SPOILERS! Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee Datamine Info

Competitive aside, this game still looks like trash to me. I get that they're trying to bring in Go players, but what happens in the 2019 game? It's a huge adjustment for us "veterans" going from what we're used to to this dumbed down version with all the candy nonsense, I can't imagine what it'll be like the other way around, especially since Go players have a huge age range. Is this going to be a one-off where they grab whatever cash they can from Go players? Will this be the formula going forward? Or are they going to slowly ease those players into the way things were, in which case I can't see myself buying the 2019 game either.

Competitive aside, this game still looks like trash to me. I get that they're trying to bring in Go players, but what happens in the 2019 game? It's a huge adjustment for us "veterans" going from what we're used to to this dumbed down version with all the candy nonsense, I can't imagine what it'll be like the other way around, especially since Go players have a huge age range. Is this going to be a one-off where they grab whatever cash they can from Go players? Will this be the formula going forward? Or are they going to slowly ease those players into the way things were, in which case I can't see myself buying the 2019 game either.
They rereleased the GB games on the eShop and no one seemed to have a mental breakdown trying to figure out how to play those and then go back to the USUM meta. Plus, in-game has never really resembled competitive play anyway, eg defensive Pokémon are pretty much dead weight, EVs are meaningless, hazards are virtually useless, etc. Candies aside, I sincerely doubt the in-game experience will even be noticeably different from how it usually is since held items and abilities don’t carry much weight for the story run outside of maybe throwing a type-boosting item on something with matching STAB for a little extra power. I think at most they’ll take a few QOL changes from this and apply those to Gen 8; I would be truly shocked if the stripped down mechanics became the norm.

Edit: Also it’s not like hardcore Go players are going to be totally mystified by Gen 7 mechanics; if anything, CP is even more opaque than EVs and IVs already exist in Go.

It's dumbed down compared to USUM, yes, but overall it's pretty much the same level of complexity of RBY (no items, 151 pokémon, all stats increased equally instead of restricted by EVs) and perhaps GSC (defense-biased balance), which is when the majority of Pokemon players started playing. And that matches their idea of target audience for Let's Go: young newcomers, former players, or a parent-child combination of both.

Last edited:
It's dumbed down compared to USUM, yes, but overall it's pretty much the same level of complexity of RBY (no items, 151 pokémon, all stats increased equally instead of restricted by EVs) and perhaps GSC (defense-biased balance), which is when the majority of Pokemon players started playing. And that matches their idea of target audience for Let's Go: young newcomers, former players, or a parent-child combination of both.
I'd go so far as to say it's RBY+ with a handful of new moves/legal tradeback moves from what would be GSC, and a few extra species representation thanks to Melmetal and the Alolas+Megas (Ghost gets Marowak, Dragon gets Charizard and Exeggutor, plus new Steel/Fairy/Dark to boot etc.). I'm optimistic it'll be worth a few rounds at least.

It's a guess to say that there won't be any ranked online.
No ranked battles has been known since June when IGN did a follow-up interview with Masuda after the mistranslation about no online features.

"Battling and trading are both available online and locally, but online ranked battles, and other online features that have become common in recent Pokemon games like Wonder Trade, the Global Trade System (GTS) and Battle Spot, will not be available."

Anyway someone streamed a bit earlier today but they stopped around Lavender and got taken down. About candy we did see that Pokemon need to use more candy to gain stats as they consume more candy. The larger candy types still only boost by 1, but are only usable at higher levels.

Reactions: Eve
Anyway someone streamed a bit earlier today but they stopped around Lavender and got taken down. About candy we did see that Pokemon need to use more candy to gain stats as they consume more candy. The larger candy types still only boost by 1, but are only usable at higher levels.
So it's possible the final boost is lower than 200. It all depends on whether the portion of code about candy boost is checking Candy amount or stat boosts in that "200" condition.

Not a huge spoiler, but it was reported months ago that when playing the game in handheld mode you had to place the switch on a flat surface to use the Joystick to catch Pokémon as the motion control was thought to always stay on. However, I was told by someone who already has the game that the motion controls in Let’s Go are disabled when you move the joystick in Handheld mode and that handheld mode works great. Thank God lol

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont really have time to make a huge ass post right now, but something I want to bring up: I get the feeling that a lot of people dunking on competitive Let's Go haven't really invested in a lot of time in it. Just from tonight alone, I'm seeing the format rapidly diversify itself. It's still pretty slow paced (I mean its always going to be with those candy mechanics lol), but it still feels QUITE different from GSC.

