SM OU Please help me with my team? :)

Hello! I am very new to competitive battling. I really want a kick ass team. I've been experimenting with a few variations of teams on Pokemon Showdown. This one has worked quite well, I've lost a few, I've won a few lol. Most of the ones I've lost are because people used a team of legendaries or had Ultra Beasts.. I don't want to use legendaries on my team. Anyway, please help me tweak my team?

Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw

This Pokemon has been kicking ass on Showdown. Reading on forums gave me the impression that Bewear was not good to use in competitive but on Showdown he's been my hero, and has replaced Miltank as my new favourite Pokemon! He takes down Pokemon with one punch and people have often forfeit the match from shock lol. I changed the EVs a bit, before he had more in defense but he seems to do better when I max out his HP. I probably need to split the EVs and put some in in special defense but am not sure yet. I was going to get rid of Bewear but he's my saviour now.

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Fire Blast

This is another Pokemon that I read online wouldn't do well in OU. But between him and Bewear he is kicking ass. I love it when people switch it with a steel type and don't realise he has Fire Blast! Somebody switched in with a Tapu and Muk OHKO them with Poison Jab. It is recommended to put Assault Vest on Muk but Bewear has that item, so.. He seems to be doing quite well with Black Sludge.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch

I was using a Lum Berry on Dragonite with Outrage, stupidly forgetting that people could switch in with a fairy Pokemon. So I'm not sure what item to use instead. Perhaps Weakness Policy? Dragonite is usually left til the very end if I can help it. Sometimes I am in a situation where I wish I had Fire Punch instead, but I have no thunder coverage so I guess Thunder Punch would be best?

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Aromatherapy
- Light Screen
- Moonblast
- U-turn

I love Ribombee. Usually I just start with him and use Light Screen then U-turn. Sometimes I will use Moonblast to OHKO a dark lead Pokemon. I just wish the little bug had more bulk. I am thinking of replacing him with Mimikyu. I did start using Mimikyu while experimenting on Showdown but I'm not sure if I should go back to leading with Mimikyu or not. Mimikyu would use Trick Room then Destiny Bond and I'd bring out Bewear which worked well a lot of the time.

Slowbro (F) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Calm Mind

This set is working well so far but it's a shame Slowbro loses Regenator when he mega evolves. I tend to mega evolve him as soon as he enters battle, but maybe I should leave that until later in the game. Sometimes I wish Slowbro had ice beam but am not sure what move to replace. Also not sure if Trick Room should be on the list. Still wondering whether to make this team a Trick Room one or not!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

This Pokemon is performing quite well but might be replaceable. I do love him though but he hasn't shone like Muk and Bewear have. Anyway, his role is self explanatory.

I am aware I really need someone with Rapid Spin. I have tried using Excadrill but he just hasn't shone. I used Blastoise but he wasn't amazing either. Maybe I should replace Slowbro with Blastoise for his Rapid Spin.. But then I won't be able to have a second trick room user. I love Starmie but he's quite frail too. Anyway if anyone could help me out a bit that would be amazing :)

Hi and welcome too competitive now your team looks cool but the fact the you do not wanna use legendaries is not gonna make your team very "Kick Ass" and some Pokemon you choose are not the best viable Pokemon such as Ribombee. I would suggest you reading this so u can get a glimpse at pokemon that are viable
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-viability-ranking-thread.3590726/ by the time you understand hopefuly this team would be better .

Besides unviabile pokemon, consider changing Assault Vest over Black Sludge on Alola-Muk. With Assault Vest Muk is allowed too switch in into special attack and take hits easily it can also provide a Tapu Lele Check. Muk doesn't wanna be switch into all Special attacks though so keep him healthy since he lacks unreliable recovery is better of switching out into him is depending on your opponents Pokemon. Also I am aware Bewear has Assault Vest but there is no Item Clause in ou so having two of the same items is fine but not all.

Next I would suggest Psyshock over Trick Room on M-Slowbro. Since you have trick room on Slowbro it works on pokemon two pokemon too abuse it Bewear and Alola-Muk even though Ferrothorn is fast on Trick Room he better off without it due too gyro ball. Psyshock provides doing good damage on high spdef pokemon such as Chansey if you manage too set up a few calm minds. Also you won't usually Mega Slowbro easily because losing regenerator on the wrong pokemon would kind of be a bit risky for him when u could've switched him and recovered damage.

Besides that it seems ok hopefully you understand the concept of using viabile pokemon and hopefully you would get a hazard removal and welcome too competitive I hoped this helped. :]

Hi and welcome too competitive now your team looks cool but the fact the you do not wanna use legendaries is not gonna make your team very "Kick Ass" and some Pokemon you choose are not the best viable Pokemon such as Ribombee. I would suggest you reading this so u can get a glimpse at pokemon that are viable
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-viability-ranking-thread.3590726/ by the time you understand hopefuly this team would be better .

Besides unviabile pokemon, consider changing Assault Vest over Black Sludge on Alola-Muk. With Assault Vest Muk is allowed too switch in into special attack and take hits easily it can also provide a Tapu Lele Check. Muk doesn't wanna be switch into all Special attacks though so keep him healthy since he lacks unreliable recovery is better of switching out into him is depending on your opponents Pokemon. Also I am aware Bewear has Assault Vest but there is no Item Clause in ou so having two of the same items is fine but not all.

Next I would suggest Psyshock over Trick Room on M-Slowbro. Since you have trick room on Slowbro it works on pokemon two pokemon too abuse it Bewear and Alola-Muk even though Ferrothorn is fast on Trick Room he better off without it due too gyro ball. Psyshock provides doing good damage on high spdef pokemon such as Chansey if you manage too set up a few calm minds. Also you won't usually Mega Slowbro easily because losing regenerator on the wrong pokemon would kind of be a bit risky for him when u could've switched him and recovered damage.

Besides that it seems ok hopefully you understand the concept of using viabile pokemon and hopefully you would get a hazard removal and welcome too competitive I hoped this helped. :]
That helps a lot, thank you :) I will check out the link you provided! I thought you couldn't have duplicate items per team in competitive??

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
That helps a lot, thank you :) I will check out the link you provided! I thought you couldn't have duplicate items per team in competitive??
That's only in Battle Spot and in-game formats. In Smogon formats there is no item clause, if you're looking to use your team in BS or some ingame metagame then this might not be the right place, since we have different ban lists and clauses, I'm pretty sure there's a BS RMT subforum though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)