Project OU Teambuilding Competition V7 (Round 6: Building)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ending this now because i can. grats to Subject 18 and team 1 for winning this round!

+

Hopefully y'all find this more interesting than the last. Found this gem in the good cores thread so let's see what yall can come up with this round. Deadline is in a week.

Also, please title your PMs "OU Teambuilding Competition Round [X]", with "X" being the current round (in this case it is 4). Nothing more; nothing less. It makes things MUCH easier for me when sorting through PMs, as I get a lot for some reason. Thanks, and good luck.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for lateness. Had limited access to a computer so I wasn't able to update this sooner. Anyways, here's the round:

1:

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 80 Atk / 212 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 160 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Defog

not much to explain...i started off by adding sd nat gift talon, mega scept, skarm. nat gift talon wasnt pulling its weight, and it was consistently getting to the point where the recoil from brave bird would hinder it when i was testing the team, so i switched it to sd acro. lum tyrantrum checks wisp talon pretty hard, and rock slide mega scept surprises talon too. EV spread for mega scept is MrAldo's, it gets favourable rolls against zard-x or something. skarm looks weird, but custap really really sucked when i was using it. i tried brave bird over whirlwind too, but if they have a mon that sets up while i am putting rocks i might as well click x. was v weak to mega manectric, so i added zapdos, which also helps check mega slowbro for tyrantrum+feral. lots of nice colours too, we all know a good team is a colourful team.

2:

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 124 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic

When I saw the core for this week I immediately knew what I was going to do. I decided to base this team around DD Gatr, one of my favourite mons that just happens to be the starter I chose in my first ever pokemon game. I'm running Ice Punch as my fourth move after DD, Waterfall and Crunch because, when I was testing, there were some situations where I really wanted to be able to deal with TankChomp and stop Mega Altaria from setting up on me (in this instance my Scizor had been taken out by a Magnezone). This last slot is easily interchangeable but I went with my personal preference. The other 'mon in the core, Tyrantrum, is running Scarf as it is Tyrantrum's best set imo possessing all the tools needed to be a good scarfer (spammable STAB(s), good coverage etc). When choosing my first partner to the core, I looked down the list of Feralligatr checks/counters and the two big ones that stuck out were Ferrothorn and Rotom-W. To lure and deal with them I added Fast SD Mega Scizor. Fast SD Scizor is amazingly antimeta atm, with many teams' first reaction upon seeing a Mega Scizor is switching to their Rotom-W/Heatran/Ferrothorn only to get outsped (Rotom and Tran) and weakened/KOed. As a result a lot of teams are ridiculously unprepared for this set. KOing Rotom-W with a +2 Bug Bite is especially excellent because it also causes problems for Tyrantrum as well as Gatr. Next, while Fast SD Mega Zor fitting beautifully it unfortunately has one drawback: It lacks Roost. And, even more unfortunately, Mega Scizor checks a number of extremely dangerous threats to my team. Enter HW Latias, who also provides some nice defog support and checks Keldeo who at this stage tears my team apart. While Healing Wish's main purpose is to heal Scizor, both Tyrantrum and Gatr greatly appreciate Healing Wish also. There isn't much else to be said about Latias as I just decided to go with the two standard attacks that are on nearly every Lati. After adding Latias, I was still really weak to Keldeo; especially since Latias lacks recovery because that slot is taken up by healing wish. To plug this hole I added AV Torn-T who also has the added bonus of checking Gengar, being a ground immunity that isn't bypassed by moldbreaker, being arguably the best pivot in the metagame and of course checking Keldeo in case Latias is too weakened or commited suicide. Heat Wave>Focus Blast to support Gatr. Finally, I needed an SR setter; preferably one that deals with Ferrothorn. Heatran fit the bill providing a more solid Birdspam check, a back-up Clefable 'check' and a more reliable way to deal with non-EQ Zard.

