SM OU Phalanx Formation

Phalanx Formation

Introduction

I haven't been serious about OU since Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but I decided to make a competitive, breedable OU team for battling friends. Getting down to business, I prefer a more balanced play style that revolves around wearing down the opponent with a defensive core and using an offensive Pokemon or core to clean up or pressure when necessary. I also switch frequently, which makes the most of the team's synergy and momentum, but also necessitates hazard control. Also, I mentioned this team is breedable, but please do not limit your suggestions in any way; this is an OU team and any input is welcome.

Teambuilding Process

I kicked off the team with Ferrothorn, a long time favorite of mine for its resistances, Leech Seed, and its ability to layer Spikes on free turns for additional pressure. Next, Ferrothorn needed an effective partner for my defensive core, and Toxapex was an easy choice due to its equally impressive type and bulk. Mandibuzz is also a tried and true favorite of mine, being one of few defensive Dark-types, and providing vital hazard control with Defog. This concluded my defensive core, and I moved on to create an offensive core capable of revenge killing and late-game sweeping. First to be selected was Garchomp, who is able to score a surprising number of clean KO's by catching the opponent off guard with Choice Scarf. Next was Greninja, which boasts a large amount of power with Life Orb and already outspeeds a large portion of the metagame without being locked into Scarf, as well as providing special coverage to Garchomp's physical movepool. The final slot for the team was a tossup and originally held Mega Manectric for its speed and maneuverability, but my team lacked wallbreakers so I replaced it with defensive Swords Dance Mega Scizor for wallbreaking and revenge killing.

The Team

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

As mentioned above, Ferrothorn is the foundation of my team, chosen primarily for its type and bulk, and also for its access to moves that wear down opposing teams. It functions as a key member of my defensive core, providing a vital resistance to Electric-type attacks and impressive bulk. This moveset is fairly standard, and has protect for scouting, extra recovery, and punishing High Jump Kicks. Spikes is used over Stealth Rock so that Ferrothorn has something to do on the many "free" turns it creates, and a full set of spikes wears down most opponents faster than rocks. Gyro Ball is used over Power Whip to hit Grass-types that cannot be seeded and to KO frail sweepers.

Toxapex @ Rocky Hemet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald

Toxapex has great defensive synergy with Ferrothorn and can further wear down opponents with Toxic Spikes. It functions similarly to Ferrothorn in terms of switching in and setting up, and can also shut down setup sweepers such as Calm Mind sweepers and setup dancers like Scizor and Volcarona before they acquire too much momentum. Other than that, this set is also pretty standard and self-explanitory.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Mandibuzz completes the defensive core with hazard control and impressive bulk for a Dark-type. It also functions as a wall, and as a switch-in to Dark-type and Ghost-type attacks. It can shut down unwary physical sweepers with its full defensive investment and Foul Play, 2HKOing nearly all unboosted physical sweepers, and OHKOing them after a boost. Defog is mandatory for hazard control, although it often interferes with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, forcing me to choose whether we both take damage or neither of us do. Roost maximizes its longevity, allowing it to recover after tanking heavy attacks from physical sweepers to punish with Foul Play. Taunt is her only option against stallers, and disables recovery from the opponents.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Garchomp was chosen for its uncanny ability to figuratively sucker punch the opponent by scoring early KOs with Choice Scarf. It also serves as an emergency answer to a Dragonite or Volcarona that managed to get a boost off. Fire Blast replaced Dragon Claw to catch Ferrothorn and Scizor off-guard, and the rest of the set maximizes overall damage. Once fliers are removed, Garchomp can usually get a clean sweep with Earthquake.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Greninja was chosen to essentially be a specially-based counterpart to my Garchomp. While slower, it is more flexible and can score just as many KOs. Gunk Shot is vital as a surprise to the many Fairy-types that Greninja encounters, particularly Clefable. Ice Beam is always almost needed for a Protean Greninja, and clears out the flying types that avoid my layers of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Hydro Pump is typically only used to punish a switch or as a last resort against threats with few weaknesses, such as Celesteela. U-turn is less neccesary, especially with Life Orb, but is very useful for scouting and acquiring momentum.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

