Pawniard

Komatana

Alright. Dark and Steel is a combination that I personally have been looking forward to for quite some time. Now that it has arrived, it brings with it a potent Little Cup dweller to the table-the ugly little Komatana.

Bold things are neat.

Dark/ Steel 45/ 85/ 70/ 40/ 40/ 60 Competitive Spirit/Inner Focus/Pressure (Dream World)

Lv1: Scratch, Lv6: Leer, Lv9: Fury Cutter, Lv14: Torment, Lv17: Faint Attack, Lv22: Scary Face, Lv25: Metal Claw, Lv30: Slash, Lv33: Assurance, Lv38: Metal Sound, Lv41: Embargo, Lv46: Iron Defense, Lv49: Night Slash, Lv54: Iron Head, Lv57: Swords Dance, Lv62: Guillotine

Egg Moves:
Revenge
Sucker Punch
Pursuit
Headbutt
Stealth Rock
Psycho Cut
Mean Look

TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM12 - Taunt, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM37 - Sandstorm, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM41 - Torment, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM47 - Ankle Sweep, TM48 - Troll, TM54 - False Swipe, TM56 - Fling, TM63 - Embargo, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM66 - Payback, TM67 - Get Even, TM69 - Rock Polish, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, TM95 - Back Out, HM01 - Cut

Komatana immediately jumps out as a versatile Pokemon just by looking at his movepool. Here are some sets:

Anti-Lead
Focus Sash
Jolly
Competitive Spirit
HP 36 / ATK 236 / SPE 236
  • Taunt
  • Stealth Rock
  • Sucker Punch
  • Brick Break

Komatana may have value is an anti-lead - above average speed combind with Taunt will do him well. He is in the good fortune of being one of the few 5th generation Pokemon with access to Stealth Rock. Sucker Punch allows you to pick off Sashers.

Swords Dance
Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant
Competitive Spirit
  • Swords Dance
  • Sucker Punch
  • Brick Break
  • Psycho Cut/Iron Head

A +2 set-up move and a STAB priority option means that Komatana can boast a lot of power. Come in on Gastly's Sludge Bomb or Shadow Ball, force it out, and score a Swords Dance. Komatana is lucky enough to get the drop on Croagunk's devastating Vacuum Wave with Sucker Punch and a Jolly nature, promptly destroying it.

Rock Polish
Life Orb
Adamant
Competitive Spirit
  • Rock Polish
  • Night Slash
  • Iron Head
  • Psycho Cut/Brick Break

Choice Scarf
Choice Scarf
Jolly
Competitive Spirit
  • Pursuit
  • Night Slash
  • Iron Head
  • Psycho Cut/Brick Break

I'll edit in more later when I have more time. For now, please discuss the littl guy's viability.

for the lead, wouldn't inner focus be better for fake out pokemon? Espeicelly since so few little cup mons have intimidate...
One problem I see is he's pretty much walled by gligar, who takes brick break like nothing, and can setup a rock polish or swords dance while you vainly attempt to sucker punch him.

Swords Dance Sucker Punch is going to be insane. Even a 4 attack set with Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Iron Head, and Brick Break would be amazing.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
This thing looks awesome. Seriously, it has a blade on its forehead and knives for hands. That's pretty damn cool.

Appearance aside, Komatana has a lot of potential. It's reaches 16 Speed, which outspeeds almost every Choice Scarf user in the game after a Rock Polish. I generally consider 17 to be the ideal Speed for a Swords Dance / Nasty Plot Sweeper, but Komatana is an exception due to Sucker Punch. It's Attack is amazing, reaching 18 with a Jolly nature, and it has decent Defense as well. Competitive Spirit is an interesting ability. It probably won't be too useful for boosting Attack since Intimidate is uncommon. But being pretty much immune to stuff like random Defense drops from Crunch is always awesome. It's movepool is wide enough to call it versatile, with many support and attack options. Psycho Cut is a welcome addition, giving it an effective way to harm Fighting-types, especially Croagunk.

