Playing it safe - A PS! Warstory

Hey there Smogon. It was a lovely day to be outside when Sce4 and I were laddering on PS! Eventually, we came across each other and happened to have this awesome battle out of which we made a warstory. Seeing as how it was on PS! we had to copy and paste the logs and insert the pictures by hand and manually format everything. The damage percentages also had to be calculated by hand since the actual battle disappeared. Finally, due to picture (some of which could not be resized apparently -_-) limits, this warstory is broken up into two posts. So please bear with us and excuse all the discrepancies. Now without further ado we would like to present our joint warstory. Enjoy!

Sce4

VS.

Namikaze

Scores will be displayed next to the turn number
Namikaze’s comments will look like this
Sce4’s comments will look like this

Kazekage joined.
samarium joined.
Format: OU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause

Kazekage's team: Conkeldurr / Jirachi / Dragonite / Rotom-Wash / Celebi / Landorus-Therian

samarium's team: Jolteon / Salamence / Latios / Scizor / Rotom-Wash / Deoxys-Defense

Battle between Kazekage and samarium started!
Kazekage sent out Rotom-W (Rotom-Wash)!
samarium sent out Latios!

100% vs
100%

I did a little research and it turned out that Samarium was ranked as #41 on the ladder. On PS this meant you were a decent battler and knew what you were doing. His team preview gave me shivers, seeing two dragons. In all my previous battles, two dragons had been the reason why I had lost because one would die taking out Jirachi and the other would run through a weakened team. From that I could tell that the only way I stood a shot at winning this was to have my Jirachi stay alive throughout the entire match, as to sponge hits from both of them and hopefully paralyze them back giving my other Pokemon a shot at the KOs. I decided to lead of with Rotom-W seeing as how if he had a dragon lead, he would be forced to use a dragon attack allowing a safe switch in for Jirachi.

It may seem odd not to lead with deoxys-d, but generally my opponent will send out their best answer to it so it's a stupid idea. Unless they have a dedicated lead or prankster abuser, then deoxys can shine. Anyway, I chose latios as Draco Meteor will kill anything on his team that doesn't cast wishes, and it's faster than his whole team providing lando-t isn't scarfed. I was glad to see rotom-w as it can't really do anything noteworthy to latios, I don't even think hp ice will do that much.

Turn 1 (6 – 6)

Kazekage called Rotom-W back!
Kazekage sent out Jirachi!
The foe's Latios used Draco Meteor!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Latios's Special Attack harshly fell!
Jirachi restored HP using its Leftovers!

100% --> 75% vs 100%

Things go exactly as I had hoped for this turn. I’m assuming that his Latios is a scarfed one which meant that I could get a free turn to set up rocks. But that would allow his Salamence to come in and KO with EQ after which it would have its way with me, resulting in a very short match. Spreading paralysis was the safest way to go at this point.

So jirachi is in relatively safely, which is annoying as hell. What decent person plays with jirachi? None of them. It was invented only because Game Freak is equally as evil. Anyway, it's probably specially defensive given the damage latios did so it’s going to try to paralyze me, and because I’m worried it could use body slam instead of thunder wave I think scizor is my safest bet.

Turn 2 (6 - 6)

samarium called Latios back!
samarium sent out Scizor!
Jirachi used Body Slam!
It's not very effective... The foe's Scizor lost 10% of its health!

81% vs
90% <-- 100%

Scizors are usually banded. From seeing two banded pokes on Samarium’s team, I could tell that he’d be switching in and out a lot. As far as I was concerned, Scizor could not KO Jirachi and so I went for the rocks.

Safely in, the paralysis wouldn’t have mattered much but I’m still glad I didn’t get paralyzed, and jirachi can’t do much now so I assume it will either lay rocks or switch, so I may as well u-turn out.

Turn 3 (6 - 6)

Jirachi used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
The foe's Scizor used U-turn!
Jirachi lost 54% of its health!
samarium called Scizor back!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latios!

33% vs 88% <-- 90%

I wasn’t planning on tearing my hair out this early in the match, but there I was with fistfuls of my gorgeous locks fluttering about. Jirachi was now in KO range from any of Latios’ attacks. I could not afford to lose Jirachi with his Latios nearly unscathed. Draco meteor would leave me with 1% or so and that would put my opponent’s Latios at risk to being paralyzed with a Sp. Atk drop. Hoping that my opponent would play safely and use surf, I chose to make the safer move and switched to Rotom who could subsequently burn his next switch in. If he used Draco Meteor I’d have Jirachi come back in on the next turn and body slam forcing him to switch around more and rack up hazard damage.