As I already mentioned, this slot is less defined in terms of its role on the team, and is currently occupied by Scizor to wallbreak and revenge kill threats too fast for Garchomp. Its resistances and bulk are certainly useful, although its weakness is definitely a hindrance, leaving me with two double fire-weaknesses and only Toxapex as a reliable switch-in. I opted for a defensive set over an offensive one to create a kind of fourth leg to my defensive core, allowing it to switch into resisted or physical attacks and pivot out with U-turn. In practice, Swords Dance is used more to scare the opponent out of stall than actual wallbreaking, but it gets the job done. Roost, of course, is to provide longevity.

Conclusion

Overall, this team performs well against offensive or balanced teams, but struggles to maintain pressure against defensive and stalling teams. Each team member sees enough use to justify their spot on the team, although Mega Scizor is not used as frequently as the rest. The team also struggles heavily against offensive Electric-types, especially those with Fire-type coverage such as Zapdos. Magma Storm Heatran also counters everything barring Garchomp, although Heatran becomes a problem before the opponent's Earthquake switch-ins are eliminated. Defensive Pokemon with recovery, such as Slowbro and Mega Venusaur, are also very difficult to handle because they cannot be easily worn down and my offensive core lacks the wallbreaking firepower to shut them down without a super-effective attack. Thank you for reading this long, any and all suggestions and criticism are wanted.​

Threat List:
Zapdos: A huge threat for my team due to carrying Thunderbolt and Heat Wave, whose only semi-safe switch-in is Garchomp. It also carries Defog, allowing its team to switch freely.
Mega Venusaur: Offensive variations are not as threatening as defensive ones, although both absorb my Toxic Spikes. Synthesis, great natural bulk, and its inability to be poisoned or seeded make it nearly impossible to wear down without sacrificing a sweeper.
Slowbro: Mega or not, Slowbro's defense, resistance to Greninja's special moves, plus Slack Off and Regenerator make it as hard to deal with as Mega Venusaur. To make matters worse, they sometimes carry Fire-type coverage, leaving Mandibuzz as the only one that can stay out against it. However, Mandibuzz can't do anything threatening to it.
Heatran: Toxapex and Garchomp are its only threats, but the former is trapped and worn down with Magma Storm and the latter struggles to land a hit on it as Heatran constantly switches out

Importable:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Suggestions
  • I recommend zygarde>garchomp because you already have a decent volcorona answer in toxapex and sub dd zygarde pairs well with toxic spikes.
  • Toxapex EVs 252hp 4 def 252spd calm item black sludge-this ensures you don't lose to volcorona and toxapex likes the passive recovery of black sludge and being able to deny trick users.
  • Extrasensory/hidden power fire>u-turn-I understand you want momentum with greninja but you already have u-turn scizor for this. extrasensory chips toxapex and hidden power fire ohkoes ferrothorns,which kinda trouble your team.
  • A mawile check-your team is pretty weak to fire fang mawile so i would add a check like landorus-t or mew or a pokemon that can revenge kill it like hidden power fire specs tapu lele. Note-mandibuzz is most likely replacable here
  • Scizor spread-your current spread isn't good. if you want a good offensive scizor with defensive capabilities use my spread in the edited team below.
  • Optional: a stealth rock user and defog counteracts your spike stack. sr mew most likely over mandibuzz. gives you a mega medicham answer. greninja can forgo ice beam also as shown in the edited team.
Import
Team: http://pokepast.es/d89c24f59b8cfe35
hope you enjoyed my rate!
Note: All my edited teams go to the team owners respectively. I do not use these teams for myself thank you!

Great team overall.
I would change Scizor to Sharpedo.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall

This sharpedo set checks many things listed in your Thread List, such as:
Mega Venusair with Psycic fangs, Slowbro with Crunch, Heatran with Waterfall and helps against mega mawile, resisting sucker punch and hitting back very hard with Waterfall. He is, in general, a nice guy to have around. And add's a fire resist, although he is a bit fragile, so take goof cate of him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)