Pokemon Leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So considering the relevance to Pokemon Leagues and VGC through Play! Pokemon, this seemed like the best place to put this.

What is a Pokemon League?
Pokemon leagues are these awesome semi-sponsored get togethers between Pokemon fans, usually occurring every week. They can occur in any kind of space, and are usually very nice environments. Leagues usually specify if they are Trading Card Game centric, Video Game centric, or both, but I can almost guarentee you you can go there and find people interested in both. What's more is that it's very, very easy to get wrapped into the opposite side of things and find a second Pokemon centric hobby.

Meetings are usually fairly relaxed, even during scheduled tournaments. Honestly, a lot of it is shooting the breeze about Pokemon for however long, then getting into matches with the video games or card games. League has Pokemon fans of all ages too, from Elementary School Juniors, to Pre-teen and early tean Seniors, to late teen and older Masters, meaning you'll be able find someone to have fun with. There's also some cool merchandise like specially marked Trading Cards, key chains, and actual physical gym badges to win!

Where can I find my closest League?
Use the hyperlink in the above title and it'll take you to Pokemon's search engine for events. Just remember to specify that you're looking for leagues over premier events and such.

I've just recently started visiting my local league (if you live in the metro Atlanta area, you can say hi to me and others at this league!) and it's an absolute blast. I highly, highly recommend it to any Pokemon fan to try going to your closest league at least once. This thread is for general discussion about experiences you've had at league, questions or concerns about the program, or just to promote your own league. This stuff is really too much fun and I'd love to see it get more discussion!

Last edited:
My league actually does VGC rules tournaments once a month, so it's pretty awesome. We also do a lot of trading spitbacks, so it's definitely worth the time of checking out.

This is a great idea that I was not aware of. My issue is that I can not really get out to these places as even the close ones are a good distance away. Has anyone ever tried to do one of these over wifi or PS!? I would be willing to organize one of these leagues online. I am sure that a lot of people would love to play but can not get out. Would people be interested if I held a weekly online event that would be the current VGC rules?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
lucariojr actually told me about these a long time ago, but I had totally forgotten about it, so thanks for reminding me. I'm looking forward to going to one of these sometime (probably this summer when I have free time). If anyone here is in the Orlando area let's meet up at one! Should be great to meet competitive players in real life :>

(and hopefully between now and then I'll actually be able to learn VGC and get good Pokemon lol)

This is a great idea that I was not aware of. My issue is that I can not really get out to these places as even the close ones are a good distance away. Has anyone ever tried to do one of these over wifi or PS!? I would be willing to organize one of these leagues online. I am sure that a lot of people would love to play but can not get out. Would people be interested if I held a weekly online event that would be the current VGC rules?
These are purely IRL events since one of the main premises is a sort of weekly get together. That said if you would like to host some circuit of VGC tournaments here, you're free to get into contact with me or another Wi-Fi mod and set something up.

I should also mention that if anyone for some reason is hesitant to go from being unfamiliar with the VGC rule set, that isn't a big problem. People play all kinds of different formats from what I've seen so far and at my local league, 6v6 singles is very popular.

Hell, this one kid that comes to league stomps on his buddies with his Xerneus and level 100 Azumarill in triple battles, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)