3:

Decided to build an offensive, momentum based team around the Feraligtr + Tyrantrum combo. First up, I knew I wanted Adamant Band Tyrantrum because that has little to no counters and it took care of stall in one slot, so I went with that. Also Band Tyrant is so good at weakening things for its teammates especially Gatr. Next, standard DD Gatr was fine here as it gave me a boosting sweeper that could threaten offense and clean up weakened balance. From here I wanted a bulky 'Mon that generated momentum and Mega Scizor fitted the bill, so it was added. M-Sciz gives me a dragon and fairy switch in, a way to bring in the first two monsters with U-Turn, and an additional boosting sweeper that could clean late game.

I went with Tank Chomp in the next slot for rocks and cause it is a master at weakening stuff thanks to Dragon Tail / Rough Skin + Rocy Helmet. It also gave me a cool Bisharp check. Latios was then added as the mandatory Keldeo / Zard Y check and I made it scarf since electrics and Zard X destroyed me. Gave it Trick so it could stallbreak a bit, rendering Mana, Clef etc useless setup bait for smth on the squad. Torn-T, Tangrowth, Mew, and a few others battled for the last spot; I literally spent 2 days testing who fit best, but with Hoopa in the tier, I was like yo screw it; I need to like have smth faster at least. With U-Turn. That is how Torn-T found its way on the team. Maxed out its HP so it could be a backup M-Zor check and just better take hits from Keld and frens or elecs if needed. Yup that's the squad. Looking for Hoopa switch ins but can't find none

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Trick

Voting ends Sunday. Good luck!

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
team 2
did anyone notice that 2 and 3 have pretty much the same pokemons?
team 2 is just more solid tho

Clone

Free Gliscor
You...You... won with team 2, grats! team will be archived shortly.

New Core:

Anything you want! Send in whatever team you like, so long as it is OU legal. Have fun with this round, and I'm looking forward the the diversity.

Remember, please title your PMs "OU Teambuilding Competition Round [X]", with "X" being the current round (in this case it is 5). Nothing more; nothing less. It makes things MUCH easier for me when sorting through PMs, as I get a lot for some reason. Thanks, and good luck.

Deadline for submissions is in a week.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
Even though it's a day early, I'm gonna start voting now because I will most likely not be able to post this tomorrow:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Basically I wanted to build around Mega-Gyarados because I haven't for a long time. The Dragon Dance set aims to sweep late game, so I threw on Kyu-B to do it's usual wallbreaker thing and kill shit; soften the other team up and remove some walls for M-Gyara to clean up later. Because I'm not running Sub, any form of status pretty much cripples M-Gyara, so I added a Latias for Healing Wish support. I considered something with Heal Bell but most users are pretty passive, and I much prefer to play agressively. Latias also provides the team's defog support and punches through Mega-Venusaur, which Kyu-B does also but w/e. Talonflame is excellent for revenge killing, cleaning a couple mons late game, and taking out Steel- and Fighting- type pokemon that irritate M-Gyara. I'm running CB because my team lacked a good revenge killer and Talon is basically build for the job with Gale Wings + Brave Bird. Ferrothorn provides Stealth Rock for the team as well as a solid blanket check to physical attackers, and also forms a F/W/G 'core' with TFlame + Gyara. The main reason I chose it was to have a switch in to fairies, especially Mega-Diancie, because everything else I have got destroyed by it. I considered Gyro Ball but T-Wave seemed really good for helping Gyara set up. Finally I threw on a Lando-T because isn't that what everyone does in OU? to provide nice powerful Ground-STAB, a Ground immunity, U-Turn momentum, and Intimidate to help against threatening physical mons. OK TBH I forgot why I put it on but it seemed like a good idea and its working for me. Team = done.

Seeing as this week we had the chance to build whatever team using whatever core i decided to go with the classic mega diancie+volcarona core. Considering how this meta favors offense pretty well i decided to build a Ho team. First i started off with Hp ground Volc+sharpen mega diancie which is a neat combination becuase sharpen mega diancie can beat stuff like cm clef or chansey which otherwise would give this core a lot of trouble. Volc lures in heatran with hp ground also so thats cool. Next i decided to use mixed jirachi because of its ability to lure in all sorts of things such as ferrothorn and scizor for mega diancie with hp fire and icy wind for stuff like landot and chompers which are common rachi switch ins. Also have t bolt to surprise stuff like talon which is nice seeing how my landot is offensive so catching talon is nice. Next i needed something that can get off rocks so i went with sd lum smack down landot which allows me to cripple stuff like opposing landot as well as other levitating mons which is cool. lum allows me to also lure in rotom and then hit it with smack down and follow up with eq while ignoring the burn thanks to the lum berry. Next my team was in need of a revenge killer so i went with scarf keldeo which also patches up the problem of my team being somewhat slow. Last i needed hazard removal support for volcarona so i went with latios who can not only remove hazards but also check opposing keldeo that and each team should have a mon with base 110 speed on ho. Really fun team. Typically i like to switch between sub toxic and mix rachi and defensive landot over sd landot. Also this team has nicks so it preforms 100% better then it normally would ^_^.

