XY OU Passive Damage

ok, so basically, I wanted a team that focused on complimenting powerful attacks with passive damage - this is what I wound up with, and what I peaked at 1500 with.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Simple, yet effecvtive. Standard Azumarill, with 1 extra speed to outspeed Donphan. Yes, it has come up. I went with Knock Off over Ice Punch (as much as I'd like to have Ice Punch) to get rid of those pesky leftovers.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

A great lead, assuming I don't lead with Ferrothorn. U-Turn is an amazing scouting move, and Stealth Rock is, well, Stealth rock. EVs are for max bulk to take as many physical hits as possible to abuse my helmet as much as possible.
(thanks to Mekur Lampe for suggesting this over Chompy)

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Standard Bisharp is standard. Knock off for Lefties, Iron head for non-dark attacking, yada yada yada. this is my third line.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

This was originally a Chesnaught, but I found that Iron Barbs is a little more useful than Spiky Shell, or whatever it's called. I've considered Knock Off over Power Whip, but the latter has proven invaluable time and time again against Gliscors. Knock Off, however, would be useful against lead Brelooms that think they can take on my lead Ferrothorns. lousy bastards.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 12 Atk / 248 HP / 248 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

So, after losing Garchomp, I found out what I was missing - a Dragon Tail user. It's not quite as good as actually HAVING a dragon, but it'll do. Dragon Tail is amazing, in that has +1 Priority VS Whirlwind/Roar, so if I'm against a stall team abusing one of the two, I have the advantage (yes, it has come up before). Regenerator also makes Slowking an amazing pivot. EVs are for absolute maximum bulk, and Slowking takes hits like a CHAMP (assuming he stays well away form Knock Off users...Landy and Ferry should discourage touching my mons, though.)

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- HP Ice
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Simple, yet effective. Every move neutralizes a different threat - Poison for fairies, HP for Gliscor (yes, he is a pain), Shadow Ball for STAB, and Focus Miss for Ferrothorn. Levitate is always a welcome addition - I just wish it was easier to switch the bastard in - or there were more viable ghosts (screw Rapid Spin).

I'm having a little trouble with semingly awkward Pokemon - Manectric being the main one. I'm also having trouble with Intimidate spamming (unless Bisharp's in play). Gliscor also gives me issues, though Thorny can usually go toe-to-toe with it.

I'm toying with (Mega?) Tyranitar or Abomasnow, for even more passive damage, but I think I may be heading towards too much of a good thing.

Last edited:

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
Hi there, the team looks good but you need to change some moves and evs.

Change your garchomp's item to focus sash, use max speed and max attack, moveset: Stealth Rock/Earthquake/Fire blast and dragon claw or dual chop.
Fire blast allows it to kill mons like ferrothorn in 2 turns, you don't rocky helmet on it, it already has rough skin, poison jab is not used as well, you need a dragon move for dragon pokemons.

Azumarill is OK.

Change bisharp's moveset to iron head/knock off/sucker punch and swords dance.Give it life orb instead of Dread plate.

Ferrothorn is fine.

Alakazam is fine as well.

Use sludge wave and icy wind on Gengar instead of subsitute and Pain Spit, so this is it, use it like this for some battles, Good luck!Hope i helped!

I actually like Tank Garchomp. I've had very few instances where I've been displeased and, for the most part, I've had little to no trouble with opposing dragons. when they switch in, they usually get Dragon Tail'd back out.

As for Poison Jab, it's actually quite amazing:
0 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 198-234 (71.4 - 84.4%)
0 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 174-206 (50.4 - 59.7%)
0 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 204-242 (52 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It seems underwhelming, but look at it this way: when people see a Garchomp,. they expect a dragon move...as such, they send in their Fairy. Knowing this, I poison Jab, and take a good chunk out of their fairy before switching out. Later, when Chompy's back out, a second Jab (which is easy to outspeed and accomplish) KOs.

I tried LO on Bisharp, and hated it. I got into too many scenarios where I'd have +2, then KO myself with LO recoil. This set, however, lets me spam Sucker Punch until I die from, well, lack of Sucker Punch. I honestly haven't missed the 10% damage reduction at all. Also, 'Zam apparantly needs Pursuit Bisharp. so I need Pursuit for 'Zam, Sucker Punch for STAB, Iron head for coverage, and Knock Off to compliment my team.

