Pokémon BW2 In-game Tier List Mark II [See Post #840]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am going to reserve Snivy, Koffing, & Shelmet (No Trade). I should have them up soon...

EDIT:

Name: Snivy
Availability: Starter
Stats: Snivy is very fast with Base 113 Speed at the end, and has quite good bulk as well. Its offenses are average, though they can be worked around.
Typing: Grass is not that great, as it is resisted by many common types found in the game. It also comes with five weaknesses which hurts, but resistances to Water-, Ground-, and Electric-Types are quite helpful.
Movepool: Below Average. Coil, Leaf Blade, and Giga Drain are your best Level-Up moves, while the TM pool is rather shallow and not really worth looking into, apart from Return. Its Tutor Movepool is not any better.
Major Battles: Snivy does very well against Clay, Marlon and Caitilin (with Coil), but does terribly against Roxie, Burgh, and Skyla. Everywhere else it is rather average, but it is not dead weight.
Additional Comments: Miracle Seed is recommended as the best item to use, as it boosts its STAB Grass Moves further, and given Snivy's average attacking stats, it needs any boost it can get.

Name: Koffing
Availability: Early (Virbank Complex, 15%)
Stats: Koffing's major traits lie in its exceptional Defense stat, which allows it to tank hits a lot on the Physical side. It has okay mixed attacking stats, an average HP and Sp. Defense stat, but its Speed is mediocre.
Typing: Poison in an okay typing, with three resistances and a sole weakness to Psychic (Levitate takes out its Ground weakness). Offensively it is average, only hitting Grass-Types Super Effectively, but Steel-Types are immune to it, and it is resisted by a few other types.
Movepool: Average. Its level-up movepool is mainly Physical Normal and Special Poison moves, but it has great TM coverage from Ghost, Electric and Fire moves, allowing it to hit Steels and other types Super Effectively lategame.
Major Battles: Koffing has no super bad matchups besides Caitilin and Skyla. Otherwise, it can handle Burgh very well and tank a lot of physical attackers, but in general, it is only average against most matchups.
Additional Comments: Clear Smog can be used to help you in a pinch against several setup attackers in the game, particularly against several Clefairy and Iris' Haxorus.

Name: Shelmet (No Trade)
Availability: Midgame (Route 6 and Route 11, 25%)
Stats: Its bulk is okay with 60 HP/85 Defense/65 Sp. Defense, but its attacking stats are rubbish, and its Speed is terrible.
Typing: Bug-Typing gives it some use with Super Effective coverage against Grass-, Psychic-, and Dark-Types, but it is resisted by a lot of common types. Defensively, it gets resistances to Grass-, Fighting-, and Ground-Types, which help, but weaknesses to three common types hurt it.
Movepool: Shallow. Giga Drain, and Bug Buzz, stand out in its Level-Up movepool, but the rest of the movepool is bad. Steel-Types completely wall Shelmet.
Major Battles: Most of the time, Shelmet will be dead weight due to its rubbish attacking stats. Its best bet of doing something is against Clay, Caitilin, and Grimsley.
Additional Comments: Shelmet should always hold an Eviolite in order to survive more attacks and attempt to make a contribution. Shell Armor is preferred over Hydration due to consistency. Otherwise, the fact that it is terrible offensively means that it is more often than not going to be very disappointing to use.

Last edited:
welp i reserved snivy
oh well, i haven't been online for quite a while so yeah, you can have it IAR :X

Name: Volcarona
Availability: Midgame, fixed encounter at Relic Castle, accessible after defeating Clay
Stats: Excellent 135 SpA, with a good 100 Speed and somewhat mediocre physical bulk. 60 Attack makes it a mediocre physical attacker.
Typing: Has annoying weaknesses that can be taken advantage of easily, such as Rock and Water. A x4 resistance to Grass isn't very useful, but a Fighting resist works.
Movepool: Signal Beam can be tutored immediately to fix its horrible movepool, and it gets Fire Blast and Giga Drain for coverage. Fly works as utility.
Major battles: Does absolutely nothing against Skyla and Marlon, and doesn't have the physical bulk to take hits well for Drayden. Shines pretty nicely against Zinzolin and Colress though, but is mediocre against the Elite 4 in general.
AC: While initially seeming strong and overlevelled, Volcarona is put down by his bad movepool, forcing it to rely heavily on the inaccurate Fire Blast.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
sorry these have taken so long, hope they're up to standard!

