Lower Tiers [Outdated 2019 ver.] GSC NU Viability Ranking

GSC NU Viability Ranking

After the conclusion of the recent GSC NU Tournament and the end of the rotational GSC NU ladder's month, a public survey was conducted to help form an initial viability ranking for the refreshed GSC NU tier. I have weighted each user's response based on performance in the NU tournament and on the NU ladder, then averaged the weighted responses to form the following rankings.

S Rank:

S
Raichu

A Rank:

A+
Weezing
Dugtrio
Xatu

A
Graveler
Fearow
Pineco
Poliwrath
Primeape
Wigglytuff
Lickitung

A-
Hitmonlee
Rapidash
Stantler
Sudowoodo
Flareon
Kingler
Golduck

B Rank:

B+
Gastly
Persian
Arbok
Ninetales
Pidgeot
Magmar

B
Tangela
Parasect
Venomoth
Hitmontop
Exeggcute

B-
Hitmonchan
Dunsparce
Dewgong
Cubone
Raticate
Ivysaur

C Rank:

C+
Bayleef
Mantine
Octillery
Noctowl
Dragonair
Shuckle
Sneasel
Azumarill

C
Delibird
Porygon
Ariados
Poliwhirl
Sunflora
Murkrow
Machoke

C-
Farfetch'd
Gloom
Golbat
Abra
Seaking
Beedrill
Seadra
Aipom
Ledian

Togetic
Voltorb
Charmeleon
Corsola
Pupitar
Weepinbell
Magcargo
Magnemite
Houndour
Onix
Rhyhorn
Wobbuffet
Butterfree
Snubbull
Skiploom

Thanks to poh, Rabia, Eo Ut Mortus, Finchinator, Bughouse, GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA, xJoelituh, King Roma, DurzaOffTopic, Red Sea Pedestrian, Sinkyr, Century Express, and FriendOfMrGolem120 for their input. I'm looking forward to further discussion regarding the tier and how it develops post-Feraligatr. Feel free to post if you think anything has been overrated or underrated.
04/01/2019 - Initial GSC NU VR created
22/01/2019 - First update

Last edited:
Noms
Agility passers (Ariados, Aipom, Ledian) to C+/B-
The niche they offer is pretty great and they can steamroll teams: pair very well with belly drummers

Golduck: B+ -> A-
With Feraligatr gone, Golduck is by far the best Water type in the tier, and while it's nowhere near as good as gatr was, its higher special attack, speed and access to hypnosis still give it a pretty good role as an attacker, given it's coverage

Dugtrio: A -> A+
This thing's kinda broken tbh
It's the fastest thing in the tier by a large margine, and with feraligatr gone it has really few checks and no counters (even raichu has counters, namely this thing and the next nom)
It also doesn't get 0hko'd by surf raichu on the switch in, and the substitute set can easily come in on any resttalk set and have a pretty good chance of not getting hit by surf (if it runs it)
Even if you switch the raichu out for a flying type, you can just screech and (if it hits), force a switch out again
I like to run both those moves instead of Sludge Bomb, but the fact that it has access to that (and that most people run it) make it truly hard to stop, at best there's the tanky normals, parasect and tanky fightings, but even they get chipped twice by subtrio before the switch out, and they can be forced out by screech

Rapidash: A- -> A
Imo the best lead in the tier after pineco
I ran Fire blast, Sunny day, Hypnosis and Substitute
Basically you wanna substitute to avoid getting exploded on or surfed on, then go sunny day to counter non HP ground raichu
Fire blast is it's bread and butter, and hypnosis is always nice to have but you can switch it out for double edge or HP ground

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Dugtrio should move up to A+. I would personally put it above Xatu, but below Weezing, but I think you can argue for just about any order of the three. Xatu is pesky Pokemon to face that offers quite a bit in terms of offensive utility (I personally prefer a Thief variant), Weezing is a phenomenal non-passive tank that almost always carries its weight in the long-haul while also walling a significant portion of the physically attacking metagame, and Dugtrio is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame while hitting decently hard with reliable Ground (STAB) + Rock coverage and other utility options for extra inconvenience being added to potential checks/counters attempting to put a stop to Dugtrio. I have not played much at all since the Gatr ban, but that has to have made Dugtrio significantly better as Rest Gatr was the main full-stop to Dugtrio, leaving it much less consistently checked unless some Grass types suddenly pick up, which also will likely be less convenient to use with the lack of Gatr in the current metagame, too. Overall, I think all three of these are "top tier" and despite clearly being below Raichu, are the undeniable #2-4 in the metagame, being a notch above the number of respectable A rank options.