In particular, Swords Dance Dodrio and Quiver Dance Venomoth are showing themselves to be quite dangerous sweepers, while I've started to see some interesting megas outside of Mega Alakazam (who I dont see as much as I did yesterday, I blame all the Alolan Muk lol) such as Venusaur, Blastoise, and Aerodactyl. Even the new mons like Melmetal and Partner Eevee seem to be proving their worth at the moment (granted, Pikachu only seems particularly good in the candyless format sadly).

The only Pokemon I think most who are playing may agree is a problem at the moment is Mew (this things set divisersity is nuts). But otherwise, this feels like a good example of not judging a book by its cover. This seems like a fun side format!

It sounds great that even the Partner Eevee seems to have its use in the meta.. Which moveset is the most useful for it?

They rereleased the GB games on the eShop and no one seemed to have a mental breakdown trying to figure out how to play those and then go back to the USUM meta. Plus, in-game has never really resembled competitive play anyway, eg defensive Pokémon are pretty much dead weight, EVs are meaningless, hazards are virtually useless, etc. Candies aside, I sincerely doubt the in-game experience will even be noticeably different from how it usually is since held items and abilities don’t carry much weight for the story run outside of maybe throwing a type-boosting item on something with matching STAB for a little extra power. I think at most they’ll take a few QOL changes from this and apply those to Gen 8; I would be truly shocked if the stripped down mechanics became the norm.

Edit: Also it’s not like hardcore Go players are going to be totally mystified by Gen 7 mechanics; if anything, CP is even more opaque than EVs and IVs already exist in Go.
No one had a mental breakdown because those rereleases didn't cost 60$

Right, but a lot of people who played those GB games from eShop actually played earlier generations. The main idea of battling to level up, weakening Pokemon to catch them remain unchanged. But now we have this random "walk around and feed candy to make them stronger" mechanic which is closer to Digimon than Pokemon. Hell, I actually wanted wild battles in Go instead of depending almost entirely on RNG to catch Pokemon. But is that going to be the thing going forward? Or will they bring back everything in the 2019 game and blow the minds of players whose first contact with Pokemon was Go?

CP in Go is actually the simplest way they can go about it. It's literally just one number. The higher the number, the stronger the Pokemon is. IVs and EVs are a lot more numbers put together which can confuse some of the older players IMO. Natures, abilities, and a several hundred more Pokemon in the 2019 game? Yeah I'm sure that will go down well for them, too.

I actually think their TA is players who have never played Pokemon until Go. Otherwise there is no need whatsoever to have so many tie-ins.

No one had a mental breakdown because those rereleases didn't cost 60$
The post I was replying to didn’t have anything to do with the price so not sure what your point is? I’m just talking about adjusting between games with different mechanics. It’s really not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. And insofar as PLGO being an intro to Go players to the main series I doubt they intend it to be an intro to competitive play anyway, rather just an intro to what the story mode is like and how mechanics from Go like Gyms translate over in the main games. PLGO is a fine introduction to that while keeping some familiar things from Go like the catching method.

Right, but a lot of people who played those GB games from eShop actually played earlier generations. The main idea of battling to level up, weakening Pokemon to catch them remain unchanged. But now we have this random "walk around and feed candy to make them stronger" mechanic which is closer to Digimon than Pokemon. Hell, I actually wanted wild battles in Go instead of depending almost entirely on RNG to catch Pokemon. But is that going to be the thing going forward? Or will they bring back everything in the 2019 game and blow the minds of players whose first contact with Pokemon was Go?

CP in Go is actually the simplest way they can go about it. It's literally just one number. The higher the number, the stronger the Pokemon is. IVs and EVs are a lot more numbers put together which can confuse some of the older players IMO. Natures, abilities, and a several hundred more Pokemon in the 2019 game? Yeah I'm sure that will go down well for them, too.