Name: Eevee - Vaporeon
Availability: Eevee is found in the Castelia Garden at 5%. Water stones can be bought for 3BP from the Battle Subway and PWT, or very rarely found in dust clouds
Stats: Vaporeon is quite bulky with nice HP and Special Defense, it can also utilize its high Special Atack. It is however quite slow and its physical attack also low
Typing: Pure Water comes with only 2 weaknesses in Grass and Electric, which are not super common in the game
Movepool: Very shallow. Vaporeon needs Aurora Beam for coverage so it is worth relearning if missed. Surf is obtainable from Cheren on route 6. Work up is a good boosting move. You also have access to several HM's
Major Battles: Vaporeon can be used against Clay and it's Ice coverage against Drayden. Marlon walls it. Can be used against Iris's multiple Dragon and Rock types as well
Additional Comments: It is recommended to complete 1 streak in the Battle Subway (Multi-Train with NPC partner is easiest) to quickly gain the BP for a water stone, otherwise you need to backtrack to route 19 and surf to get one

Name: Zorua (Gift)
Availability: Driftveil City, as a gift from the Old Team Plasma Sage
Stats: As a Zoroark it is fast and can hit hard with both its attacking stats. It is quite frail though so don’t expect it to take a hit
Typing: Pure Dark. Comes with 2 resists (Ghost & Dark) and an immunity (Psychic), be careful of Fighting and Bug types though. Offensively its STAB can be used well against Ghost and Psychic types, but not against Fighting, Dark and Steel.
Movepool: Zoroark has many options, but they all come very late in the game, so it will be stuck with Dark moves most of the time. It’s worth relearning U-turn instead of buying the TM. Night Slash and Snarl will probably be your main attacking options. It's Hidden Power type is always Fighting, which is helpful if you have access to it
Major Battles: Zoroark does not excell in any gyms on its own, however it can sweep 2 of the Elite 4 (Shauntal and Caitlin) with its STAB alone
Additional Comments: Because Zorua used to belong to N, it gains boosted experience, so it is quite easy to train. Couple this with the lucky egg you receive in the Celestial Tower and it will be growing levels fast!

yeah I'll go ahead and reserve Elekid (including trade)

EDIT: went ahead and made some changes, thanks for the advice @Its_A_Random and you other guys. In hindsight I just looked at what moves my Zoroark finished with for refference as I was a bit rushed

EDIT 2: very much hoping these have been shortened enough :)

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
@cant say: I recommend trying to concise the entries a little bit, for example, only mention what moves are useful in the moves section. Look at my Karrablast entry below for example.

Name: Karrablast (No Trade)
Availability: Midgame (Route 6 and Route 11, 5%)
Stats: Mediocre all around. 50/45/45 bulk means it is not going to take hits, base 60 Speed is below average, and its base 75 Attack is only average at best. Its Special Attack is forgettable.
Typing: Bug-Typing gives it some use with Super Effective coverage against Grass-, Psychic-, and Dark-Types, but it is resisted by a lot of common types. Defensively, it gets resistances to Grass-, Fighting-, and Ground-Types, which help, but weaknesses to three common types hurt it.
Movepool: Very Shallow. Its level-up movepool is littered with Normal-Type and Bug-Type moves with only X-Scissor, Swords Dance, and Double-Edge being really worth it. The rest of its movepool, however, is subpar.
Major Battles: Most of the time, Karrablast will faint before it gets to do something, so generally it is better off as death fodder if you need it. Its best bet of doing something is against Caitilin as long as she has Musharna out.
Additional Comments: If you want Karrablast to deal some damage, then you could run Eviolite + Swarm to help it survive something and deal some powerful STAB damage in return. Otherwise, use Shed Skin instead. Generally, unless you grind like mad, Karrablast is not going to help you that much ingame.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I am really not a fan of the N Zorua being so high tiered. It's move pool is utter ass until it is very high leveled. And lots of those TM's come very late such as Flamethrower. 18BP is WAY too much for the Swords Dance TM at this point in the game (good luck grinding those tournaments for BP).

I trained a bog standard Zorua which I bred with Dark pulse and its movepool was still really terrible until they very end of the game. Illusion is semi cool (more confusing than not) and movepool alone should drop it down a tier. It is pretty much as bad as Liepard's unless you grind like hell/wait right till the end of the game. Yeah it has options unlike Liepard, but still. It didnt scream to me about being that high tiered (though it did destroy Caitlin and some of Iris' team).

