Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

Just poking this in here. When using the Terastalize function on the damage calculator, it removes your previous STABs and treats you as only being your Tera type.
(IE: Toxtricity Tera Normal removes its original Electric/Poison STABs from the calculations, showing lower damage numbers.)
i also had this issue! or at least something similar. i think what's happening is that the Tera button only ever shows a 2x STAB boost, rather than the 1.5x you'd get from tera-ing outside your type.

my grafaiai tera'd dark in a showdown match. the calculator showed it doing 38%, but i only got 31% in the match

forgot to screencap it, but the defending pokemon is same opponent for all three:

1671948636878.png

Is it possible to change EVs in the gen 2 calculator? I want to know how much HP a Cyndaquil would have if it's level 5, 0 EVs, and either 0 or 8 IVs.

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Replay
As you can see, my Gallade does 34% with Psycho Cut on Turn 7 (before terastallizing) and on Turn 9 (after terastallizing). This is contrary to what the Damage Calculator says will happen, as the following calculations show:
252 Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Ghost Umbreon: 58-70 (28.7 - 34.6%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sharpness Tera Water Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Ghost Umbreon: 39-47 (19.3 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tl;dr: Terastallizing is implemented wrong on either the damage calculator or on the simulator. Since (to my knowledge) the calculator uses the information gathered for the simulator, I think this is a damage calculator problem. Please let me know if it isn't, so I can alert the Pokémon Showdown! developers.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Ok so I'm not 100% sure it's the right place to report this but I'll do it.

Calculator didn't provide the right value when I used it. I was Tera Grass Gyarados at +3 vs Water Absorb Quagsire Tera Poison.
The calc showed me that Tera Blast should have done 43-50% and I did like 34-37% kekw.
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Tera Blast
1672250886395.png

Replay in question : here (turn 24-25 to see damages)

Why does the damage calculator have leech seed and salt cure, but it doesn't have other kinds of end-of-turn damage like temporary trapping or curse?

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why does the damage calculator have leech seed and salt cure, but it doesn't have other kinds of end-of-turn damage like temporary trapping or curse?
Which temporary trapping moves are you talking about? I think they are all done?
Curse can be added to the TO-DO though

TTK

Narmaya. That's it.
is a Community Contributor
So I was on r/stunfisk reading the post on allowing Reshiram in OU if it was available in gen 9 because chi-yu is supposedly superior to a mon that's always ubers. Context was relevant since I was doing some damage numbers on Reshiram, specifically against Ting-Lu, who has the ability Vessel of Ruin, which drops the special attack of all pokemon except itself by 25%. Now the interesting thing is on the calc, Turboblaze, is taken into account, which is basically Mold Breaker, an ability that ignores other abilities when doing damage. Now Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt have always been specific to the abilities they ignore, mostly abilities that give you a type immunity or damage reduction (Levitate and Fluffy respectively). Bulbapedia has a list of these abilities that are ignored by Mold Breaker here and Vessel of Ruin and Tablet of Ruin (Wo-Chien's ability which has the same issue I'm presenting here as the previously mentioned ability) are not on the list.

Now the new type immunity abilities like Well-Baked Body and Earth Eater are on the list, which makes sense to me but my question is, has Mold Breaker (the only available ignoring ability in gen 9) been tested to bypass the attack/special attack drop of Tablets of Ruin and Vessel of Ruin? If it has in-game, then no issue (Bulbapedia just needs to update their list but that would seem weird they would lack this information) but seeing how something like Dark Aura and Fairy Aura, somewhat similar abilities to the Ruin abilities, are no longer ignored by Mold Breaker, seems weird to be the case if they were ignored.
1672847305988.png
1672847324448.png

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I was on r/stunfisk reading the post on allowing Reshiram in OU if it was available in gen 9 because chi-yu is supposedly superior to a mon that's always ubers. Context was relevant since I was doing some damage numbers on Reshiram, specifically against Ting-Lu, who has the ability Vessel of Ruin, which drops the special attack of all pokemon except itself by 25%. Now the interesting thing is on the calc, Turboblaze, is taken into account, which is basically Mold Breaker, an ability that ignores other abilities when doing damage. Now Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt have always been specific to the abilities they ignore, mostly abilities that give you a type immunity or damage reduction (Levitate and Fluffy respectively). Bulbapedia has a list of these abilities that are ignored by Mold Breaker here and Vessel of Ruin and Tablet of Ruin (Wo-Chien's ability which has the same issue I'm presenting here as the previously mentioned ability) are not on the list.

