Project OU Player of the week #42: Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it!

Rumor

Most Known For: being a random

Favorite Pokemon: Furret :3

Most used Pokemon: Either Bisharp, Garchomp or Azumarill.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

hello i'm rumor n_n i'm a 19 year old college sophomore from Utah majoring in broadcast journalism in hopes to be a news anchor.

Where did you get your name from?

Well, originally, my name was Qubae, which derived from Qube + Bae. However, when I wanted to become more involved in the tour scene I decided that a new name was in order. So Valentine directed me to the EU League of Legends player list, and I stumbled upon two names: Swift and Rumor. Both of them I thought were top tier, but Rumor stood out to me the most.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?

Technically I started late Black/White, December 2012, but I came back into the competitive scene October 2014. My dad actually introduced me to pokemon when I was 5, starting in GSC, and ever since then I had all the console games. I started watching Marriland’s competitive DPP videos and since then I was hooked.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?

I miss XY soo much. Aegislash, Greninja, Mawile.. those were my favorite mons to use. ORAS is way too fat for me.

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?

I don’t believe in matchup. I think that any player can win any matchup as long as they play to the best of their ability.

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?

All my friends are talking about a Gothitelle suspect, but I personally don’t see the problem. Probably because I don’t ladder at all, but I’ve never had a problem with Goth; other than that, no.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

Hyper Offense. I legitimately hate fat Pokemon with a passion. Pokemon is supposed to be a fun, fast paced game, which stall/balance makes impossible to have.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?

To watch, It'd have to BW. To play, I’d say either ADV or DPP, both fun, unpredictable tiers.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?

I try not to think about the match until it’s happening, considering I am a very stressful person irl. When it’s happening, I usually listen to A Hero Appears from the Ping Pong Anime or Strobe by DeadMau5 both are very hype songs that get me pumped for games. Yes, it does differ between tournaments, because sometimes I want to have absolute silence when playing, others I need something to keep me on earth, so I can potentially focus harder.

Favorite to win STour?

THUNDER CEBRA is looking fantastic rn, hopefully he won’t burn out in these next few weeks. Other people are looking like VOD COSINE, BKC and North.

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?

Honestly, nothing. I love OU and almost everything about it. If I could get rid of all the fat Pokemon I would, but alas.

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?

Participate in anything and everything, from tournaments to workshops. The more you get involved, the better player you’ll become.

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?

The toxic community. Everyone is so harsh to one another and it makes me sick. We’re all the same kind of people playing on a video game together, no need to bring other people down.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

Omg the list is so long ;_;

First off, the person I owe pretty much my entire Smogon profile to: Valentine. This guy is my Day 1 and has brought me to where I am now. I can’t thank him enough for everything he’s done. Hopefully one day he finds his imouto.

OU Room Homies: Julian, Clone, Reverb, Blackbloodz, Draeden, bludz, tiffle (he’s dead ;_;), m00ns, nixhex, scott-E, teremiare, pokepals, terrakion, WIZ, 75, Klefkiholder, Gizmo, jpw, Dread, Logic, Nelson

VOD: WEPWNPOKEMON, kratosanti :3, flcl, PDC, OmfuGOD, Afro Smash, Cosine, Bouff, SoulGazer, Tokyo Tom, CASEDVICTORY, blunder, Shake, CTC, TDK, New Breed, Reese Wood

West Homies - I love everyone on west, but of course I was closer to some people rather than others. Get Backer and Jimmy Turtwig, both amazing people and incredible battlers. Undisputed – what a guy oml. One of the easiest people to talk to and one of the greatest old gen players I’ve ever come across. Definitely someone I don’t regret meeting. Finally, dice and rey for giving me the opportunity to show what i can do.

BOF – Max, chimpact, Crestfall, CrushinDefeat, daftmau5, 99, SOMALIA, VOID, Zamrock, ceraa, tom bus rhombus, Alkov, Ary, Nog, Escavailer

POCL – Raymond, Teddeh, Meh, Cicada, H-c, Metalgro$$ =D, The Dude, Vink, xdevo

Misc – Bloo, Oglemi, Mizuhime, IAmGingy, pokeaim, Fireburn!, Mambo, dodmen, Feliburn, trinitrotoluene, Freeroamer, QuoteCS, Omega-Xis14, Antemortem, innovamania, Finchinator, Kingler numbers, North, BKC and finally, THUNDER CEBRA.

