[OU RMT] Aspiring Legend

Introduction

Hi there. I'm khz and relatively new to competitive battling. After trying out various teams I've settled on this one that I quite like, having reached a CRE of 1200 on Shoddy. However I'd still like to improve and therefore I am posting this team for analysis and improvement.

Team Building Process

When building this team I wanted to include a physical sweeping Celebi. Very rarely have I seen one and after using it on an older team I was amazed at its ability to set up and sweep through unprepared teams. It just seems that no one suspect him of being able to pull off a sweep.

Unfortunately Celebi is near useless against the most common Pokemon in the metagame, Scizor. Therefore I needed a counter for him. It came down to Heatran and Rotom-H but in the end I went for the appliance due to his ability to spin block.

Whilst these two could hold their own defensively, they still came up short against some of the stronger attackers. Therefore I decided I needed at least two defensive Pokemon, with the ability to phaze and heal status between them. Thus I decided on Blissey for special walling and Suicune to not only shuffle the opposition's team but also deal with Salamence and Heatran, among others.

With the core of the team done, I decided to choose a lead. In my short battling career Aerodactyl has become my favourite by far, being able to set up Stealth Rock and sometimes deal significant damage.

Finally to round off the team I needed a revenge killer to pick off weakened foes. Scizor was an obvious choice and also had the advantage of being able to cover some of the team's weaknesses.

In Depth Analysis

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Aerodactyl is so far my favourite lead. He is able to set up Stealth Rock most of the time and usually gets at least one hit in before he dies. This is the standard lead spread with max speed to outrun almost everything and tie with other Aerodactyls. Focus Sash means that he will always get one move in and Stone Edge and Earthquake allows him to cause some damage.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Zen Headbutt

My mid to late game sweeper. The moveset contains two STAB's with decent coverage, Swords Dance to power up and Recover to restore HP after Life Orb recoil. Maxed attack is obvious, and the speed EVs allow her to outrun neutral speed natured Gengar. The other EVs are put in HP for slight bulk.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Overheat
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball

This is a standard defensive Rotom-H set. The speed investment allows it to outrun max speed Adamant Scizor and OHKO it with Overheat. Discharge with the paralysis rate is helpful, and Shadow Ball is the second STAB. Will-o-Wisp rounds off the set with the ability to cripple physical sweepers.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor acts as a cleaner in my team. He can come in and hit hard with Bullet Punch to pick off frail sweepers, scare off Blissey whilst switching with U-turn and chase down leavers with Pursuit. Superpower allows him to OHKO Tyranitar and dent Magnezone.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Roar
- Rest

Suicune is a key member of this team, able to deal damage with Surf or Ice Beam, shuffle around the opponent's team with Roar and then Rest off the damage. I originally ran Calm Mind over Rest but changed it after I found a lack of opportunitites to set up a sweep.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP/252 Def/232 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss

Blissey's main role is to cure status, pass around paralysis and wear down the enemy with Seismic Toss. The EV setup is from the Cleric set found in the Shoddy box and I have found it more efficient than other EV setups. The move set is fairly standard: Aromatherapy to cure status, Softboiled to heal, Thunder Wave to spread paralysis and Seismic Toss to wear down opponents. I chose Seismic Toss over the other attacking options because it allows Blissey to hit with consistent damage against everything but ghosts, who Scizor can Bullet Punch or chase down with Pursuit.

Team Weaknesses

So far my team has experienced the following issues. Any advice on how to deal with them is appreciated.

-Toxic Spikes is a pain since nothing can absorb them and it forces me to switch around alot. Spike has a similar problem but to a lesser extent.

