OU Teambuilding Workshop [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I would like a team based around Marowak-A. I love the design and typing of it, but haven't seen too many ways to build an OU team with it. I don't have a preference about team style, but build it for a phero-less meta please. Perhaps this set can be a starting point (but can be changed at the builder's discretion):

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp

Thanks in advance!

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Scald
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

I would like help making a team around this defensive core. This core helps in checking most of the offensive threats. Jirachi helps deal with mons like tapu lele and provide wish support to its members. Mega venu helps deal with koko and mag teams and tapu fini helps to deal with greninja and help deal with stall.

If possible I would like nastyplot+rockpolish mew with mewnium z on here if possible as a late game sweeper. Thanks for your help in advance

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch / Taunt
- U-turn

Mamoswine and Tapu Koko have nearly perfect synergy. Every common counter to Tapu Koko bar Ferrothorn gets completely bodied by Mamoswine, and even Ferro becomes a shaky switchin when Mamoswine runs Superpower. Coupled with teams being generally unprepared for Mamoswine, the pig gets a ton of chances to punch holes in opposing teams, or kill off Tapu Koko's counters, allowing the latter to freely wreak havoc on the opponent.

Pros: Very strong against bulky teams and balance, slips easily in to VoltTurn archetypes, Mamo is poorly prepared for these days, and both members of the core can kill Toxapex (!)
Cons: The core has about 0 defensive utility, and really only fits on more aggressive builds. Because of that, pretty much anything faster than Tapu Koko (Scarf Lele/Keld/Chomp, Ashninja, etc) is a huge threat to this core. Also, Ferrothorn's a bit of a problem still, as Superpower only does ~65-75% damage to it, meaning it has to be weakened before Mamo can start punishing it.

Birdpig (Offensive Core) Posted on Good cores by Dread Arceus

-------------
dual scarf mega beedrill offense

requested by: Merchandise_thegod

-------------
mega beedrill struggles a lot in a metagame filled with landorus-t and bulky steels, but i tried to make it work as best i could without being too generic.

mega beedrill is obviously the focal point of the team. i've opted for drill run over bug bite to nail some of the steel-types that magnezone is unable to trap, such as heatran, magearna, and mega metagross. magnezone traps and removes a number of the steel-types that cause mega beedrill trouble, such as skarmory, ferrothorn, and mega scizor, however, the main draw of this set is electrium z + substitute. electrium z gives magnezone the power to ohko pokemon such as spd celesteela and mega mawile, while substitute enables magnezone to outplay sucker punch users and also take advantage of ferrothorn. a timid nature is used to get the jump on speed-creeping mega scizor, while also outspeeding defensive landorus-t. tapu bulu provides the team with a form of speed control, checking offensive threats such as ash-greninja and tapu koko. megahorn is needed to hit tangrowth, which basically 6-0s the team if you don't play well so keep that in mind. landorus-t provides stealth rock, momentum, and a blanket check to physical threats; namely mega charizard x, zygarde, and swords dance landorus-t. the choice between hidden power ice and knock off comes down to whether you'd prefer a better matchup against landorus-t, zygarde, and garchomp, or skarmory and tangrowth. latios provides hazard removal, something that mega beedrill really appreciates as it is quickly chipped by both spikes and stealth rock. it also provides some defensive utility as the team's primary answer to mega charizard y, keldeo, and magma storm heatran. lastly, keldeo provides additional speed control, handling the likes of greninja, while also being the team's one stop to volcarona - don't miss stone edge.
First off, thank you very much!

Are there specific sets i should run?

Are you ok with us changing the set from Scarf to something else? We would keep Ice Beam as you requested, but I don't think Scarf Ice Beam is necessarily the best combo.

If you're fine with us not using Scarf, I can get started on this right away.
No problem. If another item is better than a scarf then great. I also don't mind whether the move is Beam, Fang or Blizzard (Forgot Tyranitar learns Ice Fang :-[)

No problem. If another item is better than a scarf then great. I also don't mind whether the move is Beam, Fang or Blizzard (Forgot Tyranitar learns Ice Fang :-[)
Tyranitar learns Ice Punch and Choice Band is its best set so why not that?

