Please ban Liepard + assist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so i had a match on pokemon showdown, this was the 3rd time this has happened to me so i decided i wanted to do something about it.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-59520901

In this battle i vs a liepard that has assist both assist and whirlwind, they also have a ditto but since you cant use assist to get transform, the only move you can use assist with is whirlwind and because Liepard has prankster it has a priority whirlwind. To make this even worse assist has a cap of 32 pp. (I got to about 28 assists before i lost and he killed 4 pokemon that way.) Now this also happened with riolu, but it wasn't as bad as it only had base 60 speed and it didn't have prankster. The way it did this was through using roar, and then using copycat. Another thing with riolu is it had to use roar first and then you can start using copycat. But i don't think many people would let it use roar. With Liepard because whirlwind is the only viable move with assist it doesn't even have to do that. The only flaw with Liepard is you have to set up hazards, all your other pokemon have to be dead or have moves that assist isn't compatible with, and also priority moves on pokemon that are faster than liepard go through it. Eg: Fake out on my infernape. I've thought up a two solutions to this problem as listed below.

Solutions:

• Ban the combination of Liepard + assist
  • Make it so that copycat/assist/mimic doesn't work with phasing moves to prevent all future possibilities of this problem.
Checks and counters:

(btw, liepard has 106 base speed so if you want to use a priority move to counter it, you atleast have to be faster than that.)
  • Something with magic guard
  • something with magic bounce
  • something with protect (king shield doesn't work)
  • something with prankster + taunt (has to be faster than liepard.)
  • Something with a strong priority move eg: mach punch (has to be faster than liepard.)
I hope this gets noticed.

- Pancakewentsplat

Btw, if this is in the wrong thread i couldn't find a ban thread so i thought the suggestions thread was the next best thing. If an admin finds this in the wrong spot can you please move it. =)

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
  • Make it so that copycat/assist/mimic doesn't work with phasing moves to prevent all future possibilities of this problem.
I hope you realize that we're not Game Freak... ?_? We can't change how Assist works...?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This was a very popular strategy in BW NU for a time, and it was so hard to beat there that Prankster+Assist was banned in NU!

It's not as effective in OU, although it's still hard to beat. While I doubt it'll ever be banned in OU, here are a few tips to beat it:
- Never let your hazard setter come into battle unless Ditto is gone. This way, the opponent can't set up hazards.
- Bring something that can surprise and KO Arbok, then lay down some Toxic Spikes.
- Use MegaAbsol.
Really, the only thing you can do is play around it - it's not a strategy that has true counters (again, MegaAbsol exempt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)