I bring in latios to finish up as I want him to know as little as possible about my other sets, not that they’re unusual. On reflection, Draco Meteor would have been the best choice as (I think) it would have killed jirachi and anything else that tried to switch in. But as jirachi is such a thorn in this team’s side I only thought about getting the neutral hit.

Turn 4 (6 - 6)

Kazekage called Jirachi back!
The foe's Latios used Surf!
It's not very effective... Rotom-W lost 30% of its health!
Rotom-W restored HP using its Leftovers!

33% --> 76% vs 88%

Ok, so far so good…

Again, Rotom-W can do little to Latios so I decide to stay in and surf again to scout what he wants to do.

Turn 5 (6 - 6)

It's not very effective... Rotom-W lost 30% of its health!
Rotom-W used Will-O-Wisp!
The attack of Rotom-W missed!

52% vs 88%

Aw darn it. Rotom would be unable to do much to that Latios at this point, so pain split seemed like the best option, granting Rotom more health and allowing it one more shot at burn. I contemplated switching to Celebi, but that wouldn’t be the best thing to do since I would be unable to touch Latios.

The miss didn’t matter that much. Latios doesn’t care much about burns. And I probably would’ve switched him into jirachi more as there was no longer a need to fear paralysis. Anyway, I’m predicting a switch here so I go to my entry hazard layer as I realize by this point they are going to be very useful and, to be honest, it's who I send in when I don't know who else to turn to.

Turn 6 (6 - 6)

samarium sent out Deoxys-Defense!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Deoxys-Defense!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense is exerting its pressure!
Rotom-W used Pain Split!
The battlers shared their pain!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense restored HP using its Leftovers!

81% vs 71% <--
88%

When I first saw Deoxys-D in the team preview, I was a bit confused. I wasn’t sure if it was OU as there were better spikers and stealth rockers in the game, namely Ferrothorn. I didn’t really have a way to play around it so going for the next best thing, I tried to drown it.

He'll either attack or switch, either way this would be a good time to lay some hazards.

Turn 7 (6 - 6)

The foe's Deoxys-Defense used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!
The attack of Rotom-W missed!

87% vs 77%

WTF Rotom! Are you blind!? That’s two times this game already. He had a free layer of entry hazards up, and I assumed that there was more to come. But once again, not being sure about what a Deoxys could do, instead of switching directly to Rotom, I tried scouting a bit.

Time for some spikes.

Turn 8 (6 - 6)

The foe's Deoxys-Defense used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense lost 27% of its health!
Jirachi is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi!

87% --> 20% vs 56%

For those of you who couldn’t tell, Jirachi was saying his last prayers. Night Shade would dispatch of me quickly and the match was as good as over. GG Samarium, except not really because let’s face it, I’m a genuine idiot.

There’s no point in switching here as I assume an attack is coming, and Deoxys really doesn’t mind those. So more spikes!

Turn 9 (6 - 6)

Jirachi used Wish!

26% vs 62%

What just happened? Did Samarium misclick? Had the planets aligned in my favor? Will Bleach ever end? All these questions had to wait to be answered. Its prayer had gone through and now with a new lease on life Jirachi now went back to do what the world notoriously hates it for doing.

Okay, I now realize I should’ve used taunt. Then jirachi wouldn’t have been able to heal and I could still lay my hazards. Ah well, may as well finish laying them now.

Turn 10 (6 - 6)

Jirachi used Body Slam!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense lost 15% of its health!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense was paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Jirachi's wish came true!

81% vs 51% (Par)

Looking good Jirachi. Now let’s hope Samarium switches out predicting Iron Head abuse. Only to eat more of my 1.1kg Body Slams that is.

Ok deoxys, you've done your main job. But before switching use taunt so that it can’t heal a teammate with wish.

Turn 11 (6 - 6)

Jirachi used Body Slam!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense lost 14% of its health!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense used Taunt!
Jirachi fell for the taunt!

87% (Taunt) vs 43% (Par)

Taunt? This turn reminded me of just how little I knew about Deoxys. It was one of those suicide lead sets that spammed entry hazards and then was quickly disposed of. Samarium would probably go on to Night Shade me, which would result in my Jirachi being in KO range again by the time I had finished Deoxys off. Well, too bad for you that I’m on to your antics. Iron head abuse ought to show you whose boss.