Pineco should move up in A rank, but not quite to A+ rank. I know that inter-rank order does not matter a ton, but I see that it is numbered and I think that Pineco belongs above everything currently in A besides Graveler. It is not exactly a "good" Pokemon -- hell, it takes a metric fuckton from most special attacks and generates direct offense only through Explosion or pathetic chip/crippling, essentially. HOWEVER, it has the godsend known as Spikes, which shoots it up the ranks all the way to near the top of A, imo. Spikes teams are pretty solid, needless to say, and Pineco is a staple on them. It also provides general utility of course and can even Explode in a pinch, so I guess that's neat, too. Anyway, I am just pretty fond of these Pineco offenses and how a Spike can pressure things, especially when paired with Toxic/Roar throughout the team, which is something I personally frequented during the GSC NU tournament.

Poliwrath should move down below Kingler in A- or all the way to B+. I really think that Kingler and Golduck provide more consistent offensive presences than Poliwrath and the role of defensive-behemoth left the realm of Water types with Gatr getting banned, seeing as it was unparalleled and the tier has other defensive measures we can now frequent with alternative cores probably, ideally measures that do not invite in Raichu and enable Xatu as much. I have only used Poliwrath on one team, but it was generally underwhelming and I found myself consistently threatened by opposing Kingler, who perhaps is underrated simply due to relatively small sample size (or maybe my teams were not sufficiently prepared for it? I'm not sure, but maybe a larger sample size over time will give me a more surefire direction on this front).

Gastly should move up to A-. Ok, I get that it's fucking Gastly. It's a pretty pathetic Pokemon. Ridiculously frail, not nearly as offensively potent as either of its evolutions, and just incapable of getting many kills individually. However, when paired with Spikes and status/crippling (i.e: Thief and/or significant chip), then it can really be a menace later in games given its speed tier and coverage. It also blocks Rapid Spin, making it a noteworthy option and natural synergetic pick to throw on Pineco Spikes offensive teams that I alluded to before. I think that it is more practical a pick than anything that currently resides in B+ and honestly is on par with the Fire types near the bottom of A-.

Noms
Agility passers (Ariados, Aipom, Ledian) to C+/B-
The niche they offer is pretty great and they can steamroll teams: pair very well with belly drummers
I haven't seen sufficient evidence to suggest this is true yet. In the tournament stats, Aipom and Ariados only won 1/3 games each and Ledian won the single game it was used in. To be fair though, most other B- or C+ Pokemon had equally bad (or worse) showings.

Golduck: B+ -> A-
With Feraligatr gone, Golduck is by far the best Water type in the tier, and while it's nowhere near as good as gatr was, its higher special attack, speed and access to hypnosis still give it a pretty good role as an attacker, given it's coverage
I disagree with your first assertion, I think Poliwrath is better. However, I don't oppose to potentially moving it up, since there are fewer answers to it than before.

Rapidash: A- -> A
Imo the best lead in the tier after pineco
I ran Fire blast, Sunny day, Hypnosis and Substitute
Basically you wanna substitute to avoid getting exploded on or surfed on, then go sunny day to counter non HP ground raichu
Fire blast is it's bread and butter, and hypnosis is always nice to have but you can switch it out for double edge or HP ground
I don't think it's quite A material, but I would support this moving up above Kingler, Flareon, and Sudowoodo.

