Gen 5 [OU] Specs Kyurem Sand Version 2

Hello, guys, it's me again! I've gotten some positive feedback, and criticisms about my first Specs Kyurem team, so I'm attempting to make a 2nd version of that. As always, let's start by introducing Specs Kyurem.

:bw/kyurem:
Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
If you have seen my first RMT, you probably know most of what I'm going to say. Specs Kyurem is an absolute monster. It has 130 special attack, with a good STAB combination allowing it to hit Pokémon such as Breloom, Landorus-Therian, Dragonite, and Thundurus-Therian. It does unfortunately have a Stealth Rock weakness, so we will obviously need a way to fix that. Its defensive typing leaves it weak to Fighting, and opposing faster Dragon-types, such as Latios.

:bw/latios:
Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Hidden Power: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Trick
- Dragon Pulse

Apart from no Healing Wish, and the slight downgrade in bulk, Latios is largely preferred over Latias due to its increased offensive prowess. For comparison, Latios reaches 359 special attack without a nature, and Latias has only 319. This set is pretty self-explanatory, to be honest. Drop Dracos, Surf the stuff that's weak to water, Trick the walls, and Dragon Pulse is good to clean up late-game.

:bw/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
Tyranitar is here for the sand aspect of the Specs Kyurem Sand, and it helps Kyurem by taking out Pokémon such as Latios, and Reuniclus. Chople Berry helps against Pokémon carrying moves such as Focus Miss Blast. I put Earthquake over Superpower, because it helps our matchup against Tentacruel, which is a pretty annoying Pokémon to deal with sometimes as it dishes out burns and poisons a lot.

:bw/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
To be honest, it was tough choosing between SD Lando-T and SD Gliscor in this slot. I might prefer Lando-T because +2 Fighting Gem Superpower OHKOes Rotom-Wash which this team could struggle a lot more with otherwise if it had SD Gliscor. Earthquake is for a reliable strong physical move that doesn't drop your stats as Superpower does. Hidden Power Ice hits Pokémon such as opposing Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp pretty hard due to their 4x weakness.

:bw/gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Here is Gastrodon. It is one of our two Keldeo answers on our team, and it helps our matchup against non Grass Knot variants of Thundurus-Therian. It helps against rain due to only having one weakness, and its ability to not care about opposing water attacks. Other options on this set include Clear Smog to help with setup sweepers, Ice Beam to hit things like dragons decently hard due to them often being 4x weak, and Earth Power which is a ground STAB that benefits from Storm Drain boost. Overall, Gastrodon is a Pokémon I don't see too often, and you should try it out if you haven't.

:bw/excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect
Since I used the offensive variant in my first Specs Kyurem team, I'll be fitting the specially defensive variant on this one. It focuses on dishing passive damage with Toxic + Protect, and clearing hazards for its teammates with Rapid Spin. It is bulky despite its low base special defense. It can like two Surfs from Choice Scarf Latios, and only takes 62.9% maximum from Specs variants. Now, I'm not trying to say you should switch this into Surfs. That's what Gastrodon is for. Excadrill is basically to scout moves of Choiced Pokémon such as Latios.

+1 (from Stom Drain) 0 SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 234-276 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 Atk Fighting Gem Landorus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 291-343 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
88+ Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 228-270 (53.7 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 183-216 (42.9 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 208 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 248-292 (60 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Hidden Power: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Trick
- Dragon Pulse

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Fighting Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

Hello again. Not much to add here since you did an ok build.

:gastrodon: Use Ice Beam here. You don't have much options on the team to control dragmag teams. Having Ice Beam at least let you keep Dragonite (special note to Subs Nite) and Salamence in check. Also it's nice to have ways to deal a good damage to Latios, Garchomp, Thundurus-t, Breloom and Amoonguss.
As a side note, I find better to use Ice Beam + Earth Power on gastro, since most of the games the slime mon is eating a random WoW from Rotom.

:landorus-therian: I don't like the lack of defensive power of the team. Ok that SD Lando can OHKO Rotom-Wash but with a Gastrodon here, this is a bit irrelevant since Rotom does nothing in this MU. You will probably get more value with an Sword Dance Gliscor as it keep the setup pressure and can keep physical mons like Sand Force Excadrill and BU Breloom in check

Hello again. Not much to add here since you did an ok build.

:gastrodon: Use Ice Beam here. You don't have much options on the team to control dragmag teams. Having Ice Beam at least let you keep Dragonite (special note to Subs Nite) and Salamence in check. Also it's nice to have ways to deal a good damage to Latios, Garchomp, Thundurus-t, Breloom and Amoonguss.
As a side note, I find better to use Ice Beam + Earth Power on gastro, since most of the games the slime mon is eating a random WoW from Rotom.

:landorus-therian: I don't like the lack of defensive power of the team. Ok that SD Lando can OHKO Rotom-Wash but with a Gastrodon here, this is a bit irrelevant since Rotom does nothing in this MU. You will probably get more value with an Sword Dance Gliscor as it keep the setup pressure and can keep physical mons like Sand Force Excadrill and BU Breloom in check
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure Rotom-Wash doesn't wisp half my team LOL.

Hey Man, I really like your Team you built. I would like to give you some Feedback about it to make it look even Better.

• Tyraniar should never be the Sole Stealth Rocker on a Sand Team because it isn't effective enough due to a lack of Free Turns and just unable to keep Stealth Rocks against the Common Excadrill. It would rather Focus on Trapping the Psychics other than getting Rocks, it also struggles to come in too. Thunder Wave > Stealth Rocks, It helps slow Things down like Psychics that Hates Paralysis like Alakazam and Latios for Slower Breakers on the Team like Specs Kyurem and Swords Dance Landorus.

• Gastro > Seis because it has Refresh for getting rid of Status like Toxic or Burn that would annoy Gastro and continuously wear it down and Provides a Better Stealth Rocker on the Team. It also packs Actual Speed that is used to 28 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Standard Specially Defensive Heatran. It effectively has better Utility / Support Options for a Team in general like Stealth Rock, comes in on Status that it can easily disappear with Refresh and even Knock Off.
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Refresh
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
  • Even though the Bulky Exca Set you have there is the Standard, I would prefer My Spread because it packs more Bulk.

• Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 22 Def / 248 SpD / 22 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

• I also would recommend this Kyurem Spread because I think its more effective than the other one as Max Speed, Timid Nature only allows to you Tie with other Kyurem and everything below. This Spread outpaces Standard Tentacruel that reach a Speed Stat of 310 and still outpacing Non-Scarf Landorus for more Effective Bulk to go along with its 125 HP and 90 Defenses which makes Kyurem fairly Bulky.
Kyurem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

• This one is Basically something I would do but I would put Roost > Dragon Pulse on Latios because it keeps Recovery on the Speed Control which is nice.

Anyways, That's all I would change about the Team. Very Nice Build you got there, I would love to take a Glance at the First Version of the Team. Be Safe and Happy Holidays!! :-)

Team Edit: https://pokepast.es/7cf6936c11bd30e9

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)