I figure jirachi, the annoying thing it is, will iron head here as he now assumes I'm not switching. I could easily bring in rotom in an attempt to burn it and kill it quicker. But at this point I'd rather have momentum so scizor is the better option as it will do more damage if jirachi stays in whereas volt switching will do practically nothing and leave him free to paralyze something.

Turn 12 (6 - 6)

samarium called Deoxys-Defense back!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Scizor!
Jirachi used Iron Head!
It's not very effective... The foe's Scizor lost 14% of its health!

93% (Taunt) vs
61% <-- 43% (Par)

Aw darn it again. I believe I was outsmarted, outwitted and outplayed just now. Being slower Scizor could take a Body Slam and U-Turn out to a dragon who would KO. But I’ve learned from my mistakes. I’m saving my pixie for another day.

U-turn should be obvious but even so there’s little he can do to stop be gaining the momentum here.

Turn 13 (6 - 6)

Kazekage sent out Landorus-Therian!
Pointed stones dug into Landorus-Therian!
Landorus-Therian intimidates the foe's Scizor!
The foe's Scizor's Attack fell!
The foe's Scizor used U-turn!
It's not very effective... Landorus-Therian lost 26% of its health!
samarium sent out Rotom-Wash!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Rotom-Wash!
The foe's Rotom-Wash restored HP using its Leftovers!

93% -->62% vs94% <--61%

Wow, even after an Intimidate, I took over 25% from a resisted U-Turn? Banded Scizor always has been and forever will be something to be scared of. Before dealing with those dragon’s I need to take care of it. Seeing as how I was in the face of a lefties carrying Rotom-W, I knew exactly how to go about this.

I really don't like facing lando-t. Intimidate can be used to ruin Salamence in the early stages of a sweep, and scarved variants will outspeed jolteon as well. I figure, if I burn it, it won't be scary at all. Still intimidating but I can't stop that. I would've volt switched here to keep momentum but had lando-t stayed in I'd be screwed.

Turn 14 (6 - 6)

Kazekage called Landorus-Therian back!
Kazekage sent out Celebi!
Celebi is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into Celebi!
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Will-O-Wisp!
The attack of the foe's Rotom-Wash missed!

62% --> 63% vs 100%

That could not have gone better. With entry hazards tearing my Pokemon a new one with every switch, I had to take a little damage as I possibly could. Now I’ll Giga Drain so that Scizor could switch in. My Celebi carries an expert belt which I guess fools others into believing it has specs or a scarf. Samarium would hopefully follow this consensus and U-Turn only to eat HP Fire. On a side note, I’m thinking all Rotom’s should go to some kind of an accuracy school. So far every move that did not have perfect accuracy has missed, which seriously blows.

Does will-o-wisp ever hit? I guess it doesn’t matter that much, celebi isn’t a massive threat. Instinctively I go to switch in scizor, but the threat of hidden power fire deters me. Latios, on the other hand, can hover out of any skirmish with celebi without sustaining too much damage so that seems like the best choice. If celebi does carry hp ice, surely it's not about to be used.

Turn 15 (6 - 6)

samarium called Rotom-Wash back!
Celebi used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... The foe's Latios lost 18% of its health!
The foe's Latios had its energy drained!

70% vs
57% <--100%

Oh boy. This is why Samarium is #41 on the ladder and will probably continue to climb up there. He’s been making smart educated choices the entire battle. I could definitely learn a thing or two from him. Draco Meteor is expected and so Jirachi’s going to come in and foil his plans again. I don’t mind being tricked to hold a scarf since my rocks weren’t going anywhere and Jirachi could just spam Iron Head.

It is really tempting to just call upon some meteors to annihilate everything, but the hateful little pixie on my opponent’s team is still alive. After this match I’m trading psyshock for HP fire, I run away from most speed ties regardless.

Turn 16 (6 - 6)

Kazekage called Celebi back!
Jirachi lost 30% of its health!

70% -->
32% vs
57%

Once again, Samarium makes the safer and smarter move. Latios had taken a fair bit of damage at this point and so I was content with sacrificing my Jirachi to getting that paralysis on it. That would essentially remove Latios from the game and leave me with one dragon to deal with. That light at the end of the tunnel seemed to be getting brighter every turn.

Surf did less than I thought it would. I guess most jirachis I face are on rain teams. Well I’m not leaving latios as it can destroy everything on his team bar jirachi, once that's gone I may get away with a dragon pulse sweep. However, I don’t want anything else to get paralyzed (I hate you jirachi), so I’ll send in deoxys to die.