Now the new type immunity abilities like Well-Baked Body and Earth Eater are on the list, which makes sense to me but my question is, has Mold Breaker (the only available ignoring ability in gen 9) been tested to bypass the attack/special attack drop of Tablets of Ruin and Vessel of Ruin? If it has in-game, then no issue (Bulbapedia just needs to update their list but that would seem weird they would lack this information) but seeing how something like Dark Aura and Fairy Aura, somewhat similar abilities to the Ruin abilities, are no longer ignored by Mold Breaker, seems weird to be the case if they were ignored.View attachment 480677View attachment 480678
This would be a question for this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/thre...hanics-research.3709545/page-25#post-9448135/

But please post back if the mechanics are wrong

Which temporary trapping moves are you talking about? I think they are all done?
Curse can be added to the TO-DO though
Last time I checked, the calculator didn't let a Pokemon take end-of-turn damage from stuff like wrap, bind, or whirlpool.

Austin

Schismatic
Last time I checked, the calculator didn't let a Pokemon take end-of-turn damage from stuff like wrap, bind, or whirlpool.
You must be confused. I’ve had this added since 2018, and it does still work when I’m testing on the current build

Spread moves should have a nerf of 25% to their power, but I think the calculator is subtracting an additional point of power from spread moves. For example, Earthquake is dealing damage as though it were at 74 power instead of 75 power and Make It Rain is dealing damage as though it were at 89 power instead of 90 power.
E: I was messing around with the calc some more, and with certain EVs, it appears to be doing between 89 and 90 base power, not sure why.
You might want to find the specific calcs you used, but this likely is not a bug. The 0.75x multiplier isn't applied to the base power of the move, but is instead applied to the end damage result. This can produce slightly different numbers due to the nature of the damage calculation as well as due to rounding. It is entirely possible for the results you described to occur.
240 Atk Garchomp Earthquake (100 BP) in Doubles vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew deals up to 144 damage.
240 Atk Garchomp Stomping Tantrum (75 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew deals up to 145 damage.
This is in fact the correct output.
You can check out this link if you want to know more about how this works (it says Gen 5, but the broad details are still more or less accurate as far as I'm aware).

You must be confused. I’ve had this added since 2018, and it does still work when I’m testing on the current build
I don't see temporary trapping moves anywhere in the interface's status effect section. Also can you move salt cure to that section, just for consistency?

Attachments

Austin

Schismatic
I don't see temporary trapping moves anywhere in the interface's status effect section. Also can you move salt cure to that section, just for consistency?
Ah that’s what you meant. What I was talking about is if you have a mon with a trapping move and click on the trapping move, it will take into account the trapping move damage over turns. My apologizes.

Lvl 82 84 Atk Tera Fire Volcanion Flame Charge vs. Lvl 86 84 HP / 84 Def Raichu-Alola: 100-118 (41.1 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
was given by the Randbats calc.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9randombattle-1764831849
that contradicts turn 13 and a different calc that a Help room staff member used to verify the bug.
no idea what the problem might be but we believe it's an error with the calc
The issue seems to be that the calculator does not have the following behavior:
Bulbapedia said:
Additionally, moves of the Tera Type that have base power below 60 but are not a multi-strike move or an increased priority move are stealthily boosted to 60BP
The correct calculation (which lines up with the replay) would therefore be:
Lvl 82 84 Atk Tera Fire Volcanion Flame Charge (60 BP) vs. Lvl 86 84 HP / 84 Def Raichu-Alola: 118-140 (48.5 - 57.6%)

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Some unintended behavior I found with Tera + Adaptability.