Izanami (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Sharpen
- Earth Power
- Moonblast

Amaterasu (Volcarona) (F) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quiver Dance

Fukurokuju (Jirachi) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 132 Atk / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Suijin (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Ryo-Wo (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Izanagi (Landorus-Therian) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

You'll probably recognize the six members of the team, as I did my 1k post in the form of an RMT showcasing (and hoping to improve, of course), this team. Basically I wanted to build around Mega Scizor, a Pokemon I haven't really explored until now, and it seemed promising as it dealt with a lot of top-tier threats such as Kyurem-B, Mega Metagross, Latios, Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, Landorus-T, Weavile, Mega Lopunny etc., and with Swords Dance provided a good bulky win-con for the team alongside having Bullet Punch to pick off weakened foes. I went through the ORAS Good Cores thread and found the Mega Scizor + Kyurem-B combo, which was very adept at covering each other's flaws. I needed a solid Fighting resist in general, especially for Keldeo which beat Kyurem-B + Mega Scizor with ease. Latios was added for its ability to not only check these aforementioned Fighters but also provide utility in Defog to stop Kyurem-B + Mega Scizor being worn down too quick - and the rest of the team as well. Thundurus + Landorus-T is my way of handling Talonflame - Thundurus has paralysis support in Thunder Wave to cripple Talonflame, along with other boosting threats such as Dragon Dance Mega Altaria and Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X. Landorus-T has U-turn to bring in the members of the team safely, set up Stealth Rock, and has Intimidate to ward off physical attackers. Chose the offensive pivot set because it fitted well on the offensive type of team I had built five-sixths of and hits a hella hard. Gyarados was last to counter Mega Lopunny and provide a somewhat bulkier win-con and another switch-in to Keldeo and Azumarill. Originally had Knock Off on Mega Scizor but I changed it to U-turn as Bisharp was annoying and the utility of momentum-gaining early-game was really cool. Kyurem-B also now has Hidden Power Fire for Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor which are annoying to take down. The Mega Scizor spread was suggested by Flygonial as apparently it's more efficient at taking on Landorus-T and Mega Lopunny.

Warrior (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 44 Def / 188 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Polaroid (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Infinity (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Paralyzed (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Demons (Landorus-Therian) @ Soft Sand
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Gravity (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute

This team looks insanely generic but I actually had some success with this so I thought I might as well send it in. The core of Mega Manec + Garchomp actually came from a Good Cores post and I felt like building some HO around it. I decided to use BD Azu as the main wincon for this team and I felt that it worked very well with Manectric wearing down mons with Volt Switch and Garchomp completely breaking walls for Azu to sweep. I added Bisharp because who runs HO without Bisharp? It also worked very well alongside Klefki by deterring Defog. Klefki is needed as an answer to a bunch of set up sweepers that can easily overwhelm my team as I lack a scarfer and can't outspeed them plus its really useful with Azu as it weakens teams with Spikes and TWave. And last, I needed a CharY switch in, I didn't want HW, so I went with Latios. I kinda wanted to run HP Fighting for Bisharp as I'm kinda weak to it but I'd rather have CM to screw over Gliscors and Hippos that think they can just eat up a Draco and heal off the damage. Mlops a threat but it's complete aids for HO anyway, but Klefki can usually eat up a couple of hits and pressure it with Spikes / Twave. Bisharp is another issue too, but I can usually 1v1 it with my own Bish or EQ with Garchomp it if it hasn't boosted and bluff a defensive set.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Deadline for voting is gonna be in a week (Saturday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)