For the people i look up to, i'll just go by gens.

ORAS - Cosine, PDC, TDK, Tesung
BW - McMeghan, Ojama, Bloo, M Dragon, Soulwind, Heist
DPP - undisputed, Philip7086, panamaxis, also Heist
ADV - McMeghan, BKC, undisputed
GSC - Lavos, OmfuGOD, Earthworm
RBY - Kratosanti

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

This is my favorite team I’ve ever built. You’ve probably seen it on blunder’s youtube channel, so here it is now. I build this team with trinitrotoluene because we both agreed that froslass was a disgusting mon and we wanted to bring something neat to the competitive scene. It’s an incredibly fun team, with lure abomasnow (that loses to water types lol), specs snow cloak froslass, Endure Garchomp, Lefties Raikou and my personal favorite set: Eball + Hp Fire Latios (or as Valentine calls it, DPS Latios.) It’s an incredibly big bait on Lati’s part, because it lures out Azu, Hippo, Manaphy and Suicune, so you click E-Ball. However, they’ll usually go into a steel type after this, considering most Latios’ have Dual Stab + Filler coverage move. But then they get surprised when they go into their Skarmory/Ferrothorn/Scizor w/ an HP Fire, leaving them dumbfounded.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Atk / 176 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Endure

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Trick

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

---

rumor sux. leave any questions you have for him below

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
WTF rumor before me im killing myself

free gene yn
will sparkybottt ever stop warning and muting me
ban STAG yn
favourite shitmon to use in ou
whats your thoughts on dangerous pokemon such as sd skarmory, beartic (a well played one, mind you) and fury cutter venusaur

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
How did valentine teach you to deal with your emotions?

explain this quote:

<Rumor_> the girl i lost my virginity to threatened to kill herself if i didnt fuck her

Last edited:
Which do you think would be worse:

You only get to use stall teams OR you only get to play against stall teams.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Thoughts on this set.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Memento
- Defog

Rumor

when bae sees your sketchers light up
WTF rumor before me im killing myself

free gene yn
will sparkybottt ever stop warning and muting me
ban STAG yn
favourite shitmon to use in ou
whats your thoughts on dangerous pokemon such as sd skarmory, beartic (a well played one, mind you) and fury cutter venusaur
1. YES FREE GENE MY FAVORITE BUG THING
2. prolly not cuz u r top tier bad user haha
3. n. i dont think its broken sry :s
4. FROSLASS
5. all very big threats. idk why smogon hasn't banned yet tbh :s

whats your favorite cereal
Captain Crunch =D

How did you manage to sleep through the only WCOP game you got subbed in for
i was tired :( i had just gotten off of an 8 hour shift and passed out

what's 9+10
21 :ssssssss

would u give me a kiss
only the biggest and wettest :3

=========

not alot of time rn, will answer rest of questions later

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
How the fuck did you get POWT before me???? -Clone- we need to talk...

Thanks for the shoutout tho.

Are you enjoying POCL? Favorite moment from the OU room? WHo is the best AND worst staff in OU room atm? You gonna try to make OLT?

Cicada

soul reaver
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
  • Are you black and armless
  • Name your 3 favorite bodies of water
  • Thoughts on user:H-C
  • Do you think we can still win POCL
  • "<Rumor_> the girl i lost my virginity to threatened to kill herself if i didnt fuck her" was it good?

Last edited:
How do you feel about the fact that your only redeeming quality is that you have a fine taste in women, as is evident in your Smogon avatar?

Ashe forever.

Rumor

when bae sees your sketchers light up
Can we dedicate a day to just calling you Swift in hopes that you get confused?
go for it :3

How did valentine teach you to deal with your emotions?
he said 'grab a cup of water. dont get mad lolz'

explain this quote:

<Rumor_> the girl i lost my virginity to threatened to kill herself if i didnt fuck her
whats there to explain lol.. she was crazy lmao. i was just tryna save a life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which do you think would be worse:

You only get to use stall teams OR you only get to play against stall teams.
I would rather only use stall. that way i'm the one inflicting the pain >=D

when will you stop bragging about not gettin last in tag
when omfuga stops bragging about getting 'dank snipes'

i have a question:

why are you featured here - cuz im good xd
ur bad - not a question but ok :[
xd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)