Metagame Pokébilities

Can we by any chance get a VR list? Here are some of my opinions about potential ranking :D

Clefable: Quite a strong mon with lot of utility, although the downside is that its very very slow, and hence not terribly hard to deal with. In fact it's quite easily checkable with stuff such as Heatran, but people tend to not use it that much. I would see it more like in an A+ position rather than S.

Dracozolt: Solid S in my opinion. Yes Hustle reduces it's accuracy, but the accuracy is still relatively high, and if you are expecting it to hit a single time, it most likely will land the hit anyways. The downside of Hustle really only hinders its ability to sweep, but it can do so much more. That being said, I don't think Dracozolt is broken, as it have numerous offensive checks as well as a wide variety of defensive counters. With the current aggressiveness of the meta, it is in a very balanced position. It is still potentially broken if some other offensive pokemons gets banned and the meta drifts more defensive.

Conkeldurr: A solid wallbreaker, its presense pretty much means it can almost always trade with at least one pokemon of the other team. I would put it around A, as it is way too slow.

Magnezone: Another powerhouse with the ability to trap Steel and has a very solid power. Sturdy also makes it a very solid revenge killer, in desperate situations. Quicker than Conk and can afford to run items and can also deal with Clefable. Solid A+ and even potential S.

Some honorable mentions that are not as common, but is just as strong or even stronger than the popular choice.

Reuniclus: A monster in this meta. Reuniclus is extremely hard to deal with, and has a variety of options to run such as Acid Armor, Calm Mind, both set up moves, or even just Assault Vest. Psychic + Fighting coverage is just about enough to force a wide variety of Pokemons out and give Reuniclus a free turn to set up. As most attacker, especially those who perform well against Psychic types, are on the physical side, Acid Armor is an insanely strong move that can often declare victory after being used. Reuniclus's ability is also perfect for it to do its role, as Magic Guard and Regenerator are the two best abilities to prevent the pokemon from being worn down. This makes Reuniclus mostly healthy even at mid-late game, where its checks and counters are worn down. Taunt users would be the best counter to Reuniclus, however most taunters in this meta have issues dealing with Psychic + Fighting coverage, and are also quite special oriented, which allows them to be taken advantage of by AV Reuniclus. With all of these combined, I would personally consider Reuniclus Either S- or S.

Cinccino: A well above average speed paired with Skill Link and Technician makes Cinccino much more threatening than it looks like. Choice items are great to either boosts up its power or its speed for different situations, but King's Rock definitely gets a mention. With almost 50% flinch rate, it is a solid item for Cinccino to fully abuse its speed potential, making it much harder to play against. Cinccino also beats Sturdy / Sash pokemons with ease. On top of all that, it also gains U-turn for team momentum. A very solid A rank pokemon in my opinion.

Feel free to add on to this, I would love to know more interesting pokemons through this!

Hi! I'm new to this metagame (and OM in general honestly)
But this one looked really fun
My first attempt is building a Sand Team
:gastrodon: :heracross: :steelix: :gigalith: :hippowdon: :dracozolt:

:Hippowdon: :Gigalith: The main thing I went out of my way to do is to run double sand setters. Running one, you frequently run into the issue where you have to guess whether your opponent will call your bluff and send Politoed in T1, or if they'll respect that you have a slower setter, and put something else in turn 1. With two setters, you can always ensure you get sand up while forcing their setter out, and you don't have to give anything up for it in this metagame!

:Heracross: Also, Heracross looks really weird in this team (still deciding how I feel about it), but I feel that Hera in general is very good in this OM, having an amazing suite of abilities (Guts/Moxie/Swarm), allowing it to shred teams with Guts+Swarm Boosted Megahorns, or extend its own longevity with Resttalk Facade Megahorn sets that still do chunks. Sand aids the offensive set by speeding it towards Swarm range, and isn't as scary to the defensive sets because you're almost always asleep (Sand also means that you don't have to worry about being full HP and unable to go to sleep when you need it)

Other than that, I think this team is fairly standard:
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon is a must on Sand imo, is an amazing bandaid to help the rain matchup (as well as other sand teams, and being one of the few dracozolt answers)
:dracozolt: This mon is straight up broken in this format IMO, outspeeds most of the metagame in sand, and that plus a Banded Bolt Beak* (Hustle permitting) is enough to ohko a massive portion on the metagame, and 2hko the rest. It also has options like Outrage to hit grounds, and Fire Fang/EQ to hit steels.

