Metagame Pokébilities

I did a few battles to see how this OM is going on… And I was scared by this public danger

Porygon-z is incredibly overpowering for Pokebilities. Adaptability + Download + Analytic + Z-Conversion and you get the new Xerneas in OU. Nothing, except chansey, is able to handle it. You just need turn of set up which is a bit difficult on the paper but pretty easy in practise, thanks to the def/spd boost of Z-Conversion. You just need to find a slower mon than you to set-up and after that, you sweep. If you play well, in the worst situation, Porygon-Z is sure to kill at least 2 mons. In a normal situation, you are able to deal with the opponent's whole team. If you have no priority or excadrill, P-Z can potentially rape you only at the team preview.

Supporting P-Z is pretty easy as well, only two things are mandatory :
1) A SR user
2) A mon which handles Excadrill or stuff like that.

Some calcs (without taking into account the possible analytic boosts)

STAB thunderbolt (Download SpA)
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 350-412 (49 - 57.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 232-274 (36.1 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 248-292 (88.2 - 103.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (resisted lol)
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 488-576 (113.2 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 314-370 (81.3 - 95.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

STAB Shadow Ball (Download SpA)
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 456-538 (108.5 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (and you have ice beam)
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 306-362 (86.9 - 102.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

STAB Thunderbolt (Download Atk)
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 224-264 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 286-338 (94.3 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 224-264 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

STAB Shadow Ball (Download Atk)
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 382-450 (105.8 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 324-382 (89 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 294-348 (75.1 - 89%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 218-258 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Clefable
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 184-218 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (2HKO on the switch)

I have seen some other cool guys :

So it's the common Azumarill in OU with two more awesome abilities (Sap Sipper and Thick Fat). The meta makes it ridiculously good with the predominant of the Sand team which means not a lot of m-venusaur but a plenty of excadrill. Just great. The BD version is hard to handle as well.

How do I even write a post in the pokebilities topic without talking about Sand teams ? It's very good, all teams are generally adapted to deal with that but it stays really threating to play around. Excadrill is the scariest thing except P-Z I have ever seen. Without a levitate mon with Intimidate, this guy can easily rape you.

252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 199-235 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Intimidate + Moxie are very scaring as well. I dont like much these mons but I have to recognize that they do perfectly their job. They set-up both easily due to intimidate and can easily sweep you just after. Watch out, never let them set-up two Dragon Dance.

Rain teams are suprising good too despite of the weather war against the Sand teams. Drizzle combinated with Rain Dish allows to Pelipper run damp rock without suffering from the lack of leftovers. Ludicolo gets too the combination of swift swim and rain dish. I think Kingdra stays certainly the most interesting mon of the three thanks to swift swim with sniper which allows it to OHKO many mons by spamming DM or Hydropump. The only issue is that kingdra (and generally speaking the rain team) does really nothing to Azumarill.

The Steel trappers are very nice. The combinaison of Galvanize/Analytic + Magnet Pull + Sturdy is very effective against stuff like Celesteela or just against the commun mons. Very fun to play around, I have no regrets to have used them.

The best Azumarill's counters. Quagsire is perfect for Sand Team to deal with Water type (thanks to Water Absorb) and against Intimidate&Moxie users (thanks to Unaware). Clefable fits too and gets the advantage to go on whatever archetype of team, it's very scaring. I tested both of them and they are very effective against the majority of threats.

I dont have the time to talk about that but Tapus and UB stay very good in this meta even if they received nothing new. Dont forget to monitor them.

Temporary banner for Pokébilities! (Made using Textcraft)

If you can make a better banner, please lmk :)

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Facade
- Protect

ursaring is a menace. it's reasonably fast (effective 107 speed fully invested with quick feet activated if my calculations are correct), incredibly powerful (effective 220 attack fully invested with guts activated if my calculations are correct), and has some nice coverage. It's not needed to ban it by any means, but it's a really solid addition to offensive teams.

Actually, while i'm too bad to draw it, how about Azumarill and Ursaring charging against Excadrill and Hippowdon? I think that's a pretty acute summary of the metagame.

With both stats fully invested at level 100, Jolly G+QF-boosted Ursaring should have 538 Attack and 343 Speed, I believe. With Adamant I believe the numbers would be 591 Attack and 313 Speed.

Either way, it hits really hard when it gets to use Facade. I'd suggest slashing Swords Dance as an option in the fourth slot.

