Other OU Player of the Week #23: Mencemeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project
where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it!

mencemeat
Most Known For:
Constantly seducing the cherished girlfriend of Afro Smash and, well, making her day.

Favorite Pokemon:
Chanse..Salamence.

Most used Pokemon:

Stamie? Yeah idk.

Where did you get your name from? It was pretty arbitrary at first, but then came a team with a Salamence which claimed the lives of several NeckethBeards, after which I'd type, "You're Mencemeat." And Mencemeat was born.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I discovered a random pokemon battle on youtube by "TheKillerNacho" in 2011, then realized "sdhfnmsm this exists?!!?". From there I went and found random pokemon chats, asserted dominance, got blown away - repeat this process - until I was molded in the pokemon master I am today.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?

Well, XY had horrendous periods, the mawile, greninja, thunderus, bisharp, breloom, landerus-I era. However, late XY was a good meta. Things like Mega Medicham, Mega Herracross were threats, not so much now. With ORAS, I think, there is a lot more room for creativity than people realize.

What are your thoughts on the outcome of the Metagross suspect test? Is there anything else you feel is suspect worthy?

I'm indifferent to it. I have never had an issue with it after I've used so many different teams, and team styles. I think it's overrated, but what do I know. Perhaps some element of luck with match-ups and my opponents skill level played a role in my beliefs, perhaps not.I suppose one can argue just about any aspect of pokemon with that premise.

What’s your favorite playstyle and why?
Stall. Probably balance with a tad bit of offense. I oscillate between every style bar stall, but balance caters to my biases to team building a bit more. Hint, Hint Spikes.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
Definitely 6th gen, equally so with ORAS and XY. BW1 was also a tier I enjoyed, but I stopped playing a lot of Ou in Bw2. the reason is simple. I don't enjoy the others.

Favorite and lease favorite moments of SPL?
Can't say I had a favorite moment, but definitely my least favorite was my first loss. I let my teams down that week because I didn't prepare and used a last minute team. It was an unpleasant feeling.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?
I don't haha

Favorite to win OST and why?
BLUNDERR!!!

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?Nothing really. I like it as is.

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
Mmm OOWEE. For newer players I'd say check out youtube.com/Mrjamvad. As far as smogon goes, don't use the option of the masses to determine your worth as a player, conversely don't be delusional about your skill level. Simply prove yourself to yourself, and others if you so choose. People's own egos may block their eye sight.The waters of D Nile runs rampant through this trench we call smogon. There are also cool people. Huehue see what I did there.

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
It's Poifeckt.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

I don't know about look up to, but I'm friends with most people too many to mention.

Finally, can you provide us a team that’s a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Sigh.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Heal Block

Altaria (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rotom (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 224 HP / 232 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This was a team I took from Le Idm forums and adjusted with spikes. I like that Shizz.. But yeah, this team requires aggression. I like that Shizz.Mega Altaria is amazing. I would put a team I built, but I don't have them currently.

---

So there it is. If you have any questions for Jamvad, leave em down below. Id like to thank him for doing this, and ill see yall next week!

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Jamvad how do you come up with titles?
When are you going to retire?
Why does Afro Smash have multiple bitches?
Why don't you have any?
Do you think Mega Audino or Mega Banette is better?
Favorite to win Smogon Classic? Smogon Tour?

Whos ur favorite to win Smogon Classiest?
Who do u think will win Smogon Tour?
What do u think about the Giratina-O Suspect?

Huge fan of ur videos btw. Keep the great work up!

Last edited:
Jamvad how do you come up with titles?
When are you going to retire?
Why does Afro Smash have multiple bitches?
Why don't you have any?
Do you think Mega Audino or Mega Banette is better?
Favorite to win Smogon Classic? Smogon Tour?
Jamvad how do you come up with titles? They usually come to me after deep mediation.

When are you going to retire? Next Week

Why does Afro Smash have multiple bitches? LOOLOLOLOL

Why don't you have any? No SWAG

Do you think Mega Audino or Mega Banette is better? Audino OFC Banette is Horrendous. To Nu with yah!

Favorite to win Smogon Classic? Smogon Tour? Mah girl Bloo claims she's going to do this once and for all, so her.

Whos ur favorite to win Smogon Classiest?
Who do u think will win Smogon Tour?

Huge fan of ur videos btw. Keep the great work up!
Whos ur favorite to win Smogon Classiest? BLUNDER no doubt

Who do u think will win Smogon Tour? Bloo

I don't see why not. People get too comfortable and overreact too easily, I think. It's strong, a lot is. It's typing leaves it open to arguably the three most common types in OU Dark, Fairy, and Dragon. It's slow and lacks recovery. A new defogger and a bulkier spin blocker will give versatility to the meta. One gen mew was uber the next gen it was uu. I like it!

You are the laziest nigga i swear. How does it feel knowing that whenever i hop into a live with you, whether my channel or yours, i completely outshine you in every way humanly possible? It's not that you try to make me look good, it's just the difference in our skill level is too much. In all seriousness, what do you feel about smogons playerbase and the whole "elitist" tournament side and how can that "problem" be fixed so we don't turn people off from the competitive side of mons?

Also how does foxhero find us holy crap
Your Pokemon "skills" are abysmal, but all jokes aside. I think it's simple. Explain rather than bash. Whether good or bad, one can explain why a statement, play or whatever may be in-optimal, rather than post "you're absolute cancer", "that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard", "."; that gets us nowhere and intimidates those who are new and seek approval. We were all "naive" at one point. If they chose not to listen well, only experience will teach, and/or Mrjamvad. With regards to tournaments, I don't think anything can be done about the people themselves, but I guess it can be emphasized more to the new players to not depend on the "seal of approval" to signify their worth. Simply perform and without a doubt, you will be noticed.

And foxhero is one of the world wonders.

how does it feel to be picked for this after blunder, and as an incredibly distant afterthought to chimpact as well?
in ur advanced age, have you considered pursuing a career in a more financially gainful field, rather than 'mons?
i recently learned that youtuber: pokeaimmd is not only an average player, but a crude one at that, and i would like to take my viewership elsewhere. what would be ur recommendation (aside from yourself, of course)?

Hey, good to learn a bit about you through an intriguing and comedic interview! I have a few questions I would like to ask:

1.If you could implement any changes to the current "Big" or "Popular" tournaments, what would you make differently or add?
2. What do you think defines a good player, both in battle and outside of battle?
3. Do you believe there is a difference between a highly skilled ladder player and a highly skilled tour player? If so what are the differences?
4. If you could add anything to both Smogon and Pokemon Showdown, what would it be?

damn lol, i discovered competitive pokemon through thekillernacho too, didn't know anyone who watched him haha

1. best underrated/underused mon in OU?
2. any ban/unban you think would improve the metagame?
3. what's your teambuilding process (building around a sweeper, a core, or just have a goal in mind on what you want the team as a whole to accomplish)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)