I think I'll try building Hail next, but I just wanted to post to say thanks for this amazing OM, and I've been having a blast!
*Thanks for pointing that out, I read it over four times and missed it every single time ;-;

Last edited:

:Hippowdon: :Gigalith: The main thing I went out of my way to do is to run double sand setters. Running one, you frequently run into the issue where you have to guess whether your opponent will call your bluff and send Politoed in T1, or if they'll respect that you have a slower setter, and put something else in turn 1. With two setters, you can always ensure you get sand up while forcing their setter out, and you don't have to give anything up for it in this metagame!

:Heracross: Also, Heracross looks really weird in this team (still deciding how I feel about it), but I feel that Hera in general is very good in this OM, having an amazing suite of abilities (Guts/Moxie/Swarm), allowing it to shred teams with Guts+Swarm Boosted Megahorns, or extend its own longevity with Resttalk Facade Megahorn sets that still do chunks. Sand aids the offensive set by speeding it towards Swarm range, and isn't as scary to the defensive sets because you're almost always asleep (Sand also means that you don't have to worry about being full HP and unable to go to sleep when you need it)

:Gastrodon: Gastrodon is a must on Sand imo, is an amazing bandaid to help the rain matchup (as well as other sand teams, and being one of the few dracozolt answers)
:dracozolt: This mon is straight up broken in this format IMO, outspeeds most of the metagame in sand, and that plus a Banded Bolt Beam (Hustle permitting) is enough to ohko a massive portion on the metagame, and 2hko the rest. It also has options like Outrage to hit grounds, and Fire Fang/EQ to hit steels.

I think I'll try building Hail next, but I just wanted to post to say thanks for this amazing OM, and I've been having a blast!
Dracozolt bolt beam? What ice move does it have lol

:dracozolt: This mon is straight up broken in this format IMO, outspeeds most of the metagame in sand, and that plus a Banded Bolt Beak* (Hustle permitting) is enough to ohko a massive portion on the metagame, and 2hko the rest. It also has options like Outrage to hit grounds, and Fire Fang/EQ to hit steels.

*Thanks for pointing that out, I read it over four times and missed it every single time ;-;
Could u provide a pokepaste so we can test the team out? Thanks in advance.

Could u provide a pokepaste so we can test the team out? Thanks in advance.
The offensive variant of this team that I started on the ladder with is here: https://pokepast.es/e18b10ca072ead69
I've also been testing a defensive variant with the bulkier heracross and Bronzong over Steelix (I think Bronzong is criminally underrated in this format) which is here: https://pokepast.es/1b82f1ab002dd3cc

Would love any feedback from playtesting from battlers far better than I haha

Can we by any chance get a VR list? Here are some of my opinions about potential ranking :D

Clefable: Quite a strong mon with lot of utility, although the downside is that its very very slow, and hence not terribly hard to deal with. In fact it's quite easily checkable with stuff such as Heatran, but people tend to not use it that much. I would see it more like in an A+ position rather than S.

Dracozolt: Solid S in my opinion. Yes Hustle reduces it's accuracy, but the accuracy is still relatively high, and if you are expecting it to hit a single time, it most likely will land the hit anyways. The downside of Hustle really only hinders its ability to sweep, but it can do so much more. That being said, I don't think Dracozolt is broken, as it have numerous offensive checks as well as a wide variety of defensive counters. With the current aggressiveness of the meta, it is in a very balanced position. It is still potentially broken if some other offensive pokemons gets banned and the meta drifts more defensive.

Conkeldurr: A solid wallbreaker, its presense pretty much means it can almost always trade with at least one pokemon of the other team. I would put it around A, as it is way too slow.

Magnezone: Another powerhouse with the ability to trap Steel and has a very solid power. Sturdy also makes it a very solid revenge killer, in desperate situations. Quicker than Conk and can afford to run items and can also deal with Clefable. Solid A+ and even potential S.

Some honorable mentions that are not as common, but is just as strong or even stronger than the popular choice.

Reuniclus: A monster in this meta. Reuniclus is extremely hard to deal with, and has a variety of options to run such as Acid Armor, Calm Mind, both set up moves, or even just Assault Vest. Psychic + Fighting coverage is just about enough to force a wide variety of Pokemons out and give Reuniclus a free turn to set up. As most attacker, especially those who perform well against Psychic types, are on the physical side, Acid Armor is an insanely strong move that can often declare victory after being used. Reuniclus's ability is also perfect for it to do its role, as Magic Guard and Regenerator are the two best abilities to prevent the pokemon from being worn down. This makes Reuniclus mostly healthy even at mid-late game, where its checks and counters are worn down. Taunt users would be the best counter to Reuniclus, however most taunters in this meta have issues dealing with Psychic + Fighting coverage, and are also quite special oriented, which allows them to be taken advantage of by AV Reuniclus. With all of these combined, I would personally consider Reuniclus Either S- or S.

