Gen 5 [OU] Finally (possibly) built a winning team around my cheesy Mew sweeper

I've been using this Mew set on and off for actually years, and usually it kills at least 2 mons. Super casual player(first post on forums!), usually do randoms, but every now and then I'll try to come up with Gen5 teams that don't use ALL of the usual suspects/strategies. I did eventually cave a bit, as you see below. But first, the Mew I mentioned.

Grab the Broom

1635293838622.png
1635291474230.png
1635292623624.png

Mew @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flame Charge
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt/Outrage

+1 Speed puts it above Jolly Zam but im not sure if that matters. Outrage because its the same BP, 100acc, and the coverage is better for other psychics, which stand in the way after the steels are dead. +2 Drain Punch (my experience, on aervage) does around 72% to Thorn, 48% to Skarm, 65-85 to Heatran, 39-50 to Jirachi, OHKOs TTar, even with some damage and Choptle Berry itll still kill. +2 Flame charge OHKOS Scizor and everyone and their grandmother switches it in on the SD. +2 Zen Headbutt OHKOS a lot of things with rocks. So you get the idea. Get it in off a pivot, SD on steel switchin(almost always assumed to be special/utility), ideally use the coverage moves to keep it alive longer or boost speed, and go from there. Also notable that if i can Drain Punch back to 80ish health, often times I'll manage a second SD.

Other things worth noting. It's bulky enough to not worry about most priority moves. Rarely see Sucker Punch, and when I do its very predictable. Banded Bullet Punch or Dnitee Expremespeed 3hk0s at the very most.

Big Enemies: Starmie, Latios, Jellicent, Gliscor, Status in general.

Mind-game enemies:
Volc. Max speed is a tie at best without a boost so I risk getting destroyed before I set anything up. I'll generally Flame Charge first if its in the lineup and looks like they they think is their best switchin, which it kills with rocks, 2hk0s without rocks with no SD. OHKOs +1 +2 Zen Headbutt.
Lando-T. +1 Zen Heabutt beats it and outspeeds almost always, regardless of Flame Charge. An example of a mon I'll sometimes finish off with Flame Charge for that boost, but +1 Zen Headbutt is not the strongest, and misses.

This team just worked around it to do its thing really well, winning way way more often than my 60% win rate in gen5OU.

The Basics:

1635293805214.png

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 144 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish/ HP Ice/ Stone Edge

Standard with a twist on the rock polish for a faster switchin, like a starmie. Ensures those rocks stay up.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Flamethrower/Stealth Rock/ Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Skarm was killing me, this has been a great answer for it. I like the coverage since TTar doesnt seem to stay in for more than a few turns anyway. The fake pursuiter.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Iron Head
- U-turn

You know the deal, Wish passes are really crucial on this team. I kind of want to replace Iron Head with a spatk move so someone can take a burn. I needed spammable spA in general and an all-purpose physical attack sponge to keep everyone else healthy, and sack it when the times comes. Enter the prince who for whatever reason, put it all together.

The Glue:

1635293763095.png

Seadra @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Clear Smog
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

As I said, sponges any physical attack not named Bullet Seed. Absolutely eats Earthquakes from anyone and absorbs status, which is essential. 314HP, 475 Def, 189spD. Tanks resisted special attacks in a pinch. Resttalk is so nice here. Nothing sets up except steels, who get burned. Haven't encountered sub setups yet, but realize thatll be a problem. The Scald is no joke at 227spA. Unlike most NFEs(I died on a Tangela/togetic hill), resttalk allows it to hang around in sand. This is also, of course, the least important member of the team besides maybe Ttar, and once it chips the attackers threatening the rest of the team, it's the one to sack, usually. Followed by

1635292591391.png

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Night Slash
- Low Kick

Key partner-in-crime for Mew and the real Pursuit/revenge killer. Once I realized that banded, Pursuit kills most things weak to it regardless if it switches or not in sand+rocks, I'll sac in front of Mew counter when the times right for the key revenge.

I really just wanted to do a firsttime post but this has climbed me up the ladder in gen5OU just as I was about to give up on it after seeing the same teams over and over. Haven't done a full checklist but I'm sure im super susceptible to stuff. Volc caught me once without rocks up, and Quiver Danced on Lando's EQ. Obviously a concern. Let me know what you think if you have any suggestions. Everyone besides Mew I have no issues swapping out, but Lil Seadra starting to grow on me.

Last edited:

Gamer1234556

"Because... Scald is a shit Ferro answer!!!"
Wow, this team sure has a lot to unpack.

+1 Speed puts it above Jolly Zam but im not sure if that matters.
"Jolly Zam"? More like Timid Zam if that is what you are referring to.

Also, while I do sort of get your explanations for the set you gave, I do have another set I would recommend here:

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch

Skarm was killing me, this has been a great answer for it. I like the coverage since TTar doesnt seem to stay in for more than a few turns anyway. The fake pursuiter.
If your team is Skarm weak, then you might want to consider using Zone on this team because Tar alone does NOT work as a Skarm check.