Since Adaptability and Terastal both increase STAB to 2x, GameFreak made it so that these two have a significantly diminished effect when combined, instead increasing power to 2.25x, which only raises the STAB modifier by 1.125x versus a second 1.33x. This aspect is reflected accurately on the calculator.

However, if your Tera Type does not match one (or both) of your original Types, you are supposed to lose the Adaptability boost entirely (per Bulbapedia, Serebii said nothing but I assume it's just not been addressed yet). This is implemented properly on Showdown after some quick testing, but the calculator does something else.

(1)Adaptability, No Tera
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(2)No Adaptability or Tera
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 286-337 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

(3)Adaptability with related Tera Type
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Dragon Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 430-506 (126 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(4)Adaptability with unrelated Tera Type
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Poison Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 334-394 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

(5)Adaptability with Dragon Tera Type on a non-Dragon Dragalge
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Dragon Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 334-394 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Some quick math with the damage rolls of 2 and 4 reveals that the 1.125x modifier to bring 2x to 2.25x is being incorrectly applied to unrelated Tera Types. I have almost no programming experience, but it appears the issue might have something to do with Adaptability's 1.33x Damage modifier being set to 1.125x for both original Types, instead of just being applied to the Tera one while being negated for the other. The situation with 5 seems to be related but I am struggling to wrap my head around the exact issue. Again, did testing and Showdown works fine.

Hey! I don't know if that was suggested before but for players that like to play formats on LVL 50 and LVL 100, a switch, where you can choose between those two levels, would be a great help. Especially if your building teams, it's tedious to type in "LVL 50" everytime you are calcing with another Pokemon. I think for many players that would be a huge quality of life improvement. :)

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Quite a niche interaction, but Ruin abilities are immune to drops from the same Ruin ability

So:

1. Two opposing Chien-Pao's ignore the defense drops from Sword of Ruin.
  2. Two opposite Chi-Yu's ignore the spdef drops from Beads of Ruin
  3. Two opposite Ting-Lu's ignore the SpA drops from Vessel of Ruin
  4. Two opposite Wo-Chien's ignore the Attack drops from Tablets of Ruin.

Note: They do not ignore Ruin abilities in general, specifically their own, so for example Wo-Chien would still be affected from the defense drop from Chien-Pao's Sword of Ruin.

This was recently confirmed in this post: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...chanics-research.3709545/page-27#post-9468357

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
1673897656281.png

as shown here, the snow weather is properly shown visually that it's active

1673897663839.png

however when I change it to rain, it doesn't highlight the weather properly (the damage calc itself is still properly done.) this appears to be just because the calc doesn't like that neither pokemon has drizzle? this happens with all weather afaik

Austin

Schismatic
Some unintended behavior I found with Tera + Adaptability.

Since Adaptability and Terastal both increase STAB to 2x, GameFreak made it so that these two have a significantly diminished effect when combined, instead increasing power to 2.25x, which only raises the STAB modifier by 1.125x versus a second 1.33x. This aspect is reflected accurately on the calculator.

However, if your Tera Type does not match one (or both) of your original Types, you are supposed to lose the Adaptability boost entirely (per Bulbapedia, Serebii said nothing but I assume it's just not been addressed yet). This is implemented properly on Showdown after some quick testing, but the calculator does something else.

(1)Adaptability, No Tera
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(2)No Adaptability or Tera
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 286-337 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

(3)Adaptability with related Tera Type
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Dragon Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 430-506 (126 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(4)Adaptability with unrelated Tera Type
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Poison Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 334-394 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

(5)Adaptability with Dragon Tera Type on a non-Dragon Dragalge
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Dragon Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 334-394 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Some quick math with the damage rolls of 2 and 4 reveals that the 1.125x modifier to bring 2x to 2.25x is being incorrectly applied to unrelated Tera Types. I have almost no programming experience, but it appears the issue might have something to do with Adaptability's 1.33x Damage modifier being set to 1.125x for both original Types, instead of just being applied to the Tera one while being negated for the other. The situation with 5 seems to be related but I am struggling to wrap my head around the exact issue. Again, did testing and Showdown works fine.
Should be fixed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)