OU Sun Team

Hey guys, this is my second RMT. This is my second attempt at a sun team. It has gotten above 1010 most of the time in Smogon’s server. The highest it ever gotten to was 1034. I am willing to admit I am the type of noob who looks at his ranking at the end of every battle. The lowest it has gotten to is 987, but that doesn’t matter.

Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-o-Wisp
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I used Ninetails because it’s going to set up unlimited sun. Thanks to Jirachi who improved this Pokemon by a lot. The Air Balloon is there to safely switch into Excadrill. It used to be an Iron Ball so that it would set up Ninetales’ weather, but getting rid of Tyranitar early in the game is also crucial. Will-o-Wisp takes out physical sweepers. It used to be Toxic, but Jirachi pointed out that Will-O-Wisp helps take out Tyranitar. Energy Ball over Solarbeam is a good idea since Tyranitar could easily switch in and I would be locked into the battle between Tyranitar vs. Ninetails. Flamethrower is there over Fire Blast because I've replaced Victini with Scizor, which means I won't get the higher accuracy anymore. Hidden Power will hopefully OHKO Tyranitar.

Volcarona (F) @ Charti Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is my awesome special sweeper, since my team lacks a lot of them. I replaced Fire Blast with either Flamethrower since Victini is no longer with me. I use Flamethrower over Fiery Dance because I don't really care about the Special Attack boost since I have Quiver Dance. It has a 50% weakness to Stealth Rock, but that’s cool. I can get rid of Stealth Rock by using Donphan. Spikes also effect (affect?!?) it. I’m pretty sure that adds up to 75% when you add all the entry hazards together. If Toxic Spikes was up, it wouldn’t last 2 turns on the field. Charti Berry is there for the rock weakness it has. If you think it should be a Focus Sash instead, mention it in your comment. If not, mention that in your comment. Majority rules, so the more votes I have for Berry or Sash is the one I'm going to use.

Shiftry (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Growth
- Sucker Punch
- SolarBeam
- Low Kick

Awesome mixed Chlorophyll sweeper. I don’t know what to say about this guy. It’s so awesome. It uses growth to boost up all my moves. Sucker Punch is for ghosts, because I hate ghosts. SolarBeam is STAB. Low Kick hits Tyranitar and Heatran hard. I used to have Brick Break, but not many people use Light Screen+Reflect, so I took Shining Latios' idea of using Low Kick. I’m not sure why I put 4 EVs on Def. I just felt like it. I was wondering if I should put Leaf Storm in place of Solarbeam, since its also STAB and I can make up lost SAtk by using Growth again.

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Fang
- Wish
- Protect

The HP is an even number, which is important because of Wish. Dragon Tail forces the opponent to switch, while Fire Fang hits every steel except for Heatran, unless if there’s another Fire/Steel type with Flash Fire, but I’m sure there isn’t. Wish + Protect

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

The HP is divisible by 16. I checked. 252 in SDef lets it live through Draco Meteor on switchins. Rapid Spin is obvious; it takes out Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rock puts Stealth Rocks on the other side. Stone Edge and Earthquake have good coverage because it’s a Rock + Ground combo. However, I also think Ice Shard is a good idea, then I would have a revenge killer, but I don’t know what to replace.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Thanks to Jirachi, this Pokemon is now on my team. It can revenge kill Excadrill and Tyranitar with Bullet Punch and is a good partner for Volcarona. It can take out Latios with Pursuit, and is somewhat of a psuedo trapper with it; being able to trap ghosts. This Pokemon was meant to help me get rid of Sandstorm teams, which is a threat to my team in many ways.

Here are some notes you should know about me before you rate:

I’m not good at EV spreads. All I know is that you should have HP divisible by 16 when you’re using Leftovers, divisible by 8 when using Toxic Heal, and using an even number when using Wish. I also know that Speed should be 1 above the Pokemon you’re trying to outspeed, but my team doesn’t hold a grudge against a specific Pokemon.

I am a very cheap person, so that means I want every Pokemon to take advantage of the sun. Even Donphan does, since its water weakness is gone. Please give me Pokemon that you think would take advantage of the sun.

