Pokémon Palafin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ema Skye

Work!

Palafin
Type: Water
Ability: Zero To Hero (After switching out, it transforms into Hero Form)
Stats:
Zero Form: 100/70/72/53/62/100
Hero Form: 100/160/97/106/87/100

Movepool
Physical: Jet Punch*, Liquidation, Wave Crash*, Close Combat, Ice Punch, Flip Turn, Zen Headbutt, Tera Blast
Special: Grass Knot

Jet Punch: 60BP, Water, +1 priority
Wave Crash: 120BP, Water, 33% recoil

Pros
- beefy attack stat and a sizeable bulk increase once Hero Form is activated
- strong priority compliments the attack stat
- speed tier is acceptable

Cons
- difficult to bring in while in Zero form
- walled by nearly all bulky Waters due to coverage gaps

Terastalizing
- Water Tera is quite valuable for the extra punch on its Water STAB
- Grass or Electric can help it navigate around bulky Waters that check it

Potential Set
Palafin @ Choice Band
Ability: Zero to Hero
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Jet Punch
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt / Grass Knot

Flip Turn allows it to get out as a fast pivot to activate the ability. CB Jet Punch is a strong cleaning option backed off of its attack stat, especially with Tera Water. Last two slots are primarily for dealing with Slowtwins, Toxapex and Gastrodon; CC is its strongest coverage move. Zen covers Pex while Grass Knot is its only way to hit Slowtwins. Realistically though, you're better off Flip Turning on them.

I’m tempted to build a team with Jaw Lock primal-Mence (forgot name) so that I can lead with it when I see one of these guys on the other team just to be mean. Most players lead with Palafin so they can flip turn immediately anyway

Last edited:
another potential set can be a setup - sweeper set , with bulk up , jet punch , drain punch ( or close combat ) and some thing like tera blast perhaps ,

(Don’t mind me casually stealing my own post) I mean, I’m sure this has been talked about to death, but I want to post about the Blue Hero anyway, and a set that I think has a niche in this chaotic meta.

:Palafin-Hero: Palafin-Hero :Palafin-Hero:

Tera Sweeper

Palafin-Hero @ Punching Glove
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Jet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

The anti sweeper sweeping mon, Palafin-Hero boasts a jaw-dropping 160 base attack, comparable to the power of Hoopa-Unbound and stronger than Groudon, Rayquaza, and even post nerf Zacian-Crowned. Though it has a respectable speed tier with base 100 speed, this set of Palafin-Hero relies on its STAB Jet Punch, a 60 BP priority move which, when combined with Terrastilization, allows it to easily leave a large dent-if not outright kill-threats to your team. Bulk up allows you to develop both a boost to your sky-high attack and your defense, allowing you to survive hits from would-be checks and resists such as :Roaring Moon: Roaring Moon and :Baxcalibur: Baxcalibur.

For these two, Drain Punch serves as an excellent coverage move and a decent recovery option, allowing Palafin-Hero to last longer on the field. Additionally, Ice Punch serves as alternate coverage, with its main target being water absorb :Clodsire: Clodsire. Each of the punching moves get a slight boost from the new item Punching Glove, while also having the benefit of protecting against effects such as Static, Flame Body, and Rocky Helmet.

The main drawback of Palafin-Hero deals with its ability, Zero to Hero. To access Hero Form, Palafin needs to switch out from their :Palafin: Zero Form, a significantly weaker fish. This means that your opponent has a free turn to do whatever they wish; set up, get hazards up, attack into a predicted switch, etc. This leaves two options for this set, either leading and pivoting out to a bulky mon such as :Clodsire: Clodsire, :Corviknight: Corviknight, or :Toxapex: Toxapex, or catching your opponent on a switch, leading you back to another pivot. There’s unfortunately no room for Flip Turn on this particular set, which would’ve made for an otherwise seamless pivot.

Good partners

:Grimmsnarl:

Paladin-Hero appreciates dual screens setup. Grimmsnarl, thanks to its priority screens can come in, get screens up, and parting shot out to bring Palafin-Hero in.

:Clodsire:

Clodsire is built to be a bulky special wall, but importantly it handles Grass and Electric types that would otherwise threaten a Palafin that isn’t set up yet or is otherwise walled. Clodsire can also double as a hazard setter, allowing Palafin to claim more one hit kills.