Turn 17 (6 - 6)

samarium sent out Deoxys-Defense!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Deoxys-Defense!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense is exerting its pressure!
Jirachi used Body Slam!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense lost 14% of its health!

38% vs 31% (Par) <--57%

This is the third time in a row that Samarium has foiled my plans to rule the world. Whatever, Deoxys can just watch as I return to full health so that Jirachi can take another shot at those dragons.

Hopefully my opponent will go for another attack and I can taunt him, preventing him from healing and bringing me closer to finishing this. If he uses Wish I might just commit suicide.

Turn 18 (6 - 6)

Jirachi used Wish!
Jirachi fell for the taunt!

44% (Taunt) vs 37% (Par)

Nothing to say here. My wish went through and now I’ll throw my Iron Heads to beat out his Night Shade with added flinches on the side.

I hate you jirachi. So much. But I’m not surprised, by this point I think I know my opponent well enough to know he’s a sensible battler, like myself. Now I just wait for Deoxys to be killed so I can revenge jirachi with Salamence EQ and finish this, so I just press a random button.

Turn 19 (6 - 6)

The foe's Deoxys-Defense used Magic Coat!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense shrouded itself with Magic Coat!
Jirachi used Iron Head!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense lost 23% of its health!
Jirachi's wish came true!

100% (Taunt) vs 20% (Par)

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Magic coat? Of all moves in the world, why magic coat? I guess it would beat taunters seeing as how Deoxys is neutered by them. Samarium had finally left an opening, and I intended to capitalize on this opportunity. I could have Dragonite come in a dragon dance the day away, but should his Salamence be scarfed, I’d be open to being revenge killed. The next best move was…

After rereading this and seeing how useless taunt and magic coat proved to be in this match I feel like I should explain deoxys' role. Obviously a team using scarf mence and specs jolt loves entry hazards. However, on an offensive team like mine giving an opponent a chance to perform some dances can be fatal, so something like ferrothorn would be stupid, hence taunt. And magic coat practically guarantees I'll get hazards up in some way, and it's very useful against pranksters.

Turn 20 (6 - 6)

Landorus-Therian intimidates the foe's Deoxys-Defense!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense's Attack fell!

100% -->
50% vs
26% (Par)

Nothing you can do to my Landorus bro. I could go for EQ but Latios and Rotom-W would force me to play some more switching games that I absolutely could not afford to play. Keeping in mind Samarium’s safe playing nature, I thought that he would switch in to Rotom-W. Go ahead do it. I dare you.

I got annoyed here as I just wanted deoxys to die so I could get on with the match, it also means I can't just revenge jirachi.

Turn 21 (6 - 6)

Landorus-Therian used Gravity!
Gravity intensified!
Landorus-Therian fell for the taunt!

50% (Taunt) vs 32% (Par)

*Sigh* That would be the safest move possible wouldn’t it? Well at least now everything eats a painful EQ at the hands of my Lando.

This move made me so happy, as the last few moves had been extremely frustrating but now deoxys can die and I can revenge it easily knowing now that it's not scarved.

Turn 22 (6 - 5)

Landorus-Therian used Earthquake!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense lost 30% of its health!
Landorus-Therian lost some of its HP!
The foe's Deoxys-Defense fainted!
samarium sent out Jolteon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Jolteon!

40% (Taunt) vs 88% <--0%

The devil finally bit the dust. Now Jolteon coming in on Landorus? That’s a dead give away of an incoming HP Ice.

Finally, I bring in specs jolt to kill Lando-T. Yes I know thunderbolt or volt switch would be better moves but if he does stay in I will feel so pathetically stupid, so hp ice it is, at least there's nothing to lose.

Turn 23 (6 - 5)

The foe's Jolteon used Hidden Power!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 7% of its health!

40% --> 68% vs 88%

Jirachi, you’re the star of this show. Seeing as how Jolteon had no lefties, I could only see it holding a choice specs. Which meant a Pokemon would be switching right into my Body Slam.

Jirachi is really starting to annoy me so I decide to bring in rotom and burn it, I know I will probably get paralyzed but I just really wanted to see jirachi writhing in burning pain. Besides I’m sure he’s expecting me to switch to scizor, which generally means switching to rotom is a good idea.

Turn 24 (6 - 5)

samarium called Jolteon back!
Jirachi used Body Slam!
The foe's Rotom-Wash lost 22% of its health!

