Project OU Player Interview #6: suapah

Poorly Hosted by TPP and curiosity
Welcome back to OU Player Interviews! I know we've been a little inconsistent lately but we're back for real this time. This should be pretty simple: we talk to some of the tier's biggest names to try learn a little more about them. Since TPP and I missed a few big months, we decided to go back and interview some people who really deserved the spotlight. That bring us to today, obviously you've read the title so here's:

suapah

Favourite Pokemon (overall):

Favourite Pokemon (design):

Most used Pokemon:

-
Most known for: being the current OUTL, winner of the Smogon Charity Bowl, two time winner of Snake

hey man, how are you?

I'm doing well, thank you for asking

no worries
you mind telling us a bit about yourself?

Most people know me as suapah on smogon but my IRL name is Eric (either works fine with me). I'm a 20 year old premed student studying in the US. Whenever I'm not studying, I enjoy playing Pokemon Go, hanging out with friends, watching anime, or playing some sports.

ooo pre med that’s p cool
if you don’t mind me asking, what are you looking to get into in the future?

Specifically, I haven't decided that quite yet but I have general ideas of what I want to do. I've always enjoyed engaging and interacting with children, so a pediatrician was always something that I thought about. Alternatively, I've been working in a neuroscience-based lab for the past 2.5 years so perhaps a future involving that is also a possibility. I'm still young, so want to keep my options open

that’s fair play
ig as an extension of that, how’s the whole covid scenario been for you?

Well, I think just like everyone else, it's been tough. I think there's a lot of experiences and things I've missed out on because of the pandemic. I'm glad that things are improving slowly though and I'm looking forward to a normal future again

yeah hopefully everything goes back to normal by the end of the year hey
while we're on the topic of experiences - i know i'm really late to this, but you were made tl a couple months back, how's that been so far?
surely must've been a great feeling right

For sure, it's always a great feeling to be chosen to represent the tier and while there have been some small bumps along the way, I think it's been a nice experience so far
Being a TL in SS is a bit different than previous generations because of all of the DLCs and what not, but I've definitely been trying to listen to both overall community feedback and moving forward in a way that I think benefits the tier overall
I think the introduction of the Tiering Surveys that we send out every once in a while are the best way the community can voice their opinions and for the OU council to understand where they stand with certain issues
And of course, my position as OUTL is also made smooth due to the help and contributions I get from all of the council members (especially Finch which should be no surprised to anyone)

that's great to hear
i should absolutely thank you and the council for all the work you've done this gen
now i know you guys are currently discussing stuff like zama and an ace retest, how do you feel about that?

Appreciate it! As for the retests, we recently sent out the OU survey sometime last week. The OU survey results should actually come out sometime soon which will show how the overall community felt about it. While we as a council still need to discuss more about how we want to approach certain things, what I can say is that the community should expect our actions to reflect similarly to what they expressed in the surveys

surely you've got some of your own thoughts on it tho
like do you think that we'd see zama or ace back in the tier anytime soon

Sure, I'll say I've always been pro retesting and always feel that it never hurts to retest mons provided the meta is relatively stable. As both Zama and Ace, I would say the community should expect a suspect for one of them relatively soon. I think both could be interesting additions to the meta and I'm especially curious to see how a mon like Zama would fare in OU

yeah should be pretty exciting hey
now we've got wcop starting up this week, you still planning on playing?

It was my intention to but I'll have to see. I'm technically eligible for two teams (US South and Canada). The thing is I'm waiting on whether or not certain people from both teams will sign up. Whether or not those certain people do sign up will dictate my interest in playing for those teams. But yea, as of now I do plan on playing although I may not have time to play the qualifier portion of WCOP

oo you're on south now?
that's p cool
but yeah that seems fair enough
as another follow-up: what direction do you feel like the meta will be taking over the next couple of weeks?
like surely you've got your eye on a p underrated mon that'll shoot up or vice versa

I think it's a bit hard to answer that question as the intention is to have a retest sometime soon. And whether it is Zama or Ace, the introduction of the mon will inevitably shake up the meta

fingers crossed hey
now i want to bring up the current meta since i haven't had the chance to bring it up yet
but how do you feel about it atm?
you have any preferences / mons / etc. you'd like to share w/ people?

I think the meta is in a pretty balance state right now but it definitely can feel a bit stale at times considering how good balance is. So a lot of the times, we get these long games where the progress can be slow.
As for underrated mons, I love all variants of Scizor a lot and think it's fantastic. Of course Weavile and Bisharp are super good right now but I wouldn't consider them underrated. Another "underrated" mon I like is Safeguard Volc, especially with the prevalence of Flame Body Heatran. Talah had an excellent showcase of how deadly that set can be vs a lot of standard balances in SPL tiebreak

dude that game was so fire LOL
but yeah, those are p cool mons
now did you happen to have a team you wanted to share with us, maybe with one of these mons?

