OU: I need help with my first team.

I just started competitive battling a couple days ago. Before then I've had no experience other than just playing the R/B and Diamond game, so my team probably has many flaws. I've been reading as much as I can on smogon to figure out how to make a team and after some tweaking this is what I came up with. My goal with this team was to be aggressive and put pressure on the opposition. I've played some games on shoddy and the team has performed pretty well, but I can't tell if it is due to my team being good or bad opponents. Anyways, here it is.

After testing I've changed the team considerably so I'm just going to change it to the up to date version.
*Please read the descriptions after each pokemon because many of the things I need advice on have been outlined there.*

Aerodactyl w/ focus sash
pressure
jolley
4 hp/252 atk/252 spe
-taunt
-stealth rock
-rock slide
-earthquake

So I switched from Infernape to this as a lead and I am 100% sure it was the right call. It completely stops opposing stealth rock set ups (unless they are using the 180 spe Deoxys), which greatly helps my cause and is great for my CB Mence. It still outdoes Bronzong leads and I think it beats Jolteon leads which is good because I recently found out my team is weak to Jolteon. Most importantly though, it is much better against Gengar leads as it allows me to always set up stealth rock and then I can still revenge kill the Gengar with Weavile. It is also good against that Yanmega thing. It is worse than Infernape against Deoxys leads and other Aerodactyl leads, but overall I think Aerodactyl is a much better lead for my team

Salamence
w/ choice band
intimidate
adamant
4 hp/252 atk/252 spe
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

I have had Mence with this set on my team from the beginning and I kept it because it has been very effective in my testing. I can often switch it in on certain bulky pokemon and walls and they will opt to stay and fight not expecting to get hit nearly as hard as this Mence is capable of hitting. Also, people will often switch in special walls on this and things will get ugly for them. The surprise factor and raw power have proved to be good both in the early and late game. I stopped using him as a lead because he doesn't do anything to stop opposing stealth rock set-ups which cripple him, and he just seems to be much more effective in the later stages of the game. I have recently been thing about switching this to a DD Salamence. I'm not really sure which would be better on my team. DD Salamence has more potential to sweep than the CB version but the CB version has the surprise factor going for him, as well as the benefit of not having to set up. Please tell me what you think about this.

Suicune w/ leftovers
pressure
bold
252 hp/252 def/4 spA
-calm mind
-hidden power electric
-roar
-surf

After dropping Skarmory and Cresselia this is my only wallish pokemon. I think this Suicune is great for me as it kind of combines my Skarmory and Cresselia as well as covers a few threats that I was really weak to. Since my lead is now setting up stealth rock I no longer needed Skarmory to do that and I wanted to change Cresselia to something different to get rid of my 3x dark/ghost/bug weakness and stop Heatran, but I still needed a hazer or else I would be extremely weak to CurseLax. This Suicune set fits that role perfectly as it covers pretty much all the threats Cresselia did as well as stopping Heatran and certain Infernape sets while at the same time being able to haze and threaten to sweep late game like Cresselia did. I have hidden power electric over ice beam because its my only way to stop Gyarados and I can revenge kill dragons with Weavile. My only concerns about this is whether or not I should change it to a sleep-talk Suicune to absorb status at the expense of versatility, or if I should keep it as is and switch another one of my pokemon to a defensive sleep-talker, or if I should just not worry about it.

Weavile
w/ choice band
pressure
jolly
40 hp/252 spA/216 spe
-aerial ace
-brick break
-ice shard
-pursuit

I stayed with the same basic concept for my Weavile but changed the move pool slightly. I dropped night slash for aerial ace because I never used night slash and I needed a way to revenge kill non choice scarf Heracross(I should probably find a way to deal with choice scarf Heracross at some point). I also changed ice punch to ice shard to stop choice scarfed dragons. I think both of those changes are definately for the better. I still love this guy because he revenge kills so many threats that my team is weak to. Sometimes I worry that I might be relying on this guy too much. If someone was able to take this guy out of the picture early there are so many big threats I would have no way of stopping. Also, I've been think I might need to take the ev's out of hp and max out speed. One of my matches came down to me and my opponent both only having our Weaviles left and I lost because his Weavile had max speed ev's. If someone could give me a good reason to justify the hp ev's I would have no problem keeping them, but if there isn't a good reason I might max out speed to avoid another one of those situations.

Azelf w/ life orb
levitate
timid
36 hp/252 spA/220 spe
-flamethrower
-grass knot
-nasty plot
-psychic

I still don't have much to say about this one. I'm still using it partly because its my favorite pokemon, but at least now that my prediction skills are improving I am getting some good use out of it. I've been able to sweep a few teams by predicting well and getting a nasty plot off. With his high spA and flamethrower he can scare off steal types, which has actually been useful on a couple occasions. If anyone has any suggestions for a better way to utilize an Azelf on my team I would really like to hear them. I really want to keep using him, but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is.

Gengar w/ life orb
levitate
timid
4 hp/252 spA/252
-focus blast
-hypnosis
-shadow ball
-thunderbolt

I'm still using Gengar because I don't know what else to use and he has good coverage and raw power. I still don't really know if its a good fit or not. It seems like it is very similar to Weavile in terms of its role, so maybe I would be better off with something else, or maybe its a great fit and I just don't know it. I have considered either switching it to the Deoxys with 180 spe or to another wallish pokemon. Deoxys seems like it could be a much better late game sweeper on my team as well as being able to stop me from getting hosed by random choice scarfers. Another wall could help me counter some of the threats I'm weak to and give my team some more versatility.

