Strategy & Metagame Pixie Powerhouses: Who Benefitted Most from their new Fairy Typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been active in the competitive Pokemon scene since RBY, and on Smogon since 2005, but this is my first attempt at contributing anything to the site, so pardon me if I'm not quite sure where to begin, and if I'm not quite sure what should be included in a proposal such as this.

My idea is a look at what I believe to be the two single most-improved Fairies of Gen 6: Azumarill and Mawile. The former thanks to the useful resistances (and immunity!) it now has along with its already reasonable bulk, and the latter due to its mega-evolution which now boasts the highest unboosted attack stat in the game.

I will begin with a brief look back at the dominance of dragons in generations 4-5, and an overview of the fairy-type in generation 6.

I will then proceed with a competitive analysis of the two aforementioned pokemon, Mawile and Azumarill. Strengths and weaknesses, how they match up, suggested movesets, how to use them, that kind of stuff. I wrote part of the analysis for DPPt Jirachi (I think it has since been replaced, though) so I do have experience doing this. I have also been battling competitively since Gen 1.

I will do the same for my Honorable Mention, Togekiss, which though not as immediately threatening as Mawile and Azumarill, still has viability in OU as a check to certain dragons, though it has drawbacks which I will go over as well.

May possibly include a short blurb on (mega) Gardevoir as well, though I do not believe she made OU.

My conclusion will be about how "fairy is not the new dragon" as was often speculated pre-release, but how it is exactly what some previously-unloved pokemon needed to push them into OU.

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry about the late reply Syberia! I'm cool with this as long as you don't concentrate on the mega part of Mawile (since we already have an article on that) but otherwise it's cool. Approved~

Thanks for your interest in writing for The Smog! We'll work on getting you access to Article Workshop as soon as possible. You can discuss the progress of your article(s) on #thesmog (on synirc) with other writers, however keep in mind this is the only place you can discuss your article(s). If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of The Smog Staff, otherwise enjoy your time writing for the webzine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)