Cinccino: A well above average speed paired with Skill Link and Technician makes Cinccino much more threatening than it looks like. Choice items are great to either boosts up its power or its speed for different situations, but King's Rock definitely gets a mention. With almost 50% flinch rate, it is a solid item for Cinccino to fully abuse its speed potential, making it much harder to play against. Cinccino also beats Sturdy / Sash pokemons with ease. On top of all that, it also gains U-turn for team momentum. A very solid A rank pokemon in my opinion.

Feel free to add on to this, I would love to know more interesting pokemons through this!
A side note on Cinccino, Protective Pads and Silk Scarf are also great options as Protective Pads help with the rising amount of Rough Skin/Iron Barbs+Rocky Helmet pokemon that would take Cinccino down after only a single Tail Slap and Silk Scarf making its Tail Slap even more terrifying and powerful.

Stall is surprisingly not seen too much in the meta despite how amazing it is. I may not have the most elo, but that's because I'm a bad player, not because of the pokemon I use. Stall is absolutely busted, even more so than weather offense (which wouldn't be the case if Excadrill and Dracovish weren't banned), but nobody ever uses stall teams. The reason for this is probably because stall isn't an exciting playstyle, but if the community welcomed the playstyle more, it would be found that it is busted.

Stall is surprisingly not seen too much in the meta despite how amazing it is. I may not have the most elo, but that's because I'm a bad player, not because of the pokemon I use. Stall is absolutely busted, even more so than weather offense (which wouldn't be the case if Excadrill and Dracovish weren't banned), but nobody ever uses stall teams. The reason for this is probably because stall isn't an exciting playstyle, but if the community welcomed the playstyle more, it would be found that it is busted.
Ladder No.1 used to be stall user, now he's No.2.
Also I feel that honestly the strongest pokemons are those whom have only 1 ability, sadly. Kinda defies the purpose of this meta.

Stall is surprisingly not seen too much in the meta despite how amazing it is
I've been using a stall team and it has reached the top ten several times,

:Clefable::Zapdos::Heatran::Garchomp::Ferrothorn::Weezing-Galar:

The gameplan is pretty simple. Set hazards and cause chip damage with Garchomp and Ferrothorn (I usually lead with Chomp), use Heatran to trap nuisances (like Defog Corviknight, opposing Clefable, and even Toxapex switch-ins), counter all sorts of things with Weezing, and keep the team healthy with WishPort Clefable.

Weezing-Galar in particular is amazing in this format. Neutralizing Gas + Levitate allows it to counter so much more than if it just had one of those abilities. It is essential for dealing with Conkeldurr, but it is also a great switch-in to things like Hippowdon, Krookodile, and Garchomp. It is also excellent at handling Stored Power Clefable in case Heatran is gone. Mine runs a bit of speed so it can outrun and Haze standard Clef as long as you can get it in safely (Teleport Clefable helps with this). Misty Terrain frankly hurts more than it helps since it makes it harder to status the opponents, but it can be worked around and it has its benefits.

While it's true that many of the others primarily use one just ability, most of them certainly benefit from the occasional trigger of the second ability (i.e. Flame Body Heatran burning U-turning Corviknight, Zapdos being able to pressure stall while having Static, and Garchomp sometimes getting a free turn thanks to Sand Veil when playing against Hippowdon and co).

The team struggles against Zamazenta, Reuniclus, rain teams, and the occasional Sigilyph and Nidoking. Previously I ran specially defensive Hydreigon in Zapdos' slot to help with Reuniclus and Sigilyph (and also Magnezone), but the team just got steamrolled by Zamazenta, so Zapdos is in the that slot atm. The team also wishes it had room for a Rapid Spinner. It currently doesn't run Defog because removing my own hazards is annoying and I like being able to spread Toxic/Toxic Spikes with Zapdos and Weezing, but it could easily be added.

Last edited:
The team struggles against Zamazenta, Reuniclus, rain teams, and the occasional Sigilyph and Nidoking. Previously I ran specially defensive Hydreigon in Zapdos' slot to help with Reuniclus and Sigilyph (and also Magnezone), but the team just got steamrolled by Zamazenta, so Zapdos is in the that slot atm. The team also wishes it had room for a Rapid Spinner. It currently doesn't run Defog because removing my own hazards is annoying and I like being able to spread Toxic/Toxic Spikes with Zapdos and Weezing, but it could easily be added.
I would like to recommend Obstagoon as a replacement of Heatran, while it does not offer a lot of defensive utility, it can heavily pressure most Magic Guard users. If you find Acid Armor Reuniclus too problematic or wants to be even more defensive, Jellicent is an interesting pokemon right now, being able to use taunt to shut down reuniclus and clefable as well as having numerous utility/coverage options to cover up your team weakness.