I do like the changes to Gengar, though...but why Icy Wind over HP-Ice?

The team looks great with Fairy-Dragon-Steel core, which looks terrifying.
I used exactly the same EV spread for my Azumarill before. That 4 EVs in Speed does something. It looks great. Just to say, now Ice Punch on Azumarill is pretty rare.
Stealth Rock on Garchomp is not that rare. People use it a lot as a lead, but with a Focus Sash. Since you use it for rocks, Max Speed investment is required. Jirachie 's suggestions looks perfect.
For Bisharp, that 4 HP Evs won't help, since it will make your HP an even number, which will make you take more damage from hazards. Put it in Defense or SpD.
Since your Pokemons are pretty bulky on the physical side, how about having mixed bulk on your Ferrothorn? A mixed spread of 252 HP / 88+ Def / 168 SpD might work.
For your Alakazam, again, 4 HP EVs won't help. It will make your HP an even number, and the same for Gengar. Also, for Alakazam and Gengar, use 0 IVs on Attack so you will take less damage from confusions and Foul Plays.
The main reason that an Alakazam runs Shadow Ball is Lati@s, which you are pretty much prepared with Azumarill, Ferrothorn, and a Bisharp with Pursuit. You can switch that into HP Ice, if that's what you need. You can also run HP Fire if you find a trouble with Mega Scizor.

P.S. If you'd like to go with your tank Garchomp, I'd like to recommend using 240 EVs on HP, with Leftovers. That will make you the SR number and the Leftovers number. Since Garchomp doesn't have reliable recovery, it will wear out very quickly without Leftovers.

Last edited:
Merkur_Lampe I like the Chomp changes - but I'm confused somewhat. still Impish? change to Jolly, what? also, 240HP/12DEF/252Spe? w/lefties? I do really like the helmet, but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go, I guess...

I'll give Ferro's spread a try - does it help me survive any particular hits with that spread, or is it just, well, bulkier?

Jirachie I get that...whats I'm having trouble with is trying to figure out why I'm trading 5BP out for a speed drop on something with 350 Speed

Both of them ohko but Icy wind lowers foe's Speed by 1 stage.
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 317-374 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 291-343 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
On specially defensive variants, it might not.

EDIT
Merkur_Lampe I like the Chomp changes - but I'm confused somewhat. still Impish? change to Jolly, what? also, 240HP/12DEF/252Spe? w/lefties? I do really like the helmet, but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go, I guess...

I'll give Ferro's spread a try - does it help me survive any particular hits with that spread, or is it just, well, bulkier?

Jirachie I get that...whats I'm having trouble with is trying to figure out why I'm trading 5BP out for a speed drop on something with 350 Speed
Rocky Helmet can still work, if you switch in correctly. It's up to you. When using bulkier spread, max speed might not work well, so you can keep your speed EVs. That might give you a problem if you get taunted though. When running bulky, you are giving up your power and speed. You have to keep in mind. I'd like to recommend you a Landorus-T with a Rocky Helmet for that job, but since you really like your Garchomp, I am trying to make use of it.. Garchomp with Stealth Rock is usually used as a suicide lead with a Focus Sash.
The Ferro's spread was designed to survive two Ice Beams from Manaphy after a Tail Glow, but that's the most standard EV spread. It doesn't mean that much, since you won't be running into that situation that much.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Just...Okay, this will do many things you want. It's just.. not Garchomp.

Last edited:
my Chomp's rarely taunted, and when it has it's never been an issue. I DO really like the Landorus, and I'll likely give it a try...Intimidate is somethign I do really want...Rocky Helm + Rough Skin, however, is very sexy. especially lategame when I use him as a sacrifice to get another 'mon in safely. I can always move 'Chomp in somewhere else, though. As for him being a lead, he's not a dedicated lead. Certain matchups make me use Ferrothorn as a lead instead, which would make a sash essentially useless in those matches - hence my insistance on Rocky Helm.

What if I were to use a different Chomp, to keep my Drag/Fairy/Steel core, and remove 'Zam instead? In all honesty, he's there because I wanted to try him out. He's cool, but I'm not going to regret the loss of him overmuch - especially when I already have Gengar...

EDIT: Updated - the Garchomp that only I love is gone - a relic of another age...possibly to be revived in teams hence...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)