Pikachu NU [QC 1/1]

apokemontrainer68

Banned deucer.
[Overview]

When looking at Pikachu's stats, you might wonder, why would anyone use this over Plusle or Minun? The answer is its signature item, the Light Ball, which doubles its Special Attack, making it the most powerful Special Attacker in the tier bar Clamperl. With few Electric- and Ground-types, Pikachu can hit most of the tier for at least neutral damage, and it also has access to Surf, which can help in dealing with Ground-, Rock, and Fire-types. However, its defenses are pathetic, making Pikachu very easy to revenge kill by faster Pokemon or Pokemon with priority moves.

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Surf / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Encore / Hidden Power Ice
item: Light Ball
nature: Hasty / Mild
evs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Pikachu's main STAB move to deal with Water-types like Huntail, Wailord, and Kingler and Flying-types like Pidgeot, Murkrow, and Golbat. Surf can deal with Rock-, Ground-, and Fire-types such as Flareon, Pupitar, Torkoal, and Sudowoodo. Hidden Power Ice gives Pikachu perfect coverage, allowing it to hit the entire tier for neutral damage and helps against Grass-types like Roselia and Bellossom. Substitute allows Pikachu to attack one more turn before fainting to almost any attack. With a bit of prediction, Encore can be very useful. Since the opponent will be locked into a move like Swords Dance or Curse.

Set Details
========

Since Pikachu can't take any hit, it's defenses are pretty much there just to be lowered. A Hasty nature allows it to outspeed Pokemon that would normally cause a speed tie like Furret and Vigoroth.

Pikachu can really switch only after one of its allies fainted or if its the lead; basically, Pikachu just needs a way to use Substitute so it can KO top-tier threats like Chimeco and Mawile.

If it doesn't have Hidden Power Ice, then Pikachu appreciates some help from Pokemon such as Flareon and Pidgeot since they can hit both Roselia and Bellossom with their super effective STAB moves. Pikachu also appreciates help from Grass-types like Bellossom and Roselia to help it against Whiscash. Since Pikachu will die to pretty much any priority move such as Quick Attack from Pidgeot or and Mach Punch from Hitmonchan, Haunter and Sableye can switch into both since they possess Normal- and Fighting-type immunities. Arbok can switch into Hitmonchan pretty safely thanks to its resistance to Fighting-type moves and access to Intimidate.

Other Options
=============

Thunder Wave can be very helpful if you are running a Mild nature instead of a Hasty one. Volt Tackle is an option if you want more power, but it's a bit too risky if used with Substitute. Pikachu can also use Hidden Power Grass for Ground-types not weak to Ice such Whiscash.

Checks and Counters
===================

Whiscash is a threat to any Pikachu that is not carrying Hidden Power Grass due to it's immunity to Thunderbolt and it only taking neutral damage from Surf. Priority users like Hitmonchan and Pidgeot beat Pikachu.

Attachments

Last edited:
not a QC, but in gen 3, light ball only doubles Pikachu's Special Attack, not Attack so might wanna remove the false information

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The writing is really really rough here apokemontrainer68, but the set looks good at least, although I would deslash Thunder, there's really no reason to run it at all when Tbolt KOs everything anyway. And anywhere you'd mention Thunder you should mention Volt Tackle instead honestly. Make sure you remove the mentions of physical moves throughout the analysis.

apokemontrainer68

Banned deucer.
The writing is really really rough here apokemontrainer68, but the set looks good at least, although I would deslash Thunder, there's really no reason to run it at all when Tbolt KOs everything anyway. And anywhere you'd mention Thunder you should mention Volt Tackle instead honestly. Make sure you remove the mentions of physical moves throughout the analysis.
I'm just not very good at writting things like this but i tried at least.
Anyways i removed any mention of physical moves and deslashed Thunder (tbh i don't know why it was there)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
apokemontrainer68

OK, so you're examples and the set and stuff are correct and pass QC, etc.

However, your writing is just,,,, not good, to put it bluntly. For example:

Pikachu can really switch only after one of it's allies fainted or if it's the lead and also just hope the opponent doesn't have priority and you also must be faster than it or you can try predicting switches or if the opponent is going to use a status move but if you manage to do all of that then Pikachu behind a substitute is quite dangerous since it's so powerful, it also manages to 2HKO top threats like Hitmonchan, Chimeco, Mawile and Flareon, basically don't let it take any hit.
This is all one run-on sentence, and it's not even a cohesive one at that. Considering this, and the other run-ons throughout this analysis, I don't know if it'd be worth the time it would take for GP to fix it up. GatoDelFuego or The Dutch Plumberjack may be able to give a better judgment call here, but ultimately you really need to fix this up before passing it into GP.

apokemontrainer68

Banned deucer.
This is an Amateur GP Check, so only Implement What You Want
ADD REMOVE (COMMENTS)

[Overview]

When looking at Pikachu's stats,(AC) you might wonder,(AC) "why anyone would anyone use this over Plusle or Minun.(RP)?" The answer is it's its signature item, the Light Ball, which doubles it's its special attack Special Attack,(AC) making it the most powerful special attacker Special Attacker in the tier excluding the occasional bar Clamperl.(AP) and with With few electric Electric-(AH) and ground types Ground-types(AH), Pikachu can hit most of the tier for at least neutral damage,(AC) and it also has access to surf Surf,(AC) which can help in dealing with ground, rock and fire types Ground-(AH), Rock(AH),(AC) and Fire-types(AH).(AP) however However,(AC) it's its defenses are pathetic,(AC) making Pikachu very easy to revenge kill by faster pokemon Pokemon or pokemon Pokemon with priority moves.

