SM RU Pokémon Power - Scyther Offense - Peaked #1

Pokémon Power

Introduction

HI, I'm King Wynaut and I've been playing RU since the start of Sun and Moon. I build a lot in the tier, and I decided I wanted to show off one of my cooler builds in an RMT, which I peaked #1 with. A lot of people complain about the state of RU right now, but personally I find it to be fairly enjoyable and balanced and with a healthy degree of room for innovation. In this build I wanted I wanted to build an offense/balance around defog Scyther, which I thought was an interesting solution to the lack of hazard control options plaguing the tier. So without further ado, let's get on to the team.​

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Scyther was the Pokemon around which the team was structured. Scyther served as a defogger, matching up well against spikers like Chesnaught, and a pivot for a majority of physical attackers. 72 EV's in speed guarantee outspeed jolly Decidueye and other base 70's and below. The rest is poured into physical defense with impressive results (see calcs below). Aerial Ace is the choice of secondary stab, because while lacking offensive synergy, it deals the most impressive damage to Pokemon such as Decidueye or the numerous fighting types in the tier Scyther would check anyway.

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Scyther: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Scyther: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Scyther: 133-157 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Bewear Return vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Scyther: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Scyther: 143-169 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

I wanted to use a source of offense that could benefit from Scyther's hazard removal option, so I chose Mega Abomasnow. Swords Dance has always been my preferred Mega Abomasnow set, and it is effective at luring in mons like those pesky Regiteels which can make it hard for Scyther to ignore the opposition. Set is standard coverage, with enough speed for univested Registeel which also helps vs. stuff like Mega Camerupt and Escavelier. Basically, a straightforward breaker, though challenging to play with at times. Just make sure not to play it to recklessly, and wish pass (see last mon on team) can allow it some longevity in addition to its decently good natural bulk.

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

I decided to pair Abomasnow with a quicker sweeper in Zoroark. Before you have mega evolved Abomasnow, Zoroark can serve as its disguise, and with dual swords dance sets it can get quite confusing for the opponent. Set is standard swords dance, with priority sucker punch, STAB knock off, and low kick for rocks/steels/normals which take Zoroark's dark type coverage. I opted for life orb despite having room to use a Z crystal, as I mainly wanted the power for sucker punch and I already had something that could break through walls in Mega Abomasnow.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

For a scarfer I decided Gardevoir would be a good choice for its strong special attack and utility. Dual stab is basically all you need to click, while trick is very useful for crippling defensive mons so that they are setup fodder for my swords dance users or for allowing my Vaporeon (last mon down below) to be able to 1v1 them. Healing wish is also too good to pass up on, giving Mega Abomasnow the chance to sweep in the late game after being worn down from breaking the walls, or allowing a weakened Vaporeon to come in and get a second chance. This mon + trace is also very useful versus the opposing sun matchup as it shuts down the chance of a Venusaur sweep. Psychic > Psyshock is an option based on preference, but I prefer to do a bit more to things like spdef Milotic.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Nidoqueen gives the team its rocker, and another strong special attacker. Modest is my nature of choice, as I believe Nidoqueen needs its full power to function at its best. Earth power and Ice beam are pretty much Nidoqueen's obligatory coverage as they hit nearly almost everything in the tier it needs to. The last move is a tossup, but I opted for toxic, which I believe is the optimal choice for this team, as walls like Cresselia and Umbreon can be very annoying for it.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Vaporeon provides the team with a cleric and rough Salazzle counter. Almost full spdef investment is needed, so don't be fooled into thinking this will tank physical hits well, but its spdef is great. I opted for the standard wish protect set, with heal bell because I wanted the team both to be more free to play around status, and to have Vaporeon able to heal bell off toxic to serve as a wincon in the late game. This mon has great synergy with Mega Abomasnow a good portion of the time, which loves to get passed a wish and regain most of its health. Otherwise, don't play this mon to passively, as the team lacks great switches to a lot of mons that can be brought in to pressure Vaporeon, so use it to deter special attacks and force doubles as well as in the late game.

And that's the team! I've found it very enjoyable to play with, so hopefully you will to!

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)