Some pokemon that could be useful if pokebilities had lower tiers

Corsola- Probably pokebilities NU or pokebilities PU because of Hustle and rather meager stats, but the only pokemon with Regenerator+Natural Cure, so it could be especially frustrating

Butterfree- Quiver Dance with 92% accurate Hurricanes and 97% accurate Sleep Powders that will hit neutrally on anything that normally has a 2x resistance to it? Yes, please (we're just lucky that Yanmega isn't in gen 8 with Heavy Duty Boots being added as an item). Probably around Corsola in pokebilities NU or PU

Berry abusers- Ok, these are already ok, but with Corviknight and Galvantula running around with Unnerve, it can make it frustrating to get these things in battle. I've found the best abusers are Snorlax, Diggersby, and Sceptile. They already see some usage, but they would see much more in lower tiers. Probably pokebilities UU or RU

Gossifleur- Already has seen some fringe usage, but the ability to slow down other pokemon along with Regenerator is really nice to get in some pokemon that normally underspeed another. I'd say pokebilities RU if I had to guess

Rain abusers- I think automatic weather setters should be banned from pokebilities UU or below if they were to come into existence because those things are great with all the insane abusers running around. Most rain abusers range from pokebilities OU already to pokebilities RU

Scrafty- IntiMoxie+Shed Skin is really nice as status has a 1/3 chance to just bounce off of it while it sets up and can turn the tide of a game extremely quickly. This would be brilliant in pokebilities UU or RU

Mawile- Really underrated. Debatably the best typing in the game (even though it has mediocre stats), Sheer Force (which is extremely helpful, especially with Life Orb), Intimidate, and preventation of Intimidate with Hyper Cutter. Around the Corsola and Butterfree area in pokebilities PU or NU

Aggron- Sturdy, double power Heavy Slams with Heavy Metal, and no recoil Head Smashes with Rock Head means you hit like a truck, and if Aggron can't find an opening, Custap Berry+Stealth Rock+Endeavor sets exist. Solid for a possible pokebilities RU

Heracross- Busted. Guts+Moxie is a dream come true, but being able to use that burn chip damage to help get into Swarm for an even more powerful Megahorn is insane. Pokebilities UU for sure imo

Tyrantrum- Buffed elemental fang coverage without having to give up no recoil on Head Smash is amazing for it. Pokebilities UU for sure

Tauros- Sheer Force+Intimidate is amazing, and Anger Point being able to potentially turn a normally bad situation for the user into an extremely advantaged one is amazing. Pokebilities RU

Hitmonlee- Unburden+White Herb+Curse with more powerful High Jump Kicks thanks to Reckless and not being able to be paralyzed is amazing. Pokebilities UU

Perrserker- Steely Spirit+Tough Claws makes Iron Head have over 150 power before STAB while also giving other moves a huge boost and being unable to be crit. Pokebilities RU

Druddigon- Used to rule BW RU, and it'd be really good here as well. Rough Skin+Sheer Force+Mold Breaker could be brilliant. Not having to sacrifice the utility of Sheer Force or Rough Skin to run the other with the added bonus of Mold Breaker is great, then there's its base 120 attack and 90 physdef and spdef. Pokebilities RU or UU

Braviary- Sheer Force+Defiant could be amazing. If you switch in on a Defog or you have Defog and your opponent has a Magic Bounce user, the +2 attack takes Braviary to insane levels of power. Pokebilities RU

Jellicent- Bulky as ever with both Water Absorb and Cursed Body. Still not unbreakable, but really useful. I'd guess pokebilities NU

Currently working on a slideshow to explain some of the threats and why they're good in the metagame. May take until after the meta isn't on the official showdown server anymore, but feel free to dm me if you want to see it.

Corsola- Probably pokebilities NU or pokebilities PU because of Hustle and rather meager stats, but the only pokemon with Regenerator+Natural Cure, so it could be especially frustrating
Hustle doesn't affect your moves if they're Special, so unless you're running Physical moves on Corsola you don't need to worry.

Anyway, where is TS Pokébilities? Time to destroy the OMM room smh

Hustle doesn't affect your moves if they're Special, so unless you're running Physical moves on Corsola you don't need to worry.