Dugtrio: A -> A+
This thing's kinda broken tbh
It's the fastest thing in the tier by a large margine, and with feraligatr gone it has really few checks and no counters (even raichu has counters, namely this thing and the next nom)
It also doesn't get 0hko'd by surf raichu on the switch in, and the substitute set can easily come in on any resttalk set and have a pretty good chance of not getting hit by surf (if it runs it)
Even if you switch the raichu out for a flying type, you can just screech and (if it hits), force a switch out again
I like to run both those moves instead of Sludge Bomb, but the fact that it has access to that (and that most people run it) make it truly hard to stop, at best there's the tanky normals, parasect and tanky fightings, but even they get chipped twice by subtrio before the switch out, and they can be forced out by screech
Dugtrio should move up to A+. I would personally put it above Xatu, but below Weezing, but I think you can argue for just about any order of the three. Xatu is pesky Pokemon to face that offers quite a bit in terms of offensive utility (I personally prefer a Thief variant), Weezing is a phenomenal non-passive tank that almost always carries its weight in the long-haul while also walling a significant portion of the physically attacking metagame, and Dugtrio is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame while hitting decently hard with reliable Ground (STAB) + Rock coverage and other utility options for extra inconvenience being added to potential checks/counters attempting to put a stop to Dugtrio. I have not played much at all since the Gatr ban, but that has to have made Dugtrio significantly better as Rest Gatr was the main full-stop to Dugtrio, leaving it much less consistently checked unless some Grass types suddenly pick up, which also will likely be less convenient to use with the lack of Gatr in the current metagame, too. Overall, I think all three of these are "top tier" and despite clearly being below Raichu, are the undeniable #2-4 in the metagame, being a notch above the number of respectable A rank options.
I totally agree, Dugtrio is excellent right now. It was already good and the Gatr ban made it even better.
Pineco should move up in A rank, but not quite to A+ rank. I know that inter-rank order does not matter a ton, but I see that it is numbered and I think that Pineco belongs above everything currently in A besides Graveler. It is not exactly a "good" Pokemon -- hell, it takes a metric fuckton from most special attacks and generates direct offense only through Explosion or pathetic chip/crippling, essentially. HOWEVER, it has the godsend known as Spikes, which shoots it up the ranks all the way to near the top of A, imo. Spikes teams are pretty solid, needless to say, and Pineco is a staple on them. It also provides general utility of course and can even Explode in a pinch, so I guess that's neat, too. Anyway, I am just pretty fond of these Pineco offenses and how a Spike can pressure things, especially when paired with Toxic/Roar throughout the team, which is something I personally frequented during the GSC NU tournament.
I think you are probably right, since the best physical wall is now gone and Pineco takes advantage of physical attackers. I don't object to this change.
Poliwrath should move down below Kingler in A- or all the way to B+. I really think that Kingler and Golduck provide more consistent offensive presences than Poliwrath and the role of defensive-behemoth left the realm of Water types with Gatr getting banned, seeing as it was unparalleled and the tier has other defensive measures we can now frequent with alternative cores probably, ideally measures that do not invite in Raichu and enable Xatu as much. I have only used Poliwrath on one team, but it was generally underwhelming and I found myself consistently threatened by opposing Kingler, who perhaps is underrated simply due to relatively small sample size (or maybe my teams were not sufficiently prepared for it? I'm not sure, but maybe a larger sample size over time will give me a more surefire direction on this front).
I strongly disagree here, defensive Poliwrath is good enough that it's more deserving of a rise more than a drop.
Gastly should move up to A-. Ok, I get that it's fucking Gastly. It's a pretty pathetic Pokemon. Ridiculously frail, not nearly as offensively potent as either of its evolutions, and just incapable of getting many kills individually. However, when paired with Spikes and status/crippling (i.e: Thief and/or significant chip), then it can really be a menace later in games given its speed tier and coverage. It also blocks Rapid Spin, making it a noteworthy option and natural synergetic pick to throw on Pineco Spikes offensive teams that I alluded to before. I think that it is more practical a pick than anything that currently resides in B+ and honestly is on par with the Fire types near the bottom of A-.
I think the improvement of several Pokemon Gastly is bad against (especially Dugtrio) will mean that we should wait and see on this one, although it's very useful to have against Pineco.

Other Pokemon that have improved post-Gatr ban
(these are not being moved yet - proposed movements in brackets)

Fearow (move up to below Graveler, A)
Gatr being replaced by Poliwrath on teams with more defensive cores strongly benefits Fearow. It seems especially effective with RestTalk, but could use Thief or Sub or HP Grass etc.

Poliwrath (move up to above Primeape, A)
Poliwrath is a very good replacement for Gatr on more defensive teams. It even has a better SpDef stat than Gatr had. It can use Restalk Surf Toxic or Restalk Surf EQ just like Gatr, although it has lower SpA and the meta can take advantage of it more due to Fighting typing, so it does not deserve S rank. It is a crucial presence for fighting the rise of Dugtrio.

Stantler (move up to above Sudowoodo, A-)
Stantler was underrated even before the Gatr ban, but Poliwrath replacing Gatr also benefits it. Stantler was probably slightly mismatched against Gatr, whereas it crushes Poliwrath in a RestTalk battle. Fearow kind of stomps it 1v1 though, and it's not so good against Pineco.

Pidgeot (move up to above Magmar, B+)
Pidgeot is both relatively powerful offensively and also valuable defensively, being (I think?) the EQ immune Pokemon that takes the least from Dugtrio's Rock Slide. While Gatr Surf 3HKOed if Pidgeot took a bit of D-E recoil, Poliwrath doesn't come close. Meanwhile, Magmar is even more useless with Poliwrath around more, since it tanks Tpunch even better than Gatr did.

Ivysaur (move to B-, and move Bayleef to C+ or lower)
I am not really sure how Bayleef ended up this much higher than Ivysaur, but I think Ivysaur is the better of the two thanks to its beneficial Poison typing. Most Dugtrio sets are better against Bayleef anyway (Sub Toxic or Sub SBomb).