If you can see from my team, it is lacking Aromatherapy/Heal Bell, Dual Screener, and a Tank/Wall (if you could tell me what the difference is, then that would be appreciated).

I’m not good at team building, and I am too lazy to do Battling 101. I tried getting in 5 months in a row, but I failed, so I’m doing this instead. However, I am good at battling. I can work with any team that works and win, because I know how to find the strategy behind the team, but I'm bad at making Team Synergy.

I play with Item Clause.

Ideas that got replaced:

Victini @ Expert Belt
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- V-create
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break

Victini raises accuracy for all my team mates, so I tend to use any move with 80 or above accuracy when I’m given the chance. That way, I have at least 88 accuracy on every move. Other than that, I don’t really use him much. I have the U-Turn for the safe switch in of another Pokemon. Expert Belt allows it to deal more damage, and makes people think its choiced. I replaced Victini with Scizor because Jirachi said so. More reasons why I switched are with Scizor's explanation.

woah looks like you have a formatting problem you might want to go back to microsoft word and do a ctrl f and replace all the with nothing. then change your text to smogon text which iirc is veranda or something like that. Then team raters can rate it.

woah looks like you have a formatting problem you might want to go back to microsoft word and do a ctrl f and replace all the with nothing. then change your text to smogon text which iirc is veranda or something like that. Then team raters can rate it.

I just did. I didn't know what would happen, since this is the first time I'm copying and pasting from word. The last time I tried an RMT, I did it on the site and it took like 3 freakin' hours, so I was smart this time and I did it on word, only to find out there was a formatting problem.

Keep Charti Berry on Volcarona. You COULD use Lum Berry, but Charti Berry is probably the better option. Low Kick could be a better option over Brick Break on Shiftry to take down Tyranitar and Heatran.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

Well first of all your team have ENOURMOUS issues with Balloon Excadrill. Since Ninetales is hella slow with its Iron Ball, it won't be able to revenge kill it, while Donphan already have issues with Balloon Exca, a Specially Defensive versions just cannot check it at all. You'll need to break his balloon with Shiftry's Sucker Punch and then try to kill it with Donphan's EQ, which means you lose your fastest and easiest to set up sweeper. I really recommend you to change Ninetales' held item to Balloon, since it allows you to get on Excadrill's Earthquake or Swords Dance so you can kill it with Flamethrower. Also, Ninetales is the fastest weather inducer in the game, so you might use that at your advantage and run max speed. I recommend using Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast since a single miss could cost you the game, and Energy Ball over Solarbeam, since if an opposing Tyranitar gets on your Solarbeam, you're screwed, as you'll have to stay in to charge your move.

In short, use that moveset :
Ninetales @ Air Balloon
Timid
Drought
EVs : 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Will-O-Wisp

I put HP Fighting and Will-O-Wisp in there since they really cripple Tyranitar, especially Choice Scarfed versions.

Also, I think that Latios will really threaten this team a lot. It will get a free kill if it gets on anything not named Shiftry, and your only way to kill it is revenge killing it with Shiftry's Sucker Punch, which kinda sucks (ok, sorry for the bad pun). Since Latios is fairly popular on the OU ladder right now, you have to change that situation. Furthermore, Tyranitar will be a real pain to this team, since most of your team members won't appreciate being in Sandstorm. For those reasons, I think Choice Band Scizor is an ideal member for this team. It's a great partner for Volcarona too, who greatly appreciate Scizor's slow U-Turns to get sure opportunities to get in, since it may lose a huge chunk of its HP by Stealth Rock, and its probably your pokemon who hates Tyranitar the most. I think you should swap it for Victini, who will become somewhat redundant with it. Here's the set :

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Good luck!

Thanks Jirachi. You helped me a lot. I tested my team and it was great. I overcame Tyranitar, Latios, and Excadrill with my new team. HP fighting on Ninetails was a good idea. It's probably one of my favorite improvements you've made for me. Thanks for suggesting it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)