Checks/Counters

:Meowscarada:

Meowscarada’s signature Flower Trick is a 70 base power Grass move that always crits and ignores accuracy. This move has a 56% chance to OHKO, which becomes a clean OHKO after rocks. On the other side of it, Jet Punch barely misses out on a 2HKO at +1; you either live and drain/ice punch or die.

Bulky waters: Bulky water mons such as Toxapex, Quagsire, and Slowbro can easily shrug off hits from Palafin-Hero. The first two can easily haze off any boosts and status Palafin in return, shutting down their potential.

:Iron Bundle:

Iron Bundle outspeeds and OHKOs with Freeze-Dry, while resisting Palafin’s priority move. Not much else to say here honestly, you should have Iron Bundle chipped or dead before beginning your sweep.

This mon is very, very silly in terms of how strong it is when it transforms. Personal favorite set is Bulk Up/Taunt/Jet Punch/Drain Punch w/ Leftovers, it's incredibly easy to get set up and very few things have a meaningful counterargument besides Clodsire.

It is a little predictable, in that when you see it in its NU form you know it's immediately going to leave. I don't get people leading with it, because it's the easiest rocks of your life. Feel like the trick there is getting it in later on something more passive like a defensive Corv?

very few things have a meaningful counterargument besides Clodsire.
As someone who tried countering Palafin with Clodsire, it doesn't consistently work. Most of the sets I had were too passive for the Bulk Up set. So even though you are immune to water and resist the Drain Punch, it still winds up eventually healing more than the damage dealt enough to get set up to sweep. I did run Toxic Spikes over Toxic, though.

Zen Headbutt also wrecks it for those that run it. It's pretty easy for someone to throw out this Palafin and predict Clodsire knowing that the opponent has to put in the water resist or immunity.

(Don’t mind me casually stealing my own post) I mean, I’m sure this has been talked about to death, but I want to post about the Blue Hero anyway, and a set that I think has a niche in this chaotic meta.

:Palafin-Hero: Palafin-Hero :Palafin-Hero:

Tera Sweeper

Palafin-Hero @ Punching Glove
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Jet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

The anti sweeper sweeping mon, Palafin-Hero boasts a jaw-dropping 160 base attack, comparable to the power of Hoopa-Unbound and stronger than Groudon, Rayquaza, and even post nerf Zacian-Crowned. Though it has a respectable speed tier with base 100 speed, this set of Palafin-Hero relies on its STAB Jet Punch, a 60 BP priority move which, when combined with Terrastilization, allows it to easily leave a large dent-if not outright kill-threats to your team. Bulk up allows you to develop both a boost to your sky-high attack and your defense, allowing you to survive hits from would-be checks and resists such as :Roaring Moon: Roaring Moon and :Baxcalibur: Baxcalibur.

For these two, Drain Punch serves as an excellent coverage move and a decent recovery option, allowing Palafin-Hero to last longer on the field. Additionally, Ice Punch serves as alternate coverage, with its main target being water absorb :Clodsire: Clodsire. Each of the punching moves get a slight boost from the new item Punching Glove, while also having the benefit of protecting against effects such as Static, Flame Body, and Rocky Helmet.

The main drawback of Palafin-Hero deals with its ability, Zero to Hero. To access Hero Form, Palafin needs to switch out from their :Palafin: Zero Form, a significantly weaker fish. This means that your opponent has a free turn to do whatever they wish; set up, get hazards up, attack into a predicted switch, etc. This leaves two options for this set, either leading and pivoting out to a bulky mon such as :Clodsire: Clodsire, :Corviknight: Corviknight, or :Toxapex: Toxapex, or catching your opponent on a switch, leading you back to another pivot. There’s unfortunately no room for Flip Turn on this particular set, which would’ve made for an otherwise seamless pivot.

Good partners

:Grimmsnarl:

Paladin-Hero appreciates dual screens setup. Grimmsnarl, thanks to its priority screens can come in, get screens up, and parting shot out to bring Palafin-Hero in.

:Clodsire:

Clodsire is built to be a bulky special wall, but importantly it handles Grass and Electric types that would otherwise threaten a Palafin that isn’t set up yet or is otherwise walled. Clodsire can also double as a hazard setter, allowing Palafin to claim more one hit kills.

Checks/Counters

:Meowscarada:

Meowscarada’s signature Flower Trick is a 70 base power Grass move that always crits and ignores accuracy. This move has a 56% chance to OHKO, which becomes a clean OHKO after rocks. On the other side of it, Jet Punch barely misses out on a 2HKO at +1; you either live and drain/ice punch or die.