The only thing that will probably hold Komatana back will be its typing. Dark / Steel gives it STAB Sucker Punch and two immunities. But its weaknesses hurt. The 4x Fighting weakness really stings when you consider how common Vacuum Wave is. But probably its biggest weakness is its Ground weakness. Gen 5 brought upon us a bunch of great Ground-types and abilities that boost them. Meguroko, Gobitto and Moguryuu are all new powerful additions with powerful STAB Earthquakes which will KO Komatana easily. Old Ground-types like Sandshrew, Hippopotas and Gligar all got better thanks to presence of Moguryuu, who will love abusing Hippopotas permanent SandStorm.

If you can get past its typing's weaknesses, Komatana looks like it will be a promising Pokemon who can switch in easily with its two immunities and useful resists and do a ton of damage. Another Pokemon we will have to watch out for.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Komatana has some very nice stats and options in its movepool. Sucker Punch immediately comes to mind, especially with that STAB boost. Really, off of a Base Attack of 85, it doesn't really need Swords Dance as much as other Pokemon, so Rock Polish or even a 4 attack set would do the job fine. It is really unfortunate that Komatana has that 4x Fighting weakness along with the weakness to Ground-type attacks. That's really the biggest thing holding him back from being a really fun Pokemon this generation.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
THis guy can KO Croagunk with Sucker Punch after a Swords Dance, he's that good. ALl he needs to do is come in, force a switch, Swords Dance, and then he starts wreaking havoc with Sucker Punch off 36/38 Attack + Life Orb.

He looks like a dominant force in the metagame.

What can even switch into a Swords Dance? I honestly can't think of anything semi-reliable that can switch in besides ScarfChop which is shaky at best.

Swords Dance / Brick Break / Sucker Punch / Iron Head --> that's insane.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Immune to sludge bomb, 4x resist to shadow ball... Duskull gets even better because at least it can burn it... Gastlys will start running hp fighting because of this dude. Pursuit + SP and dark stab is cool, along with rocks for a sort of random set maybe?

I'd never use this mon for anything but ending a match. I legitimately think it is a good candidate to be our first (and only) gen 5 LC Uber.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I played my first ever SD Komatana, and man, is it GOOD. Iron Head/Psycho Cut is a waste of a slot, Night Slash is WAAY better, since it means ghosts don't beat past you.

However, this is certainly not Ubers material.

scarf-nemite will be his biggest foe it seems. A +2 adamant life orb suckerpunch will never k/o a standard scarfer with 36 Def evs, and he'll be trapped. Thunderbolt from a timid magnemite will kill over 90% of the time, and if it carries a super effective hidden power, it will always K/O. Of course if you predict the switch and go for a brick break right away, that might change things.

Still, there isn't much that can truly counter the guy. Sturdy abusers is about the only other thing i can think of, and SR can take care of them. Also he is by far one of the coolest new additions to the pokemon series.

It and it's evolution are hands-down my least-favorite gen V pokes from an aesthetic design perspective. However, swords dance + sucker punch is always good. With STAB, it's amazing. With the resistances given by it's dual steel typing, I stand in awe of Komatana's might. Holy shit. That's all I have to say.

Komatana
Anti-Lead
Focus Sash
Jolly
Competitive Spirit
  • Taunt
  • Stealth Rock
  • Sucker Punch
  • Brick Break
Isn't this combination of moves illegal together?Unless I'm mistaken about something:
1-Sucker punch comes from toxicroak
2-Stealth rock comes from a gen IV infernape.
I'm pretty positive they aren't possible on the same set, since it has been discussed on the kirikizan thread and Colonel M realized they are incompatible. :/

Isn't this combination of moves illegal together?Unless I'm mistaken about something:
1-Sucker punch comes from toxicroak
2-Stealth rock comes from a gen IV infernape.
I'm pretty positive they aren't possible on the same set, since it has been discussed on the kirikizan thread and Colonel M realized they are incompatible. :/
Sucker Punch can come from a lot more than just Toxicroak but since nothing can give it SR besides a Gen 4 Infernape and it doesn't get Sucker Punch, they're illegal together.

This thing looks awesome. Seriously, it has a blade on its forehead and knives for hands. That's pretty damn cool.
Agreed. I personally think he looks nice.

Competitive Spirit is an interesting ability. It probably won't be too useful for boosting Attack since Intimidate is uncommon. But being pretty much immune to stuff like random Defense drops from Crunch is always awesome.
I don't know what you mean here. If he got hit with a defense drop he would get +2 attack but he would still have the -1 Defense, it doesn't make him immune to stat downs... Or did you mean something else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)