OU wifi team that doesn't have a name.

Introduction:
So I was just messing around with random sets on wifi found a few sets I like, and made a team out of them. My favorite set that I tested was Resttalk Bulk Up Heracross. I found that it had a lot of potential and is an extremely underrated set that can take out many of Heracross' usual counters. So I tried to build a team around it, giving it opportunities to set up as well as counters for it's checks. Please keep in mind this team is for wifi - no rotoms allowed.

Team at a Glance

---​

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 HP
  • Hydro Pump
  • Ice Beam
  • Rapid Spin
  • Trick
Why This Pokemon: This was one of the leads I tested and I love it. Most people don't realize it's scarfed so they either fall for the trick or their sweeper is revenged later.

Why This Set: I like being able to Trick opponents, it is a good check for things like Curse Swampert and Crocune and is a great weapon against stall. I also like that it can spin away rocks against things like Azelf. However I find that it's hard to chose between Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, so I'm considering replacing Rapid Spin with Thunderbolt for greater coverage.

Vs. Common Leads (Shamelessly stolen from Comp who stoke it from The Shiny Pidgey, and he shamelessly stole it from the smog)
Azelf - Trick, and they'll be stuck on Taunt or SR usually. Then Hydro Pump + Rapid Spin for the KO.

Aerodactyl - Ice Beam for the 2hko

Swampert - Trick. Usually they'll switch though. Meh.

Metagross - Hydro Pump for what is usually a 2hko.

Jirachi - I usually assume they're Scarfed, and use Hydro Pump. U-Turn hurts and it gets out a counter.

Infernape - Hydro Pump to break the sash, Ice beam or Rapid Spin to KO.

Machamp - Hydro Pump to at least hurt it while it usually KO's Starmie with payback. Send in Salamence to finish it off.

Roserade - Annoying. Switching to Heracross is probably the best move. Sometimes I'll stay in and ice beam to break the sash.

Tyranitar - Hydro Pump to attempt a 2hko, if it uses payback send in Salamence to revenge.

Gliscor - Will usually switch. I use Hydro Pump so things like Heatran can't come in like they would on an Ice Beam.

Heatran - Hydro Pump.

Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP | 40 Att | 216 SpD
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
  • Bulk Up
  • Megahorn
Why This Pokemon: This is the pokemon this team was built around.

Why This Set: This set has a lot of potential and can take down whole teams once Heatran or Skarmory is gone. It can set up on all of the bulky waters without worrying about Toxic, and after one bulk up it can 2HKO Vaporeon. It can also easily set up on Choice-locked Flygons, Tyranitars, Heatrans, Gengars, and many other things. However it is not without it's faults. It is walled and taken down but Skarmory, Heatran, some Zapdos, most Mence (if they play correctly), Crobat, and maybe a few others.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
  • Fire Blast
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Earth Power
  • Explosion
Why This Pokemon: Heatran has great synergy with Heracross, and can come in on any Brave Birds or Fire Blasts directed at it, while Heracross can setup on the Bulky Waters that threaten Heatran.

Why This Set: Scarftran lets me at least tie with other heatran. This is important because opposing Heatran must be removed before Heracross can sweep. This heatran also allows me to revenge kill MixMence which is a threat to my team (any everyone else's...). I can also outspeed and Explode on +1 Gyarados which otherwise trouble my team.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Naive
EVs: 16 Att | 240 SpA | 252 Spe
  • Fire Blast
  • Draco Meteor
  • Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
Why This Pokemon: Salamence works well with the rest of my team. It can come in on any ground attacks aimed at heatran or fire attacks directed at Heracross. But unlike Heatran, Salamence is more focused on tearing holes in the opponents team than revenge killing. If I switch in on something that I'm sure will switch out (like a Flygon locked into EQ) I'll usually use Dragon Claw to scout.

Why This Set: This counters the defensive pokemon that could otherwise give me trouble. Fire Blast covers Skarmory. Draco Meteor takes out Swampert. Dragon Claw is because I rarely use Outrage and I don't like not being able to switch.