The following are some weaknesses I have noticed:
Gengar with choice scarf - A choice scarf Gengar with the right moves could completely destroy my team.
Heracross with choice scarf - If my Salamence dies this could be trouble.
Jolteon - I played against a Jolteon that gave my team fits.
DD Gyarados - I got completely wrecked by one of these. That is why I gave my Suicune hidden power electric, but I'm not sure if that is enough.
Zapdos - I'm not really sure about this one. I don't know if my team is actually weak to this guy, or if I just don't know what to do against it.
Deoxys - I think this guy might be big trouble for me.

So, there it is. I would really appreciate any and all advice on any aspect of my team. Please read the descriptions after each pokemon because many of the things I need advice on have been outlined there.

lead CB mence is not the best move. Something like Gengar comes in, puts you to sleep... not good. A lead I have recently been experimenting with, and has been working well has been Yanmega. Truly, after a speed boost it outruns almost anything and hypnosis is great for it The type coverage is also decent, but with any pokemon it does have it's flaws... Bliss, Gliscor, Skarm fuck it up.

Skarm looks good, but why 4 spe? Put it in attack.
Surf on Cress? NO!!! There are way better options, psychic being an oldie but a goodie. It provides a useful STAB as well as coverage for occasional Poison and Fighting foes.
Weavile loves Ice shard, especially against other priority users. Replace either Night Slash or Pursuit for it. Azelf and Gengar are fine. Consider using Gengar as your lead over Yanmega if you'd like, as it's very viable.

You do have 3 Dark/Ghost weaks... look out for that.

I was thinking about leading Gengar. If I changed Gengar to lead would my Salamence still be a good fit on the team? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't, but I might as well ask and be sure. Also, would a lead Gengar need to be set up any different than the set-up I use. The surf on Cresselia was a mistake. I actually have psychic in that slot like you suggested. I'm not really sure why I put surf down. As far as my 3x ghost/dark weakness, is that a big problem and if so who do you think should be cut and what are some possible replacements?

Well, Gengar could become an issue if it can get a sub up. Azelf hasno real place on your team, so switching it with a Heatran would be a welcome change. It fits in quite well actually.

Gengar leads are pretty standard.
Either Hypnosis, or Shadow Ball on Azelfs and Deoxys. Then Sub up if you can and sweep.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
*what* is wrong with having Mence as a lead? It loses to Gengar? That is a piss poor reasoning. Specsmence is actually a very good lead despite the fact that it has a 70% chance of getting slept by Gengar considering it beats Metagross, Gyarados, Bronzong, non Scarf Heatran, Infernape, Swampert, and of course the LeadTar set that never really took off.

But anyway I really recommend you use Specsmence as your lead if you choose to lead with it considering CBMence is not much of a threat anymore - things are just over prepared for physical attacks.

But of course, Tyranitar has a field day with your team, if it gets a Dragon Dance or if it's scarfed. I really recommend you run something that can stop TTar like a Restalking Swampert - I would throw that over Azelf considering Azelfs are pretty useless now considering the popularity of Heatrans, except to of course as a suicide lead. Swampert can hold the rest of your defenses together along with Cress and Skarmory. This way you also have a status absorber.

Magnezone isn't common at all actually, so there is really no point to it. Neither are Probopass or Magneton. It is just a waste of an item slot.

Other than this, I would actually recommend Machamp over Swampert, as from experience, it works very very well. It counters your massive Weavile weak, and your TTar like Swampert, but the confusion helps a lot in the long run, and so can Stone Edge/Ice Punch. I would recommend the spread of 188 HP, 96 Atk, 216 Def, 8 Spe, Impish natured, with the move set of DynamicePunch, Stone Edge, ResTalk. Ice Punch can also be used over the Stone Edge if preferred. Machamp can also status absorb as well, and can add more offense while still maintaining that defensive core, and can add to the synergy, while taking all Ice-type attacks thrown at Salamence and 2HKO/OHKO most Pokemon that will be throwing them around, and with Suicune being your Special Wall, it can take any physical attacks that may be thrown at it, using Salamence's Intimidate ability as well, to a certain extent. Salamence and Machamp can utterly defeat Lucario, Heracross, and much more, while Machamp can also take most physical attacks thrown at Suicune if it can't fend them off.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Other than this, I would actually recommend Machamp over Swampert, as from experience, it works very very well. It counters your massive Weavile weak,
"Swampert also beats Weavile"

but the confusion helps a lot in the long run, and so can Stone Edge/Ice Punch.
"it doesn't have the potential to sweep like Cursepert"

. Machamp can also status absorb as well, and can add more offense while still maintaining that defensive core, and can add to the synergy.
"how does it add to synergy"

Be more detailed in your rates - anyone can throw in bullshit about "how it adds synergy" after every line but without details it is just bullshit. If
there is a reason to "convince" anyone to run Machamp over Swampert this isn't the reason -_-

I would take out something for Metagross. Because it blocks both Deoxys-E and Gengar and it kills both with Pursuit if they switch. If they do not it still does enough amount of damage. You can also use something else over Pursuit but i find Pursuit pwning :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)