LMAO well this would be bad timing but I recently cleared my cache and wiped out my teams on my laptop

LOL

So the answer to that would be uhhh no

that's a little unfort
ah that's alright tho
ig there's only a few more things to ask so we can speedrun this
first up: any shoutouts?

sure, def wanna s/o the ou council for everything they do and all my friends in lab

sweet
second: do you have anything to say to the people reading this?

I appreciate for reading the entirety of my interview and that as OUTL, I'll definitely do my best to lead OU. Of course, if anyone has any questions or concerns about anything, my Smogon PMs are always open

nice
ok so some quick fun stuff:
if you could nuke anyone from this site, who would it be and why?

talah (watches beastars)

LOL
if you eat steak, how do you like it cooked?

Medium rare for sure

goat
and finally, what do you think your most painful pogo experience has been so far?
and why was it grinding for 400+ altaria candies

LMAO
Well I play a lot so altaria candies are no problem and my most painful experience is probably a reference most people won't get unless they actively play

lemme guess
12 km eggs?

But it's definitely getting dodged in GBL and then waiting forever in queue times

LOL
i know the feeling (tpp edit: no you don't noob)
anyways this should be everything, thank you very much for the time

Of course, I appreciate you for having me

----​

Big thanks to suapah for letting me interview him. As always, feel free to drop a few questions if you're really interested. Make sure to stick around: we've got another interview coming up pretty shortly.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
1. What is your all time favorite team you have used in a game and why?

2. McDonalds or Burger King? (very important question)

3. Favorite colors?

4. What are your favorite anime you've been watching so far?

5. Tea or Coffee?

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Which anime character do you relate to the most? I know you have one.

What's your third favorite sport?

If you had to take anybody on Smogon out to see a movie, who would it be and why, which movie would you watch and why, and why did you pick this specific combo?

Can you tell my favorite part of these interviews is being able to make my friends sit down and answer whatever questions I have for them?

How many digits of Stardust do you expect me to have at any given moment?

What's one quote you live by? Why that specific one?

If you had to select an anime character to represent honchkrow, who would do a better job than Brock from Pokemon?

Have you played Airship yet? What are your impressions on it, if so/what's holding you back from playing it?

What do you aspire to do with your career in life?

What are your life goals?

What's one thing you didn't do before quarantine that you want to do after this all blows over?

Similarly, what's one thing you did do before quarantine that you don't want to do after all this blows over?

What's your best memory of playing Pokemon?

Are you tired of answering questions yet?

What's something you struggle to accept in life?

What made you decide to be a dirty XL user instead of taking the high ground and struggling through the trenches?

Everyone's had their own lessons learned, some tougher to learn than others. What's a lesson you've learned in life that you'd like to share with everyone?

Are you satisfied with where you are at this point in time?

Do you believe in karma?

If you could change one thing about the current education system, what would it be and why?

What's one change you'd like to see in the world? Doesn't have to be within the realm of reasonability, feel free to ask for everyone to get along or something.

Does your outfit reflect you as a person?

What're some red flags you see in other people that turn you away from being friends with them?

What's your favorite song right now?

What's your favorite song of all time?

If you could make TPP transfer any of his Pokemon right now, which one would it be? Even if you can't transfer it because the game stops you, let's assume for the sake of this question that you can.

Favorite season?

Do you like the rain?

Last question: You have a new account, 1 million Stardust to spend, infinite rare candies, infinite Elite TMs and you can spawn in any lucky version of a Pokemon at Level 20. You're required to hit Legend. What Pokemon do you build for what leagues and why do you select those specific Pokemon?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If you can fix Dynamax to balance it for singles, what would you do?

If you can delete any Pokemon from the game, who is it and why is it Bastiodon?

How do you feel about the state of XLs currently?

Name a balance change you want for GBL.

Who would look best riding on a Honchkrow?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
What kind of research are you doing in the lab? I worked in a neuroscience lab focused on fear and memory for a while and enjoyed most of it.

Favorite tournament on here?

Who is down bad the most between me, FV, tennis, chem and Volk?

Worst person when it comes to raids aside from FV, Kingler and Phil's Ferrothorn?

Who malds the hardest?

Favorite mon to use in GBL?

Thank you for the following advice from when FV and I were malding about GBL

Thanks again for doing this and have a nice day

What is your favorite memory from any teamtour you participated in?