EDIT: I could also request a team with Sweeper Magearna (either OTR or SGear), both are on smogon but you can maybe do some changes if you want such as using a different zmove if you need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk
implaser

hey dude, i worked with your venu / rachi / fini core. it was pretty easy to build bc those 3 have insane defensive synergy together so i just had to figure out the best combination of mons that can win vs offense, give you an out vs bulky teams, and handle threats that the first 3 dont. the first thing that came to mind was sd landorus bc it has an extremely good match up vs bulky teams. the set is unorthodox but zfly + smack down means you can threaten bulky grasses along with things like skarm / celesteela. scarf keldeo was an easy addition to cover the revenge killing of set up sweepers but to also act as another fire resist since offensive tran is pretty scary for this team. finally, i wanted a mon that was good vs offense and offers some utility vs pinsir and settled on koko as it appreciates lando removing grass types for it while giving the team more answers for celesteela. here is the import:

EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Wish

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 16 SpD / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- U-turn

you can go eq > hp fire on venu to lure tran. if you make that change then koko should probably be hp fire for ferrothorn. i made a second version with celesteela over jirachi which gave me a bit more freedom. here is the import:

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

EVs: 208 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Round

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 16 SpD / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

tankmonx

koko + mamo is a very nice duo. mgross was an easy addition because it obviously offers a lot offensively and also provides a lele switch in while taking advantage of koko chipping things down w volt switch / u turn. landorus is an easy catch all pivot that sets rocks, lures in opposing landorus, and grabs momentum. i decided to finish off the team with a dual water core because koko + mamo do such a great job at wearing down grass types and even some water types in mamo's case. not only that ash gren + scarf keld provide crucial utility in additional priority, a mon that can outspeed mgross, mons that can resist mawiles sucker punch and hit it hard, and revenge killing capabilities.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- U-turn

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

If it's not too much trouble, could someone add 3 members to this core? It's just 3 mons that I understand and enjoy using, but I'm not sure of their general synergy. I was running them with Megagross, Spin Scarfcadrill, and DD Gyara, but it's kind of unsatisfactory for me. Feel free to change up their sets or even switch out a mon if something works better in its place. I'm generally going for a balanced offense.

I have a current special core of Specs A-Gren and Scarf Nihilego. They hit each other's weaknesses pretty well, Gren targeting the ground and psychic types that want to move in on Nihilego, while Nihilego hits the fairies, grasses, and 4x ice weaknesses that do well against A-Gren. Obviously, they're both limited by choice, and Nihilego is primarily a revenge killer/late game cleaner, but I love A-Gren's wallbreaking and general sweeping once its checks aren't even gone, just weakened, and I love scarf Nihilego (because Volcarona scares me and I hate it). They're also limited in their effectiveness against steels, as neither has SE coverage for them. Any sort of offense build around them would be fine, definitely including some mons that can break through the steels that cause them problems (CharY????) and definitely some stall breakers. I outlined the previous team I had with them up above. Any team and help would be greatly appreciated!

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
[\hide]

Last edited:
Could someone build a sun team around Torkoal? I don't have any particular set in mind so whatever works. And for the Suspect ladder please.

Also, I know I'm not supposd to require other pokemon on this team since Torkoal is ranked C- but I would like it to be a sun team potentially with Chlorophyll abuser(s) (Disclaimer: no Chlorophyll users are ranked) I think Shiftry (has many many solid moves), Lilligant (surprisingly strong + Healing Wish), or Sawsbuck (Horn Leech, Jump Kick, Swords Dance, Normal STAB) are just as good of options as normal Chlorophyll Venusaur despite being largely overlooked. Or perhaps instead of Chlorophyll perhaps the role of Sun is helping fire types like Mega Charizard X break through would be checks/counters or maybe a Trick Room team with Victini and Torkoal. Maybe even a pokemon with Solar Power such as Mega Houndoom, Heliolisk, or Scarf Charizard (lol) could find a use. These are all just creative suggestions meant to be helpful. Do whatever you think is best :)

I'd like a team based around two dragon dance bros doing work. Idea is they overwhelm their checks and counters through sheer power. This would probably work better with Mence but I wanted another Z mover.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Dance

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, but as per rule 1 (no unranked Pokemon according to the SM OU VR), I'm going to have to reject your request. You're free to post again, but please review the rules beforehand.

Sorry, but as per rule 1 (no unranked Pokemon according to the SM OU VR), I'm going to have to reject your request. You're free to post again, but please review the rules beforehand.

Got it. Post deleted. That was my bad, saw the Talonflame post didn't get declined and didn't realize it was ok because it IS on the viability rankings.

Edit: 3rd times the charm.

