SPOILERS! Pokemon Legends: Arceus *Leak Thread*

Im pretty happy to see that theyre giving old pokemon recovery and utility moves again. Iirc swsh didnt add any buffs to old pokemon wheres my recover lanturn

Some changes that caught my eye:
New spikes users: Gliscor, H-Decidueye, Overqwil
Gliscor absolutely did not need that buff. Not excited to see gliscor mirrors just setting up spikes to infinity, itll be worse than ferrothorn mirrors good god

Decidueye has alot of competition with chesnaught since ches has a better stat spread, moves, ability. Gamefreak really did owl dirty, maybe he could find use as a defogger that resists ground/rock?

Overqwil sounds amazing for monotype, a dark poison intimidate with knock off? Sign me up.

New roost users: Mantyke, lumineon (!!!), empoleon
New recover users: Mesprit, Gardevoir, Cresselia, Lilligant, Vespiquen, Shaymin
Im glad mantyke and happiny match their evolutions now. Mantyke might even get some ZU use cause hes a thic mon

Im SO excited abt the fish its one of my favourite pokemon. It already has defog and uturn now thanks to roost it can be a legitimate defensive pivot like i always wanted

We all know Empoleon is gonna be easy OU so i wont comment. Water steel rock-setting penguin is good

Mesprit is actually gonna terrorize lower tiers so much. It was already such a reliable rocker and pivot already, and calm mind sets were scary to face but at least u could chip it

Gardevoir is interesting. It gets boltbeam + mystical fire + strong stabs. It also had wilowisp and cm sets, now it can heal and use bulky setup? All its missing is rocks and itll be more versatile than clef lol

Cresselia isnt limited to 8pp on its recovery now so thats great, it was one of its biggest problems

Lilligant will still prefer strength sap on its quiver dance sets but its still a nice addition

Shaymin and vespiquen is w/e
I don't know if we should be so sure that new moves that pokemon learn in PLA will even be transferrable to home. We could have the let's go situation where movesets are generated on import to home. They have the opportunity for example to give piplup roost through the pla/bdsp piplup distribution but they chose not to.

Will Smogon create a separate Legends: Arceus (PLA) format which uses the new turn-based battle mechanics from the game (action-order and all)?

Given PLA does not have PvP/online battles, I'd be curious to see how the meta would develop for this type of new battle style.
I have no idea if PLA battle style can be applied on PS, probably it will demand a great workaround. It's not clear what exactly is a turn, it seems it uses a cycle of speed calculations based on style, move and speed status.

Judgment's PP being 5/8 is a bit of a problem but depending on how it interacts with abilities, Legend Plate Arceus would literally be uncounterable. It would be like Mega Rayquaza but even worse, because even Mega Ray runs into 4MSS and can't run Dragon Ascent, Earthquake, Extremespeed, Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, and V-Create all on the same set, so something is going to check it. Heatran if it lacks Earthquake, Skarmory if it lacks V-Create, etc.

Legends Plate Arceus clicks one move and hits everything. The fact that it only has 8 PP is irrelevant if it only needs 6 of them to 6-0 you, and even if you pack multiple Pressure users or something stupid like that, it would definitely punch colossal holes in your team with that 8 PP that would be extremely easy for its 5 other teammates to exploit.

If Legends Plate makes it into a main series game I would genuinely say it would be the most broken thing ever released. At least you can play around Mega Rayquaza, even if that counterplay is ridiculously limited. How do you play around this? Sac something to lock it into a certain type and then revengekill it with a faster Pokemon, praying to... Arceus that it doesn't just switch out? Gimmicky shit like Focus Sash + Mirror Coat/Metal Burst? The X button?
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 236-282 (33 - 39.4%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 200-236 (28 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 198-234 (28.1 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 158-188 (22.4 - 26.7%) -- 25.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Ice Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 198-234 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Multiscale makes displaying the Calcs weird, but it's a 3HKO against physically defensive Lugia as well)
Losing the 20% boost from the type plate was a big deal here, there's a few of those calcs that are an extra hit because of that.