Bulky waters: Bulky water mons such as Toxapex, Quagsire, and Slowbro can easily shrug off hits from Palafin-Hero. The first two can easily haze off any boosts and status Palafin in return, shutting down their potential.

:Iron Bundle:

Iron Bundle outspeeds and OHKOs with Freeze-Dry, while resisting Palafin’s priority move. Not much else to say here honestly, you should have Iron Bundle chipped or dead before beginning your sweep.
is Punching Glove working? cause I saw in item list, It only have 1.1 damage boost. It should be 1.5. My idea is same as yours, but when I saw 1.1, I give up.

I'm not a fan of dropping too many Speed EVs on Bulk Up Palafin, especially Taunt BU Palafin. You still need to outspeed Masquerain to force it to either use Mental Herb or fail to get Sticky Web up, and at that rate, you may as well use the full 252 Speed EVs (when Adamant) to prevent Quaquaval from using Swords Dance.

It is a pretty neat idea to finally be able to lead with Bulk Up Palafin in at least a select few match-ups simply by sticking Taunt on it.

I'm surprised more people not going with the obvious Choice Scarf route, especially since Flip Turn is here.
A base 100 speed is certainly not bad, but it's not good enough to sweep, meanwhile the 160 Attack stat is enough to punch plenty of holes as is. I haven't tried it at all yet myself, but it seems like the easiest way to go, especially since you can have the Zero form not be forced to lead the game. He can come in almost any time and get out safely.
And then Close Combat/Liquidation/IcePunch to round out your coverage.

I do still think the beefy Bulk Up set will have better staying power, but this thing seems like a super easy Choice Scarfer to me.

I'm surprised more people not going with the obvious Choice Scarf route, especially since Flip Turn is here.
A base 100 speed is certainly not bad, but it's not good enough to sweep, meanwhile the 160 Attack stat is enough to punch plenty of holes as is. I haven't tried it at all yet myself, but it seems like the easiest way to go, especially since you can have the Zero form not be forced to lead the game. He can come in almost any time and get out safely.
And then Close Combat/Liquidation/IcePunch to round out your coverage.

I do still think the beefy Bulk Up set will have better staying power, but this thing seems like a super easy Choice Scarfer to me.
I am not sure if you're late to the meta, but Choice scarf was literally the first set that everybody though of. BU is what was discovered after Scarf and Band was explored.

I am not sure if you're late to the meta, but Choice scarf was literally the first set that everybody though of. BU is what was discovered after Scarf and Band was explored.
I am late; haven't played yet and still don't plan to test til I beat the console game first. But it feels like Bulk Up and Scarf have completely different roles and that Scarf definitely has viable usage? Maybe only in lower ladder play, not sure.

I am late; haven't played yet and still don't plan to test til I beat the console game first. But it feels like Bulk Up and Scarf have completely different roles and that Scarf definitely has viable usage? Maybe only in lower ladder play, not sure.
BU is incomparably better and has very few viable checks. Scarf however is much more manageable and is mostly popular in low ladder. However BU is now becoming the most popular there as well, since it has almost zero shortcoming.

I don't know if I can call Scarf viable given the massive opportunity cost

As someone who tried countering Palafin with Clodsire, it doesn't consistently work. Most of the sets I had were too passive for the Bulk Up set. So even though you are immune to water and resist the Drain Punch, it still winds up eventually healing more than the damage dealt enough to get set up to sweep. I did run Toxic Spikes over Toxic, though.

Zen Headbutt also wrecks it for those that run it. It's pretty easy for someone to throw out this Palafin and predict Clodsire knowing that the opponent has to put in the water resist or immunity.
Yeah I realized Palafin outpaces it especially with Taunt. It gets scary

Palafin learns Boomburst? Tera Normal Specs Palafin sounds like a lot of fun to catch opponents off guard. Has enough in its movepool as well to go full special with its solid 106 SpA - Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Grass Knot, Focus Blast.

After becoming Tera Normal:
252 SpA Choice Specs Palafin-Hero Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Amoonguss: 322-379 (74.5 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 280-330 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Palafin-Hero Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 214-253 (46.1 - 54.5%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

A mixed set could be useful as well.
0 SpA Life Orb Palafin-Hero Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 221-263 (43.8 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)