Research Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee Mechanics Research

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rules for this Thread

1. Discussion is limited to suggestions for the list, or new information revealed on battle mechanics. Limit discussion to battle mechanics only. Therefore, DO NOT discuss competitive implications for the new changes.

2. Avoid vague questions like "does X still work the same?" or "How does new move Y work?" We need a specific idea to test.

Moves NOT present in LGPE: https://pastebin.com/v9cuj21J

Flags for new moves: https://pastebin.com/8YfxAa4P

Questions to be researched:
  1. Are friendship boosts applied to Pokemon when playing in the standard rules format for pvp?

New Mechanics

Friendship Multiplier:
  • Depending on your friendship with your Pokemon they may receive a 10% boost to all stats except for HP.
Awakened Values (AVs):
  • Original EVs no longer used for stat calculation.
  • Every stat is capped at a 200 AV boost and 1 AV is equivalent to +1 boost on that stat (ex: Pokemon with an HP stat of 300 + 200 AVs would result in an HP stat of 500 for that Pokemon)
  • AVs are gained from candy items.
  • AV boosts are applied after the Friendship multiplier to stats.
Partner Moves (Pika Papow / VeeVee Volley):
  • Unique moves triggered by your partner Pokemon, power depends on your friendship with your partner and never miss.
  • Base power for each move ranges from 1-102 similar to Return.
  • If the motions to perform the moves are performed while your Partner Pokemon is not active instead it will raise your active Pokemon's stats by 1 stage.

New Moves

*Exclusive to Partner Pikachu*

Zippy Zap:
  • +2 Priority always crits.
  • Coded to raise the user's evasion by 1 stage but the effect does not occur in-game.

Splishy Splash:
  • 30% chance to inflict paralysis.
  • Hits multiple targets in double battles.

Floaty Fall:
  • 30% chance to flinch.

*Exclusive to Partner Eevee*

Sizzly Slide:
  • 100% chance to burn target.

Bouncy Bubble:
  • Drains 50% of damage dealt as HP to the user.

Buzzy Buzz:
  • 100% chance to paralyze target.

Baddy Bad:
  • Sets an effect that reduces physical damage for five turns after the move is used, like Reflect.

Glitzy Glow:
  • Sets an effect that reduces special damage for five turns after the move is used, like Light Screen.

Sappy Seed:
  • Seeds the opposing Pokemon similar to Leech Seed and drains its HP every turn.

Freezy Frost:
  • Clears all stat changes similar to Haze.

Sparkly Swirl:
  • Removes all status conditions from the user and the party similar to Aromatherapy.

*Exclusive to Melmetal*

Double Iron Bash:
  • Deals two hits with a chance to flinch the target.
  • Boosted by Iron Fist.
Changes to existing Moves / Mechanics
  • Teleport changed to -6 priority with an effect that swaps the user with another Pokemon in the party.
  • Absorb changed to 40 BP / 15 PP
  • Mega Drain changed to 75 BP / 10 PP.
  • Solarbeam changed to 200 BP.
  • Sky attack changed to 200 BP.
  • Metronome only calls moves introduced in Generation 1 with the exception of Counter, Mimic, Metronome, Mirror Move, Transform and Struggle.

Last edited:
Serebii is saying that all Pokemon are capped at 10,000 CP but to get there its affect by Natures? Or something like that. Can we get clarification on how Nature plays into CP value?

Are the friendship moves 1-102BP?
Does Hyper Beam work as in Gen1, as in, if it KOes something it doesn't need to recharge?
Gen1 Hyper Beam was a bug b/c they fixed it in stadium (like sub and status), so I assume it recharges unless it misses.

Last edited:
Also there is a new move Flag (F18) in use. Only moves that premiered in Gen1 have this flag, with the exception of Counter, Mimic, Metronome, Mirror Move, Transform and Struggle.
Is the flag F18 representing the moves that can be used by Metronome? In particular, I'm interested in knowing whether Metronome is able to use any moves outside this list, like Stealth Rock.