Going back to the original idea of double dragon dancers. This time Gyarados. Idea is to use either as a win con depending on the match up. I prefer to go with Intimidate/Sub Gyar for easier set up chances+leaving my Z move slot open

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Charizard @ Charizardite X
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
-------------
vincune + groundium z dugtrio balance

requested by: snaildelagate
-------------

vincune's honestly not that good right now. not only does it have to fight with other superior water-types like toxapex, tapu fini, keldeo, and greninja for slots on a team, but unfortunately a number of common defensive pokemon such as the aforementioned toxapex and tapu fini, as well as mantine, gastrodon that prevent suicune from being able to be the same threatening pokemon to defensive styles that it was in late-oras.

i tweaked
suicune's evs slightly, it now hits 290 speed which allows it to outspeed neutral base 95 speed pokemon; namely non-choice scarf tapu lele, most kyurem-b, and choice band zygarde. groundium z dugtrio supports suicune nicely by trapping toxapex and unaware clefable, while also picking off tapu fini and amoonguss once they have been weakened a bit. substitute allows dugtrio to play around mega mawile, although that slot can be stone edge if you prefer being able to hit flying- and grass-types. mega scizor provides defensive utility checking threats like tapu lele, latios, and mega metagross, while also supporting suicune by luring in and u-turning on pokemon such as toxapex and magnezone that dugtrio can trap. tangrowth provides an actual electric resist, while also being a solid ground and water check. rock slide is used to lure mega charizard y, tornadus-t, while also preventing volcarona from using tangrowth as setup fodder. swords dance + yache berry garchomp provides stealth rock, and checks a number of balance-breakers such as mega charizard y and hidden power ice volcarona while also pressuring grass and steel-types. keldeo rounds out the team as a choice scarf user used to revenge kill threats such as mega charizard x, salamence, and bisharp.
-------------
alternative version

-------------
an alternative version of this team can be run with heatran and latios in the place of garchomp and keldeo, although this version is a bit more passive. it's more solid vs zapdos and tapu lele, but a bit weaker to greninja, so feel free to try both out to see what you prefer.

Last edited:
Update: Rule 2 has been changed. The new maximum is now 2 'mons for each request so keep that in mind when posting.

Tagging silversurfer718 so he can either change his request or retract it.

Tagging Toshiro46—I know you indicated being fine with having one 'mon dropped, but if you'd like to specify what two to keep that would work well.

koko + mamo is a very nice duo. mgross was an easy addition because it obviously offers a lot offensively and also provides a lele switch in while taking advantage of koko chipping things down w volt switch / u turn. landorus is an easy catch all pivot that sets rocks, lures in opposing landorus, and grabs momentum. i decided to finish off the team with a dual water core because koko + mamo do such a great job at wearing down grass types and even some water types in mamo's case. not only that ash gren + scarf keld provide crucial utility in additional priority, a mon that can outspeed mgross, mons that can resist mawiles sucker punch and hit it hard, and revenge killing capabilities.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- U-turn

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

can you explain your reasoning for hp ice> hp fire on Koko and Hammer arm> Earthquake Metagross?

can you explain your reasoning for hp ice> hp fire on Koko and Hammer arm> Earthquake Metagross?
HP Ice is a far more common coverage option because it hits several relevant grounds that otherwise wall Koko such as Garchomp, Lando-T, and Zygarde. HPs are usually only useful for 4x, and Ferrothorn would be the only relevant thing hit by it - Scizor takes just as much damage from Electric Terrain boosted Thunderbolt as it does from HP Fire, and Kartana is OHKOed by Terrain Thunderbolt. Basically HP Fire only hits one mon, while HP Ice hits three (and I might be forgetting others), all of which immune to electric.

Since you only have one other fighting type coverage move, Hammer Arm is nice for hitting steels not weak to ground like Kartana and Ferrothorn or rocks not weak to steel like Kabutops. Also OHKOs Gren on the switch. EQ is an option too, but you have both Lando and Mamoswine already.

Okey-dokes, got some fiery stuff here that I should preface probably isn't the best since weather isn't particularly strong, but they should be fun teams.

Gonna take inspiration from False. and his formatting style since it's pretty oo (also click sprites for importables)

Metagross-Mega Sand (could be an ORAS team!!)