Pory-Z is amazingly strong yea, but Sand is still the primary threat. Sand even has answers to majority of mons that threatens sand. conk(Flame orb or not, toxapex single handedly forces it out), Azu(Quagsire, toxapex and heilolisk check/counter it nicely), gyarados (again, quag and heilolisk), salamence(Quag, or just get revenge killed by either exca or stoutland) Cincinno + Ambipom are checked by stoutland or excadrill(or maybe you use both?). Pheromosa(Toxapex) etc etc. Sand is just a bit too good, if you ask me. As Tyranitar serves as a p good counter/Check to pory-Z

+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Tyranitar: 264-312 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Av+Sandstream vs STAB Tbolt btw

This is assuming you switched poryz in on toxapex or something and he gets the +1 from download and then use conversation or whatever it's called. I'll rather have stab on tbolt than anything else if running this set. Otherwise, tar completely wall you (Unless HP fighting, i suppose?).

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Tyranitar: 148-175 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Modest specs (Even thou people run timid) is also checked nicely by tar, even with download in poryz's advantage.

Point is, Sand is extremely deadly and most likely will need preparation for every other teambuild.

Edit: +2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 178-210 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO

guaranteed 2hko with SR

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 88-104 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- 1.5% chance to 4HKO

still 4hko with SR

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 112 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 99-117 (24.5 - 29%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

Real calculation as I forgot to add BOTH stealth rocks and Av in BOTH calculation lmao. Poryz's only (good) option is to just trick away Av. Or ya know, run HP fighting lol

Last edited:
L.O.Z. Ocarina (Cacturne) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil/Water absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Thunder Punch

Here's another sand abuser, if you choose not to use heilolisk. Heilolisk's advantage over cacturne is obviously being much faster, and having momentum in volt switch/U-turn. But cacturne's advantage is that it helps beat opposing sand teams. After SDs, excadrill is completely annihilated by sucker punch, stoutland only has 43.8% chance of living (yes, even after intimidate)with SR up, it also forces out all three sand setters, and even checks gyarados too! Thunder punch is literally just so you're not walled by Azumarill.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 452-534 (117.4 - 138.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 246-290 (79 - 93.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Haven't played the metagame, but I have some theorymonned sets to post:

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist / Scrappy / Mold Breaker
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch / Hammer Arm / Sky Uppercut
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Swords Dance / Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

3 amazing abilities for a Dark/Fighting type plus Iron Fist Bullet Punch this gen to boot! Strong wallbreaker with great coverage and a way to threaten fast-paced offensive teams. Can also run Choice Band with Parting Shot over the 3rd slot.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z / Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly / Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Fire Blast

Salamence finally gets the opportunity to have an ability that allows it to set up on a bunch of stuff and scarily maintain a sweep at the same time. Z-Fly is great to have for Clefable for this metagame in particular.

252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 309-364 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 258-304 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire / Flame Body / Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 56 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute / Taunt
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Calm Mind / Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Chandelure was already kind of anti-meta in OU since, like Marowak, it checks Genesect, Phermosa, Mega Charizard Y and others pretty well. It can do its job better now by being able to deter U-turn with Flame Body burn threats, ignore Sub and have a Fire immunity all at the same time.

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat / Sap Sipper / Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Milk Drink
- Seismic Toss / Earthquake / Power-up Punch

All-purpose Zard check, Serperior check, Leech Seed/powder immunity, Stealth Rock setter and all around good wall.

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haven't played meta/read through each idea mentioned in this thread, but here are a few ideas I'm excited for:
Kommo-o
Ability: Bulletproof/Soundproof/Overcoat

Now this thing is immune to like everything. So many switch in options.
Lanturn
Ability: Water Absorb/Illuminate/Volt Absorb

Two type immunities (ignore Illuminate)
Lucario
Ability: Steadfast/Inner Focus/Justified

Gets a boost and immunity to flinch, plus a boost from dark.
Machamp
Ability: Guts/No Guard/Steadfast

Again, speed boost with flinch, but with the added damage of flame orb guts and a 100% confusion base 100 stab move. I see sweeping potential if it gets the +1*
Ninetales-Alola
Ability: Snow Warning/Snow Veil

Self explanatory
Cincinno/Ambipom
Ability: Skill Link/Technician/Whatever

Oh bby
Bronzong
Ability: Levitate/Heatproof/Heavy Metal

If only this was gen 4/5. No weaknesses.
Excadrill
Ability: Sand Rush/Sand Force/Mold Breaker

This will mow through anything in a sandstorm
Maractus
Ability: Chlorophyll/Water Absorb/Storm Drain

Getting healed and a Spa boost when hit by water seems very nice
Ursaring
Ability: Guts/Quick Feet/Unnerve

Boost in attack and speed

What I'm Not excited for:
Zangoose
Ability: Immunity/Toxic Boost

:(

*Late Game

Maractus
Ability: Chlorophyll/Water Absorb/Storm Drain
Getting healed and a Spa boost when hit by water seems very nice
This is wrong, the mechanics for two same type Immunity causing abilities are a little different. This happens:
Apparently, one of the immunity causing abilities activates, and the other doesn't. The ability that will activate is random.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-pokebilities-9906

You people are obviously sleeping on the true menace of the tier here

Dun Dun Dun!!!!

