Format Discussion Past Gens Random Battle Sets

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
I don't know if gen7 battle factory suggestions should go into this post, but i got a Passimian with Receiver instead of Defiant, which basically meant it didn't have an ability
Abilities in gen 7 single formats seem messed up in general. Had an Audino with Healer Instead of Regenerator pre-mega. It didn't even have Wish so it couldn't do much at all.

Gen 7 randbats, Sharpedo-Mega did damage according to attack stat+ability of the mega before Mega evolving. Replay can be found here. (Turn 6)
Lvl 82 84 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Ice Fang vs. Lvl 88 84 HP / 84 Def Lurantis: 150-178 (56.3 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 82 84 Atk Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. Lvl 88 84 HP / 84 Def Lurantis: 90-106 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
The player also said that it had the ability Strong Jaw before mega evolving, but I have no way of verifying this. (Strong is a factor in the Sharpedo-Mega calc though, which is noteworthy).
Edit: What is also noteworthy is that they said it isn't a mega, but it's level matches the Mega Sharpedo set, not the regular one. Regular Sharpedo would also have Speed Boost+LO, which this Sharpedo clearly doesn't. Ice Fang is also only on the mega set according to the Damage calc site.

Gen7 random battle

When playing my last few games of gen7 random, I noticed that pokémon that have yet to mega evolve have their mega evolution abilities.

In the screenshot, you can see the aggron has yet to mega evolve, but it has the filter ability.
blacklax10 vs. jaborticus - Showdown!.png

In these screenshots, you can see that camerupt has the sheer force ability right at the start of the battle. When it switches in, it still has the sheer force ability. When it mega evolves, it has the sheer force ability as expected.
jaborticus vs. PhoenixNoire - Showdown!.png

jaborticus vs. PhoenixNoire - Showdown! 2.png

A9EA5B44-A9FB-44D5-8C6F-897370624018.png

I have noticed this behavior with salamence (before mega evolving, it has the aerialate ability and return is a flying type move) as well as heracross (before mega evolving, it has the skill link ability and pin missile hits 5 times).

Hello !

First, I'd like to mention that the mega-ability before mega-evolving problem is also happening in gen 6 random battles :

aero.png

Also, still in gen 6, there is a problem of mons not having a STAB move, or even no damaging move at all. This is particularly prominent on mono-type mons. Examples below :

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I hope these weren't already brought up before, and thanks for the hard work !

Last edited:
There is a bug where pokemon in gen 7 random battles will have their abilities they would gain after mega evolving.
Me and a friend tested this out some battles.
Drought on normal charizard with keystone to become mega charizard Y. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-1339210218
magic bounce on normal absol :https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-1339218314
Not full proof but here is a battle where every hurricane hit. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-1339208320
it also shows the ability from the mega evolution if u hover the pokemon.

Last edited:
image0.jpg

gen 6 raichu set, not sure what to say here, but focus miss and hp ice? objectively bad set. Please give a stab move and not encore + NP

Last edited:

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
View attachment 340165

Altaria used Return!
It's super effective!
Hey there

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-1339615287

Turn 10, non-Mega Sableye switches, through U-Turn, into Blissey's Toxic and Magic Bounce comes into effect. AFAIK base Sableye can't have Magic Bounce, so...
Please read up, it's an already reported bug and it's being worked on
View attachment 340168
gen 6 raichu set, not sure what to say here, but focus miss and hp ice? objectively bad set. Please give a stab move and not encore + NP
It has been also reported that stabs were broken, but it's being solved soon

View attachment 342181
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3randombattle-1344387815-38x2g3703a472u3735vmpe0am77dwlapw
Why is Skarmory without spikes a thing? you could probably just remove rest talk tbh, all of toxic/roar/spikes/drill peck is too important.
Yeah rn gen3 rands situation in general is a mystery, sometimes it generates so great sets like the swellow and yanma ones, but sometimes it can generate sets like toxic+tw blissey without seismic toss or choice band swalot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)