What is your favorite OU tier?

Which battle that you played do you think was (one of) your best played of all your matches?

---

Highest priority wish on waifu bot (besides Mai)?

Who is the most gleeful, shadowy character that you can think of?

What do you think is the best way to establish a central conflict, watching beastars, brioche bread (sandwich was made with it), :godsumichan:, or Great to see Mana having such an insane classic with how dedicated he has been to it, looking forward to seeing how both ends of the bracket shake out?

suapah

stfu anime pfp
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
What is your favourite team?

SM team but still applicable. Explanation about this team can be found here

Favorite pre-Fairy generation of OU?
Variance tier

Do u use tangroth :v4:
On the occasion in SM! Not rlly as much in SS
I straight up forgot to ask this but:

Ishigami: best girl yn
Yes
How does it feel being a tier A dodger?
No

1. What is your all time favorite team you have used in a game and why?

2. McDonalds or Burger King? (very important question)

3. Favorite colors?

4. What are your favorite anime you've been watching so far?

5. Tea or Coffee?
1. ^^ Check first answer of this post
2. McDonalds (I don't eat BK ever)
3. Black and Red
4. Steins gate, your lie in april, kaguya sama, madoka magica
5. Tea only person

Which anime character do you relate to the most? I know you have one.

What's your third favorite sport?

If you had to take anybody on Smogon out to see a movie, who would it be and why, which movie would you watch and why, and why did you pick this specific combo?

Can you tell my favorite part of these interviews is being able to make my friends sit down and answer whatever questions I have for them?

How many digits of Stardust do you expect me to have at any given moment?

What's one quote you live by? Why that specific one?

If you had to select an anime character to represent honchkrow, who would do a better job than Brock from Pokemon?

Have you played Airship yet? What are your impressions on it, if so/what's holding you back from playing it?

What do you aspire to do with your career in life?

What are your life goals?

What's one thing you didn't do before quarantine that you want to do after this all blows over?

Similarly, what's one thing you did do before quarantine that you don't want to do after all this blows over?

What's your best memory of playing Pokemon?

Are you tired of answering questions yet?

What's something you struggle to accept in life?

What made you decide to be a dirty XL user instead of taking the high ground and struggling through the trenches?

Everyone's had their own lessons learned, some tougher to learn than others. What's a lesson you've learned in life that you'd like to share with everyone?

Are you satisfied with where you are at this point in time?

Do you believe in karma?

If you could change one thing about the current education system, what would it be and why?

What's one change you'd like to see in the world? Doesn't have to be within the realm of reasonability, feel free to ask for everyone to get along or something.

Does your outfit reflect you as a person?

What're some red flags you see in other people that turn you away from being friends with them?

What's your favorite song right now?

What's your favorite song of all time?

If you could make TPP transfer any of his Pokemon right now, which one would it be? Even if you can't transfer it because the game stops you, let's assume for the sake of this question that you can.

Favorite season?

Do you like the rain?

Last question: You have a new account, 1 million Stardust to spend, infinite rare candies, infinite Elite TMs and you can spawn in any lucky version of a Pokemon at Level 20. You're required to hit Legend. What Pokemon do you build for what leagues and why do you select those specific Pokemon?
1. Phosphophyllite
2. Hockey
3. Hayburner - Violet Evergarden, only one who could appreciate violet as much as me
4. Yes
5. sub 6 digits
6. just don't mald
7. tennis is def brock
8. havent played
9. hope to educate and make a positive impact on peoples lives
10. to know i can make a difference in a persons daily life
11. anime con
12. social distancing
13. winning snake
14. yes
15. the fact that i still have a reputation as a dodger
16. adapt or drown
17/. ^^
18. never satisfied, always looking to improve
19. kinda
20. more accessible education to all
21. id like to see everyone thrive
22. kinda
23. never asking about me
24. renai circulation
25. reminder - the weeknd
26. i would never transfer TPPs pokemon
27. summer
28. eh florida rain sucks
29. azu sab basti (all xls) // gfisk jelli a9 // dont play ML!

If you can fix Dynamax to balance it for singles, what would you do?

If you can delete any Pokemon from the game, who is it and why is it Bastiodon?

How do you feel about the state of XLs currently?

Name a balance change you want for GBL.

Who would look best riding on a Honchkrow?
1. Removing the secondary effects of dyna + requiring an item could potentially balance them out but they still may be a more broken version of Z-moves
2. Sock or lose
3. WB damage nerf, rock slide damage nerf, potentially slightly lower mud shot energy gain
4. Bopper (is a legend in S7)

What kind of research are you doing in the lab? I worked in a neuroscience lab focused on fear and memory for a while and enjoyed most of it.