Threat List

Azelf
: Scizor can come in on anything except Flamethrower and OHKO after Stealth Rock damage and one LO recoil.
Blissey: Scizor can come in to scare away Blissey whilst U Turning to a suitable counter.
Breloom: I usually let something weak come into to take the Spore and then proceed to go to Celebi who resists both of Breloom’s STAB and is immune to Leech and in return can deal 90% to Spore Punchers and 50% to SubSeed versions.
Bronzong: Rotom resists Gyro Ball, is immune to Earthquake and Explosion and will always OHKO with Overheat.
Celebi: Scizor can either Pursuit it as it tries to switch or U Turn it.
Dragonite: Suicune can come in and tank almost all of his moves and use Ice Beam to scare him off.
Electivire: Rotom is not afraid of most of Electivire’s standard attacks and can OHKO all the standard variants with Shadow Ball after Stealth Rock damage.
Empoleon: Blissey can come in and wall almost all of Empoleon’s attacks whilst paralysing it and wearing it down with Seismic Toss.
Flygon: Suicune can come in and use Ice Beam to kill it or at the very least hurt it severely.
Forretress: Rotom not only blocks Rapid Spin but also OHKOs it with Overheat.
Gengar: Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch but it can be difficult bringing him in as he is hurt alot by many of Gengar’s attacks. Blissey comes in easier to paralyse him but cannot deal any damage due to the Seismic Toss immunity.
Gliscor: Suicune comes in easily and OHKOs with Ice Beam.
Gyarados: Suicune comes in, takes most of his attacks and then Roars him out. If a bulkier version is running Taunt then Rotom can OHKO him with discharge.
Heatran: Blissey can paralyse Heatrean with Thunder Wave and then wear him down with Seismic Toss. Suicune also takes Fire Blasts and other moves and can either Surf it to death or Roar away Substitute versions.
Hippowdon: Suicune or Celebi can come in and scare it away with Surf or Seed Bomb respectively.
Infernape: Suicune can take almost every move except Grass Knot and KO with Surf. Alternatively Rotom is immune to Close Combat and again deals heavy damage with Discharge or Shadow Ball.
Jirachi: Blissey walls all Special based variants. Same goes for Suicune, who can also Roar it out if it uses Substitute. Flinch hax versions are extremely annoying, although Suicune only needs one turn to Roar it out of play.
Jolteon: Celebi resists Jolteon’s Thunderbolt and even Hidden Power Ice doesn’t hit all that much and in return hits back hard with Zen Headbutt.
Kingdra: Celebi resists STAB Waterfall and often forces Dragon Dance variants into Outrage, which Suicune can tank and either hit him with Ice Beam or Roar him out. Rotom also hits quite hard with Discharge.
Lucario: Rotom is immune to Extremespeed and Close Combat allowing for an easy switch in and then can KO with Overheat. Celebi also does well and hits hard with Zen Headbutt although both counters have to be wary of Crunch.
Machamp: Rotom can come in with his Dynamic Punch immunity and hit back with any of his attacks, however Payback will hurt. Celebi is a good choice as a revenge killer as he can OHKO with Zen Heabutt.
Magnezone: Blissey walls Magnezone, paralyses it with Thunder Wave and can then wear it down with Seismic Toss.
Mamoswine: Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch and shrugs off Ice Shard, the only move that can hit Scizor ahead of Bullet Punch. Earthquake will destroy Scizor though, however finding a way to bring him in is not overly difficult.
Metagross: Rotom takes little from most of Metagross’s attacks and hits back hard with Overheat. He is also immune to Explosion and can come in if a weakened Metagross is about to explode.
Ninjask: Almost all Ninjask’s try to Baton Pass, which is an invitation for Suicune to come in and Roar out any Baton Pass receiver.
Roserade: Blissey can wall Roserade unless it is using a SubSeed strategy, in which case Celebi can come in with its immunity and Zen Headbutt it to death.
Rotom-A: Scizor can OHKO with Pursuit, however it must be careful of Rotom-H and Overheat. This problem is redundant though if Blissey can paralyse it.
Salamence: Suicune can come in and Ice Beam or Roar it out, although this is difficult due to the obscene damage he does, averaging about 70% with Outrage unboosted. MixMence is even harder since Draco Meteor OHKOs Suicune. Apart from Suicune, Rotom has some success with Discharge and Scizor can also Bullet Punch him if he is at about 50%.
Scizor: Rotom resists U Turn and Bullet Punch, is immune to Superpower and can outspeed and OHKO Scizor with Overheat.
Skarmory: Suicune can come in and Ice Beam for the kill whilst taking very little from Brave Bird.
Snorlax: Scizor will OHKO Snorlax with Superpower, even after one Curse.
Starmie: Scizor can come in and Pursuit Starmie, Rotom can not only block Rapid Spin but also hurt it with Discharge and Blissey can wall most offensive variants.
Suicune: Celebi scares Suicune out with Seed Bomb, although it must be careful of Ice Beam. Blissey can also stall out Suicune and slowly wear it down.
Swampert: Celebi can kill Swampert with Seed Bomb like most bulky waters. Rotom also works well with an Earthquake immunity and the ability to burn it to reduce its damage whilst wearing it down with Shadow Ball.
Tentacruel: Celebi can Zen Headbutt Tentacruel for massive damage. Rotom also works well with Dischage and also blocks Rapid Spin.
Togekiss: Much like Jirachi its flinch haxing is very annoying. However Blissey can take its specially based Air Slash and paralyse, making it bait for Suicune to kill with Ice Beam.
Tyranitar: Scizor is one of the best counters against Tyranitar, able to hurt it with Bullet Punch or Superpower. If it comes in when Rotom is in I have to weigh up whether to switch out and take a powerful Pursuit or stay in and use a move. Usually though Rotom will die from Pursuit, so Will-o-Wisp can be used to weaken it.
Umbreon: Scizor can use Superpower to hurt it or U Turn to switch out from Mean Look.
Vaporeon: Celebi can Seed Bomb Vaporeon for huge damage and take little damage from any move except Ice Beam. If I find it switches out as soon as Celebi comes in I usually set up to try and hurt then next Pokemon.
Weavile: Scizor’s Bullet Punch not only has priority but also OHKOs Weavile.
Zapdos: Blissey is able to wall Zapdos and paralyse it, although Roost often means it can’t kill it. Rotom can do heavy damage with Shadow Ball or Overheat but it relies on Blissey’s paralysis to take the first hit.

You might want to try hp fire over zen headbutt on celebi. With no SpAtk but with Life Orb you should still be able to ohko scizor and forry along with damaging skarmory well. In that case you really only need to worry about heatran mostly.

You should probably stick to using this team on the suspect ladder considering how easily mence comes in on that celebi.

HP Fire on Celebhits Scizor for 82.8% - 98% (Potential OHKO, definite 2HKO). However a Choice Band Scizor OHKO's with U-turn, Pursuit (after Stealth Rock and LO recoil, definite if Celebi switches) and 2HKO's with Bullet Punch. Granted though, Scizor is usually dead before Celebi comes in. I dunno, I'll try it out and see.

EDIT: I'm finding trouble against flinch haxing Jirachi. Any suggestions?

EDIT 2: I'm considering running Life Orb over Choice Band on Scizor so that he isn't Magnezone bait. Any thoughts please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)