Format Discussion Past Gens Random Battle Sets

Hello !

I would like to know why Delphox's ability of choice in Gen 6 random battles seems to be Magician (or why at least some of them have it). If it only came with itemless sets, then why not, but that's currently not the case and I struggle to see how Magician is a better choice than Blaze. The latter is not a great ability by any means, but it still feels like it's better than having to eat a Knock Off with your Delphox (!) to be useful.

Thanks !

Sans titre.png

Hello !

I would like to know why Delphox's ability of choice in Gen 6 random battles seems to be Magician (or why at least some of them have it). If it only came with itemless sets, then why not, but that's currently not the case and I struggle to see how Magician is a better choice than Blaze. The latter is not a great ability by any means, but it still feels like it's better than having to eat a Knock Off with your Delphox (!) to be useful.

Thanks !

View attachment 348158
agreed i like more the extra power of blace and delphox doesn't resist knock off too well

Colteor

Free old gens in WCOP
is a Pre-Contributor
RoAPL Champion
If anything Magician is actually a downside on Delphox, since it gets switcheroo. Say you switch a scarf onto some wall/support mon like Lickilicky and then it uses knock off. The next time you attack it the scarf is removed and it can switch moves again, defeating the purpose of switcheroo in the first place.

Colteor

Free old gens in WCOP
is a Pre-Contributor
RoAPL Champion
The regular pp of it is 40, which normally goes to 64 pp after using pp ups on it. But a gen 1 (and maybe 2?) glitch causes it to max out at 61 for some reason.

Hello, I have a few questions regarding some stuff I thought were somewhat weird. Mostly not bugs, just choices that I think are not the best ones, but it's clearly open to discussion.

First, gen 3 :

Below is a Furret set with Reversal. Wouldn't Return be more relevant than Double-Edge on such a set ? I get it doesn't have Endure, but the point still seems to try to get to low HP with subs and then "sweep" from there. However, considering Furret's abysmal stats, D-E is probably better when not using Reversal, but I don't know if this kind of condition can be easily implemented.
Double-edge.PNG

This one actually seems to be a bug : Snow Cloak shouldn't be listed as an ability when it's gen 3. That said, I don't know if it's a known issue (and if that's the case, sorry for brining it up again), or if it affects other abilities introduced in gen 4 (Lugia didn't have Multiscale listed so it probably doesn't affect anything post-gen 4).
Snow_cloak.png

On to gen 5 :

Shouldn't a Pokémon with only Foul Play as an attacking move have its attack reduced to the max for Foul Play- and confusion-related reasons, just like specially-attacking Pokémon ? Maybe I'm missing a mechanic here, but it seems to me that Murkrow here will never get to actually use its attack stat. (Dark Pulse listed as a move is because of a Zoroark on my team, which was already revealed and KOed, which I guess is kind of an issue too, though it feels less problematic).
Foul_play.jpg

Finally, this is from a turn when my opponent revealed a Tentacruel alongside its Kyogre, and said Tentacruel didn't have Rain Dish. Wouldn't it be possible to take into account whether a team features weather setters when attributing certain Pokémon's abilities ? I'm actually pretty sure I've read somewhere that it's already the case, but maybe only in newer gens, though it would make sense even up to gen 3, as Kyogre, Groudon, Ttar, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Sand Veil exist in that gen too.
Rain_dish.png

OK that's all for now, thanks anyway !

Hello, I have a few questions regarding some stuff I thought were somewhat weird. Mostly not bugs, just choices that I think are not the best ones, but it's clearly open to discussion.

First, gen 3 :

Below is a Furret set with Reversal. Wouldn't Return be more relevant than Double-Edge on such a set ? I get it doesn't have Endure, but the point still seems to try to get to low HP with subs and then "sweep" from there. However, considering Furret's abysmal stats, D-E is probably better when not using Reversal, but I don't know if this kind of condition can be easily implemented.
View attachment 356681

This one actually seems to be a bug : Snow Cloak shouldn't be listed as an ability when it's gen 3. That said, I don't know if it's a known issue (and if that's the case, sorry for brining it up again), or if it affects other abilities introduced in gen 4 (Lugia didn't have Multiscale listed so it probably doesn't affect anything post-gen 4).
View attachment 356699

On to gen 5 :

Shouldn't a Pokémon with only Foul Play as an attacking move have its attack reduced to the max for Foul Play- and confusion-related reasons, just like specially-attacking Pokémon ? Maybe I'm missing a mechanic here, but it seems to me that Murkrow here will never get to actually use its attack stat. (Dark Pulse listed as a move is because of a Zoroark on my team, which was already revealed and KOed, which I guess is kind of an issue too, though it feels less problematic).
View attachment 356700

Finally, this is from a turn when my opponent revealed a Tentacruel alongside its Kyogre, and said Tentacruel didn't have Rain Dish. Wouldn't it be possible to take into account whether a team features weather setters when attributing certain Pokémon's abilities ? I'm actually pretty sure I've read somewhere that it's already the case, but maybe only in newer gens, though it would make sense even up to gen 3, as Kyogre, Groudon, Ttar, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Sand Veil exist in that gen too.
View attachment 356701

OK that's all for now, thanks anyway !
I can answer the 2nd and 4th, for you.

Abilities only obtainable in newer gens showing up in past gens is indeed a known issue.

Pokemon generating with weather-compatible abilities with weather-setters DOES occur, as well. However, the weather-setter has to generate on the team before its teammates do. If it is the last mon, for example, its teammates wont generate with compatible abilities.

I can answer the 2nd and 4th, for you.

Abilities only obtainable in newer gens showing up in past gens is indeed a known issue.

Pokemon generating with weather-compatible abilities with weather-setters DOES occur, as well. However, the weather-setter has to generate on the team before its teammates do. If it is the last mon, for example, its teammates wont generate with compatible abilities.
OK, that makes sense, thanks for these !

I was playing a Gen 7 randbat, and somehow ended up with a Mega Pinsir that had Earthquake, Close Combat, Swords Dance, and Quick Attack.

Not only is there no STAB on the base form, but the Mega has only Aerilate Quick Attack which should be in the list of moves that are not supposed to be the only stab move.

I was playing a Gen 7 randbat, and somehow ended up with a Mega Pinsir that had Earthquake, Close Combat, Swords Dance, and Quick Attack.

Not only is there no STAB on the base form, but the Mega has only Aerilate Quick Attack which should be in the list of moves that are not supposed to be the only stab move.
It is completely intentional that Mega Pinsir has no STAB in base form, as having a bug move is highly suboptimal for the mon overall. Additionally, while having Quick Attack as its only Flying move is not ideal, Gen 7 Rands doesn't have the same enforcement as Gen 8. This means many mons, including Mega Pinsir, can generate with a priority move as their only STAB.

Hope this helps explain it.

It is completely intentional that Mega Pinsir has no STAB in base form, as having a bug move is highly suboptimal for the mon overall. Additionally, while having Quick Attack as its only Flying move is not ideal, Gen 7 Rands doesn't have the same enforcement as Gen 8. This means many mons, including Mega Pinsir, can generate with a priority move as their only STAB.

Hope this helps explain it.
Yes, but CC and EQ are redundant and one of them should be replaced with return

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)