Favorite tournament on here?

Who is down bad the most between me, FV, tennis, chem and Volk?

Worst person when it comes to raids aside from FV, Kingler and Phil's Ferrothorn?

Who malds the hardest?

Favorite mon to use in GBL?

Thank you for the following advice from when FV and I were malding about GBL

Thanks again for doing this and have a nice day
1. A lot of my research focuses on mechanisms of neurodegeneration in neurodegenerative diseases such as AD/PD etc.
2. SPL
3. Tennis
4. Kingler
5. Tennis
6. Froslass

What is your favorite memory from any teamtour you participated in?

What is your favorite OU tier?

Which battle that you played do you think was (one of) your best played of all your matches?

---

Highest priority wish on waifu bot (besides Mai)?

Who is the most gleeful, shadowy character that you can think of?

What do you think is the best way to establish a central conflict, watching beastars, brioche bread (sandwich was made with it), :godsumichan:, or Great to see Mana having such an insane classic with how dedicated he has been to it, looking forward to seeing how both ends of the bracket shake out?
1. Gold Mr. _
2. SM
3. Me vs Quaze back in WCOP 2018 or smth where I had to climb from way back is def one
4. Kurisu
5. Betelgeuse
5. clement theres no way u were like "damn bro i got some spare time in my day, lemme play' ... checks notes.... Nino, Mary, Chitoge, Mayiru, Isuzu, Yuri Nakamura, Schnoz, Hinata Kawamoto, Akari Kawamoto --- ToG: Endorsi (always off limits for trading), Khun Maschenny Zahard (fire af and will go way up in value), Yeon Yihwa, Garam Zahard, Ha Yura Dowon, Khun Maria Zahard, Evankhell (you would have literally every single ToG waifu and all the best ones) --- Nagi no Asu Kara: Chisaki, Akari, and Miuna (complete collection) --- My high ranked waifus: Asuna (#6, wanted by several people), Rin, Yuno, Krista (big trades w Roro), Illya, Tomoe Koga (wanted by some ppl), Lisa Lisa, Reimi Sugimoto, Irisviel, Amadeus (to make up for Kurisu), Najenda (wanted by some ppl), Erina Pendleton ---
:repeat:
Senko, Mavis, Rin, Tsubaki Sawabe (can trade some to DBC) --- Altina Wish: Shiki Ryougi (Origin) --- Two great FMA(B) waifus for after you watch the show: Trisha Elric, Olivier Mira Armstrong --- Kakera: Will give you 25k kakera which is like the absolute max I can give.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop
don't eat them so hard to say

suapah

stfu anime pfp
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Tinder passport is finally back.. When swiping stream feat. Luthier & Sjneider? :heart:
when the snerk is revived :pirate:

Why do people use flame body heat ran if it loses to volcarona?

Speaking of volcarona thoughts on it being OP
punishing greedy lando uturns, helps deter certain mons from clicking their moves freely such as weav triple axel, rilla glide etc
i think volc is far from OP. i think there are enough sufficient counterplay in the meta such that volc isnt extremely restrictive. volc also does require usually some team support around it

thoughts on boots in SS OU?

whats your favorite tournament game you've ever watched?
i think boots are an amazing item and definitely warps the way we play SS. entry hazards have been a core part of gameplay in previous generations and boots warps how we play around it. i personally think that boots is interesting in the fact that it enhances or gives viability to mons that would otherwise not have viability. i see two sides to boots. one is that it helps alleviate hazard pressure that has always been so strong in previous generations. i rmbr in sm/oras/bw and always complaining about how tough it is to control the hazard game considering the few number of viable removers. boots offered an interesting fix to that. on the other hand, some SS games can be extremely drawn out due to the inability to make any passive progress. i think boots is a bit of a double edged sword but i do enjoy the aspect of having it in the meta

as for my fav tournament games, i love watching games that stretch the boundaries of the meta. the one game i always point to is ben gay vs. abr back in wcop way back then. this is one of the first wcop games i watched and ben gays creativity always struck a chord with me

i see two sides to boots. one is that it helps alleviate hazard pressure that has always been so strong in previous generations. i rmbr in sm/oras/bw and always complaining about how tough it is to control the hazard game considering the few number of viable removers. boots offered an interesting fix to that. on the other hand, some SS games can be extremely drawn out due to the inability to make any passive progress. i think boots is a bit of a double edged sword but i do enjoy the aspect of having it in the meta
Do you think boots clause could be a good solution/change?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)