Other OU Teambuilding Competition V3 - Round 10 (Teambuilding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I didn't see it in the OP, are we allowed to make suggestions on the cores for the next round?

Alright voting has closed. It's clear to see Jewkain, I mean Jukain has clearly won Round 3 of teambuilding. Even though the dicksucking was outrageous (:P) it was your vote. Of course this means voting is now closed. The next core to build with will be:

Dugtrio + Tornadus-T is something interesting as Dugtrio is able to trap threats such as Heatran, Excadrill, and other grounded Pokemon while also being able to revenge kill due to it's 120 base speed which is very fast in today's meta. Tornadus-T is one of the most underrated Pokemon this gen. It's able to U-Turn and get any health back prior to SR damage or damage taken before due to Regenerator. It's vast movepool and great stats let's it be one of the most underrated threats we have to offer.

Teams are due Sunday, July 6th and voting starts July 7th.

Here is a Tornadus + Dugtrio Double Bird team:

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability:Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave
- U-Turn

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Excadill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Evs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- King's Shield

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

I first defined the sets for the core, prefering sash trio over other variants to have a very efficient revenge killer and a good SR setter in the same mon (which takes care of some prominent threats for the team such as Bisharp and Mega Charizard X). On the other hand I chose special LO Tornadus to have a better offensive presence and complement myy next mon in a good way (the LO recoil is healed with regenerator).
Then I chose Pinsir as my next mon because it pairs very well with Torn in flyingspam teams, elliminating each other's counters (while Trio traps the grounded checks)
As I was using three mons that were affected by Stealth Rock, I added a scarfed Excadrill to synergyze with the team and have both a spinner and a Talonflame/Pinsir/Rotom/ZardY check
Then Azumarill came in to fill holes like my weakness to Greninja and Megados and to hit problematic ground types like Lando-T and Hippowdon for super effective damage.
Finally, Aegislash fits very well into this team thanks to its ability to resist powerful hits and hit back causing insane amounts of damage (it provides a safe way to deal with some threats and a good switch into opposing Azumarill).

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Hypnosis

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick
- Rapid Spin

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 216 Spd / 40 Atk
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock

When I saw this core, the first I thing I thought of was how bad Dugtrio is. However, I was going to submit something, and it had to include Dugtrio, so I went at thought about things it trapped. Heatran, primarily...but also Tyranitar. And, Tornadus-T thrives in the rain, which hates being disrupted by the sand that Tyranitar brings. So, I went about building a rain team. I knew I was going to have Tornadus-T and Dugtrio, so I quickly decided their sets. I know TFL ran Naughty Dugtrio with Rock Tomb, but I quickly realized that I actually wanted the Speed afforded by Jolly, which lets Raikou trap and kill mainly the likes of weakened Keldeo and Raikou, or at worst let it get off a Stealth Rock before dying vs the myriad of threats around that Speed range. The one small decision I made was to use Substitute > Stone Edge. The thing is, Dugtrio can't actually trap the targets of Stone Edge. Substitute does two main things; it lets Dugtrio deal with Chansey (it doesn't kill but it does a hell of a lot with max damage Reversal) even in the presence of Toxic, and lets it avoid Mawile and Bisharp Sucker Punches in case its Sash is broken by SR that I couldn't remove, or something.

I then naturally added Politoed, using a SDef build which gives me an Aegislash and Char Y check. My next concern was taking advantage of rain (Swift Swimmer) and getting SR off for Dugtrio, as well as Torn-T to some extent. I also realized that I wasn't going to have room to fit in, say, a Latias to Defog, because Dugtrio was taking up that extra teamslot. With all this taken into consideration, I decided to use Rapid Spin Kabutops, which gives me hazard removal and a ferocious rain abuser. My next pick was a Mega. I could have gone with Mega Scizor or Mega Mawile and then Kingdra or something, but Mega Manectric stood out because it gives a lot of momentum for the team combined with Tornadus-T's U-turn which especially helps Dugtrio get in and gives another bird check besides Kabutops, as well as another thing to outspeed Keldeo which is important because I don't really have a dedicated check for it. For the last slot I knew I wanted a Steel-type to pivot into the Latis and w/e. Aegislash was a natural pick at that point because I really wanted some offensive presence as opposed to using, say, Ferrothorn, and it's also the best Pokemon in the tier that provides a resilient check to a lot of things.

Overall this team is built around the Mega Manectric + Tornadus-T VoltTurn core which helps keep the momentum in my team's favor, which is important because of the nature of rain as a playstyle. I'm still not really sold on the usefulness/viability of Dugtrio, but I'll admit that it's definitely seem some decent use, particularly in providing easy SR. Anyways that's the team ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)