Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I don't know how to explain this one:

A great portion of psychic Pokemon learn Dazzling Gleam, but somehow, some psychic types don't.
What? They aren't dazzling enough? (or magical in Japanese)

There's a lot of Grass-types that learn Dazzling Gleam, too (which I guess works on the same principles as Solarbeam), but also a bunch of them that get inexplicably shafted (including Lilligant, because of course Lilligant can't get any coverage moves worth a damn!).

There's a lot of Grass-types that learn Dazzling Gleam, too (which I guess works on the same principles as Solarbeam), but also a bunch of them that get inexplicably shafted (including Lilligant, because of course Lilligant can't get any coverage moves worth a damn!).
Well, Lilligant does get Own Tempo Petal Dance, the only combination of Thrash clone and natural immunity to confusion. But of course it had to be a Grass-type, which has so many problems as an attacking type.

I don't know how to explain this one:

A great portion of psychic Pokemon learn Dazzling Gleam, but somehow, some psychic types don't.
What? They aren't dazzling enough? (or magical in Japanese)
Well Dazzling Gleam is portrayed as a flash of light released from the user's body, which sort of explains Lanturn and Tentacruel and Starmie. I guess the rest really don't have the magic happening in them.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Well Dazzling Gleam is portrayed as a flash of light released from the user's body, which sort of explains Lanturn and Tentacruel and Starmie. I guess the rest really don't have the magic happening in them.
But some of the non dazzling psychics can learn flash

I find it ironic that Kecleon, the shopkeeper mons in Mystery Dungeon who will mass divebomb you if you steal from them, are one of only five mons that have ever been capable of learning Thief without the TM. As a starting move (or by Heart Scale).
Nintendo shopkeepers, man. Like the psycho in Link's Awakening with the OHKO spell

Nintendo shopkeepers, man. Like the psycho in Link's Awakening with the OHKO spell
"I wasn't kidding when I said you'll pay! Now you'll pay the ultimate price!"

Anyway, the other natural thieves are Klefki (bred with another key ring or five other mons), Mightyena (level 57 or Heart Scale), and, in Generation III only at level 37...Lombre. It's said to me a mischievous mon in one of its Dex entries, but stealing? That ain't mischief, buddy. And since the entry justifying this made its first appearance in Gen IV, I have to wonder.

Cresselia~~

Well, this is the wrong kind of Psychic-type, but the message still stands...

Yes, I know. Gardevoir is always the victim of sexualization. I'm a horrible person.
Oh, and I posted something after my self-imposed exile! Yay!
I wasn't talking about Gardevoir, Gardevoir can learn dazzling gleam.
I mean, Jynx can learn flash but not dazzling gleam, and I don't know why.
Execcutor can't learn dazzling gleam neither.

Ursaring gets Sweet Scent. I know bears use their scent (and some other things) to mark their territory but why would it let off this to attract other pokémon?

Maybe it has something to do with using honey to attract other Pokémon? You know, the whole thing with bears and honey. And Teddiursa has Honey Gather if I recall.
Yeah but it's based on a bear, a territorial animal,

"In its territory, it leaves scratches on trees that bear delicious berries or fruits." This is the DPPt, BW& B2W2 PokéDex entry. This hints that it does mark its territory, I'm trying to say that why would it want other pokémon in its own territory?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Yeah but it's based on a bear, a territorial animal,

"In its territory, it leaves scratches on trees that bear delicious berries or fruits." This is the DPPt, BW& B2W2 PokéDex entry. This hints that it does mark its territory, I'm trying to say that why would it want other pokémon in its own territory?
Nah, it's definitely to do with honey. Did you never watch Winnie the Pooh? Plus, bears are supposed to be sweet -- all of those stuffed bears you give to kids and such. There are many things associated to bears, so it's probably not possible to accurately represent all of them without a couple contradictions here and there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)