Other OU Water Monotype Team

Hey guys! This is my first RMT, so be extra harsh if I mess anything up. Water is my favorite type and I was a very successful battler in 5th gen, so 6th gen I wanted to give myself a bit of a challenge! I started doing various monotype teams in OU, and Water is by far my favorite. This team has been doing fantastic so far, but I just want some input on how to make it even better.

The team-

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

This thing is such a monster. It's the simple cookie-cutter Belly drum set, however I have 4 more EVs into speed simply due to the chance that I have to set up before eliminating other Azumarills. At +6 this thing's aqua jet will pretty much kill anything that doesn't resist it, and waterfall will kill pretty much everything else. The only thing I ever use Play rough on is a full health bulky Dragonite and bulky Azumarills, so when it doubt, spam Aqua Jet. This is my boosting sweeper and also my late game cleaner.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Roar

This is one of the more weird sets on this team. This used to be a simple bulky DD set, but I needed something that can really switch into physical attackers. Don't get me wrong, Tentacruel is bulky but it's not going to like switching into boosted hits, where Gyarados can easily do that due to intimidate. This set in general is used to take out physically-oriented boosting sweepers. Namely Dragonite, Charizard-X, Mega-Pinsir, and Azumarill.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rain Dish
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast (Or HP Fire)

Okay now before you go in the comments and say how stupid I am for using this, just try it out. This is honestly a staple of all my teams, Monotype or not. It's so good. I'll be honest, I don't like BlameTruth, and most of the sets he comes up with are terrible and gimmicky and they seem like he just made them in 5 minutes. This set, however, is amazing. It can take hits like a champ, and slams back pretty hard too. It can beat Ferrothorn with Focus Blast, however I am constantly switching Focus Blast our for HP Fire just due to it's inaccuracy. However this is up to you. I'm sticking with Focus Blast for now. Another thing is the ability. I'm not running rain, if you want to switch the abilities feel free, I just run it because it'd be the most useful in the situation that my opponent set up rain. But seriously, if you walk away with anything, walk away knowing that this is a wonderful set.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

I can safely say that this thing is the weakest member of my team. All it does is rapid spin and kill Azumarill. That's about it. It's really terrible in comparison to my other Pokemon. I pretty much only use this thing over a defensive Cloyster set (Which I used to run) is because Cloyster doesn't get Scald and is also weak to fighting types. I wanted to also run Starmie, but I'd rather have the extra bit of bulk and Starmie is too frail to reliably switch into attacks in my opinion. I don't know, tell me what you guys think about Tentacruel, because it gets the job done (Spins away hazards), but it can't do much else.

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch (Or Rock Slide/Stone Edge)

Oh boy, this thing. Swampert with a choice band is just great. It let's me switch into electric attacks and hits back, hard. Nothing like switching into this thing, and with good prediction it helps out, a lot. I'm not going to say this thing is an offensive tyrant, because it's not, but it's good for what it is and it's electric immunity kicks in really handy. I did have a boosting set, but the Choice Band is just better I think.

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Scald

This is another member of my team I'm not too sure on. It's really hit-or-miss. Some games it's just a beast and wrecks late-game, but other times it just sucks and does nothing. I was thinking of switching this thing out for something like Keldo, or something with better speed in general, but I like the extra Electric neutrality and being 4x resistant to Fire and Water helps it set up Focus Energy.

I know that the team lacks speed, but so far this really hasn't been an issue. Tell me what you guys thing about it!

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Your team seems pretty solid but I would change some things in your team

Azumarill: Very scary. I use the same Azumarill and she is very good
Gyarados: I see you don't use a Mega evolution. Mega Gyarados seems like the best Water Mega to me so you could use him. Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados has a good attack stat and can beat a lot cards.
Ludicolo: I'm not sure about Ludicolo. Greninja, Manaphy and Rotom-Wash are some examples I would use instead him. Rotom-Wash can do the same job Ludicolo can (kill other water types)
Tentacruel and Swampert: My advise is to learn Tentacruel Toxic Spikes or to learn Swampert Stealth Rock.
Kingdra: I've never used Focus Energy + Sniper but it seems like a good idea.

Your team seems pretty solid but I would change some things in your team

Azumarill: Very scary. I use the same Azumarill and she is very good
Gyarados: I see you don't use a Mega evolution. Mega Gyarados seems like the best Water Mega to me so you could use him. Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados has a good attack stat and can beat a lot cards.
Ludicolo: I'm not sure about Ludicolo. Greninja, Manaphy and Rotom-Wash are some examples I would use instead him. Rotom-Wash can do the same job Ludicolo can (kill other water types)
Tentacruel and Swampert: My advise is to learn Tentacruel Toxic Spikes or to learn Swampert Stealth Rock.
Kingdra: I've never used Focus Energy + Sniper but it seems like a good idea.
Gyarados is pretty much there simply because boosting sweepers would wreck me otherwise. I might change it to a bulky DD set though, that sounds like it could work.
Ludicolo is just the most appealing out of all the other options. His grass typing is also a major factor why he's used due to the fact that he can switch into leech seeds and such.
Thanks for the feedback :)

IMO greninja is a staple for Water Mono teams. I'd consider switching out Kingra for it. Ludicolo is a boss on Water Mono teams, don't listen to what anyone says differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)