Announcement Pet Mods Grand Slam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

art by LifeisDANK
format by
lyd

Hello everyone! And welcome to the first edition of the Pet Mods Grand Slam Tournament! In this tournament, participants will take on no less than eight unique Pet Mods to compete for the title of winner of the first Pet Mods Grand Slam.

The format will consist of eight separate tournaments:
Every player's five (subject to changes) best runs will count for their overall score. Then the:
  • Pet Mods Grand Slam: Tiebreakers - hosted by lyd
will break any ties and leave only eight competitors to battle it out in a best of five metagame matches, the:
  • Pet Mods Grand Slam: Playoffs - hosted by TBA

Now, you might be wondering about the scoring system. Here's how it's going to work:
  • Every Open Tournament will follow this scheme for scores:

• Every player's five best runs will count towards playoff qualification.
As for how the Pet Mods in playoffs and tiebreakers will be decided, it will work like this:
  • Tiebreakers
    • An RNG will pick one metagame out of 8, whereas each player picks an additional metagame. Leaving players with a best-of-three format.
  • Playoffs
    • Quarterfinals
      • Seeds #1 and #2 will each remove three metagames from the pool.
      • Seeds #3 and #4 will each remove two metagames from the pool.
      • Seeds #5 and #6 will each remove one metagame from the pool.
      • Seeds #7 and #8 will remove no metagames from the pool.
    • Semifinals
      • Seed #1 will remove three metagames from the pool.
      • Seed #2 will remove two metagames from the pool.
      • Seed #3 will remove one metagame from the pool.
      • Seed #4 will remove no metagames from the pool.
    • Final
      • Seed #1 will remove two metagames from the pool.
      • Seed #2 will remove one metagame from the pool.
Feel free to ask any questions in this thread. Best of luck for every participant :)

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello everyone - potential participants and spectators alike! What a time to be alive, when the Pet Mod community can be organized enough to create and host a multi metagame spanning Open Tournament! Pet Mods on a whole have developed and thrived since the later end of the 6th Generation, in no small part to the Pet Mod community and I.

When I first came to the Pet mod subforum, it wasn't the unified and welcoming community it is today. It was little more than a dumping ground for creative minds and an area for OM coders to flex their muscles. I sa potential in the subforum, and began to regularly contribute to most of the existing Pet Mods in order to develop it. I eventually drew the attention of the OM leaders of the time, and was eventually made moderator of the subforum. I pushed for more community driven mods, and the community eventually united, spanning the excellent Pet Mods on display right now.

But I cannot take the full credit. As this is a community, they have helped to bring this to fruition. My trusted co-leader Ludicrousity helped tremendously in the development of particular Pet Mods and Pet Mods on a whole. lyd also is an important member to highlight, as his contribution to the organization to this Tournament, in addition to the creation of one of the more successful Pet Mods in Eternal Pokemon makes him a key player. Of course, the tounament itself would not be even playable without the hard work and dedication of resident Pet Mod coder charizard8888 and I applaud him for making the amazing (and quite crazy ideas) of the Pet Mod community playable. Even other notable members like Reviloja753, AquaticPanic and others each did their part in making this Tournament possible.

And to think Pet Mods were in danger of not being brought back for Generation 7!

My parting message to everyone is to play your matches fairly, as Ludi and i will be watching, help out one another, have fun, and make sure that this Tounament will be the first of many. Cheers to the bright and fruitful future of Pet Mods and of the Pet Mods Grand Slam!

is it just the formats as they are or will broken pokemon (like Harem from FE) be banned?
Speaking on behalf of Eternal Pokémon, after we're done with our current slate we'll nerf anything too strong, I really don't want the metagame to be like broken checks broken, and I actually want non-Eternal formes to shine. As for the other metagames, I assume they will at least attempt to nerf or ban anything too strong but it's honestly up to each Pet Mod leader, if there's any specific Pokémon you think is worthy of a ban or a nerf it might be a good idea to contact the leader of the Pet Mod to solve the issue.
Hello everyone - potential participants and spectators alike! What a time to be alive, when the Pet Mod community can be organized enough to create and host a multi metagame spanning Open Tournament! Pet Mods on a whole have developed and thrived since the later end of the 6th Generation, in no small part to the Pet Mod community and I.

When I first came to the Pet mod subforum, it wasn't the unified and welcoming community it is today. It was little more than a dumping ground for creative minds and an area for OM coders to flex their muscles. I sa potential in the subforum, and began to regularly contribute to most of the existing Pet Mods in order to develop it. I eventually drew the attention of the OM leaders of the time, and was eventually made moderator of the subforum. I pushed for more community driven mods, and the community eventually united, spanning the excellent Pet Mods on display right now.

But I cannot take the full credit. As this is a community, they have helped to bring this to fruition. My trusted co-leader Ludicrousity helped tremendously in the development of particular Pet Mods and Pet Mods on a whole. lyd also is an important member to highlight, as his contribution to the organization to this Tournament, in addition to the creation of one of the more successful Pet Mods in Eternal Pokemon makes him a key player. Of course, the tounament itself would not be even playable without the hard work and dedication of resident Pet Mod coder charizard8888 and I applaud him for making the amazing (and quite crazy ideas) of the Pet Mod community playable. Even other notable members like Reviloja753, AquaticPanic and others each did their part in making this Tournament possible.

And to think Pet Mods were in danger of not being brought back for Generation 7!