The reason why I suspect this may be the case is that not all moves are available in Let's Go, and it seems reasonable to restrict Metronome somewhat so that it wouldn't use moves outside of the first generation which may not make sense with Let's Go mechanics.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Is the flag F18 representing the moves that can be used by Metronome? In particular, I'm interested in knowing whether Metronome is able to use any moves outside this list, like Stealth Rock.

The reason why I suspect this may be the case is that not all moves are available in Let's Go, and it seems reasonable to restrict Metronome somewhat so that it wouldn't use moves outside of the first generation which may not make sense with Let's Go mechanics.
After testing metronome for Marty, I found that the only callable moves are moves with this flag

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Are the friendship moves 1-102BP?

Gen1 Hyper Beam was a bug b/c they fixed it in stadium (like sub and status), so I assume it recharges unless it misses.
Sorry for double post

Yes they are. Imagine them like return clones.

Curious about transferring Pokemon from Go to Let's Go. I've seen that HP/ATK/DEF follow the formula 2x+1, and speed is random, but is there a definitive conversion formula for CP?

Can the pseudo-Reflect/Light Screen effects from Eevee’s attacks be removed by Brick Break? Similarly, can the pseudo-Leech Seed effect be removed by Rapid Spin?

Also, not sure if this thread is exclusive to battle mechanics but I was wondering how the color of the catch ring is determined. Is level and/or CP a factor? I ran into two Pokémon that were the same species in the same area and one had a yellow ring while the other had a green ring. The second one was not tiny (which seems to make Pokémon easier to catch based on my anecdotal evidence, but that may also just be coincidence since I haven’t been tracking the correlation too closely).

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
According to the new move description, Rest now only keeps a 'mon asleep for two turns; no more no less. I'll test this and get back to y'all.

what

nobody tells me anything, I've seen mons be asleep for three or more turns on showdown. mb y'all!
The sleep timer for enemy-induced sleep has changed over time but Rest has always been 2 turns (technically it was 2 in Gen 1, waking up on the second turn but not being able to attack, and 3 turns starting in Gen 2 with your Pokémon waking up at the beginning of turn 3 and being able to attack, but the effect is basically the same).

Something confusing about the LGPE OU thread is abilities. I thought abilities weren't in the game. What's that about? How do abilities exist for say, Meltan and Melmetal?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something confusing about the LGPE OU thread is abilities. I thought abilities weren't in the game. What's that about? How do abilities exist for say, Meltan and Melmetal?
LGPE doesn't have abilities as a feature but they are still coded presumably for future games that those Pokemon will appear and those games will have abilities. A while back Masuda hinted at LGPE having some form of connectivity with Generation 8 games so potentially it was due to that.

I don't have these games, but if anyone wants to see if the 16-bit overflow step still applies, here's a fairly simple outline. Of course, without abilities or items, it's not possible to repeatedly take aim at a Focus Sash or Sturdy with steps being taken in between to restore it, and all 16-bit setups have to single out just one possible random roll they want to check for, so you can't help but have any of the other 15 rolls result in a KO, possibly requiring you to start the whole battle over. To alleviate that somewhat, this outline was designed to minimize the battle length, so that restarts are minimally painful.

You need:
-a level 1 Magnemite (presumably transferred from Go) with a -defense nature, presuming that such a thing as possible (the lowest defense stat it can have is 5). If you have more than one of these, so much the better.
-a level 100 Primeape (chosen for its access to Screech and non-STAB Earthquake), with those two moves and enough candies in attack to put the stat at exactly 394

On the first turn, have Primeape use Screech to cut Magnemite's Defense to 2, while Magnemite uses some wasteful move like Tackle that isn't going to be any kind of threat for quite a while. In case Screech misses, just keep repeating those same moves until it hits.
On the second turn, Primeape uses Earthquake. You would obviously expect this to be a KO, but if the 16-bit step remains unchanged from previous games, and if the random roll showed up with the second-highest possibility, then the attack would be slated to deal exactly 65536 damage, and roll over to 0 damage instead (not 1, since this step has always been located after the check for a minimum of 1 damage).