I actually think their TA is players who have never played Pokemon until Go. Otherwise there is no need whatsoever to have so many tie-ins.
Candies are pretty much a direct translation of Go’s power up mechanic so I don’t know how that will be confusing. And that’s not an entirely accurate description of CP as despite the name it’s not just the equivalent of Att/Spatt. It’s actually a total of three hidden stats that equate to HP (Stamina), Att/SpAtt (Attack) and Def/SpDef (Defense); it’s arguably more complicated than regular Pokémon stats since two Pokémon with the same IVs/EVs/nature will always have the same stats but two Pokémon with the same CP might be totally different. And as I said, IVs exist in Go, albeit an adjusted version (only for the three aforementioned stats and they only go up to 15). Level is also hidden in Go and has to be inferred visually. The whole system is pretty opaque, you can read more about it here: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-stats

If the us long-time players who got into Pokémon as kids could handle natures and held items when they showed up in RSE (yes held items technically existed in GSC but they didn’t remotely resemble how they are now) I’m sure Go players will be able to handle it too considering the age range of Go players extends a lot higher. And remember that Go to Gen 8 won’t be as many Pokémon added as it sounds because Go already has additional gens available that aren’t in PLGO.

I really think people are underestimating how hard it will be for Go players to make the transition. Pokémon is really not THAT complex especially if you don’t care about the competitive scene. The biggest adjustment will be the focus on PvE vs PvP. I also think a lot of people drawing this dramatic chasm between Go and the main games probably haven’t played Go since near its release and don’t realize how much it’s evolved in the direction of the core series.

Last edited:
Candies are pretty much a direct translation of Go’s power up mechanic so I don’t know how that will be confusing. And that’s not an entirely accurate description of CP as despite the name it’s not just the equivalent of Att/Spatt. It’s actually a total of three hidden stats that equate to HP (Stamina), Att/SpAtt (Attack) and Def/SpDef (Defense); it’s arguably more complicated than regular Pokémon stats since two Pokémon with the same IVs/EVs/nature will always have the same stats but two Pokémon with the same CP might be totally different. And as I said, IVs exist in Go, albeit an adjusted version (only for the three aforementioned stats and they only go up to 15). Level is also hidden in Go and has to be inferred visually. The whole system is pretty opaque, you can read more about it here: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-stats

If the us long-time players who got into Pokémon as kids could handle natures and held items when they showed up in RSE (yes held items technically existed in GSC but they didn’t remotely resemble how they are now) I’m sure Go players will be able to handle it too considering the age range of Go players extends a lot higher. And remember that Go to Gen 8 won’t be as many Pokémon added as it sounds because Go already has additional gens available that aren’t in PLGO.

I really think people are underestimating how hard it will be for Go players to make the transition. Pokémon is really not THAT complex especially if you don’t care about the competitive scene. The biggest adjustment will be the focus on PvE vs PvP. I also think a lot of people drawing this dramatic chasm between Go and the main games probably haven’t played Go since near its release and don’t realize how much it’s evolved in the direction of the core series.
It's going to be confusing when the 2019 game comes out, unless they're going to stick with candy in which case, fuck it.

What I meant is that while CP can be arguably more complicated as it involves combining different stats, it's represented as one number to display the overall strength of the Pokemon, thus making it more simplistic. Its opaqueness is actually beneficial to casual players because all they see is a number, and not all players feel the need to dive into the deeper workings of how that number is derived. Compare that to six different stats each having a different number and how total EVs can go up to 510 while each individual stat can have a max EV of 252, and 4 EV points equals an increase of 1 per stat. Yes, once you break it down, the whole EV system might be easier to understand, but like I said, not everyone wants to understand it. They see one number, they can simplify it as the higher the number the better.

Kids are faster learners than adults, especially when it comes to games. I'm talking folks in their 40s and 50s, though idk maybe that's not really the intended TA for PLG. Maybe Go will be up to gen 5 at the very least by the time gen 8 comes around, but the point still stands: abilities will be a pain for older new players.

I think you mean overestimating here, but that's neither here nor there. I've been playing Go all this time but honestly I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it evolving in the direction of the core series.

Can someone clarify if Double Iron Bash is a punching move or not?

Also, do both its hits have their own 30% chances to flinch or does the whole attack have a 30% chance to flinch?

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eevee/Pikachu Move Descriptions: https://pastebin.com/GyD93ued
Eevee gets some absurd stuff
Haze, Heal Bell, Reflect/Light Screen while attacking in the same time as well as leech seed and all the other stuff we knew before
rofl, Eevee can already be annoying from what we've been playing. Being able to Heal Bell stuff will basically make it top tier, may be as common as Mew is atm!

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone clarify if Double Iron Bash is a punching move or not?

Also, do both its hits have their own 30% chances to flinch or does the whole attack have a 30% chance to flinch?
It's a punching move.
I assume both of the dual-hit moves can inflict flinch (separate chances); however, idk how King's Rock worked in the past with multi-hit moves.

