Pet Peeves Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making a really unique sub for a Pet Mod only for another really unique sub to overshadow it

Having that one sub you voted for as your favorite in a pet mod lose to the winning sub by 1 point

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Making a really unique sub for a Pet Mod only for another really unique sub to overshadow it

Having that one sub you voted for as your favorite in a pet mod lose to the winning sub by 1 point
The problem with first past the post voting is so severe that it even affects pet mods on a pokemon website :psycry:

Last edited:

Lina

Creatures in Heaven
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ohhhh I have one! In Gymnastics, the same skills are called different things in different countries. For example what you would call a Back Handspring in the US is called a Back Flip here in Australia. However, I constantly hear Back Flip being called Back Handspring and I gosh darn haaaaate it. Another example, I've heard Straight Jumps being called Stretch Jump recently and I also haaaaate that.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When people spell "definitely" as "defiantly"

All my friends know this pisses me off so they do it just to annoy me.

HOWEVER one time I did it myself by accident so I had to roll with it. We were deciding in the groupchat where we wanted to go to dinner and I said "I defiantly want Olive Garden." So I got roasted for it and I was like no it was on purpose, I defiantly want those unlimited breadsticks and I will be in a bad mood until I have them.

We ended up going to Texas Roadhouse instead
I’ve never seen it spelled like that, but I see ppl spell it “definate” a lot and it kinda bugs me.

My main writing pet peeve is long, clunky, pretentious, colourless words—particularly “utilise” and “individual,” neither of which serves any useful purpose (in virtually any context) that isn’t better served by another word or phrase that has less or the same number of syllables.

My other one is the way ppl incorrectly use “ironic,” particularly in the form “unironic.” You don’t believe something “unironically:” you believe it “sincerely” or “genuinely” or any other similar word that doesn’t involve haphazardly shoving “un” onto something it doesn’t belong on. It’s another case of horrible, clunky language being used for no good reason.

Sijih

game show genius
My main writing pet peeve is long, clunky, pretentious, colourless words—particularly “utilise” and “individual,” neither of which serves any useful purpose (in virtually any context) that isn’t better served by another word or phrase that has less or the same number of syllables.
The other obstacle to succinct writing is adverbs and adjectives. I think it's always preferable to say "brook" over "small stream" and "sprinting" over "running quickly".

I can't really hate when it's on the internet because people don't care + english isn't everyone's native language, but when it's in a published book that's when it becomes a pet peeve

Sijih

game show genius
when you're playing a ladder game and you pick a lead instantly, then your opponent turns the timer on and takes another 50 seconds to pick a lead.

why would you turn the timer on if you haven't picked a pokemon yet? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)