74% vs 66% <--
88%

Ok Rotom-W again. This gives Celebi another shot at luring in Scizor for a KO. Though I took a note of how Jirachi seems to be failing when it comes to paralyzing my opponents. Sure I got the Deoxys, but that guy didn’t care about it now did it?

Okay I was quite lucky to get away with that. I’m fully intent on going for will-o-wisp, I mean it’s not going to miss again, is it? But surely that would be what he’s expecting, I mean what else can rotom do to jirachi? Plus he’s got a conkeldurr, who surely has guts. Therefore I decide to KO the, what I now believe to be, the conkeldurr looking to power up.

Turn 25 (6 - 5)

Pointed stones dug into Celebi!
The foe's Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective... Celebi lost 23% of its health!
Gravity returned to normal!

74% --> 10% vs
94%

Same strategy as last time. Samarium could also switch to his Latios, but we’ve danced before haven’t we?

In retrospect, that seemed very obvious. But at the time I was almost certain conkeldurr was coming in. Anyway, we’ve all learnt that latios has nothing to fear from celebi so that seems like the safest bet.

Turn 26 (6 - 5)

Celebi used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... The foe's Latios lost 20% of its health!
The foe's Latios had its energy drained!

18% vs
25% <--94%

Ok Samarium. So far you’ve gotten the better of me with just about every move. This time I’m ready though. I see your surf and raise you a Rotom. Or was I supposed to call it and then raise? Either way, your chips are mine.

To be honest, I’m not expecting jirachi to switch in, but I decide to ride the waves regardless because I really want it dead.

Turn 27 (6 - 5)

Kazekage called Celebi back!
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-W!
It's not very effective... Rotom-W lost 29% of its health!

18% --> 62% vs25%

Volt-Switch gets the KO and keeps my offensive momentum going at this point. Spreading a burn would be pointless given the fact that both of our Rotom’s are blind. Pain split would also be pointless as most of his Pokemon don’t have enough health to offer me any real recovery.

Why does it have to be between choice or recoil for latios? Can’t I just have immense power, switch moves and not take damage for it? Is that too much to ask? I guess it is. But it’s still annoying that I can’t just use dragon pulse now. Anyway, I still believe latios can be useful. I would switch to jolteon on the predictable volt switch but the amount of times I’ve switched him into a hydro pump stops me. With no brighter ideas I go to rotom as, with leftovers, it's my only poke with any form of recovery (I go for thunderbolt instead of pain split as there are times when you want to use an electric move but don't want to switch rotom out).

Turn 28 (6 - 5)

Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
The foe's Rotom-Wash lost 42% of its health!
Landorus-Therian intimidates the foe's Rotom-Wash!
The foe's Rotom-Wash's Attack fell!

62% --> 27% vs
46%

Well, well, well. If it isn’t this match up again. But things are going to be different this time Rotom. You see my Landorus carries Stone Edge, which packs just enough of a punch to KO just about everything you have left. I’m sure I had Samarium figured out for once. He was going to sacrifice a poke to get a safe switch in and maybe bring in Salamence.

That did more than I thought it would to rotom. Also the fact he brought in lando-t means that he will stone edge. Which means something will die. At this point I think latios is the most expendable member with such little health and I won't need him anymore if his death means I can bring in Salamence for free.

Turn 29 (6 - 5)

Landorus-Therian used Stone Edge!
The attack of Landorus-Therian missed!

27% vs13% <-- 46%

Well that’s that. I’m back on the defensive. At this point I’ve come to accept that my misses will happen eventually, whether I like it or not. Latios is just about to bite the dust anyway, meaning that he won’t be switching that guy out, hoping to do as much damage as possible to my team and get a KO or two. With the fact that I’ve been correctly predicting Surf which allowed me to safely switch in my Celebi and Rotom all match long made me believe that he wanted those out of the way in particular. So a dragon move was the safest move and the only thing that could get that job done for Samarium, something that I for once correctly anticipated.

Yeah! That’s what happens when you throw stones at jet planes. They come back down to hit you on the head. Well, they miss, but I prefer the imagery of the former scenario. Given lando-t is currently in and the amount to which I've spammed surf I assume jirachi won't be joining us, which means I can start killing stuff with latios, finally.

Turn 30 (6 - 5)

The foe's Latios used Dragon Pulse!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 22% of its health!

27% vs13%

We’ve been down this road countless times before. Except this time Latios can’t get the KO and can’t afford to switch out. I also had to say farewell to Jirachi who would not be able to wish back its health in time meaning that it was going to bite the dust the turn right after Latios did.