I'm originally had Dragonite here and I can't say I'm completely happy with the switch. I feel like Dragonite had better Super Effective coverage, which made up for the lack of speed and less power.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
  • Stealth Rock
  • Ice Beam
  • Earthquake
  • Roar
Why This Pokemon: Swampert sort of holds my team together. I needed another check to DD Mence (who doesn't?), and something to set up SR. Swampert is as good as any other poke in both regards, and I get another Heatran check as well.

Why This Set: Stealth Rock is a huge benefit to this team. Some of the things that often switch in on Heracross like Zapdos, Salamence, and even Crobat take a lot from SR, which limits their ability to counter it for long. Ice Beam takes down and Dragons locked into Outrage and provides good coverage with Earthquake (the obligatory STAB move). EQ also helps with Lanturn although the SubChargeBeam set can 2hko with Hydro Pump. Roar is for scouting which is invaluable for this team, since Heracross has some very specific counters. It's also a last ditch effort to get rid of Crocune.

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
  • Earthquake
  • U-Turn
  • Dragon Claw
  • Outrage
Why This Pokemon: Flygon is my favorite pokemon. It has great typing and synergy with almost everything and everyone always assumes it to be scarfed, which I use to my advantage.

Why This Set: Like I said, everyone thinks Flygon will be scarfed. This lets me take advantage of the extra damage until they catch on. CBgon is pretty good later in the game once Salamence has weakened the opposing team and the Steel-types are all hurt or dead. CB Dragon Claw is more powerful than a Scarfed Flygon's outrage, so it gets a lot of extra KO's.

---
Threats:
I'm not writing a huge list, just noting some important ones.

• Salamence -
    ~If it comes in on Heatran:
    I can't usually tell if it's DD or MixMence in this case. I'll probably switch straight to Swampert. If it's MixMence, Swampert will die, then I'll switch Heatran back in to revenge. If it's DD Mence, Swampert wins with Ice Beam.
    ~If it comes in on Swampert:
    If Swampert it near full health then it's probably safe to assume it's a MixMence, right? I usually just Ice Beam with Swampert, then revenge with Heatran.
    ~If it comes in on Salamence:
    I'll usually keep Salamence in and just use Draco Meteor, which still OHKO's with -2.
    ~If it comes in on Starmie
    It's probably early in the game and it's coming in on a Hydro Pump. Assuming I still have my scarf, I'll switch to Swampert. If it's DD mence, swampert takes care of it or at least sets up SR so it can't come back in easily if it switches out. If its MixMence then I switch back to Starmie to revenge with Ice Beam.
    ~If if comes in on Flygon
    It'll probably be on an Earthquake, and I'll switch to Swampert, same old same old.
    ~If if comes in on Heracross
    I usually use Bulk Up on the first turn, and it means I'm basically guaranteed to survive one hit. Usually I'll Bulk Up again in case it's DD Mence, so I can still survive an outrage. +1 Megahorn will then do 44.1% - 52% which leaves it pretty low after SR so that it at least wont sweep my entire team thanks to life orb.
    Obviously I rely on Heatran and Swampert a lot to counter Mence.
  • My internet is sucking at the moment so I'll add more later.

Changes?
  • I'm strongly considering switching Dragon Pulse on Heatran for HP Ice to better counter the dragons when I have no Stealth Rock. I think the loss of neutral coverage is acceptable to better counter Mence.
  • The EV spreads could probably be better. Any help with that?

I really hate to tell you this just because of the fact that everyone likes Dragonite as opposed to Salamence, but he is better. Especially in mixed sets such as yours. Salamence hits harder in every area except for fighting type attacks (but blissey is still taken out by brick break). Other than that, your team is very balanced and has no glaring weakness (none that I can see at least). I do worry about heracross though. He is a bit slow. Also I'm just throwin' something out here but CB Tyranitar can handle Zapdos, Heatran, Skarmory, and can kill mence on the switch all while absorbing flying attacks. It does come at the cost of having to deal with Sand Storm, but Tyranitar is so common now-a-days it probably won't matter significantly.

Now that I think about it.... I really don't know why I have Dragonite over Salamence. I was testing out the dragonite set and it worked pretty well so I kept it. I never really thought about whether salamence was better in this situation. I guess I'll switch it. Thanks. ^^

EDIT: With further thought, I feel like Dragonite has more Super Effective coverage and that somewhat makes up for the lack of power and speed. However I'll still try it with Mence.

