Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Very excited to see new evolutions and new regional forms! But, as competitive player, I am very curious of how these new pokemon will relate to the metagame, will they be available for use? Will they have abilities?
Well someone said that both Legends and the remakes are compatible with pokemon home. Question is: would we be allowed to transfer pokemons to SW/SH? If not, than this is a different meta, just like the LGPE games. There will be the Gen 8 meta and the BD/SP + Legends metas.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Well someone said that both Legends and the remakes are compatible with pokemon home. Question is: would we be allowed to transfer pokemons to SW/SH? If not, than this is a different meta, just like the LGPE games. There will be the Gen 8 meta and the BD/SP + Legends metas.
Whilst they are compatible with Home, that doesn't mean anything for their compatibility with Sword and Shield.

I've now had this discussion in about ten places. There is definitely a chance that they do a huge patch and "finish the Dex" in SwSh, but I would also argue there is a bigger chance they don't do anything. There will still be a chunk of Pokémon which won't exist in any of the three games (assuming Legends doesn't throw a curve ball). So I don't see them adding anything to SwSh.

Home will give us "normalized" stats and information about the new Mons, but a SwSh compatibility patch seems unlikely based on previous information.

For now, I would definitely lean "not compatible" so you can be excited later on.

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption that SWSH, the game that will continue to be the "primary" competitive game moving forward, would get an update to be compatable with the pokemon available so that you could bring them to ranked battles as a mid-generation influx of pokemon again.

Especially for Legends Arceus, which is gamefreak's new "mainline" darling with new forms and Pokemon. Even if they don't want to bother making the other Pokemon compatible (for.......some reason), those new ones should be enticing. And certainly they'd probably appreciate the cross-polination..."Basculegion is right there friends....oh look it's very strong....sure would be nice to have one of your own for VGC hm...?"

e:
Consider this: if you're a person who cares about competitive*, there's no reason to buy BDSP (a game with likely a limited gen 1-4 dex, no ranked mode and wont be used for VGC) or Legends Arceus (a primarily single player adventure with probably no online battles and defiinitely not ranked)...unless you can have access to those new (old) Pokemon in SWSH

*Also yes obviously thanks to the advent of online trading you can sidestep this entirely if you're patient enough but broadly speaking

Last edited:
No one can answer the first, we can only theorize. But the second question is unnecesary. In the hypothetical scenario that they are available in other games (ShSw, for example) how is it even conceivable that they could lack abilities. Just using logic, do you imagine yourself pressing the data option in the Pokémon just to witness a giant, empty blank space in the section where it should read "Ability"?
Reminds me of how in LGPE there were no abilities, but the pokémon had still abilities coded in, so that's how we got to know Meltan/Melmetal's abilities.

So, even if PL:A won't use abilities, the new forms and evolutions likely will have ability data either for SwSh or future games.

Consider this: if you're a person who cares about competitive*, there's no reason to buy BDSP (a game with likely a limited gen 1-4 dex, no ranked mode and wont be used for VGC) or Legends Arceus (a primarily single player adventure with probably no online battles and defiinitely not ranked)...unless you can have access to those new (old) Pokemon in SWSH
Well... You just described LGPE
And they've sold as much units of those as for ORAS.

IMO
It's a dumb and pathetic job if they're not preparing the SwSh patch at the same time the teams are developing the games.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This is really minor but why is a Gible hanging out in a frozen landscape? A single snowflake lands on its head and the poor thing dies!

In all seriousness though, this can announce a shakeup of the Pokémon distribution. Past games have been pretty conservative about habitats, with Fire mons near volcanoes, Grass mons typically in jungles, Ice mons never in tundras or similar, Rock mons in mountains, etc.

Will we see more diversity in Pokémon/area correlations? I certainly wouldn't mind it, the ecosystem analyses could be endless.

Personally I'm with this opinion as well.

They clearly stated that SwSh will be the competitive game basically until the next mainline release (which should be somewhere at end of 2022 / start of 2023).
They will want the metagame to stay interesting for another year, and being able to use your shiny new toys (tm) at same time is a great way to sell the games (since people will want to get them rather than wait for trades off GTS, expecially if they introduce legendaries which isn't to exclude for AL, or moveset additions with BDSP).