Zorua movepool really needs a rework, CM and GK are post-E4 for instance and Flamethrower comes really really late. Snarl is terrible outside of utility, but it's stronger than Shadow Ball anyway. Only move up there that really applies is U-turn, since Zoroark can actually get it from the relearner. IMO there should also be some emphasis on that Zorua grows ridiculously quickly due to trades + boosted EXP, so it gets levels quicker than the rest of your team...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Reserving Yamask and Drifblim
Drifblim has been done already :P Some of SuperJOCKE's post is out of date now from people grinding out some of the lower mons. Have a quick look back through the last 2 pages, I'm sure there maybe some others which have not yet been written.

I wish I had gotten my hands on Riolu and Volcarona but I missed them. Oh well, I still call Solosis and Eevee - Espeon.
Name: Solosis
Availability: You can only find Solosis in White 2. You need a trade if you want to get it in Black 2.
Stats: As a Solosis, it has stupidly high 105 Sp. Atk, a 45 HP, a 40/50 Def spread, and 20 Spd. As a Reuniclus it's Sp. Atk is still high at 125, high 110 HP, average 75/85 Def spread, and stupidly low 30 Spd.
Typing: The Solosis line is a pure Psychic-type. Psychic-type is ok offensively being able to hit Fighting and Poison-type Super effectively. Defensively, it's subpar, being able to resist Fighting-type but being taken out by Ghost, Dark, and Bug-type which all have significant trainers in-game.
Movepool: As a Solosis, it'll start off with Hidden Power as your go to move. For the level up line you'll mainly want to aim for Recover and Heal Block for utility and Psyshock and eventually Psychic for Offense. For TMs, you'll mainly want to look for Light Screen and Reflect, Shadow Ball, and Trick Room. Other options you might want to get are Energy Ball, Hyper Beam, Thunder, and Thunder Wave. For Move Tutor, you'd really only ever want Signal Beam.
Major Battles: You really aren't going to find very many opportunities to use the Solosis line other than Marshall. It's Spd stat is to low for you to use it in most big battles.
Additional Comments: You should always always ALWAYS go for Magic Guard. it does everything overcast does and more.

and Espeon

Name: Espeon
Availability: You can only find Eevee at Castelia Garden.
Stats: As an Espeon it's Sp. Atk will be stupidly high at 130. It's Spd is also a very high 110 Spd stat. It's HP is a below average 65. It's Def spread is a low and average 60/95 respectively.
Typing: Psychic Typing is ok Offensively, hitting Fighting and Poison-type super effectively and hitting Steel-type very poorly and not affecting Dark-types. Defensively, it can take a hit from fighting types but cant go against Ghost, Dark, and Bug-types which all have a significant trainer in the story.
Movepool: When Espeon first evolves, you really wont be relying on anything from the Eevee level movepool. You should also try to evolve it before level 21 so you can get Psybeam. For the rest of Espeon's movepool, you should aim for Morning Sun and Psychic. For TMs, you mainly want to find Shadow Ball and Reflect. Other options for TMs are Hyper Beam, Light Screen, and Work. For Move Tutors, you should only ever want Signal Beam.
Major Battles: For major battles the best situation you can use Espeon in is only Marshall in the elite 4. However, with it's high Sp. Atk and Spd, you'd be able to use Espeon in a lot of major battles where you don't have a best option.
Additional Comments: Sense Eevee evolves into Espeon through happiness, you can get Espeon really early in the game. Just walk around a lot and try to increase it's happiness. If you have the patience to do this, you'll have an extremely powerful pokemon very early in the game.

Last edited:
Name: Deerling
Availability: Route 6, in 2 ways: either as a gift at a high L30 from the Weather Institute on the same route, which comes with its Hidden Ability of Serene Grace, or a normal encounter at L25 with its usual abilities.
Stats: 100 Attack and 95 Speed makes Sawsbuck a good physical attacker.
Typing: Normal/Grass grants STAB on key moves such as Return and Horn Leech, but struggles against fighting and flying-types.
Movepool: Return and Horn Leech are Sawsbuck's main attacks, and Sawsbuck also gets Jump Kick and Megahorn for added coverage.
Major Battles: Clay and Marlon are pretty simple battles, while Skyla is a big no-no. In the E4, it performs decently against Grimsley and Caitlin due to Jump Kick and Megahorn, but keep it away from Shauntal and Marshal.
AC: There are very little places for you to abuse Sap Sipper, so it's recommended to just grab the L30 one. The initial issue of no Grass moves can be fixed by tutoring Seed Bomb, which can tide until Horn Leech.