Description:

Hi, Psychobuzz! Okay, so this one was a bit of doozy to figure out. You seemed ok with any 'Tar + Ice-type move, so I experimented heavily with a bunch of Band 'Tar + Ice Punch builds but couldn't really figure out anything particularly interesting or effective. I figured I would try to play off of the pressure this 'Tar could potentially place on Lando-T and go from there, so a lot of my earlier builds with this were just Band 'Tar + SD Mawile; the major issue there was that Band 'Tar simply doesn't work as well as it used to and it shows in teambuilding really harshly. The builds were either really slow or had major glaring weaknesses, so I scrapped that and settled on some whacky sand build that for some reason has no fighting resists (it's fine, I swear!).

Since I was building sand, I wanted Steel-type defensive redundancy to compensate for how Excadrill is a pretty bad defensive steel in the conventional sense plus something that could pressure the myriad of checks Excadrill has now. Metagross-Mega fits the bill pretty much perfectly; it pressures stuff like 'Steela with T-Punch, Lando-T with continuous Mashes, and a few other things. This variant is HP Fire which is traditionally complete booty-cheeks but is painfully necessary for how weak this build is to Scizor. Next up, we have a glue pivot duo of Rotom-W and Tangrowth that help manage the abhorrent fat grounds weakness the team has so far accrued as well as key threats like Zygarde, Mawile, Scizor, etc. I don't really like weather with scarfers too much, and the team did a surprisingly good job of managing the speed boosting sweepers the tier is littered with, like Volcarona, Gyarados, and Zard-X, so all I had to do was find decent natural speed + something for 'Mence. Swords Dance Weavile, while a rarer pick these days, fits the bill nicely by providing a boosting sweeper to the team in addition to a solid speed tier.

The team's fighting resist is Chople 'Tar and it's pretty damn Greninja weak (but what isn't lol) so keep that in mind. It covers all everything up until A rank pretty decently and should cover most of B, so I think you'll be fine. It did pretty decently in testing.

Venusaur + Specs Heatran Sun

Description:

Yo, MilkyWay. Got your sun team here. This was interesting to tinker with, but I feel like this is ultimately the best version of what I've constructed thus far despite some obvious flaws, but that's pretty much inevitable with sun. My original idea was Dugtrio + Volcarona + Torkoal, but it's relatively annoying to account for the scarfers that Volcarona is RK'd by—that idea was scrapped. I moved onto the idea of Chlorophyll sweepers soon after after I remembered having success with a troll sun team TDK pasted that featured Venu + Victreebell.

I honestly kind of forgot how I built this version, but the starting point here was—I think—Torkoal + Dugtrio + Cresselia. Sun is inherently going to be a very janky playstyle that is going to be strapped for threat coverage, so something capable of massively blanket checking the meta, like Cress, is practically mandatory. From there, I added the best Chlorophyll sweeper, Venusaur, Specs Heatran, and Scarf Terrakion to round out threat coverage. I apologize for this being particularly non-descriptive teambuilding process—this was the product of lots of tossing together a bunch of possible builds and seeing what worked best in theory and in practice. I ultimately decided that the pressure a Chlorophyll sweeper exerted + something to wallbreak with sun up was best to optimize offensive pressure output, so that's why 'Tran + Venu are there mainly.

Ash Gren is a massive headache and your only ground resist is Cress (!!) so be careful there. Stall will also be a major frustration but I don't think a viable sun team could get around that well. My sun teams did well in testing so hopefully it works well for you! Do note that there is a slash in Venusaur's moveset; you'll have to manually change that in the paste before actually importing if you want it to properly register in PS!.​

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Nedor posted the Garchomp set in the creative set dump and it's cool it use. All the teams I've built around it haven't been stand out and it'll be cool to see someone else's take on it. For post mosa ban.​

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Nedor posted the Garchomp set in the creative set dump and it's cool it use. All the teams I've built around it haven't been stand out and it'll be cool to see someone else's take on it. For post mosa ban.​
Would you be ok with slight changes to the Lando set in terms of EVs?

Here's a first for this thread. I'd like to see what you gents could make of a Mega-Charizard Y team. It seems pretty good right now being able to break some common things that have been on the rise lately.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid/Modest Nature
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Been screwing around with these variations to it, but cannot seem to settle on a final product.

I've been running with a double weather in Tyranitar + this with some meh success, however I dunno where to go from here. If I wanted a final draft of the team, it'd be a bulky/wallbreaking offense that would look something like this.

- 2 wallbreakers (1 being Zard-Y)
- 1 hazard setter
- 1 hazard remover
- 1 cleaner/setup sweeper
- 1 wall/team support

Doesn't have to be exactly like that, but it's the one that comes to mind.

EDIT: Also assuming Pheromosa is banned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)