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Surf / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Encore / Hidden Power Ice
item: Light Ball
nature: Hasty / Mild
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Pikachu's main stab STAB move to deal with water types Water-types(AH) like Huntail, Wailord,(AC) and Kingler and also against flying types Flying-types like Pidgeot, Murkrow,(AC) and Golbat. Surf can deal with rock, ground and fire types Rock-(AH), Ground-(AH),(AC) and Fire-types(AH) such as Flareon, Pupitar, Torkoal,(AC) and Sudowoodo(Reorder these to match the order Rock/Ground/Fire). Hidden Power Ice gives Pikachu perfect coverage,(AC) allowing it to hit the entire tier for neutral damage and also helps it against grass types Grass-types(AH) like Roselia and Belossom Bellossom. Substitute allows Pikachu to attack one more turn before fainting to almost any attack. With a bit of prediction,(AC) Encore can be very useful.(AP) since Since the opponent will be locked onto into one move, it Encore allows Pikachu to KO some pokemon Pokemon that thought they could setup set up on it.

Set Details
========

Since Pikachu can't take any hit, it's defenses are pretty much there just to be lowered. A Hasty nature allows it to outspeed more pokemon Pokemon like Pidgeot and Plusle while also outspeeding pokemon Pokemon that would normally cause a speed tie like Furret and Vigoroth.

Pikachu can really switch only after one of it's its allies fainted or if it's its the lead,(RC);(ASC) basically,(AC) you Pikachu just need needs a way to use substitute Substitute and if you do then so it can KO top-tier(AH) threats like Chimeco and Mawile. (you can probably find a better conjunctive adverb than basically)

If it doesn't have Hidden Power Ice,(AC) then Pikachu appreciates some help from Pokemon such as Flareon and Pidgeot since they can hit both Roselia and Bellossom with their super effective STAB moves,(RC).(AP) it Pikachu also appreciates help from grass types Grass-types(AH) like Bellossom and Roselia to help it against Whiscash. Since Pikachu will die to pretty much any priority move such as Quick Attack from Pidgeot or and Mach Punch from Hitmonchan, Haunter and Sableye can switch into both since they are immune to both quick attack and mach punch possess Normal-(AH) and Fighting-type(AH) immunities. Arbok can switch into Hitmonchan pretty safely thanks to it's its resistance to fighting type Fighting-type moves and also access to intimidate Intimidate. (I don't see any reason why not to combine all of these into one paragraph)

Other Options
=============

Thunder Wave can be very helpful if you are running mild a Mild nature instead of timid a Timid one,(RC).(Do you mean Hasty? No other place in the analysis mentions a Timid nature...)(AP) Volt Tackle is an option if you want more power,(AC) but it's a bit too risky if used with Substitute. Pikachu can also use Hidden Power Grass for Ground-types not weak to Ice such Whiscash. (You could probably go into more detail about why these moves are not as useful as the ones on the main set)

Checks and Counters
===================

Whiscash is a threat to any Pikachu that is not carrying hidden power grass Hidden Power Grass due to it's immunity to Thunder/Thunderbolt and it only taking neutral damage from Surf. Priority users like Hitmonchan and Pidgeot destroy Pikachu (destroy is a bit much, find a more suitable synonym that stays consistent with the tone of the analysis).

You could also try to beef up the word choice in several parts of the analysis. Otherwise, good job!
Thanks

apokemontrainer68

Banned deucer.
Very few of the changes I made were subjective, an overwhelming majority of them were objective. I would seriously consider implementing the changes I made for you that you haven't updated already, as the GP team is going to change a lot of the same things I already am trying to fix for you.
I'll be sure to do that.

apokemontrainer68

Banned deucer.
Very few of the changes I made were subjective, an overwhelming majority of them were objective. I would seriously consider implementing the changes I made for you that you haven't updated already, as the GP team is going to change a lot of the same things I already am trying to fix for you.
I think i'm done implementing the changes but i might have missed some things because i'm tired.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Late but: get rid of Hasty/Mild nature and the Attack EVs, and the primary set should likely be TBolt/HP Ice/Surf, with Sub and Encore last. Get rid of the mention of Encore preventing setup; Pika 2HKOs or OHKOs every relevant setup ‘mon, so nothing tries to set up on it unless they’re expecting a switch. Pikachu is slower than Pidgeot or Plusle so it’s a bit odd to mention them as targets to beat with a +Speed nature. Seems like there are a lot of issues in general with this writeup, though I’ll mainly leave that to the GP folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)