It gets unaware and simple, amnesia and curse.

Need I say more? Bow to your new PokeLord puny mortals

Wait wait wait what about Entrainment? Does it pass on all of the abilities? If so, Sand Veil teams would love to have Durant for Truant and less accuracy. Also same question for Role Play, Skill Swap, ect.

Hey Bruxish looks pretty good in this. I have yet to build a set for it but Dazzling/Wonder Skin can make for it to be pretty annoying to wither down if your heading towards stall and even some offense, not to mention the Strong Jaw powers up some of its moves.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Intimidate + Moxie are very scaring as well. I dont like much these mons but I have to recognize that they do perfectly their job. They set-up both easily due to intimidate and can easily sweep you just after. Watch out, never let them set-up two Dragon Dance.
Why not mentioning Krookodile as well? Sure, it hasn't got DDance, but Bulk Up is still a set-up option I guess, and has the niche of Anger Point (Since some mons now are forced to have Super Luck anyways). I'm just theorymoning here but doesn't sound that bad.

Why not mentioning Krookodile as well? Sure, it hasn't got DDance, but Bulk Up is still a set-up option I guess, and has the niche of Anger Point (Since some mons now are forced to have Super Luck anyways). I'm just theorymoning here but doesn't sound that bad.
Also, Krookodile gets Power Trip: the more its Attack rises, the more threatening it becomes. If it gets an Anger Point boost, it's going to become really powerful really quickly. Perhaps a set with Choice Band or Darkium Z could have a niche?

I think Trick Room will be an excellent playstyle in this metagame, since there's a lot of slow threats that get access to multiple great abilities, as well as powerful sweepers. Porygon2 and Reuniclus are two Trick Room setters with a variety of excellent abilities. It can be abused by things like Gumshoos, Azumarill, Conkeldurr, Magnezone, etc.

On the topic of Lucario, how does the Inner Focus + Steadfast combo work? IF prevents flinching, SF gives +1 Speed when flinched. Would IF prevent SF from activating?

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
If only they'd give Cinccino another Fighting move to make up for it having lost Technician Wake-Up Slap in Gen 6.
Cinccino used U-Turn!
Go, Golem-Alola!
Said Golem-Alola should have a Balloon. R.I.P. Excadrill 2017-2017.
If the thing has Fire Punch...

Last edited:
Can Alolan Golem one-shot Excadrill without a boosting item and having lost STAB on EQ?

252+ Atk Golem-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 340-402 (94.1 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

As it turns out, it can. Still have to switch in on boost or EQ. Anything else (even Rapid Spin) and you just get obliterated. I feel like there are better answers when trying to contain Excadrill.

Last edited:

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Can Alolan Golem one-shot Excadrill without a boosting item and having lost STAB on EQ?

Swords Dance 0 - 0%
252+ Atk Golem-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 340-402 (94.1 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

As it turns out, it can. Still have to switch in on boost or EQ. Anything else (even Rapid Spin) and you just get obliterated. I feel like there are better answers when trying to contain Excadrill.
Magnet Pull tho. Also, in my scenario, the thing is brought in by u-turning on excadrill's switch-in. I made a little bit of a research and foud that this mon also gets fire punch to slam ferro with, and the obvious Galvanize Return. Pretty good, if you ask me, great coverage vs basically any steel type. Also, this will make the enemy play much more conservative with exca/steel types in general, which is quite beneficial to the cinccino in the example. TBF, however, I dont know if cinccino is viable anyways, but it has some of the right traits to act as a fast and strong wallbreaker, apart from its lack of anti-steel coverage. Also alolan golem still gets stab iirc.

Last edited:
Magnet Pull tho. Also, in my scenario, the thing is brought in by u-turning on excadrill's switch-in. I made a little bit of a research and foud that this mon also gets fire punch to slam ferro with, and the obvious Galvanize Return. Pretty good, if you ask me, great coverage vs basically any steel type. Also, this will make the enemy play much more conservative with exca/steel types in general, which is quite beneficial to the cinccino in the example. TBF, however, I dont know if cinccino is viable anyways, but it has some of the right traits to act as a fast and strong wallbreaker, apart from its lack of anti-steel coverage. Also alolan golem still gets stab iirc.
No stab on eq b/c it isnt ground type anymore tho

greninja-ash is better than greninja in this meta?
Due to the way the game handles Greninja having an extra ability, the one with Battle Bond is actually a different forme with Battle Bind for all it's abilities, while the normal one still only has Torrent and Protean. As such, a Battle Bond Greninja won't have any innate abilities in Pokebilities, and a Protean Greninja won't have Battle Bond, as is explained in the OP. This means that Protean Greninja is most likely still better than Battle Bond.

Edit @ below: Huh. Guess I was wrong. Although, considering how good Clefable is in this meta, Gunk Shot might just be worth it.

P.S. omotm hype!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)