Last edited:

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo, guys. You need to cut down on some of these paragraphs. They are way too long and has a lot of fluff in them. I want short and concise sentences. DHR's and IAR's entries are perfect examples of this.

I'll update my posts later tonight or tomorrow, just wanted to point this out beforehand.

I am going to reserve Snivy, Koffing, & Shelmet (No Trade). I should have them up soon...

EDIT:

Name: Snivy
Availability: Starter
Stats: Snivy is very fast with Base 113 Speed at the end, and has quite good bulk as well. Its offenses are average, though they can be worked around.
Typing: Grass is not that great, as it is resisted by many common types found in the game. It also comes with five weaknesses which hurts, but resistances to Water-, Ground-, and Electric-Types are quite helpful.
Movepool: Below Average. Coil, Leaf Blade, and Giga Drain are your best Level-Up moves, while the TM pool is rather shallow and not really worth looking into, apart from Return. Its Tutor Movepool is not any better.
Major Battles: Snivy does very well against Clay, Marlon and Caitilin (with Coil), but does terribly against Roxie, Burgh, and Skyla. Everywhere else it is rather average, but it is not dead weight.
Additional Comments: Miracle Seed is recommended as the best item to use, as it boosts its STAB Grass Moves further, and given Snivy's average attacking stats, it needs any boost it can get.
Snivy actually has a decent tutor movepool with Aqua Tail, Iron Tail, Outrage (as a Serperior), and Dragon Pulse (also as a Serperior).

Aqua Tail helps it with fire-types, Iron Tail can handle Ice-types (yes, I know it has a bad 75% accuracy, but a Wide Lens could increase it to 82.5%, which is useable given its 100BP, and increase Aqua Tail (and Glare, should you choose to give it Glare via Egg move)'s accuracy to 99%), and Outrage or Dragon Pulse can make quick work of Iris's Dragon types and Ghetsis's Hydreigon.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Snivy actually has a decent tutor movepool with Aqua Tail, Iron Tail, Outrage (as a Serperior), and Dragon Pulse (also as a Serperior).

Aqua Tail helps it with fire-types, Iron Tail can handle Ice-types (yes, I know it has a bad 75% accuracy, but a Wide Lens could increase it to 82.5%, which is useable given its 100BP, and increase Aqua Tail (and Glare, should you choose to give it Glare via Egg move)'s accuracy to 99%), and Outrage or Dragon Pulse can make quick work of Iris's Dragon types and Ghetsis's Hydreigon.
The problem is A) You can't breed until after the Elite 4, B) Iron Tail costs 6 blue shards, Aqua Tail 8 and Dragon Pulse 10 (which is a lot) and C) Outrage you can't get until Nacrene which is also after the E4. Granted, Coil + Iron Tail might be cool, but there just aren't enough ice types to make it worth it. Especially considering you'll likely have a strong Fighting/Rock/Fire type. Snivy is pretty mediocre, especially having only vine Whip near the start :(

The problem is A) You can't breed until after the Elite 4, B) Iron Tail costs 6 blue shards, Aqua Tail 8 and Dragon Pulse 10 (which is a lot) and C) Outrage you can't get until Nacrene which is also after the E4. Granted, Coil + Iron Tail might be cool, but there just aren't enough ice types to make it worth it. Especially considering you'll likely have a strong Fighting/Rock/Fire type. Snivy is pretty mediocre, especially having only vine Whip near the start :(
And Coil/Leaf Blade/Return/Leech Seed or Giga Drain is the only viable in-game moveset it can use. It takes advantage of its good bulk, speed and decent neutral coverage those two moves have

But not much more than that

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware of not getting Outrage or breeding until after the E4, I was just referring to some possibilities.

Also, I do l do now that all those shards are a lot, but I've done it before, and it wasn't boring. Although I wouldn't suggest all three moves because 24 shards is a huge amount, I was just stating options, and you shouldn't lower a pokemon in rank because another pokemon outshines it in its area.

Although, on average, you would have obtained 106 shards by the time you got the 24 Blue Shards needed (the 10 red shards as a gift, +24 Blue Shards, +24 shards of each other type because it is equally likely to obtain each shard regardless which method you choose in BW2).

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
@Mulan15262: Basically what the others said, but generally only the Driftveil Tutors are considered out of the four tutors, because you get 10 Red Shards for free from Nimbasa. Trying to accumulate shards for the others is generally time consuming & inefficient, & hence, not worth it in a BW2 run.