Yes, Arceus can set up in that situation, but if it gets statused while it does, that's a problem. And as others have mentioned, the speed tier is a bigger problem. Honestly, a bulky set may be a better option than an outright sweeper. A lot is going to depend on how Arceus's type is decided from among the options. Random would probably be strongest, because if there's any order, look for of teams to start carrying specific coverage based on what Arceus is likely to be against their team, similar to imposter-proofing.

252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 236-282 (33 - 39.4%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 200-236 (28 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 198-234 (28.1 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Fighting Judgment vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 158-188 (22.4 - 26.7%) -- 25.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Arceus-Ice Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 198-234 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Multiscale makes displaying the Calcs weird, but it's a 3HKO against physically defensive Lugia as well)
Losing the 20% boost from the type plate was a big deal here, there's a few of those calcs that are an extra hit because of that.

Yes, Arceus can set up in that situation, but if it gets statused while it does, that's a problem. And as others have mentioned, the speed tier is a bigger problem. Honestly, a bulky set may be a better option than an outright sweeper. A lot is going to depend on how Arceus's type is decided from among the options. Random would probably be strongest, because if there's any order, look for of teams to start carrying specific coverage based on what Arceus is likely to be against their team, similar to imposter-proofing.
I don't think it is necessarily safe to assume the Legend Plate will lose the 20% buff given it is obviously intended to be a super plate. I do agree with your overall contention that Arceus will require some setup though -- 120 special attack is just not that impressive by Ubers standards, even with the plate boost. Marshadow manages with similar offensive stats on account of its amazing coverage, but it is reliant on a boosting item and higher BP moves to meet important KO benchmarks and I think Arceus might struggle without either being freely available.

A defensive setup set could work, but... Judgement and Calm Mind are strictly necessary and that only leaves two moveslots to deal with everything you can throw at it. Iron Defense? Recover? Substitute? Rest? It's not immediately obvious which to use. Then again, it can still force guessing games if the opponent doesn't know which specific strategy will work against it.

I don't think it is necessarily safe to assume the Legend Plate will lose the 20% buff given it is obviously intended to be a super plate. I do agree with your overall contention that Arceus will require some setup though -- 120 special attack is just not that impressive by Ubers standards, even with the plate boost. Marshadow manages with similar offensive stats on account of its amazing coverage, but it is reliant on a boosting item and higher BP moves to meet important KO benchmarks and I think Arceus might struggle without either being freely available.

A defensive setup set could work, but... Judgement and Calm Mind are strictly necessary and that only leaves two moveslots to deal with everything you can throw at it. Iron Defense? Recover? Substitute? Rest? It's not immediately obvious which to use. Then again, it can still force guessing games if the opponent doesn't know which specific strategy will work against it.
In an roundabout way, a rest/sleep talk set could be a workaround for Judgement's low PP. Sleep Talk only draws PP from itself, and can still successfully execute moves with no PP left. It might even avoid Pressure since it technically self-targets.

Or this could just be me once again insisting on the most convoluted way of doing something possible

In an roundabout way, a rest/sleep talk set could be a workaround for Judgement's low PP. Sleep Talk only draws PP from itself, and can still successfully execute moves with no PP left. It might even avoid Pressure since it technically self-targets.

Or this could just be me once again insisting on the most convoluted way of doing something possible
It's an interesting possibility for getting around its weakness to status. You won't always be able to attack, but that means lower speed opponents won't always know what type you'll be on their turn, which could limit their ability to capitalise on wasted turns.

Let's indulge in some speculation based on the pokedex numbers.
We know we're based around Jubilife, and the earliest route mons are the same as in DPPt.

With the exception of Eevee, all families up to Golem (48) can be found by heading north towards Eterna Forest, Valley Windworks, and Route 206 in DPPt. Despite this including the geodude and zubat lines, entering a cave is not required. I strongly suspect this is the direction we'll be heading first. Wyrdeer is #50, and stantler is not found in DPPt, so I expect it closes off that region.

The next few mons include most of the remaining mons from aboveground west Sinnoh, including the honey tree mons. This section also contains pikachu and Mime Jr (trophy garden in sinnoh), paras (new), and the chimchar line. The mon grouping ends at 79 with Ambipom so it might be blending slightly with the next section, as the likely Noble for this area in Kleavor is only #74

#80 is magikarp, implying we get fishing access around this time. Following it are two more water-type families: shellos and Qwilfish. After that, we get our first mon from eastern Sinnoh: the Happiny line. Roserade also appears here quite a bit later than in DPPt, likely because the first area is snowier. Happiniy indicating we crossed the mountains to the south is backed up by the next block having a swamp theme, including Carnivine, Croagunk, Tangela, and Barboach. Section ends with both the peat bog-based Ursaluna, and Goodra, number 117.