I'm pretty sure they've said Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee won't be influencing the gen 8 games in 2019 at all. I've also heard that if these games do well, they'll consider Let's Go games for the other previous regions. (obviously going in order starting with Johto)

I don't know if the latter is true or not, but I can certainly see Game Freak wanting to follow up on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee if the games are well received.

But I don't know. Maybe avoiding the 2019 games would be wise, albeit not for the reasons you bring up. That's up to you, of course.

It's a punching move.
I assume both of the dual-hit moves can flinch, idk how King's Rock worked in the past with multi-hit moves.
Alright, thanks a lot for the quick response.
Melmetal does seem real scary in Trick Room now... Can't wait for Gen 8 when this thing will be everywhere.

I'm pretty sure they've said Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee won't be influencing the gen 8 games in 2019 at all. I've also heard that if these games do well, they'll consider Let's Go games for the other previous regions. (obviously going in order starting with Johto)

I don't know if the latter is true or not, but I can certainly see Game Freak wanting to follow up on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee if the games are well received.

But I don't know. Maybe avoiding the 2019 games would be wise, albeit not for the reasons you bring up. That's up to you, of course.
I hope they stick to their word, but sometimes things change. If it doesn't do particularly well, I'd imagine that they'd want to bring in some elements that were well-received from PLG into gen 8 and further.

It's a punching move.
I assume both of the dual-hit moves can inflict flinch (separate chances); however, idk how King's Rock worked in the past with multi-hit moves.
Kings Rock has a seperate check for each move, but it doesn't stack with other flinch chances.
Alright, thanks a lot for the quick response.
Melmetal does seem real scary in Trick Room now... Can't wait for Gen 8 when this thing will be everywhere.
Since there's no TR in Lets Go it'll probably get nerfed to 30% chance with the 2 hits
Also 8 pp really harms it.

Last edited:
I hope they stick to their word, but sometimes things change. If it doesn't do particularly well, I'd imagine that they'd want to bring in some elements that were well-received from PLG into gen 8 and further.
They have no reason ro not stick to their words, because breaking the standard RPG mechanics for the actual main series would cause excessive outrage.

One thing is trying stuff for a likely one-time spinoff (no matter how many times they'll call it main series to milk money off it), one is to break what players and fan have been used to for 20 years.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, any attempts to make a metagame out of LG is a hopeless endeavor because of how fat and bulky everyone is with the free candy boosts and friendship boosts. Unless you really liked Gen 2's stall meta, this doesn't look appealing. And yes, I would like to see the changes to the chargeup moves and to Teleport make it into the gen 8 games, but considering this is Gamefreak, who knows. As it stands, this is not your PvP game, and shouldn't be attempted to be made into one.

Oh, and in regards to why Sheer Cold Articuno... that only worked because it had Mind Reader. That's not here in Lets GO. Relying on 30% accuracy to deal with overly tanky mons is a horrible strategy that will fail more often than it will help out, and the fails will be spectacular.
That does not make sense. In a world where nothing dies, having a move that KOes 30 % of the time is broken. Your bulk gives you plenty of tries to hit, and hitting only once already gives you a huge advantage. It's a bit like scald spam, except that instead of being burned you die, and instead of having 3 switchins you have only Gengar.

I'm personally really curious in the let's go metagame. Stall breaking looks different than in classical metagames, but infinite rocks and limited defensive movepool/abilities will likely prevent fullstall

Theorymon

That does not make sense. In a world where nothing dies, having a move that KOes 30 % of the time is broken. Your bulk gives you plenty of tries to hit, and hitting only once already gives you a huge advantage. It's a bit like scald spam, except that instead of being burned you die, and instead of having 3 switchins you have only Gengar.

I'm personally really curious in the let's go metagame. Stall breaking looks different than in classical metagames, but infinite rocks and limited defensive movepool/abilities will likely prevent fullstall
I'd agree that was the case (in fact so much so that Chansey and Snorlax usage tanked really early in the test server some people have been playing on lol), but with Eevee basically having a 24 PP Healing Bell that can't be blocked by Taunt, I could see things getting stallier. Note though, as soon as Eevee goes down, then teams become extremely vulnerable to status or getting thier Rest turns set up on (yes there are actual sweepers in this format, like Dodrio, Venomoth, Mega Alakazam, etc).

Eevee itself also relies on a Leech Seed attack thing (Sappy Seed) to restore its health. Eevee is still a pain in the ass to KO because of it, but I imagine the metagame will adapt to it. It's still gonna be extremely good though, and basically the closest you can get to true stall in this format imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)