As for Seadra, you really have to give a solid justification as to why use it over any other bulky water, especially Gastrodon, Jellicent and Milotic, each of which can do everything Seadra can but with better utility overall in the metagame. Rest Talk is NOT a strategy you want to use in a serious game. As for the set you given specifically, I would say that Gastrodon generally executes it better minus the fact that it is weak to Status due to it not being worn down by Sand, immunity to water moves and has reliable recovery.

Another thing is that you really have to justify why you would want to use Weavile over Scizor, who also comes with priority and doesn't upon clicking a move.

One thing that I would want to note is that this team is extremely weak to Rotom-W. Since your team barely has any way of dealing with it, Rotom is guarenteed to come in, Burn something, and then switch out while you lose momentum.

Generally speaking, I feel like following some teams built by more experienced players would help you creating a stronger team centered around SD Mew. We had a teambuilding competition a few days ago and here are some sample teams that I found:

https://pokepast.es/4264e2b085dfbcae
https://pokepast.es/6dc30dd8cd83dcde

Its good to see someone actually getting interested in BW tho! I wish you luck in your future endeavors!

Edit #1: I just realised that I pasted the same link twice. I updated it to have the other team I meant to share.

Last edited:
1. I actually was running Zone here. Here are my jusitifications, you can tell me if they sound valid: 1) Tbolt for winning the weather war, and while this isn't a sand team, id rather have sand up than rain//having having some say in the weather. But to your point, I could run Lum Berry on Mew if I don't have sand. 2) I desperately needed a Taunt user 3)needed a little more spD bulk so Jirachi wasn't carrying the burden alone.

2. Weavile revenge kills dragons too, and Pursuit without STAB won't kill a lot of things that Weavile does kill if they stay in. This is why I want to replace Night Slash with somehting.

3. Rotom-W you're 100% right. I've been lucky with that, Rotom-W comes in on my +2 +1 Mew when its already too late, hoping to burn, and gets killed with rocks up. Maybe I can replace TTar with something that fills this role as well as helps with Skarm.

4. I took a hard look at Milotic. As for the other two, I needed purely physical attack bulk, and those don't have that. Seadra just catches people by surprise, but once again, it's good point. Only thought I'd get away with Resttalk with Clear Smog in there as well, but that will eventually hurt me. I love NFEs though, shame.

Let me check out the replays, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Wow, this team sure has a lot to unpack.

"Jolly Zam"? More like Timid Zam if that is what you are referring to.

Also, while I do sort of get your explanations for the set you gave, I do have another set I would recommend here:

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch

If your team is Skarm weak, then you might want to consider using Zone on this team because Tar alone does NOT work as a Skarm check.

As for Seadra, you really have to give a solid justification as to why use it over any other bulky water, especially Gastrodon, Jellicent and Milotic, each of which can do everything Seadra can but with better utility overall in the metagame. Rest Talk is NOT a strategy you want to use in a serious game. As for the set you given specifically, I would say that Gastrodon generally executes it better minus the fact that it is weak to Status due to it not being worn down by Sand, immunity to water moves and has reliable recovery.

Another thing is that you really have to justify why you would want to use Weavile over Scizor, who also comes with priority and doesn't upon clicking a move.

One thing that I would want to note is that this team is extremely weak to Rotom-W. Since your team barely has any way of dealing with it, Rotom is guarenteed to come in, Burn something, and then switch out while you lose momentum.

Generally speaking, I feel like following some teams built by more experienced players would help you creating a stronger team centered around SD Mew. We had a teambuilding competition a few days ago and here are some sample teams that I found:

Its good to see someone actually getting interested in BW tho! I wish you luck in your future endeavors!
oh lol yeah timid zam, my bad

It's interesting switchup, but drainpunch isn't strong enough vs Steels that take neutral damage. Like, at all. That's why Flame Charge works here. Then you add the fact that It jumps up a speed tier and thats why I used it over Sucker Punch, and wanted to instead find ways to work around Pokes that Sucker Punch would be useful against.

Also the EV spread you recomended is solid. It's one I've used on this set a whole lot. Ultimately, I find a take a hit or two as I set up in one way or another, or on second switch. Therefore, the bulk is better than who I outspeed with that spread. The only one I can think of who hurts me without +1 is Hydreigon, who's often scarfed anyway. I also need more info on how Drain Punch works, and if I recover more with more HP than without. Sounds simple, but maybe it's not.

Last edited:

Gamer1234556

1) Tbolt for winning the weather war
I don't really think that any Rain user would just throw Politoed at Tyranitar just like that, and even then, Tbolt is weak as piss.

56 SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 102-120 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Not to mention that with Sand up, Mew just gets worn down over time in the battle. I would recommend Sunny Day Magnezone over Tyranitar to help you trap Steels.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sunny Day
- Magnet Rise

2) I desperately needed a Taunt user
Why? What do you need it for?