If anyone wants to try repeated attempts at this battle plan, finding one where you get the 0 damage hit would immediately confirm the mechanic still works the same way. Alternatively, if you somehow get a hit to deal 1 damage, that would confirm that the 16-bit limit still exists but also that they moved it to happen before the minimum-1 check. If you never get a hit that Magnemite survives, you'd need 36 trials in order to be 90% confident that a particular random roll would have come up at least once (and thus, if it did come up, the programming has been changed to let it avoid rolling over in these cases). 95% confidence would take 47 trials, and 99% would take 72; if you set the battle up as a 1-on-6 with 6 suitable Magnemites, it would therefore take only 12 battle restarts in order to achieve that confidence level.

Considering each individual Pokémon has its own weight, which weight does Low Kick consider when dealing damage? The individual's, or the species's according to the Pokédex?

(I presume the latter, but it's Game Freak we are talking about...)

I recently discovered the LGPE Calc http://cantsay.github.io/ and changing the happiness values i discovered that all my pokemons stats match the calc when the happiness is set to 70.
PokemonShowdown automatically maxes happiness, however, I believe that is incorrect as I've tried using max happiness mons in game and still not reached max stats

Alakazam's Stats at Team Preview

Alakazam's IVs

Aerodactyl's Stats at Team Preview

Aerodactyl's IVs

Aerodactyl has Max Happiness

Calc Displaying Aerodactyl's and Alakazam's Spreads with 70 Happiness

I have more Team Preview screenshots if you'd like more proof towards happiness being 70

I also took the liberty of compiling a Discord Server https://discord.gg/gzJvAFd where ive taken screenshots of Pokeaim's pokemons sets from his youtube videos and also some from itzGator's last Draft battle and compared them to the calc with 70 happiness and they all match.(Attatched Below)
Joey's Pokemon

Gator's Pokemon

Ive also created a speed tiers sheet using 70 happiness in the formula. Feel free to compare these to in game mons at Team Preview

Last edited:
I've been chaining for mass EXP for a while now and something is really unclear to me. Sometimes I get 80.000+ EXP for a single Chansey capture. Other captures are just ~20.000 EXP, while there is literally no difference between the ways the Chansey were captured. Both first throw, both excellent, both synchronised, both same size, so forth. What's causing this difference? I really have no idea. If we figure out what's causing this we can really exploit this mechanism in terms of power leveling. I tested a couple of things I could think of, such as:

Does it have to do with my personal record on the Pokemon? For instance, maybe if I break my record on size/weight of that Pokemon the multiplier will be much higher?
Answer: No

Maybe it's set on certain numbers? For instance, maybe the 150th Chansey in a chain will always hoard 80.000+ EXP?

Does it have to do with how quickly I capture it? Maybe shorter wait before throwing = higher multiplier?

Does it have to do with the Pokemon that's in the front of my party?

I've been chaining for mass EXP for a while now and something is really unclear to me. Sometimes I get 80.000+ EXP for a single Chansey capture. Other captures are just ~20.000 EXP, while there is literally no difference between the ways the Chansey were captured. Both first throw, both excellent, both synchronised, both same size, so forth. What's causing this difference? I really have no idea. If we figure out what's causing this we can really exploit this mechanism in terms of power leveling. I tested a couple of things I could think of, such as:

Does it have to do with my personal record on the Pokemon? For instance, maybe if I break my record on size/weight of that Pokemon the multiplier will be much higher?

Maybe it's set on certain numbers? For instance, maybe the 150th Chansey in a chain will always hoard 80.000+ EXP?

Does it have to do with how quickly I capture it? Maybe shorter wait before throwing = higher multiplier?

Does it have to do with the Pokemon that's in the front of my party?
There are actually 5 sizes in LGP/E. XS, S, Regular, L, XL.

There's no way to determine XS/XL until after you catch the pokemon, but they have different multipliers. I'm not 100% sure what the exact numbers are, but I'm fairly certain S/L is only 1.2 whereas XS/XL is 4.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)