Have I mentioned that I hate jirachis? Because I really do. Anyway, latios is as good as dead now, so I may as well dragon pulse again to get jirachi in range of an entry hazard KO, and I’ll be able to revenge it easily with jolteon.

Turn 31 (6 - 4)

The foe's Latios used Dragon Pulse!
It's not very effective... Jirachi lost 24% of its health!
Jirachi used Body Slam!
The foe's Latios lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Latios fainted!

9% vs 75% <-- 0%

Jolteon? Wait a minute, now that I think of it, thanks to its specs, this guy can sweep my team in its current state barring Landorus who can take its electric attacks like a boss. Taking a page from Samarium’s book, I made the safest move possible.

Time for specs jolt to wreak havoc.

Turn 32 (6 - 4)

Landorus-Therian intimidates the foe's Jolteon!
The foe's Jolteon's Attack fell!
The foe's Jolteon used Thunderbolt!
It doesn't affect Landorus-Therian...

14% vs 75%

AND IT WORKED! NOW BITE THE DUST WITH A STONE EDGE JOLTEON OR ANY POKEMON YOU CAN THROW MY WAY SAMARIUM!

Come on! Just let me kill Jirachi. Please. Him bringing lando-t in again is annoying. At this point I suddenly realize that even though EQ seems like an obvious move I'm pretty sure Stone Edge will kill every remaining member of my team. So I can't bring Salamence in. Maybe Jolteon will have to be sacrificed...

Turn 33 (5 - 4)

The foe's Jolteon used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Landorus-Therian lost 14% of its health!
Landorus-Therian fainted!
Kazekage sent out Conkeldurr!
Pointed stones dug into Conkeldurr!
Conkeldurr is hurt by the spikes!

0% -->69% vs 75%

Wait wtf was that… Did I see that correctly? Did his specs Jolteon just switch moves? Damn it… Outsmarted once again and perhaps for the last time this match. Please Conkeldurr, tell me you can take a thunderbolt … or pull some serious Jedi Mind Tricks

Seriously, did you all think I’d have 4 choiced pokemon? Tbh, it’s not as fun when you’re killing pokes on 14%, but when you kill a full health gliscor or lando who’ve just switched into a thunderbolt, it’s unbelievably fun. Hmm, maybe I'm evil, maybe jirachi's the good guy and that's why I hate him. No, jirachi is definitely the evil one. Anyway, him bringing in conkeldurr is annoying, as it can mach punch me, though I’m sure jolteon can sweep the rest of his team, so I'm switching out. On a side note, I am quite ashamed of myself for taking 33 turns to kill 1 poke, but that doesn’t matter, because pokemon is just like dominoes… right!?

Turn 34 (5 - 4)

samarium called Jolteon back!
samarium sent out Salamence!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Salamence!
Conkeldurr used Drain Punch!
It's not very effective... The foe's Salamence lost 27% of its health!
The foe's Salamence had its energy drained!
Conkeldurr restored HP using its Leftovers!

86% vs48% <--
75%

Well that’s it. GG Samarium. Adamant Moxiemence does indeed destroy the rest of my team. It was a great match.

Why couldn’t I just have pressed thunderbolt? But why wouldn’t he use mach punch? Maybe he doesn’t have any priority. That’s really good for me. Not that it matters as it’s time for my salamence sweep.

Turn 35 (5 - 3)

The foe's Salamence used Outrage!
Conkeldurr lost 52% of its health!
Conkeldurr used Ice Punch!
It's super effective! The foe's Salamence lost 48% of its health!
The foe's Salamence fainted!
Conkeldurr restored HP using its Leftovers!

40% vs51% <--
0%

Wait, what? 52%? The only way that could be possible is if Salamence was either Jolly, or its attack was not maxed out. I have one more shot at winning this, but the game is still far from over.

52%! Damn. I mean its jolly and Conk is really physically bulky, but still. I guess I’ve usually acquired some moxie boosts and residual damage by the time I face Conkeldurr so I’ve never seen his bulk as a problem. Anyway, bullet punch will finish it off. Just where to go from there?

Turn 36 (4 - 3)

The foe's Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Conkeldurr lost 40% of its health!
Conkeldurr fainted!
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-W!