3)needed a little more spD bulk so Jirachi wasn't carrying the burden alone.
A lot of Wless teams have SpD Rachi as the sole DM absorber. If you really don't like Latios, I could recommend adding Scizor on this team to help trap it.

2. Weavile revenge kills dragons too, and Pursuit without STAB won't kill a lot of things that Weavile does kill if they stay in. This is why I want to replace Night Slash with somehting.
Well the problem is that Weavile lives and dies by its move. Not to mention that Choice Band Weavile might be one of the worst sets to use on it. If you really want to use it, I may as well use Expert Belt or BlackGlasses.

Weavile also has a terrible defensive typing, which doesn't help matters either.

4. I took a hard look at Milotic. As for the other two, I needed purely physical attack bulk, and those don't have that. Seadra just catches people by surprise, but once again, it's good point. Only thought I'd get away with Resttalk with Clear Smog in there as well, but that will eventually hurt me. I love NFEs though, shame.
If you want physical attack bulk, then I would recommend this:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Unlike Seadra, Gastrodon can actually hold Leftovers, is immune to Sand and helps your MU immensely against Rain.

oh lol yeah timid zam, my bad

It's interesting switchup, but drainpunch isn't strong enough vs Steels that take neutral damage. Like, at all. That's why Flame Charge works here. Then you add the fact that It jumps up a speed tier and thats why I used it over Sucker Punch, and wanted to instead find ways to work around Pokes that Sucker Punch would be useful against.

Also the EV spread you recomended is solid. It's one I've used on this set a whole lot. Ultimately, I find a take a hit or two as I set up in one way or another, or on second switch. Therefore, the bulk is better than who I outspeed with that spread. The only one I can think of who hurts me without +1 is Hydreigon, who's often scarfed anyway. I also need more info on how Drain Punch works, and if I recover more with more HP than without. Sounds simple, but maybe it's not.
Ok, I will be the first to say that I am not the most experienced user of SD Mew, so I will leave that set to your choosing.

I don't really think that any Rain user would just throw Politoed at Tyranitar just like that, and even then, Tbolt is weak as piss.

56 SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 102-120 (26.5 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Not to mention that with Sand up, Mew just gets worn down over time in the battle. I would recommend Sunny Day Magnezone over Tyranitar to help you trap Steels.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sunny Day
- Magnet Rise

A lot of Wless teams have SpD Rachi as the sole DM absorber. If you really don't like Latios, I could recommend adding Scizor on this team to help trap it.

Well the problem is that Weavile lives and dies by its move. Not to mention that Choice Band Weavile might be one of the worst sets to use on it. If you really want to use it, I may as well use Expert Belt or BlackGlasses.

Weavile also has a terrible defensive typing, which doesn't help matters either.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Unlike Seadra, Gastrodon can actually hold Leftovers, is immune to Sand and helps your MU immensely against Rain.

Ok, I will be the first to say that I am not the most experienced user of SD Mew, so I will leave that set to your choosing.

Yeah I threw specs on Ttar and even then it was a bag of sh*t vs spd toed. I think I'm gonna take the advice on zone and gastrodon(have always hated that mon, but maybe thats a testament to its value)

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sunny Day
- Magnet Rise

Last thing, forgive me for being new to the teminology, but what does MU mean xd

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Clear Smog
- Recover

I will say though, that Seadra just forced SD Breloom out lol

and why do I need Taunt? I dont know, just always been a fan for stopping hazard setups in their tracks without needing a spinner. Really wish g5 had just 1 or 2 more viable spinners.

Also, If I were to replace Weavile with Scizor, I'm thinking I throw a Scarf on it? If I'm using it specifically as a revenge killer vs Dragons and Psychics? Lmk what you think or if you have a set

was thinking:

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Last edited:

Gamer1234556

Ok, so based on our discussion, the team that you have now looks like this.

Well, the immediate issue here is that this team is extremely weak against Smurf HO. Like, borderline an autolose if Volc comes in on either Scarf Scizor or Magnezone. This might have been my fault, however, since I was the one why suggested Zone over Tar. There are several reasons for this:

1) This team cannot keep rocks up against Starmie. Since Lando-T doesn't have HP Ice, it pretty much loses to Lead Chomp since EQ barely 2HKOs Lead Chomp while Chomp to KO Lando-T back after 2 SDs.

2) This team also has no means of speed control, meaning that Starmie can freely get rocks off, thus closing the game with Volc.

This is actually why having Sucker Punch is much better than relying on Flame Charge for Speed Boosts. It means that you can consistently 1v1 Volcarona as well as opposing Psychics such as Latios and Zam.

Therefore, my main recommendations would be HP Ice on Lando-T and to change your Mew set to the spread that I recommended to you earlier. Since you have Zone, you don't have to rely on DP KOing Steels.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Hidden Power: Ice
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mew @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)