My parting message to everyone is to play your matches fairly, as Ludi and i will be watching, help out one another, have fun, and make sure that this Tounament will be the first of many. Cheers to the bright and fruitful future of Pet Mods and of the Pet Mods Grand Slam!
Hey, G-Luke appreciate the kind words ^^ and wanna take this opportunity to thank you too for all the work you've put into Pet Mods! Same applies to charizard8888 for having the amazing idea of coming up with this tour and putting so much work into coding everything and Ludicrousity for being such a great Moderator recently as well, you deserve every single one of these 21 likes lol. Can't wait for this to start, looking forward to see what everyone can come up with on Eternal Open :]

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Hey everyone! Its not far off time for the Megas For All Open to begin, and I've been requested to make an introductory post. Hopefully you find this useful!
What is Megas For All?
Megas For All (or MFA for short) is a Pet Mod owned by MaceMaster where, you guessed it, the community works together to try and give a Mega to every Pokémon that can have one. This obviously doesn't include NFEs or LC Pokémon. The Pokémon to focus on are decided in slates, submissions are made and then the community votes on their favourite. Also worth noting is that you can still only use one Mega per team. The Pokémon may also gain new moves alongside their Mega Evolution, similarly to how Ampharos gained Dragon Pulse with theirs. These moves are listed on the MFA Spreadsheet which you can find below.

How can I play it or practise for the Open?
The Pet Mod is hosted on my server, Nexus, and is best accessed through the custom client me and charizard8888 have been working on (big shoutouts to XpRienzo for hosting the client!!!). The client makes it easier to navigate the otherwise un-intuitive teambuilder, which I'll talk about more later. However, you will have to go through a small verification process to use the client. Just click the button when prompted, use ctrl+a then ctrl+c to copy the contents of the field then paste it into the line below (We're working on a solution so you don't have to do all that). Once on the server you can challenge the NexusBot or a player.

What's the Metagame like?
Megas For All's meta is primarily offensive due to the nature of many of the most powerful new Mega Evolutions. With powerhouses like Swellow, Vikavolt, Primeape, Kartana and Guzzlord running about it can be quite hard to try and wall your opponents. There are still some interesting new tools that can allow defensive playstyles to function, such as the increased distribution of reliable recovery and Megas like Araquanid and Blissey, but the meta is generally based around dealing damage fast and making strong predictions.

How do I build a team with the new Megas and Mega Stones?
Let's say you want to use Mega Vikavolt. Type Vikavolt-Mega into the search field, then rather than selecting an option or pressing Enter, simply click off the search field. Easy as that. Do the same thing for the Mega Stone in the item search field and you're good to go! Don't worry about them not having sprites, we're working on that.

Are there sample teams?
Not many, if anyone wants to contribute a team dm me a Pokepaste :] these are some teams I've done decently with:
Mega Swellow Offense by me
Mega Primeape Webs by me
Mega Raikou KokoLucha by me
Mega Rhyperior TR by Gojiratar
Mega Breloom Offense by Etanks3 (disappeared off the face of the earth :c)

Other things worth noting
The Open will be held in a best of 3 single elimination style. Providing replays of matches will also be required as it helps assist the development of the metagame.

General Resources
MFA Smogon Thread
MFA Spreadsheet (has everything you need to start playing)
MFA Discord
Nexus Discord
MFA Damage Calc
Mega Speed Tiers

We'll let you know when entry is open :]

Last edited:

dom

Banned deucer.
Does the winner of this tour get anything because this thing's a lot of work for glory not gonna lie

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
Does the winner of this tour get anything because this thing's a lot of work for glory not gonna lie
At the moment, nothing iirc. But I’ll talk to a few people and see if I can get anything sorted. This tournament was mainly to try and get traction for pet mods, but I agree that some reward or something for top places should happen.

Introducing the Type Optimisation sign-ups thread!

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/type-optimisation-open-sign-ups.3635675/

What is Type Optimisation?

Ever been annoyed by an interesting typing ruined by bad stats and movepool? Well, here we examine niches for each type combination to explore the possibilities of each type!

Pokemon are retyped to explore niches and the full potential of each type combination, with upgraded stats and movepools geared towards the OU environment.

You can find this metagame in the Dragon Heaven server (http://dragonheaven.psim.us/)

All the best to future participants!

dom

Banned deucer.
i cant find a spreadsheet anywhere, how are you guys gonna keep track of player performence without one, lol. is it private if it exists? regardless there should be a public spreadsheet + leaderboard

i cant find a spreadsheet anywhere, how are you guys gonna keep track of player performence without one, lol. is it private if it exists? regardless there should be a public spreadsheet + leaderboard
As soon as the first open is over I’ll make one to keep track of everything, don’t worry ^^

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I forgot to post this here

Optimons open sign up thread is up and open!

What is Optimons? Its a Pet Mod that revolves around making a Pokemon the best it can be, the most optimal version of itself if you will.
Sign ups are closed this Friday so jump on quickly if you have not! Resources are in the thread too if you need them.

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
Signups for the Eevee'd Open have started!

What is Eevee'd?
Eevee'd is an OU-based Pet Mod in which the goal is to give different Pokemon an evolution line similar to the Eevee line.

Resources
*The updated archive will be edited into the link above soon. Meanwhile the available Pokemon can be viewed by typing /eeveed in Dragon Heaven and clicking on the list of the Pokemon. Use "/dt ability name, Eeveed" for information for a custom ability.

Signups end after Saturday, 4th of August.

Fusion Evolution Open signups are on the way very soon! Will post when signups are open.

What is Fusion Evolution?
Fusion Evolution is a pet mod that combines the stats, movepools and abilities of two Pokemon, with entries from individuals determining what gets fused.

Resources
*Spreadsheet contains every winning fusion, as well as fusion moves among other things.

There are some things that sadly will not be functional for the open. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)