Exeggcute (move to B-)
Exeggcute is one of the best Grass-types right now in my opinion. Despite its stats being on the low side, Psychic STAB and Explosion give it something that separates it from the rest, especially now that it has Poliwrath to take advantage of.

I'll be back with more once I've had an opportunity to play more.

A few things I'd like to nom after playing some more games:

Poliwrath should be above wigglytuff or primeape, i think that thing is actually fantastic and it almost feels like a gatr replacement, can always move up again after we have more data. (4th can be Haze/toxic/eq) bulk is good, weakness to fearow makes it worse than gatr though.

Golduck is suprisingly strong and water is a solid defensive typing. rn I'm using hypnosis 3 attacks w mystic water which does stuff like 2 hit stantler, 3 hit poliwrath. I can see it move up to somewhere around gastly.

Stantler is sick. the bulk is suprisingly great and normal+ground paired with its natural power just works. Mid A- region I'd say.

enough from me for now

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I strongly agree on exeggcute being moved up, I'd even pose the question if it's a better grass type than Tangela. Not only does it have a plethora of support options in 2 powders and thief, it packs quite a punch with a superior secondary stab and the boom very reliably hits top defensive threats of the tier, namely xatu and weezing. It's very easy to draw out a gameplan around sth like primeape or hitmonlee with eggy being a reliable way to remove their checks. Poliwrath commonly not carrying an ice move helps immensely here, giving it actual defensive utility despite shitty stats. I'd say the pivoting potential since it packs a punch and threatens explosion puts it above tangela too, it definitely puts it above bayleef and ivysaur for me, who let in common heavy hitters like weezing or raichu without much punishment and they barely check raichu either to begin with.

I've made the first update to the VR based on the above posts.
Summary:
  • Dugtrio from rank 4 to rank 3, A to A+
  • Fearow from rank 10 to rank 6, remains A
  • Pineco from rank 8 to rank 7, remains A
  • Poliwrath from rank 13 to rank 8, A- to A
  • Rapidash from rank 16 to rank 13, remains A-
  • Stantler from rank 18 to rank 14, B+ to A-
  • Golduck from rank 23 to rank 18, B+ to A-
  • Pidgeot from rank 25 to rank 23, B to B+
  • Exeggcute from rank 41 to rank 29, C+ to B
  • Bayleef from rank 29 to rank 36, B- to C+
  • Ivysaur remains rank 35, C+ to B-
  • Aipom from rank 63 to 58, D to C-
-
-
+1
-
+4
+1
+5
+3
+4
+5
+2
-
-
-
+12
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
+5
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Arbok is undervalued here. While it is generally speaking worse than Weezing, access to Glare and Earthquake let it do things Weezing cannot. It's almost like a cross between Weezing and Lickitung (for its access to EQ to get around would be counters, but also beating Hitmons/Primeape.)

For example, EQ is a straight up 2HKO on Raichu, while Thunder is not. This means that technically speaking... Arbok 1v1s Raichu, barring 3 Thunders hitting and one of the first two paraing + a FP.
+1 EQ 2HKOs Graveler. Graveler's EQ 2HKOs back, but -1 Arbok is still faster. (nearly a 2hko guarantee on Sudowoodo and Weezing as well. Like 90% on Sudo and 98% on Weezing.)
Glare punishes Dugtrio and Xatu in particular, since they heavily rely on their speed.

I also think that Exeggcute is STILL undervalued. I'd agree with Beds that it's better than Tangela. Psychic stab is great for taking down things like a chipped Weezing that needs to think twice before just clicking Sludge Bomb as well as defensively for resisting things like Hitmon's HJK. And then of course there's explosion.

Exeggcute Explosion vs. Raichu: 307-361 (95 - 111.7%) -- 69.2% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
Exeggcute Explosion vs. Xatu: 268-316 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Exeggcute Explosion vs. Wigglytuff: 339-399 (70.1 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Exeggcute Explosion vs. Lickitung: 257-303 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Arbok's big problems are Restalk Xatu and Pineco. Pineco is a really tricky Pokemon to handle. You don't want your Rock-type taking Toxic generally, and you can't afford to let it get Spikes up AND KO something with Explosion. Similarly, if you have your own Pineco and the enemy Pineco has Rapid Spin, it's an incredibly daunting prospect to have to allow Pineco in because you have a weak-ish physical attacker that allows it in and the opponent doesn't. RestTalk Xatu just obliterates Arbok in pretty much every way, unfortunately. Dugtrio is also somewhat of a problem, although it is absolutely horrible for Dugtrio if it gets paralysed.