The next section leads with three rock types, and then moves on to mons from the Solaceon and Veilstone area, ruins included. In addition to the expected Gastly, Spiritomb, and Unown, this section also includes the turtwig and more noticably Porygon lines. I think this is where the time travel plot thread is starting to pick up. We get a couple more oceanic mons in Spheal and Remoraid, then caps off with Arcanine at #151, fitting for the Legendary Pokemon :P.

Next section is short, seems to indicate that it leads to Sunnyshore with mantyke and Chatot, contains piplup, and ends with Basculegion at #166. Certainly seems later than getting Surf after gym 5.

The next part is interesting. After vulpix-A and two more families of sea filler, we hit the industrial mon selection. Magnemite, bronzor, electabuzz/magmortar, and Nosepass are all here, as well as some extra mountain and cave mons in Gligar and Gible. There's a possibility that we end up heading to Canalave and Iron Island, but the mon distribution leans towards Mt. Coronet itself. Electrode is near the end of this section, at #193. However, it continues to have focus on the lower parts of the mountain with Chingling and Cleffa, so this area probably ends with #204, weavile.

As expected from Weavile's distribution in sinnoh, we have the ice area up next. Late as always... Anyway, the fossil mons are also here, and it ends off the regular mon selection with Zoroark (#220) and Braviary(#222). Lucario occurs after this, which to me implies its a gift mon.

All remaining mons are legendary, and don't provide much info on location. Title legendaries and Arceus are grouped together between the others and the mythicals, and it otherwise follows normal Dex order.

TL;DR: We're probably going to Eterna first, Oreburg Second, Pastoria third, Veilstone fourth, Sunnyshore fifth, Mt. Coronet caves sixth, Snowpoint last because who even wants early ice types anyways?

I don't know if we should be so sure that new moves that pokemon learn in PLA will even be transferrable to home. We could have the let's go situation where movesets are generated on import to home. They have the opportunity for example to give piplup roost through the pla/bdsp piplup distribution but they chose not to.
That's Go -> Let's Go. Let's Go moves persist when transferring out, ask anyone annoyed with the prevalence of Teleport spam in SwSh OU lol

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have no idea if PLA battle style can be applied on PS, probably it will demand a great workaround. It's not clear what exactly is a turn, it seems it uses a cycle of speed calculations based on style, move and speed status.
Seems more of a research than implementation issue the way you describe it. At the end of the day a turn is still a turn. And there already exist moves that prompt the player to make extra inputs mid-turn, so I suppose all bases are covered.

The Showdown battle engine is more robust and versatile than many would imagine; e.g. it even supported trading mons between sides mid-battle.

The Showdown battle engine is more robust and versatile than many would imagine; e.g. it even supported trading mons between sides mid-battle.
Pretty sure the question isn't "can it be implemented" but rather "how would it work".
The game doesn't have any PvP, there's no way to know how exactly certain moves, expecially environmental ones used by Nobles, would behave in a player vs player scenario.

On top of well, if it's even worth the effort to code in a special mode that noone would play anyway.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty sure the question isn't "can it be implemented" but rather "how would it work".
The game doesn't have any PvP, there's no way to know how exactly certain moves, expecially environmental ones used by Nobles, would behave in a player vs player scenario.

On top of well, if it's even worth the effort to code in a special mode that noone would play anyway.
For exclusively NPC elements there is always the Eternamax treatment. A hypothetical PLA OM would be more concerned about the generic mechanics, such as styles, status conditions, and weathers imo.

For exclusively NPC elements there is always the Eternamax treatment. A hypothetical PLA OM would be more concerned about the generic mechanics, such as styles, status conditions, and weathers imo.
That was part of what I referred with "no way to know", because the game doesn't have a way to check a player vs player interaction of stuff like styles and weather, so you'd have to work on hypoteticals.

Which I mean... you can do... but is it even worth it? Probably not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)