0% --> 50% vs 51%

After Conkeldurr pulled off the briefest clutch play I have seen so far in this game, I felt like he deserved a break. He was pretty old, teaching humans how to use concrete and whatnot since ancient times. A true good samaritan. May it rest in peace. Back to the game now, Rotom was the last pokemon I could switch in on that Scizor since Dragonite was in no way going to be able to beat both Scizor and Jolteon since bullet punch brings me into KO range from a thunderbolt while Extremespeed would not be able to do above 70% without some kind of boost. Let’s go KO that Scizor and see where that puts me.

Okay, he will obviously use hydro pump as that will kill every poke I have left. At this point rotom-W is the weakest link as I’m sure scizor will be more useful against dragonite than rotom will.

Turn 37 (4 - 2)

Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!
It's not very effective... The foe's Rotom-Wash lost 17% of its health!
The foe's Rotom-Wash fainted!

56% vs 63% <-- 0%

OK. Jolteon. The only way I’ll be able to beat that Scizor, if Dragonite manages to KO the Jolteon, is if I keep Rotom alive. My thoughts were thinning as I really didn’t have much to contemplate. My defeat was finally at hand. But that won’t stop me from making the best moves that I could. We’ve seen that lady luck has taken pity on us before to compensate for our blind Rotoms. Also yay Hydro Pump hit!

At this point I’m feeling really cocky, and I think rightfully so. Jolteon kills both rotom and dragonite and both the pixies will die to entry hazards regardless of how jolteon will handle them.

Turn 38 (3 - 2)

Celebi fainted!
The foe's Jolteon used Thunderbolt!
But there was no target...
Kazekage sent out Dragonite!
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite!

56% --> 0% -->75% vs 63%

Its time to start congratulating my Pokemon on a job well done. Celebi you’ve also done a great job. Thanks for all your hard work this match.

Hidden Power Ice kills Dragonite, then thunderbolt kills rotom. I’ve won! You gave me a good game Kazekage, but you should have known after your fight with Sasuke that lightning types are just too much.

Turn 39 (3 - 1)

Dragonite used ExtremeSpeed!
The foe's Jolteon lost 63% of its health!
The foe's Jolteon fainted!
Dragonite restored HP using its Leftovers!

81% vs39% <-- 0%

Dragonite, although you haven’t done anything this match, I still appreciate your presence on my team. Don’t feel bad that you were essentially usele—what? Did I hear that right? Bleach is finally going to end? No? But Dragonite is alive and kicking1? Lady luck, you truly are a kind one. But once again, this match is still not over yet. Will you smile again on Samarium?

What!? But why didn’t you bring Dragonite in on Jolteon earlier? I guess at that point it would have given Salamence an opening to begin his sweep. I should've thunderbolted conkeldurr. Regardless, well played, you deserved to win, and if I’d have known you were in fact Namikaze, that extremespeed might have been more obvious.

Turn 40 (3 - 0)

The foe's Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Dragonite lost 53% of its health!
Dragonite used Earthquake!
The foe's Scizor lost 39% of its health!
The foe's Scizor fainted!
Kazekage won the battle!

28% vs 0%

And thus ends one of the greatest matches ever played in pokemon history. It was like a roller coaster if you ask me. The tide of the match turned more often than a feather in the breeze. I’ve definitely learned a lot from this battle and I could not ask for a better game in general. I mean 40 turns me being on the edge of my seat sweating bullets and balding simultaneously? That must attest to something.

I guess as the loser there's not much for me to say here. Except that this isn't the last you've seen of me and next time we fight it will be (pause and turn to face the camera) your last. MWAHAHAHAHA

Props
-Stone Edge missing on that Latios in turn #29. It didn’t hit me then, but I had just about lost the game if it did since Salamence does finish off what was left of my team with ease thanks to the hazards. With any attack, it would have KO’ed Lando and its subsequent moxie boost would have helped to ravage my team.
-Did anyone else notice that absolutely NO hax occurred this match? I mean sure I got the paralysis on Deoxys, but he wasn’t even paralyzed a single turn for it.
-Sce4’s ability as a pokemon battler. He made the safest moves through out the entire battle and got a best of me a majority of the time as a result. I used to question the Deoxys, but in retrospect, every other hazard layer in the game can be set up on in OU while that guy shuts down toxic users and taunters alike and, as in this battle, did its job to lay down hazards great.
-Jirachi’s inability to flinch in general and paralyze anything other than Deoxys (which literally did not affect the game) actually added to the quality of the match if you ask me.

Slops
-Damn Rotoms can’t hit anything unless their moves have perfect accuracy. That goes for all moves this match with under 90% accuracy too barring the one hydro pump. I mean seriously, wtf was that about?