Exeggcute is quite decent, but I think it can struggle to do much without exploding at times. Its longevity is not anywhere near Tangela's either, especially when Spikes are up. I'd be willing to move it above Hitmontop and Parasect, but I think no further for now.

Pidgeot I think deserves a further rise. It's really strong and a very solid anti-Dugtrio pick, despite having to risk flinches. I am not sure exactly how far it should go up, but I am leaning towards putting it in A- somewhere.

Shuckle I feel could potentially be worthy of moving into B-. It's great for shutting down the numerous strong Normal- and Poison-types, despite suffering against Night Shade Xatu and Seismic Toss Raichu. Feraligatr leaving benefits it as well.

Having seen more of Ivysaur, I think I had been overrating it a bit, especially after seeing exactly how well it fares against Dugtrio and Weezing (not very well). It probably belongs in C+.

Hitmonchan is really lacking in a relevant niche. I am tempted to move it down into C+. Does anyone have any positive things to say about it?

Poliwrath is great and I would support moving it to the top of A. Meanwhile, Graveler I think is a bit high too high up now, with more and more techs appearing for it (HP Grass Weezing / Fearow) and Surf Raichu on the way back up with its ability to CH opposing Raichu unlike SToss.

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
ahoy...Mr. Lotuspirate has asked me to post in this thread so here I am.

IMO Dugtrio should be above Weezing in the rankings. There are a couple reasons why.
  • Speed. The fastest Pokemon in GSC NU is so valuable for all types of teams. Most importantly, outspeeding Raichu, Rapidash, and Ninetales, and less importantly outspeeding Raticate, Sneasel, and a few Flying-types is an incredibly important niche due to the massively threatening presence these Pokemon all have in the battle.
  • Solid answers to Raichu is of such critical importance when building a GSC NU team that it deserves its own bullet. Without solid checks, it will Thunder all over your team. Dugtrio can come in on a Thunder, threaten it out and get valuable chip with Earthquake, force a strong position with Substitute, and be a big threat with its options.
  • Not only Raichu, it checks Fire-types, Rock-types, and Poison-types very capably.
  • EdgeQuake is very hard for teams lacking a Grass-type to deal with and only Poliwrath can consistently check it outside of Grasses.
Weezing is fine, still incredibly good, but doesn't deal with Raichu or Dugtrio well and suffers vs random special attackers and Rock-types. The Fighting resist that all teams need is still invaluable, I just think Dugtrio is a bit better.

Gastly should be at the bottom of A-, I've used it a ton and the threat of Hypnosis + Explosion usually claims at least a life a game. Psychic + Tbolt is fine coverage and gets the job done. You can run Thief and stuff but I've found that to be *generally* worse than just Hypno + Boom. You can deny Spikes from lead Miracle Pineco with a Boom, leaving it at approx. 25% and can be followed up with any hard hitting threat. The speed tier is a bit lackluster, and you can't really switch into anything at all given it's frail bulk and omnipresence of HP Ground and other Ground-type moves, but despite this very serviceable.

I fully support an Exeggcute rise, I've used it on my Offense teams and it gets the job done similar to Gastly. Not sure how much it should rise, though.

Golduck seems better than Kingler but I'm not really sure.

Gloom & Sunflora are really bad and should drop very far.

I really can't say much about the lower tier Pokes; I don't think they're very good. There are barely any down there with a justifiable niche to me.

Last edited:
when is this gonna be updated after Raichu,Poliwrath and Golduck being banned?
Probably next time GSC NU comes up and there are enough players to establish a meta like the raichu meta had

Then again, didn't play in the post raichu meta, idk how many people played, i assume less, tier seemed a lot less cool without raichu and feraligatr around

Probably next time GSC NU comes up and there are enough players to establish a meta like the raichu meta had

Then again, didn't play in the post raichu meta, idk how many people played, i assume less, tier seemed a lot less cool without raichu and feraligatr around
The meta has significantly improved with those two gone in my opinion. There is much less need to rely on Raichu vs Raichu to get anywhere and stall is not nearly as dominant. Strategies are more varied and the tier is quite offensive. I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

CentaurMM6 I'm going to attempt to make a new VR sometime soon.

The meta has significantly improved with those two gone in my opinion. There is much less need to rely on Raichu vs Raichu to get anywhere and stall is not nearly as dominant. Strategies are more varied and the tier is quite offensive. I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

CentaurMM6 I'm going to attempt to make a new VR sometime soon.
Regardless of how the tier plays, if it doesn't look cool it's hard to get people playing

I was out of the game in general btw, back then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)