone.
4)For Mamoswine regular Scizor listed as GSI while mega Scizor listed as a SSI, that show probably be switched. Skarmory showed be listed only as GSI to Mamoswine and Charizard-x as a GSI to weavile.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Could you add Poliwrath as a check to various mons? I know it isn't used much at all, but it's definitely something that can check certain threats really well. Poliwrath shares similar defensive stats as Keldeo, but also has Water Absorb, so it makes it more ideal to check certain mons that rely on strong water stabs like Suicune.

GSI to Weavile, Bisharp, Crawdaunt, Feraligatr, Mega Gyarados, Kabutops, Omastar, Scizor, Mega Scizor, Mega Sharpedo, Suicune, Tyranitar, Mega Tyranitar, Gliscor, Mega Houndoom, and basically wherever Keldeo is GSI (I think I covered most if not all).

SSI to Keldeo (specs does 40-47, but otherwise does around 32%), Heatran (I'm guessing you have the other water types here in case of Solarbeam, so I guess Poliwrath can go here too)

The set I'm referring to is:

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It's able to take hits, then either burn with Scald, or force them out with Circle Throw. It's also got good/decent recovery with Rest/Sleep Talk.

If you need replays or calcs, I can get them if you want.

Yeah that's true if you absolutely no bulk. So then just run bulk. Max sp.d with bulk up beats calm mind Sableye. Also few other suggestion
1)Crawdaunt should be added as an SSI to Bisharp and Weavile(Can take 2 hits and KO back with crabhammer)
2)Toxicroak as a SSI to mega Venusuar(Can 2hko venusaur with gunk shot while venusaur fails to do so with any of its moves except for EQ)
3)Reuniclus added as GSI to lopunny, Venusuar, Manetric, and Magnezone.
4)For Mamoswine regular Scizor listed as GSI while mega Scizor listed as a SSI, that show probably be switched. Skarmory showed be listed only as GSI to Mamoswine and Charizard-x as a GSI to weavile.
1) Adamant Bisharp easily 2HKOes with Iron Head + Knock Off. Jolly also has a guaranteed KOed with Stealth Rock up.
Weavile also has a chance to 2HKO with Icicle Crash + Knock Off if Stealth Rock is up.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 104-122 (38.8 - 45.5%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 126-148 (47 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 116-136 (43.2 - 50.7%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 94-112 (35 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 112-133 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 97-116 (36.1 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

2) Actually, if Stealth Rock is up, Toxicroak is KOed by the combination of Sludge Bomb + Hidden Power Fire because of the Life Orb recoil that Toxicroak suffers.
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dry Skin Toxicroak: 122-144 (39.7 - 46.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 110-129 (35.8 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

4) Even bulky Zard-X is 2HKOed by Icicle Crash without Rocks.
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard: 169-200 (47 - 55.7%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

Will comment on the others later.

1) Adamant Bisharp easily 2HKOes with Iron Head + Knock Off. Jolly also has a guaranteed KOed with Stealth Rock up.
Weavile also has a chance to 2HKO with Icicle Crash + Knock Off if Stealth Rock is up.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 104-122 (38.8 - 45.5%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 126-148 (47 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 116-136 (43.2 - 50.7%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 94-112 (35 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 112-133 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 97-116 (36.1 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

2) Actually, if Stealth Rock is up, Toxicroak is KOed by the combination of Sludge Bomb + Hidden Power Fire because of the Life Orb recoil that Toxicroak suffers.
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dry Skin Toxicroak: 122-144 (39.7 - 46.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 110-129 (35.8 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

4) Even bulky Zard-X is 2HKOed by Icicle Crash without Rocks.
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard: 169-200 (47 - 55.7%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

Will comment on the others later.
Considering bisharp has to roll max twice in order to beat crawdaunt I wouldn't call that an easy 2HKO. Toxicroak would SD first an than attack letting beat venusaur. I assumed hazard weren't factor in the placement of but if that's the case than crawdaunt and toxicroak should be listesd as NSI. I have no idea how you got that calc for weavile icicle crash on charizard but its wrong.
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Mega Charizard X: 142-169 (39.4 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The list is missing Ferrothorn. Seeing as how good of a utilty mon it is in OU, i would assume this is an oversight unless there is some other reason it isn't on the list.

The list is missing Ferrothorn. Seeing as how good of a utilty mon it is in OU, i would assume this is an oversight unless there is some other reason it isn't on the list.
That's probably because Ferrothorn is more of a defensive mon, where this list really only lists offensive or set-up mons. So unless Curse(lol) becomes relevant, I wouldn't put it on the list.

I made a version that includes defensive threats. (See signature, brmt->edit->export to html.) Basically there's three new categories (GSIto,SSIto,NSIto). It takes every entry and inverts it (if Bisharp has GSI:Keldeo, Keldeo gets GSIto:Bisharp).

We could have added them here too, but that makes it even more images. So the load time would get even longer, and we don't want that I think.

Note: The compendium on here has changes that brmt doesn't have yet.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was looking through this and saw a pokemon a few days ago which didn't have Suicune listed as a check to it. I forget the pokemon but this prompted me to run through the full list and I think Suciune should be added for the following pokemon:

Azumarill : SSI
Mega Beedrill : GSI
Excadrill : SSI
Infernape : SSI
Kabutops : GSI
Kingdra : SSI
Latias / Latios : SSI / NSI
Lopunny : SSI
Mega Sableye : GSI
Terrakion : SSI / NSI
Tyranitar : GSI

I didn't think too hard about the category (GSI/SSI/NSI) but I do think it should be added for these mons wherever you decide to put it

The following are others it could be added for but are a bit shakier:

Feraligatr
Gyarados
Sharpedo

Yeah without Roar it's sorta just setup fodder for Sub Gyarados and has to fish for a burn on Feraligatr / Sharpedo / Taunt Gyara

Last edited:
Seems fine unless Serperior runs life orb + hidden power ice. Noivern switches into any move, outspeeds and ohkoes.
HP ice doesn't have enough usage to make this an SSI, and it's not mentioned on the serperior analysis page.

Edit: Life orbed Dragon pulse has around 20% chance to ohko after rocks, unless Noivern eves for it.

[06:21:08]+Orda-Y: .usage1825 serperior moves ou
[06:21:08]+TIBot: Leaf Storm 99.917% | Hidden Power Fire 74.661% | Dragon Pulse 50.586% | Glare 41.991% | Substitute 36.503% | Leech Seed 26.208% | Taunt 20.375% | Giga Drain 18.488% | Hidden Power Ground 16.306% | Other 14.964%
[06:26:07]+Orda-Y: .usage1825 serperior items ou
[06:26:07]+TIBot: Leftovers 52.723% | Life Orb 20.225% | Lum Berry 10.513% | Miracle Seed 9.452% | Assault Vest 2.086% | Meadow Plate 1.149% | Other 3.851%

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Noivern: 203-239 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Noivern: 291-343 (93.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 28 SpD Noivern: 195-231 (62.7 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Hi, so I'm pretty burnt out right now and this project isn't getting the love it deserves from me. I'm gonna be handing it over to OrdA, who's been a huge contributor and has done a lot of programming work on this. I trust that he'll do a great job with it. Thank you all for your contributions to this project.

If a mod could lock this when they see this post, that would be great. OrdA's new thread should be up soon-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)