If it was any other company, i'd say 100% chance SwSh will get a free patch when Home compatibility for BDSP/AL launches, which will include all the new pokemon as well as whatever is still missing and available.
Obviously, this is GameFreaks we talking about, and I'd definitely agree with DHR-107 that even the most obvious maneuvers aren't necessarly guaranteed.

Personally, still, i'm leaning on "they will be available".

And honestly I sure hope at very least Basculegion will be good, though I can't wait to see the new Arcanine :psysly:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption that SWSH, the game that will continue to be the "primary" competitive game moving forward, would get an update to be compatable with the pokemon available so that you could bring them to ranked battles as a mid-generation influx of pokemon again.

Especially for Legends Arceus, which is gamefreak's new "mainline" darling with new forms and Pokemon. Even if they don't want to bother making the other Pokemon compatible (for.......some reason), those new ones should be enticing. And certainly they'd probably appreciate the cross-polination..."Basculegion is right there friends....oh look it's very strong....sure would be nice to have one of your own for VGC hm...?"

e:

*Also yes obviously thanks to the advent of online trading you can sidestep this entirely if you're patient enough but broadly speaking
Personally I think what would be a good reason to make BDSP/Legends mons HOME transferrable to SwSh is to bring in new toys to VGC 22 and allow next year's metagames to be more interesting with such mons added.

As for them being usable in SwSh, a highly likely possibility is that the BDSP/Legends mons will be transferrable to SwSh but will be treated as non-Galar Pokedex and will not receive dex entries, essentially being treated as outsiders akin to the Crown Tundra legendaries and the transferrable mythicals.

As for them being usable in SwSh, a highly likely possibility is that the BDSP/Legends mons will be transferrable to SwSh but will be treated as non-Galar Pokedex and will not receive dex entries, essentially being treated as outsiders akin to the Crown Tundra legendaries and the transferrable mythicals.
So pretty much same as the current Den pokemon and the gen 7 starters

As usual for me, I only ever remember to come back to this forum when I see Pokémon news exciting enough to make me want to go somewhere and just talk for a bit about how I feel about them, lol.

Anyways, really excited Legend Arceus not necessarily for how good it looks (I think it looks really good), but for just how ambitious it feels within Pokémon's mainline series (I know this is kinda more of a side-game, but... close enough).

While I'm not AT ALL the kind to think that "Game Freak is lazy, they don't care about their games!!", I do kind of think that their Pokémon titles have kind of been in a weird place for a really long time. Red & Blue were the first games and have set the first standard for the series so there isn't much to talk about those in this regard, but Gold & Silver really stand out compared to other Pokémon games, because they were the only ones to exist within the context of "Pokémon as an already existing series, but one that only has one game", which means that they only had to obey to the standards and expectations that come from this one other game, and no other. This ended up making it more of a direct sequel to Red & Blue specifically than just another set of Pokémon games.

Then, Ruby & Sapphire had to create yet another standard, one that introduced a brand new region instead of building on top of an existing one, so I'd say these are still very important and ambitous games within the context of their releases. Every other Pokémon game after that though, have simply followed the standards introduced by Gen 3 instead of trying to create their own. Not to say that these are bad games, on the contrary, I prefer most of them over the first 3 Gens actually, just in terms of their quality. But these games don't feel ambitious is what I mean, it feels like they've always had to obey to expectations stablished by the series' history.

That's why Legend Arceus feels so interesting, it feels like it's finally breaking away from this and trying to do something interesting with the series' basic concepts instead of building on top of an already existing structure. It's a game that feels truly ambitious in a way that the series hasn't seen in quite a while. Even if it doesn't turn out to be quite as good as we all expect it to be (I hope this isn't the case, of course), it might still end up being a very respectable game when compared to what the series had before.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Last time this was thread was open I discussed Pokemon that may come into conflict with the time period and as such may be omitted from the dex, namely Rotom and the Porygon family. Since then I've thought of some more Pokemon who may fall into this criteria.

Rampardos
Bastiodon

The fossils may very well be goners. I was initially thinking they could justify them still being in the wild but then I looked deeper into the lore and realized these dudes' heyday dates back to hundreds of millions of years ago. I guess they could tuck in a hideaway in Mt. Coronet somewhere, but otherwise with technology to revive fossils not being around yet it's bye bye for these guys.