@Mulan15262: Basically what the others said, but generally only the Driftveil Tutors are considered out of the four tutors, because you get 10 Red Shards for free from Nimbasa. Trying to accumulate shards for the others is generally time consuming & inefficient, & hence, not worth it in a BW2 run.
Ok. I understand, as it did take a while for me to get those shards, and I have higher than normal patience than most people (having caught three Feebas without raging, I think you understand what I mean).

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands

Name: Vullaby
Availability: Very Late (Route 23, 5% Chance Black 2 Only)
Stats: Solid defensively, they become pretty exceptional when Vullaby Evolves. 110/105/95 is good bulk, but it lack offensive prowess.
Typing: Dark/Flying. Not bad for the Elite 4, boasting resists to everyone bar Marshall.
Movepool: Nasty Plot is worth using a Heart Scale for, and in addition to Air Slash and Dark Pulse makes for good dual STAB. Tailwind can help out your team, or you can always teach it Fly.
Major Battles: Elite 4 and a Rival Battle is all you have left. Typing alone gives you a great chance against Shauntal and Caitlin, whilst it resists Grimsley but probably lose to Marshall. Mandibuzz's defenses will also help it out against Iris.
Additional Comments: It's not bad, but it comes so extremely late and probably a few levels below your team. It comes with Air Slash and Dark Pulse at that level, and is is only a few from Evolution. Eviolite may work well if you plan on going onward without evolving it.

I'll have a lick at Vanilish to :)

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands

Name: Vanillish
Availability: Late (Giant Chasm, 10% Chance)
Stats: Average. Reasonable Attack and Special Attack, and ok defenses. Nothing to really write home about.
Typing: Ice. Surprisingly neutral to most stuff left on defence. Be careful for the odd Steel/Fire/Rock move.
Movepool: Terrible. Ice Beam/Mirror Shot is all it has via level up, adding in Signal Beam from tutors... There is no real fourth move. It may be worth Heart Scaling Taunt or Icy Wind to help out team mates.
Major Battles: Can be useful against Ghetsis' Hydreigon, and it works OK in the Elite 4 (Apart from against Marshall). It'll also help out against Iris' dragons with STAB Ice Beam.
Additional Comments: Comes very close to evolving into Vanilluxe. The power increase from the evolution is pretty big and is definitely worth doing. Also, it's an Ice Cream.

I'm going to concentrate on the rest of the low tier mons to try and clear one of the tiers.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so the OP has been updated to include every new entry, and the reservations post is up to date as well. I know I'm a little late, but IRL called for my assistance.

Keep up the good work guys, you're doing great so far.
I'll try and edit my posts to make them smaller. I noticed my Sandile post really needs work. Talk about a wall of text. -_-
I'm sorry to say this, but I need you to rework your entries a bit more. They still far to long and still have some unnecessary fluff. So before I add your entries to the OP, please shorten it and remove all unnecessary statements.

Ok, so the OP has been updated to include every new entry, and the reservations post is up to date as well. I know I'm a little late, but IRL called for my assistance.

Keep up the good work guys, you're doing great so far.

I'm sorry to say this, but I need you to rework your entries a bit more. They still far to long and still have some unnecessary fluff. So before I add your entries to the OP, please shorten it and remove all unnecessary statements.
Just got done with editing them. Hopefully that should be short enough.

Here's Mareep. I'll have the other two later

Name: Mareep
Availability: Very Early, found at Flocessy Ranch
Stats: It may be fairly slow, but it has a powerful 115 base Special Attack as Ampharos, and respectable 90/75/90 defenses to back it up.
Typing: Electric is a decent typing, with only one weakness, and a handful of resistances. Electric is also pretty good offensively, with few things resisting it.
Movepool: It learns almost everything it needs by level-up. A powerful STAB move in Discharge, a decent coverage move in Signal Beam, and the amazing Cotton Guard, which boosts it's already respectable Defense by 3 stages. The Thunderbolt TM comes very late, but Discharge is good enough until you get Thunderbolt. You could also teach it Brick Break or Focus Blast for additional coverage.
Major Battles: It's not very useful against Burgh, Elesa, Clay, or Drayden. On the other hand, it destroys Skyla and Marlon, and while it doesn't excel in any other major battles, it's never dead weight
Additional Comments: It evolves rather early, meaning in the early stages of the game, it will excel compared to the rest of your team. While other things may get better throughout the game, Ampharos never really lonses it's usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)