I think I'll leave out Tyranitar for now. As much as I love CB Tar, I'd like to avoid the Sandstorm.

Good stuff here, I'd just like to point out some changes that you should implement.

You could really use Stealth Rocks, they'd help you get alot of KOs. So I'd change Heatran from a Scarfer to ShucaTran.
Timid@Shuca Berry, 252 SAtk/252 Spe/4 HP. Stealth Rock/Fire Blast/Earth Power/HP Grass. This lets you still beat other Trans, get up rocks, and gives you something to hit Swampert, who otherwise gives you hell.

Otherwise, good job.

I dont really like the idea of you using Choice Scarf Starmie (even if you are gonna trick it..) as well as scarftran and scarf flygon..

Plus ideally you need a second pokemon to take those nasty ice attacks.

BKC, swampert has SR. >.> Also the Dragonite that I originally had in place of Mence had HP Grass >.>

Aeolian, Starmie and Heatran both take ice attacks. In addition, Heracross takes most ice attacks pretty well, especially from bulky waters which it can set up on.
Also, Flygon is banded.

I don't see a problem with three choice users when one has U-Turn and another has trick.
But what would you recommend I change?

Changes?
  • I'm strongly considering switching Dragon Pulse on Heatran for HP Ice to better counter the dragons when I have no Stealth Rock. I think the loss of neutral coverage is acceptable to better counter Mence.
Uh, I can't really think of a situation off the top of my head (maybe Starmie in Hydro Pump, Swampert @ 70%+) but if Kingdra can DD on you what will you use to stop it? It appears the best handle you have on the situation is to bait it into Outrage before killing it with Heatran's Dragon Pulse. Starmie can only do 30-39% to it with Ice Beam so that probably isn't an option.

At +1/+1 Kingdra outspeeds everything but Starmie and can KO everything on your team. Salamence can Intimidate it but Kingdra can faint it / 2HKO a Swampert switch-in. Oh just thought of this but SubDD Kingdra will avoid Intimidate and allow a boost. With Lefties it can get 2 boosts versus a starmie man that would suck but it would also need to Outrage to KO some things which is why I am thinking baiting Outrage is the only way you can beat Kingdra. I might be wrong though so please let me know if I am lol. (Also I am too lazy to properly type this :P)

So I would think that keeping Dragon Pulse would be a good idea. Also you outrun and KO (with SR) Choice Band Flygon, MixNite, and Classic / New MixMence, the Dragons you'll outspeed. On the chance DDNite/Mence don't boost you still KO them with SR. And finally Choice Scarf Flygon will beat Heatran no matter what. That's my thoughts on the matter. I can't really help you with the team because I suck at Pokemon ;)

Edit: Oh I thought of something. If you don't get up Stealth Rock and Salamence comes out early, you'll probably end up going to Starmie since it will probably be alive still. Something else, if a team is dedicated to a Salamence sweep with a spinner and taunt lead, it shouldn't be hard to keep rocks off the field. Lacking a ghost, something like Starmie can come in on Swampert and threaten it with Grass Knot and spin on the switch possibly. While HP Ice may be helpful for those situations where you don't have rocks up, Dragon Pulse will probably be a better option. Also considering Salamence can't come in on any attacking move bar Earthquake, it shouldn't be hard to do 25% to Salamence where Dragon Pulse can kill it, I wouldn't think. I would also think keeping a check to Kingdra would be reason enough. But I don't really know since I haven't played with the team (although I may steal it and modify it because I want to try out Heracross [and I'll give credit if anyone asks about it :)])

Thanks.
I must've missed Kingdra when going through threats to this team, cause it's a big one..
It's probably reason enough to keep Dragon Pulse.
But Mixed Rain Dance Kindgra demolishes me. Dx
Starmie does 34.4% - 40.5% with Ice Beam and forces it to DM.
Then Swampert still takes 42.6% - 50.5% from a Waterfall, even though I can finish it off with Earthquake.
It still leaves me in horrible shape if Salamence decides to show up.
And I don't care if you use my team at all. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)