Electivire
Magmortar

Wait a minute, you might be thinking, wasn't Magmortar in the footage? And yeah, it was. The problem with these Pokemon isn't with themselves, but their evo items.

Electirizer
Magmarizer

The Electrizer and Magmarizer both look very artificial, like items that couldn't possibly exist at this time unlike the Protector or even the Metal Coat. Maybe they'll come up with alternate evolution methods, maybe they just won't acknowledge the discrepancy, who knows.

Last time this was thread was open I discussed Pokemon that may come into conflict with the time period and as such may be omitted from the dex, namely Rotom and the Porygon family. Since then I've thought of some more Pokemon who may fall into this criteria.

Rampardos
Bastiodon

The fossils may very well be goners. I was initially thinking they could justify them still being in the wild but then I looked deeper into the lore and realized these dudes' heyday dates back to hundreds of millions of years ago. I guess they could tuck in a hideaway in Mt. Coronet somewhere, but otherwise with technology to revive fossils not being around yet it's bye bye for these guys.

Electivire
Magmortar

Wait a minute, you might be thinking, wasn't Magmortar in the footage? And yeah, it was. The problem with these Pokemon isn't with themselves, but their evo items.

Electirizer
Magmarizer

The Electrizer and Magmarizer both look very artificial, like items that couldn't possibly exist at this time unlike the Protector or even the Metal Coat. Maybe they'll come up with alternate evolution methods, maybe they just won't acknowledge the discrepancy, who knows.
I mean, Magneton was seen for a split second in the new trailer. That doesn't look like anything that would exist around the Meiji Restoration era, like at all.

Electirizer
Magmarizer

Fun fact: the electrizer, magmarizar and metal coat can be found held by wild pokemon, while the protector cannot. So the protector is arguably the least likely of the mentioned items to appear in a less technologically advanced time period.

Unfortunately, neither the up-grade nor the dubious disc are wild held items.

Gonna be real, not exactly gonna be thinking hard about most trade evolution items when we're out here with steampunk pokeballs. Especially when they're so vague as the magmarizer & electriziers. They're just...boxes....? Of energy....?? That vaguely exist???? Who knows what not-meiji not-japan can do with those, much less galar imports like the pokeballs.

I think we'll be able to handwave our way through fossils. Just have a "strange are lost to time" of some sort. Or hell just retcon it so they discovered restoration technology way back then. Some parts of the world were making war crime robotic pokemon, so why not!

Porygon's the one I think we'd all have to cock an eye brow for because it's always canonically been created in recent modern memory and the rest of its line follow suit. I had better see one of our time/space altering pokemon offering an explantion for THAT set of OOPArts!

Gonna be real, not exactly gonna be thinking hard about most trade evolution items when we're out here with steampunk pokeballs. Especially when they're so vague as the magmarizer & electriziers. They're just...boxes....? Of energy....?? That vaguely exist???? Who knows what not-meiji not-japan can do with those, much less galar imports like the pokeballs.

I think we'll be able to handwave our way through fossils. Just have a "strange are lost to time" of some sort. Or hell just retcon it so they discovered restoration technology way back then. Some parts of the world were making war crime robotic pokemon, so why not!

Porygon's the one I think we'd all have to cock an eye brow for because it's always canonically been created in recent modern memory and the rest of its line follow suit. I had better see one of our time/space altering pokemon offering an explantion for THAT set of OOPArts!
According to the Bulbapedia timeline, Lunatone was first seen only 40 years before RSEORAS, Elgyem is first seen 50 years before Gen 5, and Roggenrola was first seen 100 years before Gen 5. Everything else was probably before/around Legends Arceus.

Inb4 ancient regional form of Porygon with much more focus on the origami aspect
I'm all in for this! It would definitely be simple enough for Porygon-Hisuian, an origami bird (Flying/Flying-Fairy type.) Not exactly sure what the evolutions would look like, but it could be a more complex origami style that could be similar to Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
While we all enjoy a touch of speculation, nots get too deep into stuff like that please.

It opens doors that are not easily closed. I'm fine with speculation based on what we know, but not on random whims of people.

Wishlisting is against Orange Island rules for a reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)