Props
-My opponent for the terrific game and his praise of me. Just know that anything good he says about me goes for him as well but more so as he won.

-The match itself felt so fun. It felt really fast paced and yet lasted 40 turns.
-Expert belts may not provide as much power as choice specs, but seriously consider it, it’s an excellent item.
-Deoxys-D did more damage (I’m sure) than any other member of my team and it has no attacks. Without you this match wouldn’t have been close at all.
-I’m sure my opponent will mention this but there were no critical hits (which has never happened to me), flinching or full paralysis (which has never happened to me in a game with jirachi)
-I didn’t swear once, well I did when the game was actually being played, but not in the warstory. It’s harder than it sounds.

Slops
-Jirachi. I hate that the first warstory I’ve ever done had to feature this (see, it’s really hard not to swear). And, to add insult to injury, I didn't even get to see it faint.

Thanks for your time everyone! Throw in a Luvdisc if you liked it please!

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
i liked reading this.

props to both of you for playing a good game and actually giving thoughtful comments unlike the lesser warstories out there.

luv'eddddddddddd

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
witty comments and lovely format.

Namikaze - what happened to keeping Jirachi healthy throughout the match?

Sce4 - what happened to removing Jirachi ASAP? You pretty much gave it 2 freebies x_x;; Sometimes you need to play aggressively to win :o

That was a great battle! Sce4, props to you for bluffing a choice item--you're not the only one who loves to do that!

It was a pretty nice battle. Pocket already picked the serious misplays with Jirachi on both sides (lol leaving it in turn 3 against Scizor), but apart from that there were few mistakes and a really well written warstory.

Thanks for reading the warstory everyone! Your reaction have made writing it really worthwhile.

I definitely agree that keeping Jirachi in against that scizor was a huge misplay that almost cost me the game immediately, but keeping it healthy became next to impossible with the hazards and the constant switching. As such, i went on to focus more on spreading paralysis on those dragons, which sadly didn't work out. Regardless Jirachi performed excellently and was the star of the match if you ask me.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea as Pocket pointed out, I don't quite think either of you utilised your game plans very well. I also didn't really consider Namikaze quite ask dragon weak as he made out (SDef Jirachi to handle Lati@s, and between Intimidate on Landorus-T, burn support on Rotom W, ES from Nite and IP Conk, you had physical dragons checked o.k).

I find it hard to be critical however, when this is prolly one of the best warstories iv seen in around 6 months, easy. (Prolly due to no-one posting them). Its always great to see double commentary in a warstory, and while your lines were a little short at times, you clearly put in a lot of effort into doing this, and you did a great job, well done!

Bryce

Lun
Excellent war story.Really enjoyed reading it.just a little something on turn 2
"Scizors are usually banded.From seeing two banded pokes on Samarium’s team, I could tell that he’d be switching in and out a lot. As far as I was concerned, Scizor could not KO Jirachi and so I went for the rocks."

I think you meant two choiced pokes.

Long time lurker here. Especially of warstories. Just got an account and I thought this warstory was so good it deserved some praise.

Both players offered really entertaining commentary. The dual commentary isn't something I've seen a whole lot and it really helped me understand both sides of the match a lot better. As a newer player I really think I learned much more with commentary given by both players.

The death pictures were a really nice touch that I haven't seen before.

Oh and I've been using a team with a life orb jolteon but you've convinced me to give expert belt a try.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Cool warstory some comments were a little short, but that was mostly because there wasn't a lot to comment during the turn, the only let down were a couple of misplays on your part (not sacrificing some pokemon that would die to hazard damage, not using wish were you should have to keep Jirachi alive), but nothing that was really stupid and mostly things that could happen to everyone in the middle of a match. Double comments are always great and everything was explained well, Formating was pretty standart but thats not bad because it makes it easy too read, the Match wasn't the greatest of all time but certainly a good one especially because there wasn't a single crit (WoW/Hydro Pump/ SE misses are annoying, but they happen and a little bad luck makes a match even more interesting^^).
Overall a great warstory and people should post a lot more of these (as long as they got the quality of this one).

I enjoyed reading this quite a bit. The battle was dynamic and the commentary was entertaining. As others have already pointed out, there were some misplays and some comments were a little short. Very good warstory overall though.

Appreciate the praise immensely, so thank you all for your comments. Though Namikaze deserves most of the praise, he did all the pictures and percentages. You are all right about my mistakes, but you realise when writing a warstory, and reading your opponents comments, every way you could've won a match anyway. I will still learn from the mistakes you pointed out though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)