SM OU Patchwork needed

Hello! I like this team, but feel like something is missing.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Azumarill has the job of threatening or killing Tyranitar, the primary threat to Latias-Mega. Tapu Fini could also do the job, but weakens Kommo-o's Clangorous Soulblaze / Clanging Scales, which is the secondary setup sweeper. Azumarill also has access to Aqua Jet, preventing potential sweeps. Liquidation and Play Rough hit as STAB. Knock Off helps get rid of choice items and Leftovers. Max HP and Max Atk Adamant helps Azumarill live hits and hit back harder.

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 390-462 (102 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Magnezone is the second support for the team. Magnezone really just does Magnezone things. Magnezone traps and kills Ferrothorn, who can potentially threaten Latias. Mag also traps Scizor and forces it out or kills it if Scizor doesn't have U-Turn. Substitute is used in order to beat Leech Seed+Protect Ferrothorn. HP Fire is needed to kill the prominent Steel-types in the tier while Volt Switch helps you not get setup on by a sweeper. Flash Cannon can be run over Thunderbolt if you would like to hit Landorus-T harder on switch-in.

252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 87-103 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 174-205 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Chople Berry is used in order to live fighting-type moves. Most noticeably, living Modest 252 Magearna's Focus Blast and being able to setup a sub with 10% left. Magnezone also has a fair chance to live Modest All-Out-Pummeling.

252+ SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Magnezone: 157-185 (55.8 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chople Berry Magnezone: 249-293 (88.6 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele is here to revenge kill Ash-Greninja and be a hard-to-switch-in mon. Tapu Lele also stands as the staple fairy-type for this team. Psychic and Moonblast are the standard STAB. Focus Blast hits as super-effective on things like Ferrothorn while HP Fire hits both Ferrothorn and Magearna. Nature's Madness gaurentees 50% chip, given it hits.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab / Flamethrower

Kommo-o is the stealth rock setter and potential late game setup sweeper. Kommo-o has a standard coverage set which hits practically everything in the OU tier for neutral damage. Kommo-o also walls many things due to its typing. It also prevents Volcarona from sweeping due to it resisting STAB Bug Buzz and Fire Blast / Fiery Dance while also taking Neutral damage from Giga Drain and HP Ground. Max Speed and Sp. Atk lets Kommo-o hit hard with Clanging Scales after boosts and let it outrun things like Dragonite and kill through Multiscale. Naive nature allows Kommo-o to still hit hard with Close Combat and Poison Jab. Flamethrower can be run over Poison Jab to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn for 4x effectiveness.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam

Latias-Mega is the main idea for this team. Latias-Mega at +1 can beat Magearna due to its natural special bulk with +1. Latias hits and ohkos most pokemon at +2 due to Stored Power's base power increasing to 100. Thunderbolt is run to hit Mega-Gyarados while Ice Beam hits Landorus-T. 224 HP helps it live general hits, while Max Speed Timid helps it outspeed most of it's threats and roost off any damage. The 32 Defense invest helps it live more physical hits comfortably.

252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. +1 224 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 218-260 (61 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Hasty Nature
- Defog
- Glare
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Serperior was kind of a niche pick at the end. Serperior gets access to Defog and Glare, making it a half support. Serperior also can sweep itself if need be. Leaf Storm is used to raise Serperior's Sp. Atk to 498 due to its ability Contrary, while HP Fire hits its regular threats.

This team lacks: Ground Type, Flying Type

As of the first 10 games played with this team, nothing in particular has threatened me.

Potentially Weak to: Double Dance Lando, Shift Gear Mag

Example Changes: Rotom-Wash can replaced Azumarill, Landorus-Therian can replaced Kommo-o, Tangrowth / Ferrothorn can replace Serperior

I would like to keep Latias-Mega+Tapu Lele core.

Last edited by a moderator:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

edit: UNLOCKED

Last edited:
I feel like this team's strategy is based very heavily on your opponent staying in on bad matchups. You can't ever expect Azu to break TTar, you're just going to take a hit and see them switch into Pex (or alternative).

You generally lack speed control, so things like Scarf Kartana or Ash-Gren can tear holes in your team, as can most setup users. Lele isn't a reliable Ash-Gren check as it can be worn down easily, and gren still hits it hard:

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Lele: 180-213 (64 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You're also very weak to Toxic Spikes and Toxic in general. Your stall matchup is based very heavily around Latias who folds to an early toxic, and struggles to break CM Mag or Chansey. TBolt or Beam lets you beat Sableye at least but they can still sac around while Toxic does its work.

I feel like to make Latios work you need more of a balance build, rather than just checking its checks and hoping they dont switch out.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Interestingly, I have created a Mega-Latias team too (the latest version hasn’t seen battle yet though :))

TheTapDancer says Azu can’t take on Ttar. I usually use Keldeo for that. Why not try that? (Tell me if u want the set I use :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)