Anyway, where is TS Pokébilities? Time to destroy the OMM room smh
I've missed Scald several times while running Corsola, so I'm not sure what the case is if Hustle only applies to physical moves unless my opponents always run Bright Powder or Something

Just realized this, but Reuniclus is much better than in gen 7 pokebilities, not just because of many less pokemon that threaten or check it (like buginium z Yanmega), but mainly because of no Pursuit. Regenerator was already a top 10 ability, but combining it with Magic Guard AND not being able to be hit by Pursuit is kind of wild. Stakeout Gumshoos is also gone, so Thievul, the only remaining pokemon with Stakeout, is the only option for a Stakeout user. Sure, Gumshoos wasn't amazing in gen 7 pokebilities, but it had a solid niche with a 110 base attack, even doing 40-45% to a no defense Aggron with Hyper Fang if the Aggron is switched into. Thievul, however, doesn't have an extremely useful special attack, so it likely won't be doing enough on a switch-in to justify using it, unlike Gumshoos.

The more I play with this meta the more I feel like the meta's mechanic is very underpowered...
1619517926274.png

And the team I use:
Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Obstruct

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike

Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flame Charge
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Araquanid @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Triple Axel

Like honestly the most problem I've had was probably against lando-t. I hope Excadrill can be unbanned at the very least to make this meta not just one ability mon power creep.

The more I play with this meta the more I feel like the meta's mechanic is very underpowered...
View attachment 336032
And the team I use:
Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Obstruct

Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike

Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flame Charge
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Araquanid @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Triple Axel

Like honestly the most problem I've had was probably against lando-t. I hope Excadrill can be unbanned at the very least to make this meta not just one ability mon power creep.
I have to agree to a degree. A lot of the metagame optimization doesn't even require pokemon that receive significant boosts in viability from having all their abilities at once. However, some pokemon get enough to make them viable or make them overbearing. Porygon Z, for example, goes from PUBL to an uber in pokebilities. However, the problem doesn't reside in solely the metagame, but rather how Gamefreak and Nintendo don't take into consideration multiple abilities because baseline games only allow the player to have an ability at once. It really isn't something that there is an easy solution to, so most people just try to have fun or optimize the metagame with solely the pokemon that do get significantly more viable with multiple abilities.

After this month ends, will the current version of pokebilities be moved to the Random Other Metas server? Pokebilities is my favorite meta and want to have the option the current version instead of only being able to play in the gen 7 pokebilities metagame if it can be done.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
After this month ends, will the current version of pokebilities be moved to the Random Other Metas server? Pokebilities is my favorite meta and want to have the option the current version instead of only being able to play in the gen 7 pokebilities metagame if it can be done.
That would be up to urkerab who last I recall was having some blockers when it came to moving newer gen 8 formats over. Hopefully that would be resolved eventually. However, it's also standard now to leave OMs as challengeable non-ladder formats on PS main after they've been OMOTM/LCOTM at least once.

Since this meta activates all of a pokémon's abilities, i came up with an ability theme team and my first one is regenerator.
One of the pros: recovery moves are optional
One of the cons: bad against teams with weezing-k/weezing-g
These are the mons i used in the team i made:
Toxapex, Slowking(original), Tangrowth, Mienshao, Reuniclus and Eldegoss(the same eldegoss from one of the posts in this forum)

Toxapex- ofc. Throw your tspikes, take damage, and switch out next turn. Rumors have been talking about offensive pex(both banded and specs, lifeorb even), and yes, that is what I am talking about here and nothing more, but this is just for revenge killing, just switch out if your below 50% hp.

Slowking- it's there to spread toxic, burn, setup future sight or absorb damage then teleport out. Rocky helmet is there to punish anything that would make contact.

Tangrowth- but why? What could be of a danger of your fellow viney friend? The SUN. How about the grass type move? Solar Blade. Yes, this thing has awakened from its rocky helmet days, with Leaf Guard, any attempts of slapping a status on this thing is useless, and Chlorophyll to outspeed what it cannot outspeed before, once it has done its job or has taken heavy damage, just switch out.

Mienshao- there is only one thing that makes this thing scary, and its none other than Reckless. With immunity to flinch and Intimidate, combined with scarf or lifeorb boosted HJK, this is basically another thing that scares me. Knock Off becomes more buffed that it might kill something instead of shutting it down. Poison Jab and U-turn for Fairies and Psychics/immediate switch out respectively.

Reuniclus- this living bubble creature has been awakened in this tier that is has become a better stalling machine. Being immune to passive damage and another thing, Spore, you need extra firepower to kill it. What's more annoying is that it has teammates, so plan out beforehand.

Eldegoss-(the same eldegoss from a post in this forum) this braindead Amoonguss copycat brings suffering to most physical attackers. I had this one on a support set along with Rapid Spin(yes it does get it idk why). (Note: Tornadus-t was an option but whatever)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)